Kroul moving to O-line

Larz

things that make you go hmmmmmm.....

My link

Posted by Randy Lange on August 8, 2011 – 12:38 pm

Updated 1 p.m. EDT

It isn’t done too often, but there have been some success stories regarding defensive linemen who have jumped over the trench to play on the offensive line. The Jets have perhaps Exhibit A in the NFL right now in Brandon Moore.

And maybe they have Exhibit B in Matt Kroul.

“I found out two days ago,” Kroul told me on Sunday of the new position on his football résumé. “The last time I played on the offensive line? Probably my sophomore year in high school. Obviously the footwork, the lean, the body position, it’s all different. But a lot of it is football. It’s feet apart, hands inside.

“They told me to kind of learn offense and defense and then I can be there for either, if there are injuries or whatnot, and also hopefully to make this team, be a guy that can do everything — special teams, offense, defense.”

Kroul even got a number switch, from 98 in green, his number last season when he got his NFL debut with roles in six games, to 66 in white.

For some players, such a move might precede the next move into a cab for the airport. But Kroul has shown staying power as a pro. He set an Iowa record with 50 consecutive starts, then came to the Jets as an undrafted free agent in 2009 and stuck around.

Now head coach Rex Ryan is foreseeing a possible future for Kroul.

“Matt’s a smart guy. He can always pop over to defense,” Ryan said at today’s midday news conference at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. “His weights up to just over 310. … I know Bart [scott] was calling him ‘the fat Faneca,’ making him feel good. But he looked pretty good over there.

“This guy’s a tough guy. He was an Iowa state champion in wrestling, so he’s got great balance. And he’s smart and tough. Just go look at our starting guard — I think Brandon’s the best guard in football, and he’s sitting over there as a former defensive lineman. Maybe Kroul will be one of those guys who plays 10 years as an offensive lineman.”

A big reason for this move is because of Moore, who remains on the Physically Unable to Perform list from his offseason hip surgery. But he’s also had a hand in this particular line dance.

“There’s some awesome veterans on this offensive line with Nick at center and Brandon,” Kroul said. “He’s a guy that made the switch, too, in his career. I definitely have some resources over there. And Coach [bill] Callahan is one of the best O-line coaches in the league. I definitely have the right people in front of me.”

Kroul, who’s working at guard now and could eventually learn center as well, is eager to make this work.

“I haven’t established myself as a defensive lineman, but I’ve been there for two years on a good team, so teams know I can play defense,” he said. “If this switch happens for real, I’ll be the best I can be here and go with it.”

Rex Cetera

Asked about punter and former Australian Rules athlete Chris Bryan, Ryan said: “The thing you notice about him is he takes about 4 yards to get the ball off. Most guys stride longer than that. And maybe it’s because he’s left-footed, but he just booms it. Westy’s doing different things with him. I’ve been impressed with him.”

Westy, of course, is ST coach Mike Westhoff. Ryan opened his news conference with a plug for the Westhoff bobble head promotion. Fans can preorder the bobble head, which won’t be manufactured unless the company making it gets 288 orders (and of course no orders will be processed unless the Westy collectible is made). “Westy’s bought 286 and I bought one,” said Rex, “so there’s still one more” that has to be sold.

Ryan was asked about the Jets’ young, still-under-the-radar but promising defensive line. We’ll have stories and video on the D-line but Ryan had an interesting take on how this line is influencing practices. “You look at that group out there now and there’s seven, eight guys you feel really good about,” he said. “Our second defensive line right now is so much better than our second offensive line. [Mark] Brunell’s back there and can’t even get a pass off. That group’s been really dominant. I think thats’ what’s tilting practices.”

Today’s afternoon training camp practice is closed to the public, but Tuesday’s practice is open. Wednesday is an off day, then open practices are scheduled from Thursday through Saturday. … Trivia answer: Derrick Mason, Hall of Fame WR Jerry Rice and HOF-to-be TE Tony Gonzalez all have streaks of 11 seasons with at least 60 catches and 750 yards.

Westy, of course, is ST coach Mike Westhoff. Ryan opened his news conference with a plug for the Westhoff bobble head promotion. Fans can preorder the bobble head, which won’t be manufactured unless the company making it gets 288 orders (and of course no orders will be processed unless the Westy collectible is made). “Westy’s bought 286 and I bought one,” said Rex, “so there’s still one more” that has to be sold.

How funny is Rex Ryan?

Anyway, this Kroul move tells me the Jets are very happy with the rest of their DL, and are looking to give Kroul a shot to make the team as a swingman.

Conversely, it may say something about what they think of their OL depth, too. Still rooting for Ducasse, but maybe he's more of a project than they originally thought.

How funny is Rex Ryan?

Anyway, this Kroul move tells me the Jets are very happy with the rest of their DL, and are looking to give Kroul a shot to make the team as a swingman.

Conversely, it may say something about what they think of their OL depth, too. Still rooting for Ducasse, but maybe he's more of a project than they originally thought.

I think this is a huge knock on Ducasse. Rex stated Hunter was the best backup RT in the league and now he needs to become the best starting right tackle in the league. Now he's converting a UDFA D-lineman to play guard, Ducasse's other expected position. Beyond that, he hasn't said squat about VLad's progress and I noticed Vlad was struggling in practice Sunday. Add the comment about the 2nd Dline being way better than the 2nd O-line and I think the writing is on the wall.

I think this is a huge knock on Ducasse. Rex stated Hunter was the best backup RT in the league and now he needs to become the best starting right tackle in the league. Now he's converting a UDFA D-lineman to play guard, Ducasse's other expected position. Beyond that, he hasn't said squat about VLad's progress and I noticed Vlad was struggling in practice Sunday. Add the comment about the 2nd Dline being way better than the 2nd O-line and I think the writing is on the wall.

No way. There is no way that the Jets are moving a midget DT to guard because he hates Ducasse. You can't have enough depth and this is a shot in the dark. It would be like claiming that the Jets signing Drew Willy is a knock on Sanchez.

He'll be released in 3 weeks. This stuff never works.

Really? Never? It's not likely, but you have heard of Brandon Moore? Very similar story, except that he had the World League to go and play in while he developed. I'd say that story was a success.

This is just a case that Rex really likes the kid, but he just doesn't have the physical skills, so he is hoping to find a spot for him.

He'll probably be gone in a few weeks.

No reflection on Ducasse at all. Ducasse was one of the players that was really hurt by the lock out. This kid badly needed time with the CS, and in the film room this offseason, and couldn't get it.

Hope it didn't cost him a full year of development

For all of you trying to use this as a judgment against Ducasse, you are all aware that he's currently working with the first team at RG in place of Moore, right? Just checking.

RichCimini Rich Cimini

#Jets walk through: Rob Turner, not Vlad Ducasse, at starting RG for Brandon Moore (hip).

In his presser Rex mentioned this. Basically said that they weren't going to use Ducasse as RG because he was making great progress as a RT, and they are sure that's where he will play, and didn't want to burden him with learning 2 positions.

He played in the buffalo game last year, and played pretty well. I know again, like with McKnight, it was only Buffalo, but he was still playing against NFL players.

Think the kid is going to be fine. He's just real green

Well fine, but he started off there at least. :-P

To be honest, I was kind of surprised Turner wasn't the one in at RG from day one. This year it's obviously going to be Turner as the primary backup for the 3 interior spots and Ducasse as the swing tackle, so it seemed odd he was playing at RG. Regardless, the point still stands that there's nothing to say Kroul's conversion has anything to do with Ducasse outside of some people needing an excuse for more negativity. Of course that doesn't mean Ducasse won't turn out to be a bust, but it gets ridiculous when people are looking for reason to try to prove it already.

Archived