The Jets need to either go 13-3 or 12-4 this up coming season.

JetsFanFromQueens

We managed to go 9-7 during a time where Sanchez was just a rookie and Rex Ryan was only a 1st year head coach back in 2009. We improved last season, going 11-5 with Sanchez as a 2nd year quarterback while Ryan was learning on the fly as a 2nd year head coach. Now it's time to improve yet again. 13-3 would be outstanding, it'll break our regular season record of 12 wins set back in 1998 by Vinny, Parcells, Martin and the Jets. Going 13-3 would just about guarantee us a 1st round bye followed by a home game during the 2nd round of the playoffs. The Patriots going 14-2 again? I'll have to fist see it before I believe it. Now, I'll settle for 12-4 and see how the playoff picture turns out from there. If the Jets were to go 12-4, there is no guarantee that we'll get a bye week or even win our respected division, but I'll guarantee you one thing... We'll earn a home playoff game. Making our run towards a Super Bowl a little less difficult.

Some will say, "we just need to make the playoffs in order to get into the tournament", but after falling just one game shy from a super bowl experience during consecutive seasons, I'll have to agree to disagree with that old cliche. The playoffs aren't good enough anymore, it's going on 43 years and counting since we've last made it back to the championship game. 1968-69 to be exact. We now have a true contender this season, we need to take advantage of our roster talent/playoff experience/coaching staff and play like champions week in and week out (during the regular season as well).

We need to not only compete with the Patriots for the division, but we also need to challenge teams such as the Steelers, Colts, Ravens and Chargers/Chiefs for a 1st round bye as either a one or two seed coming out of the AFC. I truly believe we have that type of team that can compete with these guys. Having a bye week plus possibly two home games sure beats having to eliminate 3 playoff teams on the road. How can the Jets finish 12-4 or even 13-3 during the regular season? We're not dealing with rocket science here, we need to out perform our lesser opponents and believe me... We'll be considered as heavy favorites heading into most of our games. Anything can happen on Sundays "any given Sunday", but we need to win those games if we're true contenders.

I won't attempt to predict our schedule, but these are the teams we're expected to beat (in my eyes), and these are also the teams that we must show up for on Sundays, out play, out perform and win by any means necessary. Dallas (6-10), Jacksonville (8-8), @ Raiders (8-8), Dolphins 2x (7-9), Bills 2x (4-12), @ Broncos (4-12), @ Redskins (6-10), Patriots (1x). Other than the Patriots, who I feel we have to at least split the series with just for a chance to take home the AFC East... None of these teams finished with a winning record last season. The Raiders and Jaguars finished .500 but the Bills, Broncos and Redskins all finished dead last amongst their respective divisions. Yes, some of these teams may have improved during the offseason... But I highly doubt they've improved enough to beat the Jets. That's a potential 10 wins right infront of us. We have to win these types of games if we're talking home field advantage throughout. Then we have the Patriots again, @ Baltimore, vs the Chargers, vs the Chiefs, @ the Eagles and vs the Giants. It'll be insane to expect the Jets to go 6-0 against those teams. Now, if we can take care of the first set of teams and simply play .500 ball against these contenders? That's 13 wins right there.

All I'm trying to say is this... As a fan base, we can't expect the Jets to reach the super bowl when being forced to win 3 road games just for a chance at an NFC team. That's highly unlikely for an NFL team to eliminate teams such as the Patriots, Colts and Steelers during the playoffs on the road. What 'could have been' last season was almost a miracle. Eliminating Manning in the dome, Brady in Foxboro and Roethlisberger in Pittsburgh? It became too much to deal with. Hindsight is 20/20, but if Manning and the Colts were forced to come into the winds/cold of the Meadowlands back in 2009, or the Steelers were forced into our environment last season, with our fan base going insane... There is no telling what could have happened with HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE. As a fan base, we may have finally witnessed the Jets winning a Super Bowl. Who knows.

Take care of our opponents during the regular season, grab rights to home field advantage during the playoffs and lets earn a damn home game for once. The Broncos, Colts and Steelers have all had one thing in common during our previous 3 AFC Championship Games; home field advantage. I'm tired of watching us come up short on the wrong side of the stick. Lets make these teams come into our house.

Can't wait until this year, like every other, when they start calling games in September "must win" games.

This isn't major league baseball... Where you have 162 ball games to either pull away, makeup or gain ground... You have 16 games to make the most of it. One football game is pretty much the equivalent of 10.125 baseball games. Go 0-3 during September, and throw away your chances of earning home field advantage throughout or even making the playoffs in general. That'll be the same as an MLB team losing 30 consecutive games starting off the season, that team wouldn't be making the playoffs heading into October either.

Games in September may not be "must win games", but some can become do or die types of situations. You're fooling yourself if you truly believe these games early on aren't extremely important, all because of 'the month' of the game. Damn right our home opener against the Cowboys on Sunday night football is a crucial game. You wanna start off your season on the right foot. You wouldn't wanna face starting off the season 0-2. After we lost against the Ravens during week one of last season, if not for our bounce back game against the Patriots during week two... We would have started off 0-2 and our season could have been over before it even got started. Hindsight is 20/20, but if the Jets started off 0-2 after losing to the Ravens and Patriots, there is no guarantee we would have responded the way we did moving forward. You don't feel games in September are extremely important man? They are. Start off 0-2 after losing to the Cowboys and Jaguars and then try and tell Rex Ryan we're not looking at a must win type of game/situation come Sep 25th against the Raiders in Oakland.

This isn't major league baseball... Where you have 162 ball games to either pull away, makeup or gain ground... You have 16 games to make the most of it. One football game is pretty much the equivalent of 10.125 baseball games. Go 0-3 during September, and throw away your chances of earning home field advantage throughout or even making the playoffs in general. That'll be the same as an MLB team losing 30 consecutive games starting off the season, that team wouldn't be making the playoffs heading into October either.

Games in September may not be "must win games", but some can become do or die types of situations. You're fooling yourself if you truly believe these games early on aren't extremely important, all because of 'the month' of the game. Damn right our home opener against the Cowboys on Sunday night football is a crucial game. You wanna start off your season on the right foot. You wouldn't wanna face starting off the season 0-2. After we lost against the Ravens during week one of last season, if not for our bounce back game against the Patriots during week two... We would have started off 0-2 and our season could have been over before it even got started. Hindsight is 20/20, but if the Jets started off 0-2 after losing to the Ravens and Patriots, there is no guarantee we would have responded the way we did moving forward. You don't feel games in September are extremely important man? They are. Start off 0-2 after losing to the Cowboys and Jaguars and then try and tell Rex Ryan we're not looking at a must win type of game/situation come Sep 25th against the Raiders in Oakland.

Important game does not equal must-win game.

No one argues that games aren't important or meaningful in September. But they are not "must win" games. Being 0-3 isn't what makes a team so unlikely to make the playoffs. Being 0-3 is overwhelmingly a symptom of a team not being good enough to make the playoffs no matter which games came first.

We managed to go 9-7 during a time where Sanchez was just a rookie and Rex Ryan was only a 1st year head coach back in 2009. We improved last season, going 11-5 with Sanchez as a 2nd year quarterback while Ryan was learning on the fly as a 2nd year head coach. Now it's time to improve yet again. 13-3 would be outstanding, it'll break our regular season record of 12 wins set back in 1998 by Vinny, Parcells, Martin and the Jets. Going 13-3 would just about guarantee us a 1st round bye followed by a home game during the 2nd round of the playoffs. The Patriots going 14-2 again? I'll have to fist see it before I believe it. Now, I'll settle for 12-4 and see how the playoff picture turns out from there. If the Jets were to go 12-4, there is no guarantee that we'll get a bye week or even win our respected division, but I'll guarantee you one thing... We'll earn a home playoff game. Making our run towards a Super Bowl a little less difficult.

Some will say, "we just need to make the playoffs in order to get into the tournament", but after falling just one game shy from a super bowl experience during consecutive seasons, I'll have to agree to disagree with that old cliche. The playoffs aren't good enough anymore, it's going on 43 years and counting since we've last made it back to the championship game. 1968-69 to be exact. We now have a true contender this season, we need to take advantage of our roster talent/playoff experience/coaching staff and play like champions week in and week out (during the regular season as well).

We need to not only compete with the Patriots for the division, but we also need to challenge teams such as the Steelers, Colts, Ravens and Chargers/Chiefs for a 1st round bye as either a one or two seed coming out of the AFC. I truly believe we have that type of team that can compete with these guys. Having a bye week plus possibly two home games sure beats having to eliminate 3 playoff teams on the road. How can the Jets finish 12-4 or even 13-3 during the regular season? We're not dealing with rocket science here, we need to out perform our lesser opponents and believe me... We'll be considered as heavy favorites heading into most of our games. Anything can happen on Sundays "any given Sunday", but we need to win those games if we're true contenders.

I won't attempt to predict our schedule, but these are the teams we're expected to beat (in my eyes), and these are also the teams that we must show up for on Sundays, out play, out perform and win by any means necessary. Dallas (6-10), Jacksonville (8-8), @ Raiders (8-8), Dolphins 2x (7-9), Bills 2x (4-12), @ Broncos (4-12), @ Redskins (6-10), Patriots (1x). Other than the Patriots, who I feel we have to at least split the series with just for a chance to take home the AFC East... None of these teams finished with a winning record last season. The Raiders and Jaguars finished .500 but the Bills, Broncos and Redskins all finished dead last amongst their respective divisions. Yes, some of these teams may have improved during the offseason... But I highly doubt they've improved enough to beat the Jets. That's a potential 10 wins right infront of us. We have to win these types of games if we're talking home field advantage throughout. Then we have the Patriots again, @ Baltimore, vs the Chargers, vs the Chiefs, @ the Eagles and vs the Giants. It'll be insane to expect the Jets to go 6-0 against those teams. Now, if we can take care of the first set of teams and simply play .500 ball against these contenders? That's 13 wins right there.

All I'm trying to say is this... As a fan base, we can't expect the Jets to reach the super bowl when being forced to win 3 road games just for a chance at an NFC team. That's highly unlikely for an NFL team to eliminate teams such as the Patriots, Colts and Steelers during the playoffs on the road. What 'could have been' last season was almost a miracle. Eliminating Manning in the dome, Brady in Foxboro and Roethlisberger in Pittsburgh? It became too much to deal with. Hindsight is 20/20, but if Manning and the Colts were forced to come into the winds/cold of the Meadowlands back in 2009, or the Steelers were forced into our environment last season, with our fan base going insane... There is no telling what could have happened with HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE. As a fan base, we may have finally witnessed the Jets winning a Super Bowl. Who knows.

Take care of our opponents during the regular season, grab rights to home field advantage during the playoffs and lets earn a damn home game for once. The Broncos, Colts and Steelers have all had one thing in common during our previous 3 AFC Championship Games; home field advantage. I'm tired of watching us come up short on the wrong side of the stick. Lets make these teams come into our house.

Nicely put, I also think that a one game improvement (12-4) can win them the division if they beat the Pats twice. Which I think the Jets can do. I think the Pats are predicted by some (mostly the front runner, Pats backers ESPN) as being 13-3 and 14-2. I don't think that will happen. I see a home field playoff game...but take a look at the rest of the field, aside from the Steelers, do you see going 13-3? I think in the AFC the high water mark will be 12-4 this year. Let's hope that our Jets take a one game improvement and if they do I believe we will win the division, and get a bye and home field advantage in the playoffs.

Archived