Jets vs. Seahawks Preview

JetNation

Ryan Fitzpatrick JN

By Glenn Naughton

The 1-2 New York Jets will host the 2-1 Seattle Seahawks as they hope to avoid having their season go in to a 1-3 tailspin that will mean an uphill climb in the coming weeks if they have any playoff aspirations.

Here are some of the key match-ups to keep an eye on.

Ryan Fitzpatrick vs. Legion of Boom:  There’s no sugar-coating this one…Ryan Fitzpatrick is coming off of the worst performance of his NFL career, and now prepares to take on one of the top defensive units in the NFL.

The “Legion of Boom” that is Seattle’s secondary has got to be chomping at the bit after watching Fitzpatrick throw six interceptions against the Kansas City Chiefs last week.

Fitzpatrick will be without the injured Eric Decker while throwing to a struggling Brandon Marshall along with Quincy Enunwa and whatever combination of young receivers the Jets opt to go with.  Facing an elite defense without a full arsenal is clearly not an ideal scenario, but it won’t matter who the Jets receivers are if Fitzpatrick is anywhere near as bad as he was last Sunday.

Look for Antonio Allen to get some reps on defense against Jimmy Graham.

Jets safeties vs. Jimmy Graham: Jets fans had to be scratching their heads watching last week’s contest as Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce was able to beat Jets safety Calvin Pryor one time after another in one-on-one match-ups.

Pryor was given a free pass by many fans for his struggles as a rookie as he was being used in coverage, a role for which he’s not well suited.  Now, in year three, Todd Bowles and company decided to give Pryor a shot to cover one of the NFL’s top tight ends and the results weren’t pretty as Kelce piled up over 80 yards and a touchdown.

Now, facing another elite tight end in Jimmy Graham, who posted 100 yards last week, the Jets will surely take a different approach.  Look for Gang Green to try to match up Marcus Gilchrist or Antonio Allen against Graham.  Or, perhaps an appearance by rookie cornerback Juston Burris?

Jets interior defensive linemen vs. Germain Ifedi:  Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson is expected to play with a brace on his knee which could impact his ability to run around and make plays.  This put the onus on the Jets defensive line to get to apply consistent pressure.  Germain Ifedi, Seattle’s first round draft choice has yet to play a down, but is expected to get his first pro start on Sunday.

The Jets would like nothing more than to give Ifedi a rude awakening in his first pro game with the multiple looks they can show up front, many of which will consist of a young dynamic lineman across from him.  Be it Mo Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson or Leonard Williams, Ifedi should have his hands full.  Taking advantage of mismatches up front is the only thing that gives the Jets a chance to come out on top.

Conclusion:

Inexperienced receivers and a struggling QB going against one of the top secondaries in the NFL make all the difference in this one.  If the over/under on Fitzpatrick interceptions was 3, I’d be tempted to take the over.  Barring an other-worldly performance from the defensive line that forces multiple turnovers and some big plays on special teams, the Jets fall to 1-3.

Seahawks: 24

Jets: 10

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
u8p0Y5FDxrM

Click here to read the full story...

2 hours ago, JetNation said:

Conclusion:

Inexperienced receivers and a struggling QB going against one of the top secondaries in the NFL make all the difference in this one.  If the over/under on Fitzpatrick interceptions was 3, I’d be tempted to take the over.  Barring an other-worldly performance from the defensive line that forces multiple turnovers and some big plays on special teams, the Jets fall to 1-3.

If the Jets fall to 1-3 , start flying the banners over the stadium ... FIRE BOWLES  FIRE MACAGNAN  FIRE WOODY

5 hours ago, no psls said:

If the Jets fall to 1-3 , start flying the banners over the stadium ... FIRE BOWLES  FIRE MACAGNAN  FIRE WOODY

I don't think we'll see that.  But we will see a lot more celebrations from the anti-Fitz crowd while they demand he be benched.

14 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

If the Jets lose and Fitz plays poorly, this board will be uninhabitable for at least a week. Borderline unreadable.  

If they lose, Fitz's level of play won't matter.  Wins have nothing to do with Fitz, losses are 100% on Fitz.

Dem's da' rules.

37 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

If the Jets lose and Fitz plays poorly, this board will be uninhabitable for at least a week. Borderline unreadable.  

That depends on whether or not Bowles comes out during the press conference and has some dumbass answer like he did last week to the question of if Fitz is still the starter.

He made it seem like the reporter was dumb for asking the question after Fitz has played like poop 3 of our last 4 meaningful games.  Once ruining a gift wrapped playoff birth week 17.

At least this year he seems to realize it's better to end all hope sooner vs later.  So I suppose that makes him worth the 12mil.

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

People here should be pissed off if they lose big as I expect them to tomorrow. If we are not pissed off then we are losers who accept losing.  What, are we not supposed to care? WTF man?

1 minute ago, ASH1962 said:

People here should be pissed off if they lose big as I expect them to tomorrow. If we are not pissed off then we are losers who accept losing.  What, are we not supposed to care? WTF man?

You can care without making a conscious effort to take over every thread, no matter what the topic, with the same garbage that's being discussed in ten other threads.

2 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

You expect them to lose big and if they do you're going to be pissed off about it? That's like going to a fast food restaurant knowing it's not a filet and then beating up Ronald McDonald. That makes zero sense. Of course you can care, but you may need to do some reevaluating if your Sunday is going to suck if the Jets don't win. 

9 hours ago, JetNation said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick JN

By Glenn Naughton

The 1-2 New York Jets will host the 2-1 Seattle Seahawks as they hope to avoid having their season go in to a 1-3 tailspin that will mean an uphill climb in the coming weeks if they have any playoff aspirations.

Here are some of the key match-ups to keep an eye on.

Ryan Fitzpatrick vs. Legion of Boom:  There’s no sugar-coating this one…Ryan Fitzpatrick is coming off of the worst performance of his NFL career, and now prepares to take on one of the top defensive units in the NFL.

The “Legion of Boom” that is Seattle’s secondary has got to be chomping at the bit after watching Fitzpatrick throw six interceptions against the Kansas City Chiefs last week.

Fitzpatrick will be without the injured Eric Decker while throwing to a struggling Brandon Marshall along with Quincy Enunwa and whatever combination of young receivers the Jets opt to go with.  Facing an elite defense without a full arsenal is clearly not an ideal scenario, but it won’t matter who the Jets receivers are if Fitzpatrick is anywhere near as bad as he was last Sunday.

Jets safeties vs. Jimmy Graham: Jets fans had to be scratching their heads watching last week’s contest as Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce was able to beat Jets safety Calvin Pryor one time after another in one-on-one match-ups.

Pryor was given a free pass by many fans for his struggles as a rookie as he was being used in coverage, a role for which he’s not well suited.  Now, in year three, Todd Bowles and company decided to give Pryor a shot to cover one of the NFL’s top tight ends and the results weren’t pretty as Kelce piled up over 80 yards and a touchdown.

Now, facing another elite tight end in Jimmy Graham, who posted 100 yards last week, the Jets will surely take a different approach.  Look for Gang Green to try to match up Marcus Gilchrist or Antonio Allen against Graham.  Or, perhaps an appearance by rookie cornerback Juston Burris?

Jets interior defensive linemen vs. Germain Ifedi:  Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson is expected to play with a brace on his knee which could impact his ability to run around and make plays.  This put the onus on the Jets defensive line to get to apply consistent pressure.  Germain Ifedi, Seattle’s first round draft choice has yet to play a down, but is expected to get his first pro start on Sunday.

The Jets would like nothing more than to give Ifedi a rude awakening in his first pro game with the multiple looks they can show up front, many of which will consist of a young dynamic lineman across from him.  Be it Mo Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson or Leonard Williams, Ifedi should have his hands full.  Taking advantage of mismatches up front is the only thing that gives the Jets a chance to come out on top.

Conclusion:

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

u8p0Y5FDxrM

Click here to read the full story...

Any chance they remember the tight end is in fact an eligible receiver? Graham in good health is a beast. But he's never healty lately. 

9 hours ago, JetNation said:

Conclusion:

sh*t.  I have both NY and Seattle's Ds.  I'm actually thinking Fitz can't be nearly as bad as last week.  I mean I don't think much of his abilities, but he does have some heart.  Even w/o Decker Marshall/Enunwa/Forte should be more than enough weapons no?

While a banged up Wilson and Oline should definitely favor our defense.  Of course, so long as Fitz doesn't turn the ball over so much, leaving the D exhausted.

I could be a fool, but this should be a Jet win and I'm starting the Jets D over Seattle's.  (You better believe imma be pissed if Fitz sh*tz his pants again.)

6 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

sh*t.  I have both NY and Seattle's Ds.  I'm actually thinking Fitz can't be nearly as bad as last week.  I mean I don't think much of his abilities, but he does have some heart.  Even w/o Decker Marshall/Enunwa/Forte should be more than enough weapons no?

While a banged up Wilson and Oline should definitely favor our defense.  Of course, so long as Fitz doesn't turn the ball over so much, leaving the D exhausted.

I could be a fool, but this should be a Jet win and I'm starting the Jets D over Seattle's.  (You better believe imma be pissed if Fitz sh*tz his pants again.)

I'm not 100% sold on Marshall being good to go, and even if he is, he's had some big drops early on...he's been nowhere near the player he was last season. Hopefully he picks it up. 

Outside of Marshall, there are some guys with potential, but no WR's who have played against a secondary as good as Seattle's.

If the run blocking was better, I'd say ground and pound it all day, but I don't see that happening.

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I'm not 100% sold on Marshall being good to go, and even if he is, he's had some big drops early on...he's been nowhere near the player he was last season. Hopefully he picks it up. 

Outside of Marshall, there are some guys with potential, but no WR's who have played against a secondary as good as Seattle's.

If the run blocking was better, I'd say ground and pound it all day, but I don't see that happening.

Even if Marshall isn't 100%, him/Q/Forte/Powell and the young WRs we were all happy about this offseason is more than enough.  Besides, hasn't Marshall been practicing all week?  He only practiced once last week I think, and he looked darn good.  Obviously just frustrated with the game.

D just has to get to Wilson early and often.  Give Fitz plenty of opportunities to get the job done.

Just now, Mike135 said:

Even if Marshall isn't 100%, him/Q/Forte/Powell and the young WRs we were all happy about this offseason is more than enough.  Besides, hasn't Marshall been practicing all week?  He only practiced once last week I think, and he looked darn good.  Obviously just frustrated with the game.

D just has to get to Wilson early and often.  Give Fitz plenty of opportunities to get the job done.

If the D-line can't harass a banged up Wilson with their O-line, it's time to stop calling them elite.  How many games have we seen them play against injured/atrocious O-lines and come away with one or two sacks?  

If the D-line can't harass a banged up Wilson with their O-line, it's time to stop calling them elite.  How many games have we seen them play against injured/atrocious O-lines and come away with one or two sacks?  

The last two games, that DLine went up against 2nd and 3rd stringers on the Olline and did nothing.

Other than Jets fans, who are calling them "elite"?

14 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

For a refreshing change, can we agree that getting horrible QB play is much worse than anything this board dishes out? I mean come on. Have we really reached a point where we've just accepted it as a part of life?

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Surprised we won't be seeing Safarian-Jenkins.  Really thought they'd install a handful of plays for him....especially in the RZ.

This is the least surprising news of the day. He isn't ready to contribute and he's going to be treated with kid gloves. 

Archived