The Jets need to either go 13-3 or 12-4 this up coming season.

JetsFanFromQueens

Nicely put, I also think that a one game improvement (12-4) can win them the division if they beat the Pats twice. Which I think the Jets can do. I think the Pats are predicted by some (mostly the front runner, Pats backers ESPN) as being 13-3 and 14-2. I don't think that will happen. I see a home field playoff game...but take a look at the rest of the field, aside from the Steelers, do you see going 13-3? I think in the AFC the high water mark will be 12-4 this year. Let's hope that our Jets take a one game improvement and if they do I believe we will win the division, and get a bye and home field advantage in the playoffs.

Good post. Now, I agree with what your saying, but I'm not expecting to sweep the Patriots this year (I haven't set my expectations that high), I'll settle for a series spit such as 09 and last year. Now, if we could split with NE during the regular season last season, followed by a playoff victory on the road against this team... It's not out of the realm to believe we can sweep these guys 2-0 during the regular season; this isn't the Herm or Mangini era anymore, we've seen another culutre led by Rex Ryan himself. We're a different football team from what our franchise has ever seen. I truly believe they can't contain us playing our best football for 4 quarters strong. If the Jets were to actually take two games from the Patriots, I can't see them going 13-3 or even 12-4. Not this year. vs Chargers, vs Cowboys, @ the Steelers, @ Philly, vs the Colts, vs the Chiefs etc etc. They pretty much play the same teams as the Jets do, but the difference in strength of schedule is Pittsburgh and Indy. Could become a big difference when compared to the Ravens and Jaguars. Now the Steelers? They're a different breed. This team is prime for another strong playoff push. They have an outrageous schedule though. No matter how much I respect Pittsburgh, I can't picture them going 13-3 either. Ravens 2x, @ Indy, vs the Ravens, vs the Patriots, @ the Chiefs... They have plenty of tough games on the road. I think you're correct, 13-3 earns you home field advantage throughout with 12-4 giving you a first round bye depending on tiebreakers. Either way, I feel it's a must we improve a game upon last season setting our franchise record for most wins during the regular season of 12. Anything more than 12 would become ideal.

I think the Pats will win their yearly Regular Season Championship again. 7 years running now right?

At least this will put Sanchez in the record books for most playoff road game victories in NFL history. Right now he is tied for the record.

Important game does not equal must-win game.

No one argues that games aren't important or meaningful in September. But they are not "must win" games. Being 0-3 isn't what makes a team so unlikely to make the playoffs. Being 0-3 is overwhelmingly a symptom of a team not being good enough to make the playoffs no matter which games came first.

Every game is a must win. Are you serious? Losing 3 in September is just as bad as losing 3 in December and reflects on the record in the same exact way. Yes, time is linear, so at the end you feel the pressure of getting the right results, but in reality it's the same thing.

And guys, please stop being positive. We're a 9-7 at best clearly, we lost all of our best players and replaced them with nursing home patients, didn't you hear?

Every game is a must win. Are you serious? Losing 3 in September is just as bad as losing 3 in December and reflects on the record in the same exact way. Yes, time is linear, so at the end you feel the pressure of getting the right results, but in reality it's the same thing.

And guys, please stop being positive. We're a 9-7 at best clearly, we lost all of our best players and replaced them with nursing home patients, didn't you hear?

Every game is not a must-win until you are in an elimination game, whether that is a game eliminating you from the possibility of a playoff spot or whether it is a playoff game itself. Too often teams with 1-2 or 4-5 records are faced with matchups that are called "must win" games.

The same was said about us in the Falcons game last year. In the end we came one injured CB and one in-the-doghouse CB away from reaching the SB after losing said "must win" game.

The year before that the Bolts were 4-7 with a Nov 30 matchup (different from a "December" game in name only) also against Atlanta. They lost that one also. Then they won their last 3 and Denver lost their last 3. SD went to the playoffs and knocked off the Colts in Indy.

My point is September games are not must-win. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy because it is uncommon for playoff/SB teams to lose 3 September games. They're usually good enough to knock off at least 2 of their first 4 opponents. Meanwhile there's probably at least 1 team playoff team every other year that lost 3 games in September (or if their 4th game wasn't until October, still dropping 3 of their first 4). 2008 Vikings, 2007 Chargers, 2005 Bears, 2004 Packers, 2002 Falcons, 2002 Jets, 2002 Steelers. (Stopped looking there). All started either 1-3 or 1-4.

To say every game is a must-win ignores math since there have been dozens of superbowl winners and only one of them didn't lose any games. Every team loses games and almost every playoff team loses a game or two in September. One more loss just means you have to turn one otherwise Oct-Dec loss into a win. Hell, a couple of the teams I named above dropped 4 of their first 5 and still went to the playoffs. I guarantee you every single person saw a 1-3 team in a "must win" situation before losing their 5th game...and then go on to the playoffs anyway.

Teams that lose 3-4 games that early aren't eventually out of playoff contention by math. They're eliminated because the losing continued and starting out 0-3 or 1-3 or 1-4 was just a symptom of them being a sucky team all along. But in effect, 3 losses in September don't count more than 3 losses in Oct or Nov. The only difference is with the latter you actually could be mathematically eliminating yourself.

Your last comment I sympathize with completely. Every year there are depressed off-season headline addicts who think the sky is falling with each name-FA signing or trade we weren't involved in. We had people here blasting the Jets nonstop for letting the Patriots "steal" Victor Hobson (and then Chris Baker) and for outbidding us for Adalius Thomas. At no point was there the more realistic reason for off-season depression a la, "Ah what's the difference who we get and who we don't? New England has Tom Brady and Bill Belichick and we have Chad Pennington and Herm Ed-tards [or Eric Mangini]." That isn't the case anymore as we have a HC in Ryan who has outcoached and beaten BB in most of the matchups since he got here despite NE's lopsided QB advantage.

Well, I'm just glad the players don't feel the same. I hope they view every single game as a must win until they're 15-0 with 1 game to go. The Bills game last year certainly wasn't a must win, because we won the necessary games earlier in the season. You only perceive certain sitations as must win because that team lost a bunch early on and now needs to play catch up. If they won their September games you wouldn't see it that way. It's the same math no matter how you look at it. I stake just as much importance in early games as late games. I'd much rather start the season ahead, than behind, plus its great for momentum moving forward.

Well, I'm just glad the players don't feel the same. I hope they view every single game as a must win until they're 15-0 with 1 game to go. The Bills game last year certainly wasn't a must win, because we won the necessary games earlier in the season. You only perceive certain sitations as must win because that team lost a bunch early on and now needs to play catch up. If they won their September games you wouldn't see it that way. It's the same math no matter how you look at it. I stake just as much importance in early games as late games. I'd much rather start the season ahead, than behind, plus its great for momentum moving forward.

I hope they play every game like that as well, just like I wish they'd played like that in the AFCCG in Pittsburgh.

The fact remains that there are no "must win" games in September, however much it would sure help a whole lot to not lose 3 of the first 4. Likewise, the Jets most definitely do not "need to either go 13-3 or 12-4 this upcoming season." It would be very, very helpful if they did. But they do not "need" to.

95% of the time if you lose the first 3 games out of the gate, what you "needed" - more than 1 heartbreak loss to have been a win - is to have had better coaching and players from the get-go.

Archived