Jets Look to Keep QB’s Upright in Battle Against Rams

JetNation

Ryan Fitzpatrick JN

By Glenn Naughton

The 3-6 New York Jets prepare to host the 3-5 Rams at MetLife Stadium on Sunday, and while the team’s primary objective will be to come away with a win, keeping Ryan Fitzpatrick and possibly Bryce Petty out of the hospital should be a close second.  The Jets will be doing battle against one of the NFL’s premiere defensive fronts with what is somewhat of a patchwork O-line.  Here are some of the key match-ups up front and beyond.

LG James Carpenter vs. DT Aaron Donald:  

This should be the best head-to-head meeting of the day as the Jets top lineman should see his fair share of one of the league’s most dynamic interior defenders.  If the Jets have anywhere near the success they had in running Matt Forte and Bilal Powell against the Miami Dolphins last week (18 carries for 114 yds and 1 TD), they should make it a ground and pound kind of day.

Letting Ryan Fitzpatrick drop back time and again with an unproven Ben Ijalana slated to start at left tackle  and Nick Mangold likely being replaced by Wesley Johnson at center again due to an ankle injury, the Rams should be able to generate a good deal of pressure without having to blitz.  The last thing the Jets need is another game with Ryan Fitzpatrick throwing in to coverage under duress.

Wesley Johnson is likely to get another start in the place of the injured Nick Mangold.

Wesley Johnson is likely to get another start in the place of the injured Nick Mangold.

WR Tavon Austin vs. Jets Secondary:

It’s difficult to pick any one player who may match up with Austin as he’s a valuable chess piece for the Rams who will move him around to create mismatches.

Austin is an interesting piece of Sunday’s puzzle primarily due to the fact that the Jets have had great difficulty defending wide receiver screens all season, and this is an area where Austin may thrive.  If and when Austin faces off against Darrelle Revis, look for Revis to play off the diminutive burner to avoid being beat deep again, so the quick screens will mean safety support will be essential in containing Austin.

One thing that helps Revis in this particular match up is that Austin isn’t the physical type of player Revis has been shying away from in recent weeks, so perhaps limiting his YAC won’t be quite the challenge it will be if he’s asked to get physical with the Rams’ other top target, the 6′ 3” Kenny Britt.

Both Austin and Britt are tied for the Rams team lead in receptions with 37 apiece.

LB Mark Barron vs. Matt Forte and Bilal Powell:  

Jets running back Bilal Powell could see some work catching the ball as a check down option.

Jets running back Bilal Powell could see some work catching the ball as a check down option.

Signing former safety Mark Barron and moving him to linebacker has been a boon for the Rams.  The former defensive back is one of the

better coverage linebackers in the NFL and should be used to shadow Forte and Powell out of the backfield to take away Fitzpatrick’s check-down options when the Rams generate pressure.

According to PFF.com, Barron has earned an impressive pass coverage grade of 82 on 286 coverage snaps.

DL Muhammad Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson vs Rams Offensive line:

Time and again this pair of Jets defenders have come up small under conditions that should have seen them making highlight reel hits. Whether it was facing decimated offensive lines (Kansas City) or an injured quarterback (Russell Wilson), the pair of former first round picks have been invisible far too often.

This week we found out what part of the problem may have been as it reported

that the two routinely skip or show up late to team meetings or practices.

With their complete lack of interest in going “all in” this season, the hope at this point among Jets fans is that personal pride will lead to Wilkerson and Richardson dialing it up a notch and making a difference on Sunday.  The two are also in an absolute no-win situation that they have only themselves to blame for.

If they’re non-factors once again, fans will naturally assume the effort is still absent.  If they come out and dominate, it will draw the fans ire as the season will become a “what could have been” in a lost season that was expected to see the Jets be able to compete with the leagues elite teams on the strength of what was supposed to be an unstoppable defensive line.

Conclusion: 

Pressure from the Rams front will mean multiple turnovers for Fitzpatrick again with another possible Bryce Petty sighting if Fitzpatrick and his beat up MCL take too many big hits.

Rams- 17

Jets- 13

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
wdcWqndHnps

Click here to read the full story...

5 hours ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

The Jets have great "fans" don't they

Not sure OTP was wishing injury on Fitz..but we do have a few folks who have openly done so.

I think he gets pulled due to injury not because I want him to, but because he's already dinged up and the Rams have such an active front.

41 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

As long as Hackenberg is suited up for the game. If Fitz gets hurt I do t want to hear that nonsense of Powell having to back up Petty like he had to with Fitz during Geno's injury. 

How do we have 4 QB's on the 53 but Powell had to be the emergency backup? complete nonsense.

They have 3 QBs on the 53 with Geno on the IR. Most teams only suit up 2 QBs each week. If Fitz is active on Sunday, they may dress all three QBs, but I doubt it. With all of the injuries they have elsewhere, they'll need depth everywhere. The reason Powell was the emergency when Geno went down was because Fitz and Geno were 100% healthy when Geno went down. There was no need to have 3 active QBs. 

8 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

They have 3 QBs on the 53 with Geno on the IR. Most teams only suit up 2 QBs each week. If Fitz is active on Sunday, they may dress all three QBs, but I doubt it. With all of the injuries they have elsewhere, they'll need depth everywhere. The reason Powell was the emergency when Geno went down was because Fitz and Geno were 100% healthy when Geno went down. There was no need to have 3 active QBs. 

We had 4 QB's on the roster when Powell ended up being being the emergency backup. 

It doesn't matter that most teams only suit two when those same teams don't keep 4 QB's on the roster. In the Jets unique situation, Powell should not be a backup qb

4 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

We had 4 QB's on the roster when Powell ended up being being the emergency backup. 

It doesn't matter that most teams only suit two when those same teams don't keep 4 QB's on the roster. In the Jets unique situation, Powell should not be a backup qb

There is literally zero reason to have 3 game day active QBs. That's poor roster management, especially when those two QBs are fully healthy. Show me one team out of 32 that has 3 QBs active on a Sunday this year. Good luck finding that unicorn. 

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

There is literally zero reason to have 3 game day active QBs. That's poor roster management, especially when those two QBs are fully healthy. Show me one team out of 32 that has 3 QBs active on a Sunday this year. Good luck finding that unicorn. 

Poor roster management was having 4 QB's on the roster to begin with. Whats even poorer is when a QB goes down and you dont have a QB to fill in the back up role. Then what the hell was the point, especially when you dont have an active QB to fill in the back up spot if one of the 4 gets hurt. 

Show me one team out of the other 31 that has 4 QB's on the 53. Good luck finding that unicorn. 

14 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Poor roster management was having 4 QB's on the roster to begin with. Whats even poorer is when a QB goes down and you dont have a QB to fill in the back up role. Then what the hell was the point, especially when you dont have an active QB to fill in the back up spot if one of the 4 gets hurt. 

Show me one team out of the other 31 that has 4 QB's on the 53. Good luck finding that unicorn. 

Cant risk the chance of losing any of our franchise QB's now can we.  Other teams in the NFL are just waiting for the opportunity to grab one or all of them. 

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Hey straw man, I've been on record all season saying 4 QBs was bad as well as 4 TEs. The rest of your incoherent rambling never happened. Geno got hurt and Fitz played. Period. Powell was the emergency QB when Geno was out for the game in case Fitz went down too. He didn't. When Geno was done for the season, Petty was the backup and played when Fitz got hurt. If Fitz is inactive this weekend, which I doubt, Hack and Petty would be active. The scenario in which you're imagining literally hasn't happened. There are plenty of reasons to criticize everyone from the owner on down. Whatever your concocting to create faux outrage isn't one of them. 

Also, zero teams currently have 4 QBs on their 53. Including the Jets. 

6 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Hey straw man, I've been on record all season saying 4 QBs was bad as well as 4 TEs. The rest of your incoherent rambling never happened. Geno got hurt and Fitz played. Period. Powell was the emergency QB when Geno was out for the game in case Fitz went down too. He didn't. When Geno was done for the season, Petty was the backup and played when Fitz got hurt. If Fitz is inactive this weekend, which I doubt, Hack and Petty would be active. The scenario in which you're imagining literally hasn't happened. There are plenty of reasons to criticize everyone from the owner on down. Whatever your concocting to create faux outrage isn't one of them. 

Also, zero teams currently have 4 QBs on their 53. Including the Jets. 

Has nothing to do about strawman. YOU bought unicorns into the convo. if a team holds 4 a QB's on the 53 there should never be a time when a RB should be the emergency qb. 

What's the problem here?

20 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Has nothing to do about strawman. YOU bought unicorns into the convo. if a team holds 4 a QB's on the 53 there should never be a time when a RB should be the emergency qb. 

What's the problem here?

So which player on the game day roster are you sitting to dress a 3rd emergency QB, who will never see the field? Which starter are you making play special teams now because you think it's a good idea to dress a player who will never see a down? 32 teams in the NFL dress only 2 QBs on Sunday. All 32 have a non QB as the emergency QB. I'm not sure what it is you're not understanding. 

7 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

So which player on the game day roster are you sitting to dress a 3rd emergency QB, who will never see the field? Which starter are you making play special teams now because you think it's a good idea to dress a player who will never see a down? 32 teams in the NFL dress only 2 QBs on Sunday. All 32 have a non QB as the emergency QB. I'm not sure what it is you're not understanding. 

You're missing the point.

7 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Whoever is penciled in at TE.

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Changing the subject now are we? That seems about right. Glad you conceded that you have no idea what you're talking about. Enjoy the game. 

Of course. There's no need to say the same thing multiple ways because you want to be dense. You shouldnt have a RB as an emergency QB when you're holding 4 QB's on the 53, period. 

I have the right to change the subject when your response has been #1. unicorns, #2. me allegedly having "no idea" about roster management because of what other teams have done....yet no other team except the Jets has carried 4 QB's to begin with) #3. you telling me to enjoy the game simply because Im re-exposing your buffoonery of tweets and comments about Geno being the worst QB in his first 2 seasons while the guy you banged the table 4 is not just the worst starter in the league (in his 12th year) but is having arguably the worst single season performance by a QB in Jets history.....then taking these facts and laughing at the fact that it is YOU saying that I dont know what im talking about. lol. 

I'll enjoy the game. You do the same crazy carl. 

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Of course. There's no need to say the same thing multiple ways because you want to be dense. You shouldnt have a RB as an emergency QB when you're holding 4 QB's on the 53, period. 

I have the right to change the subject when your response has been #1. unicorns, #2. me allegedly having "no idea" about roster management because of what other teams have done....yet no other team except the Jets has carried 4 QB's to begin with) #3. you telling me to enjoy the game simply because Im re-exposing your buffoonery of tweets and comments about Geno being the worst QB in his first 2 seasons while the guy you banged the table 4 is not just the worst starter in the league (in his 12th year) but is having arguably the worst single season performance by a QB in Jets history.....then taking these facts and laughing at the fact that it is YOU saying that I dont know what im talking about. lol. 

I'll enjoy the game. You do the same crazy carl. 

You just don't get it and you never will. Every team has 2 QBs active and an emergency option that's not a QB. That's a fact. The Jets would not be wise to have 3 QBs active on gameday. That's poor roster management. It's plain as day. I just don't get what you don't get. Continue with your ignorance.  

5 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

You just don't get it and you never will. Every team has 2 QBs active and an emergency option that's not a QB. That's a fact. The Jets would not be wise to have 3 QBs active on gameday. That's poor roster management. It's plain as day. I just don't get what you don't get. Continue with your ignorance.  

Just like every team holds 4 QB's???

Stop comparing apples to oranges maybe?

Continue your ignorance.

58 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Just like every team holds 4 QB's???

Stop comparing apples to oranges maybe?

Continue your ignorance.

So you want them to augment bad roster management with further bad gameday roster management? Wow. Good idea. Why didn't they think of that? I can't believe we're still talking about this. 32 NFL teams are wrong and Villain is right!!

30 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

So you want them to augment bad roster management with further bad gameday roster management? Wow. Good idea. Why didn't they think of that? I can't believe we're still talking about this. 32 NFL teams are wrong and Villain is right!!

They already did that by signing Fitz and holding 4 because of it. 

Don't know why u keep talking "teams", probably because you need other excuses outside of what the jets actually did to make your point. well, the jets we're the only team to sign Fitz and hold 4 QB's on the 53. 

Villain is right, just like he was right when u were defending sh*t quarterbacks

6 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

They already did that by signing Fitz and holding 4 because of it. 

Don't know why u keep talking "teams", probably because you need other excuses outside of what the jets actually did to make your point. well, the jets we're the only team to sign Fitz and hold 4 QB's on the 53. 

Villain is right, just like he was right when u were defending sh*t quarterbacks

32 teams dress 2 QBs on Sundays. Can you name one that dresses 3? Here's a hint. You can't. Just because they had 4 on the 53 that doesn't mean anything when it comes to the game day roster. There is zero correlation. Especially when one is never going to be dressed this season on Sunday. They've always dressed 2, so unless you're ready to sit a valuable special teams player or another player who may actually get snaps because of other injuries, kindly have a seat.

Villain is wrong and is also a joke for criticizing my defense of Fitz when he defends another crap QB. Get over yourself. It's pathetic. 

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

32 teams dress 2 QBs on Sundays. Can you name one that dresses 3? Here's a hint. You can't. Just because they had 4 on the 53 that doesn't mean anything when it comes to the game day roster. There is zero correlation. Especially when one is never going to be dressed this season on Sunday. They've always dressed 2, so unless you're ready to sit a valuable special teams player or another player who may actually get snaps because of other injuries, kindly have a seat.

Villain is wrong and is also a joke for criticizing my defense of Fitz when he defends another crap QB. Get over yourself. It's pathetic. 

Okay, let me help you here. If you can show me another team this season that held 4 QB's on the 53 then I'll answer the question AND say I was wrong for my opinion.

However, if you can't...then quit it.

9 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Okay, let me help you here. If you can show me another team this season that held 4 QB's on the 53 then I'll answer the question AND say I was wrong for my opinion.

However, if you can't...then quit it.

It. Doesn't. Matter. The 53 and the gameday roster are two completely different animals. You're failing to grasp even the simplest of NFL concepts here and are acting pompous like you're right. Just ridiculous at this point. 

21 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

It. Doesn't. Matter. The 53 and the gameday roster are two completely different animals. You're failing to grasp even the simplest of NFL concepts here and are acting pompous like you're right. Just ridiculous at this point. 

So in otherwords, the teams that you're talking about arent in the same situation as the Jets in regards to the amount of quarterbacks. 

Thought so. 

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

So in otherwords, the teams that you're talking about arent in the same situation as the Jets in regards to the amount of quarterbacks. 

Thought so. 

Ugh. I'm done here. You're wrong. You know it. Move on. The Jets have 3 QBs on the 53 now so your point is even further off base and doesn't even matter anymore. 

Archived