Need receiver depth, stability

stoicsentry

So right now we have:

1. Holmes

2. Plex

3. Cotchery

4-6: Kerley/Turner/McKnight

I would love to sign a *young* #3 type receiver to EVENTUALLY replace Jerricho Cotchery. We definitely need more depth at the position. Would it be huge to sign a player like this? Probably not, but the fact of the matter is if we ever have to go 4 or 5 wide, we have some problems. Yes, you could put Keller out there, but with the possibility of injuries and what not... would be nice to have an extra guy, just a solid, average receiver. In my mind, Chansi Stuckey is the type of guy I would like to see (except younger than him).

Another concern is stability. Whether you buy into Sanchez as the QB of the future or not, it certainly doesn't help him that we have been playing musical chairs with receivers since he got here. Other teams grab young receivers and have them develop with their quarterback. We have had precisely ZERO young receivers to develop with Sanchez, except with Keller. Holmes is new and late 20's, Cotchery is a solid veteran that is good to have but he's not growing up with Mark.

So right now we have:

1. Holmes

2. Plex

3. Cotchery

I would love to sign a *young* #3 type receiver to EVENTUALLY replace Jerricho Cotchery. We definitely need more depth at the position. Would it be huge to sign a player like this? Probably not, but the fact of the matter is if we ever have to go 4 or 5 wide, we have some problems. Yes, you could put Keller out there, but with the possibility of injuries and what not... would be nice to have an extra guy, just a solid, average receiver. In my mind, Chansi Stuckey is the type of guy I would like to see (except younger than him).

Another concern is stability. Whether you buy into Sanchez as the QB of the future or not, it certainly doesn't help him that we have been playing musical chairs with receivers since he got here. Other teams grab young receivers and have them develop with their quarterback. We have had precisely ZERO young receivers to develop with Sanchez, except with Keller. Holmes is new and late 20's, Cotchery is a solid veteran that is good to have but he's not growing up with Mark.

Malcom Floyd would be perfect with his type of size. Not sure why the jets arent looking at him more closely. He wont cost a lot either and can take over for buress in a year

I can see T.O being brought in for just that. A 3rd down, red zone threat.

I wouldve said Owens if buress wasnt signed but you dont want to end up like the redskins with old washed up has beens. Jets need to get younger at WR and have some continuity with sanchez for the long haul

Malcom Floyd would be perfect with his type of size. Not sure why the jets arent looking at him more closely. He wont cost a lot either and can take over for buress in a year

Probably a little out of our price range, but I would take a look at him. At 29 on the verge of 30 (September), he's a little older than I would like.

I like the Plex move myself because you have him motivated (1 yr contract), and you get him on the cheap, so that will help us afford other free agents. But my concern is, with Buress on a one year deal we will once again have to fill the #2 (or 1a or 1b) receiver role on the team next year. Sadly, we have no one who can develop into that right now.

So are we just going to keep patching up our receiver situation every year or what? Think we need to target a 1st round receiver next year for sure.

Probably a little out of our price range, but I would take a look at him. At 29 on the verge of 30 (September), he's a little older than I would like.

I like the Plex move myself because you have him motivated (1 yr contract), and you get him on the cheap, so that will help us afford other free agents. But my concern is, with Buress on a one year deal we will once again have to fill the #2 (or 1a or 1b) receiver role on the team next year. Sadly, we have no one who can develop into that right now.

So are we just going to keep patching up our receiver situation every year or what? Think we need to target a 1st round receiver next year for sure.

Well although not big, perhaps when can screw the Eagles and get DeSean?

Meh, we drafted depth.

I disagree. I don't think we drafted depth, I think we drafted to survive. Technically, you pretty much have to go to war with 5 receivers. So we filled up our roster with Kerley (LOL) and McKnight (LOL). Don't believe in either one of them. Hope neither hits the field except on special teams.

That would be a tremendous move. I can't see it happening but who knows with Trader Mike on board!

Fitzgerald is scheduled to be a free agent next year as well. That would be a helluva move pairing him up with Holmes. Again, he'll probably want to be paid the highest amongst all WRs though.

Jets would be the only team to carry 375 receivers on game day roster if it were up to some of you.

lol. What about being a "run-first" offense do fans not get? We don't have 50 backs on the roster just to be flinging it around the field all day with our borderline retard QB. PATRICK TURNER FTW!!!!!ONE111!!!!!11

So right now we have:

1. Holmes

2. Plex

3. Cotchery

No offense to you, but this post makes zero sense to me. You want to bring in another body so that you can have stability?

They drafted two guys to take on the Chansi Stuckey role. Those are the guys to develop. You aren't going to get anybody younger than Stuckey as a FA because they are going to be restricted. As for guys that they are developing, I assume that is what they are doing with Turner and Cumberland. Mulligan too for that matter. In addition to the guys they drafted, they have kept Logan Payne around for some time and brought in some priority FAs this offseason - I think that Courtney Smith has a real chance. It seems to me that you are complaining about cutting Clowney loose at the start of last season. They carried 3 WR for a many games over the past few years and rarely carried more than 4 and that's with Brad Smith who performed other roles but did very little as a WR. I can't see bringing in MORE bodies to go beyond 6, unless it's a monster type like Desean Jackson.

I can see T.O being brought in for just that. A 3rd down, red zone threat.

Perfect analysis. Bring in T.O. because his is just the type of young WR to have develop with Mark Sanchez over time.

Perfect analysis. Bring in T.O. because his is just the type of young WR to have develop with Mark Sanchez over time.

I dont remember reading where T.O caused any problems in Cincy or Buffalo last season. The guy knows hes nearing the end of his career, I doubt he signs to cause trouble and be a distraction. Rex wont allow it.

I dont remember reading where T.O caused any problems in Buffalo last season. The guy knows hes nearing the end of his career, I doubt he signs to cause trouble and be a distraction. Rex wont allow it.

Hard to cause trouble in Buffalo when playing for Cincinnati.

First of all, baring injury, the Jets are set at WR for this year.

Second, I'd love it if the Jets drafted a WR in the first round next year (depending on value, yadda yadda), but I wouldn't hold my breath. Jets haven't drafted a WR higher than the fourth round since they took Santana Moss in 2001. It's just not the way the Jets address the position.

There's some logic to it. WR's probably bust at a higher rate than any position outside of QB. And given the Jets' propensity for trading away draft picks since Bradway took over here, it's rare for them to have enough picks to really take a chance on a player. They prefer going the proven route. Like Holmes, Edwards, and Justin McCareins. Or Plaxico Burress. Hopefully Kerley winds up eventually contributing as much -or more- than fellow fourth rounders Jerricho Cotchery and Brad Smith. He's not in terrible company in that regard.

So right now we have:

1. Holmes

2. Plex

3. Cotchery

They drafted two stuckeys... Lol free agency is ruining people's logic

Jesus. Did you REALLY have to mention him? So many bad memories.....

My way of saying I'm not thrilled with the way the Jets address the WR position. :lol:

If they signed James Jones, I was gonna be unhappy. At least I know Plaxico can be a capable mercenary.

My way of saying I'm not thrilled with the way the Jets address the WR position. :lol:

If they signed James Jones, I was gonna be unhappy. At least I know Plaxico can be a capable mercenary.

We are all banking on Plax being the Plax he was pre-jail. We know what Edwards did last season for this team.

Archived