Jets to host Decker in unofficial FA 'visit'

F.Chowds

#Subtleracism

Jordy and Decker are plenty fast.

But are they faster than everyone else, that's what it takes to be a Wesley Walker/ Santana Moss.  Walker was the fastest

player I have ever seen, and by far, I want a guy like that, Walker used to score 2 sometimes 3 70 plus yard touchdowns a game

and I can't tell you how many ten yard outs from the 20 he turned into touchdowns, he did it with regularity, he was amazing

and Idzik was the Jets ball boy in 77 so he saw it.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whats the debate here?  Decker makes the offense better.  Who gives a **** whether he's a #1 or not?

Yeah, that doesn't really matter to me at all. I notice in all sports when it comes to FA that at least an underlying fan expectation is for the FA to complete the team rather than just be a good player the team happened to buy through FA. I don't like it for many reasons. 

Whats the debate here?  Decker makes the offense better.  Who gives a **** whether he's a #1 or not?

The debate is whether or not he is worth the money a #1 gets nowadays (north of $10M/year).  No one is presently engaged in your straw man debate that Decker doesn't make the offense any better.

Because he'll cost WAY more coin than he's actually worth.  The Packers and Colts, with franchise QB's in tow, are also in the market for WR's and have lots of cap space.  If we go after WR's on the free agent market, we'll either have to overpay them or hope that some of the other teams out there aren't going after the same guys. 

Personally, I'd rather roll the dice on a guy like a Danario Alexander, who is young and really would be a true # 1 WR if he can somehow stay healthy (and will be cheap), and build the rest of the receiving corps via the draft.  We don't HAVE to spend big money on a free agent WR.

Because he'll cost WAY more coin than he's actually worth.  The Packers and Colts, with franchise QB's in tow, are also in the market for WR's and have lots of cap space.  If we go after WR's on the free agent market, we'll either have to overpay them or hope that some of the other teams out there aren't going after the same guys. 

Personally, I'd rather roll the dice on a guy like a Danario Alexander, who is young and really would be a true # 1 WR if he can somehow stay healthy (and will be cheap), and build the rest of the receiving corps via the draft.  We don't HAVE to spend big money on a free agent WR.

I'm ok with overspending a little since we are so desperate at the position.  But a little is also a relative term.

Say Decker's "fair" FA value is $6M/year.  $7.5M is overpaying "a little" bit.  If his fair value is $900K, then overpaying by $1.5M/year is ludicrous.  Meanwhile it takes the same cap management to overcome the $1M overspend.

The problem also is in the guaranteed amount.  If he doesn't work out, $6M or $9M per year is meaningless and not worth getting excited over if we can get out after 1-2 seasons (by which time we hope to see some noticeable value/production of a 2014 draft pick).  If we're locked in for 3 full seasons (after which we still take some hit) like with Holmes, then it's bad.  Not only does it tie up cap room, but it makes the team reluctant to spend money or a higher draft pick on someone else at the same position because that's your guy.  Why didn't we draft Russell Wilson despite our head scout (allegedly) being infatuated with the kid? Exactly.

Yeah, that doesn't really matter to me at all. I notice in all sports when it comes to FA that at least an underlying fan expectation is for the FA to complete the team rather than just be a good player the team happened to buy through FA. I don't like it for many reasons. 

The Jets are not in a position to draft someone who complete's the team.

The debate is whether or not he is worth the money a #1 gets nowadays (north of $10M/year).  No one is presently engaged in your straw man debate that Decker doesn't make the offense any better.

It was a question, penisface.

Basically, every single WR thats not playing on a meager rookie contract, costs more than they are actually worth.  The market dictates contracts.  Its the cost you pay to improve your team.

You have to play to pay and if the Jets want to add talent, they'll have to pay.  Adding a bunch of injury prones vets on the cheap is what got the Jets to this point at the skillz position.

Decker is a young healthy productive option.  I'd rather have a guy you know will be on the field helping the team than adding a career underachiever who cant find the field.

But are they faster than everyone else, that's what it takes to be a Wesley Walker/ Santana Moss.  Walker was the fastest

player I have ever seen, and by far, I want a guy like that, Walker used to score 2 sometimes 3 70 plus yard touchdowns a game

and I can't tell you how many ten yard outs from the 20 he turned into touchdowns, he did it with regularity, he was amazing

and Idzik was the Jets ball boy in 77 so he saw it.

Best damned salesman in the office! He's a ten-foot tall beast man, who showers in vodka, and feeds his baby shrimp scampi. 

tumblr_mxgzawGfLL1rdzuduo1_500.gif

• 2 months later...

Archived