Plane carrying “Fire John Idzik” banner flies over Jets practice

Jack Straw

I am not sure Idzik staked his career on Smith - he was a 2nd round pick  

the problem wasn't using a 2nd on geno. it was preventing competition and annointing him awesome. 

Idzik influenced the starting QB decision to such an extent, it had very little to do with actual football. It was about hoping and dreaming that Geno was Russell Wilson part II. 

they could have drafted Derek Carr or Manziel. They could have drafted Jimmy G or Mettenberger. And there would have been a competition. 

Instead the Jets sign Vick and then hamstring him with no reps. The team stuck with him for way too long this year, and in fact, there should have been an open QB competition with Vick.  Or anyone. 

If a QB can't win his own team's competition, he shouldn't be starting.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not sure this is all Idzik's doing.

Granted the bias was toward starting Smith - basically as long as he demonstrated progress in preseason he was going to start - truth be told most people were comfortable starting Smith game one. Ryan waited too long to pull Smith but that's a bit hindsight. The QB failure is something Idzik is going to have to correct - I agree that's on him.

I am not sure this is all Idzik's doing.

Granted the bias was toward starting Smith - basically as long as he demonstrated progress in preseason he was going to start - truth be told most people were comfortable starting Smith game one. Ryan waited too long to pull Smith but that's a bit hindsight. The QB failure is something Idzik is going to have to correct - I agree that's on him.

This is what happens when you use a goddamn staffing agency to hire a GM.

This is what happens when you use a goddamn staffing agency to hire a GM.

“I am honored to join Jed Hughes and grow the Global Sports Practice at Korn Ferry,” said Boardman. "Under Jed's leadership, the firm has successfully led searches at the pinnacle of the sports industry. Korn Ferry is unparalleled in its ability to serve clients globally and to be at the forefront of the evolution of sports.”

In a recent two-month span, Korn Ferry placed Houston Texans coach Bill O'Brien, University of Texas athletic director Steve Patterson and head coach Charlie Strong, Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson, USC football coach Steve Sarkisian, and the new Pro Football Hall of Fame President David Baker. Other recent high profile placements include: USC basketball coach Andy Enfield, Kansas City Chiefs coach Andy Reid, New York Jets GM John Idzik and President Neil Glat, Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby, and Portland Trail Blazers President Chris McGowan. Previous to joining Korn Ferry in January 2012, Jed Hughes was responsible for placing Pac 12 commissioner Larry Scott, USOC chief Scott Blackmun, Green Bay Packers CEO Mark Murphy, and Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll, GM John Schneider, and CEO Peter McLoughlin.

http://www.kornferry.com/press/15158/

Korn/Ferry's role is to vet candidates, create profile work-ups of them, and assist in hiring.

How much the firm is charging Platinum hasn't been disclosed.

The University of Texas paid $267,000 to Korn/Ferry for its help in hiring Charlie Strong as the Longhorns' new football coach, according to USA Today. Public university spending must be disclosed.

Colorado State University paid Chicago-based Spencer Stuart $250,000 for a football coaching search that ended with Jim McElwain's hiring in 2011, according to Forbes.com, and Florence, Mass.-based Alden and Associates Inc. charged the University of Connecticut $50,000 for the search that produced football coach Paul Pasqualoni in 2011.

Other major search firms with sports practices include Chicago-based DHR International and Oak Brook, Ill.-based Witt/Kieffer.

The University of Michigan didn't responded to a request from Crain's for what Korn/Ferry was paid to aid in the search that resulted in David Brandon being hired away as athletic director from Ann Arbor-based pizza giant Domino's Inc. in 2010, and in football coach Brady Hoke being hired from San Diego State in 2011.

The Detroit Regional Chamber used Korn/Ferry to find CEO Sandy Baruah in 2010 when it hired him away from the U.S. Small Business Administration.

Executive head hunting is lucrative.

Korn/Ferry had $43.8 million in operating income on $812 million in 2013 revenue, according to its annual report. It didn't specifically break out revenue for its sports practice.

That practice is run by Jed Hughes, a former pro football coach who has a Ph.D. in organizational behavior.

"I can pick up the phone and call almost every head coach in any sport and get them to return my call and get better insight than an owner could because I've paid the price of being a coach," Hughes told Bloomberg Businessweek for a profile in January 2013 after New York Jets owner Woody Johnson hired him to search for a replacement for fired General Manager Mike Tannenbaum. "It's been in my DNA, assessing people."

The Jets hired Seattle Seahawks vice president of football administration John Idzik to fill the GM role.

Hughes previously did third-party psychological testing and assessments for the San Francisco 49ers and Green Bay Packers, Businessweek reported.

Hughes joined Korn/Ferry in January 2012. He previously was involved in the hiring of Green Bay Packers CEO Mark Murphy, Pac 12 Commissioner Larry Scott, and the Seattle Seahawks top three positions: coach Pete Carroll, General Manager John Schneider, and CEO Peter McLoughlin.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/mobile/article/20140427/NEWS/304279952/pistons-among-pro-teams-hiring-exec-search-firms

Archived