Why an open competition between Petty/Hackenberg in 2017 Training Camp makes sense

jetscrazey

I don't see it.

Frankly, I think the Organization sees Hack as a possible/likely bust pick.  A "we know better than everyone else" selection by our GM that simply isn't panning out.

And Petty is what he is, a mid-round kid with a low-percentage-chance of being a legit guy.

So no, I don't see the Organization going into 2017 with just these two.

I fully expect to see someone added, be it Glennon, Taylor (if he is released, and many think he will) or, at the bottom of the barrel, a Hoyer type.

And whomever we sign will be our new starter for the next 2-3 years potentially.  

Until I see some evidence to the contrary, I'm not convinced as yet that we'll ever see Hack start an NFL regular season game in Jets Green.

I'm not against the concept, I like the idea of Petty/Hack/Draft Pick and save the  $$$ for other positions.  

But to be fair, neither Petty nor Hack have earned that kind of trust as yet.

The Jets will not be tanking that is fairly simple to know. They fought to win meaningless games last year. Pretty sure woody is a fan of putting fans in the seats and not putting as garbage product as possible to get a better pick. Bowles will want to keep his job. He stuck with pickpatrick forward how long? Bank on a FA. We also play the Chargers, Rams and Cleveland very good possibility to win those games minimum and officially out of the Darnold sweepstakes.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using JetNation.com mobile app

I support going into 2017 with Petty and Hack even if it means another bad season. I feel Petty's upper limit is probably a cheap backup. Nobody really knows what's up with Hackenburg; but the team made an investment in him in the second round and paid him to sit a year to look at Petty and Geno while Fitz floundered. That investment is an absolute waste if he doesn't get a shot to develop and try to win the job.

At a minimum the team should go into training camp with those two and if neither is even capable of trying to hold down the starting position then bring in a cheap vet. Regardless of how 2017 plays out we have too many other positions that need draft/FA help this year to burn another pick on a QB that won't see the light of day. To bring in a Hoyer or Sanchez level QB must raise questions about Mac's own belief in his ability to draft a QB.

32 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Yes, I hope they stop doing that.

I didn't realize this Jet regime did any such thing > As a matter of fact, I thought this regime was considered incompetent because it didn't exposed a rookie QB it didn't believe was ready to the NFL because it's what the fans and the media wanted .

5 hours ago, Tinstar said:

I didn't realize this Jet regime did any such thing > As a matter of fact, I thought this regime was considered incompetent because it didn't exposed a rookie QB it didn't believe was ready to the NFL because it's what the fans and the media wanted .

I didn't say regime. I said Jets. This regime has enough problems outside and independent of this. 

The odds of either Petty or Hack being able to compete next season are huge.
Sad to say, but the odds of them even being around in two years is fairly high.
The starting QB for this team has yet to be signed. Not even sure our backup QB is on the team yet.
As far as tanking, just don't see it, too many college wonder boys fall flat on there faces to even try.
Better to take a chance with a somewhat proven commodity such as a Glennon or Taylor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Tinstar said:

He said the Jets have done that, which I agree with historically. But you are right you can't blame Bowles and Macc for rushing anyone. They have taken the exact opposite approach.

Archived