Sign in to follow this  
AFJF

Sheldon Traded

25 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Arguing Macc's blunders is easy barking up the Jamal Adams tree is dumb. He was considered a top 5 talent and to some he was a top 1 talent.

Really? Dumb because this "#1 talent" didn't go til #6 (to the Jets of course), or because he plays a position that was never going to move the needle on a team devoid of QB and offense, or because he's been avg at best in the preseason, or because he's inferior in every way to next yrs top safety prospect? 

Yup, got me on this one. Trying to find holes in the draft Adams logic is certainly dumb and a futile exercise. 

Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
2 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

This is such a good and astute post. Failing to trade up has cost us more in draft resources than what we would've paid to jump up ever could have.

This idea that the Leo pick is some amazing feather in Macc's cap is nonsense. A great player yes, but he was not the player to make this a better team. A QB or Beasley was the right move. If Leo was so valued by other teams, I fail to understand how he fell to 6 or why Macc wasn't able to parlay a trade back into a bounty of picks. 

Rinse and repeat this past draft with Adams. It nauseates me that Macc has no conception of how to make us a better team. Macc sold us that he couldn't pass on a freaking safety at 6 bc he's a generational type talent. Bullspit. He's not half the prospect as next year's top safety Derwin James. How ppl keep defending the OBVIOUS blunders of Macc, I'll never understand. 

on face value it does seem like a good point. i also agree about the leo pick and the adams pick only so-so as far as the team goes. on the other hand there are just so many other things that need to go right for a team to be successful.  heck we've just seen the bengals and the ravens have seriously down years and they have arguably top 10 qb's.  Same thing with pittsburgh and just when is the 92 million dollar man stafford going to lead his team to more than just a playoff spot.  imo the qb spot is highly overvalued because his performance is extremely dependent on the rest of the team doing well.  but one position does have to have the highest value so qb make sense.

as for what it takes to make the team better?  it's just not the usual physical metrics.  the successful players need to be able to play at a consistently high level game in and game out . the game is all about executing plays.  there's a good reason why lombardi had a small playbook but his teams could execute any of the plays to perfection in their sleep.

You may have a point there about the QB. I think the bigger thing is that, in today's nfl, you have to have a good offense and score points. Good QB play is usually the best way to make that happen, but certainly not the only way. A dominant OL and running game can certainly go a long ways. 

I still for the life of me can't figure out why we've ignored the offensive side of the ball for so long.

I know I'm a broken record, and merely an armchair QB, but watch what Deshaun Watson and Dalvin Cook achieve this year on their respective teams. We could've had them both and then let's revisit the safety-safety strategy of Macc.

Just now, Pointdexter said:

You may have a point there about the QB. I think the bigger thing is that, in today's nfl, you have to have a good offense and score points. Good QB play is usually the best way to make that happen, but certainly not the only way. A dominant OL and running game can certainly go a long ways. 

I still for the life of me can't figure out why we've ignored the offensive side of the ball for so long.

I know I'm a broken record, and merely an armchair QB, but watch what Deshaun Watson and Dalvin Cook achieve this year on their respective teams. We could've had them both and then let's revisit the safety-safety strategy of Macc.

Or we could look at Derek Barnett and Ju-Ju SS. Or Mike Williams and Ryan Anderson.  Or any combo of players.  

Why are we locked in to crying about Watson? There were many better players out there to bitch about us passing on.

On 9/2/2017 at 10:53 AM, Bugg said:

Some sportswriters move on to bigger and better things. Some spend their days pointlessly arguing with people(imaginary friends?) on twitter.  

The ticked off people at 1 Jets Dr-are any the same people at 1 Jets Dr who answered the phone when Richardson stepped on his dick the  2 times we know about?

On 9/2/2017 at 0:55 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

**** him. A year ago this fool was also harping just as hard on bringing back Fitzpatrick. Before that he was harping on how oh so awful it was that the Jets didn't "do the right thing" and extend Mo. 

Let this douche explain how a DL made up of 3 DTs and a NT is supposed to sack any moderately-mobile QB in the absence of blitzing or glue-like coverage in the secondary. You sign TWO of them. They're both playing end on a 3-man line so we can rush a ~250-lb OLB every down, or they're both playing inside so we can have a pair of quicker ends to rush the QB every down.

Sheldon absolutely was one of the 2-3 (and quite possibly the #1) most talented player on the team. But he's not so heads & shoulders above 2 other players the team already has who play the same position(s). If they hit on another position starter with the Seahawks' pick, or use it as ammo to trade up for a franchise QB, it's not even close how this was the right thing to do.

1. Immediately saves $6m net, assuming Kearney is kept. Actually it saves closer to $6.5m net since Kearse being here will bump the #51 cap player (making ~$500k) down to #52, thus removing him from the cap tally. Call it $2m/yr over the next 3 years. 
  2. Future saves the giant contract Sheldon would want (anyone's guess what that will be if he has a bounce back season plus another year of cap/FA inflation). Figure somewhere between $14-18m/yr over the next 3 years ($42-54m). Then enjoy the risk of Sheldon Richardson with 2 years guaranteed money. Prepare for zero production in 2018 for all that cash.
  3. Get a 2nd round pick -- if the player pans out as a starter, it'll save minimum $20m (possibly much more, depending upon the position) over the following 3 years, over filling the position with a veteran starter.

Basically over a 3 year span, not letting any of the Jets' current best players go - i.e. keeping all 3 of Leo and Mo and Sheldon - would cost some $75m more over a 3 yr span ($25m/yr) and quite possibly a lot more. Plus Kearse is a freebie acquisition on top of that, with $0 guaranteed, should we decide to keep or cut him.

So I'd say Mehta's math skills are no better than his personal or journalism skills.

*UPDATE*

This is our "lead" beat reporter folks.  Doubled down on the unprofessional dickery tonight when a fan called him out (again):Screenshot_20170904-015610.png

I can't believe he still has a job. 

For the record, I'm not believing a word this swarmy little rat writes.  

13 hours ago, Lil Woody said:

Or we could look at Derek Barnett and Ju-Ju SS. Or Mike Williams and Ryan Anderson.  Or any combo of players.  

Why are we locked in to crying about Watson? There were many better players out there to bitch about us passing on.

Because, crazy idea, it's the most important position on the field, Watson has shown himself to be a great NCAA QB with zero baggage. Or pick a decent edge pass rusher or an OT, but a goddamn safety and 2 at that? WTF? 

Because, crazy idea, it's the most important position on the field, Watson has shown himself to be a great NCAA QB with zero baggage. Or pick a decent edge pass rusher or an OT, but a goddamn safety and 2 at that? WTF? 

94224663a6a44ceba6710acd8927eb85.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

8 hours ago, Bugg said:

Watson throws about as consistent a deep ball as Fitztragic.  He can dime it occasionally, and tends to save it for clutch moments.....but more often than not it lands nowhere close to the target.  Not that it is the be all end all on QB play.  He might be fine, plenty of bad long ball throwers carved out a pretty good career in this game.  Stafford, Cousins and even Brady have had several bad years in that area.  Watson is an incredibly likeable prospect, but his game tape did not look all that impressive.  NCAA magic is a wonderful thing.  It rarely makes the jump to the NFL though.  I'd be willing to bet Watson is going to be consistently dealing with a high interception rate.

On 04/09/2017 at 0:51 AM, Pointdexter said:

watch what Deshaun Watson and Dalvin Cook achieve this year on their respective teams. We could've had them both and then let's revisit the safety-safety strategy of Macc.

What Watson and Cook do on their respective teams does not have any connection to what they'd have done on the Jets. Different situations entirely.

If we'd drafted Zeke last year would he have led the league in rushing for us? Or would Prescott have won 10+ games here?

3 hours ago, jamesr said:

What Watson and Cook do on their respective teams does not have any connection to what they'd have done on the Jets. Different situations entirely.

If we'd drafted Zeke last year would he have led the league in rushing for us? Or would Prescott have won 10+ games here?

I keep reading things like this and don't get the thinking at all. If they're players, they're players. Should we not want to add real talent because our surrounding cast sucks? Isn't that how we get better by adding legitimate talent?

And it's not like you could run Hackenberg out there in Houston or slow-ass Forte in Minnesota and expect them to be successful. They would suck at those respective teams too, just like here. 

2 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

I keep reading things like this and don't get the thinking at all. If they're players, they're players. Should we not want to add real talent because our surrounding cast sucks? Isn't that how we get better by adding legitimate talent?

And it's not like you could run Hackenberg out there in Houston or slow-ass Forte in Minnesota and expect them to be successful. They would suck at those respective teams too, just like here. 

I never said we shouldn't add them because of a poor supporting cast. You said we should compare Watson or Cook with our guys to see which was the better pick. I merely pointed out that you can't compare player performances in a vacuum.

I still read here from time to time that we screwed up by taking O'Brien over Marino, because Marino did so well in Miami. Who's to say, if we had drafted him, that we wouldn't be sitting here moaning about how we should have taken O'Brien?

7 hours ago, jamesr said:

I never said we shouldn't add them because of a poor supporting cast. You said we should compare Watson or Cook with our guys to see which was the better pick. I merely pointed out that you can't compare player performances in a vacuum.

I still read here from time to time that we screwed up by taking O'Brien over Marino, because Marino did so well in Miami. Who's to say, if we had drafted him, that we wouldn't be sitting here moaning about how we should have taken O'Brien?

Lolol ... Even the Cowboys 2016 OL would not have been able to keep O'Brien from taking a beating down in Miami for his career

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Good to see Sheldon playing well in the Seattle/GB game today.  And he's only been there a week.  He's gonna be a beast over there.

has he done anything?

20 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

has he done anything?

Stat wise?  I don't think so.  But in the limited plays he's seeing, he's making his presence felt out there.  

Definitely a nice upgrade for Seattle.

Just now, Mike135 said:

Stat wise?  I don't think so.  But in the limited plays he's seeing, he's making his presence felt out there.  

Definitely a nice upgrade for Seattle.

Our defense looked really bad today we couldn't stop a nose bleed they ran all over us. No one replaced SR

49 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Best player on the team, traded for roughly a high third. That's just good value anyway you slice it. 

In terms of trade value I think you mean roughly a high 4th not 3rd. We don't get the pick until 2018.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

In terms of trade value I think you mean roughly a high 4th not 3rd. We don't get the pick until 2018.

Isn't 2018 the upcoming draft? Wouldn't your scenario be true if the pick were in 2019? Am I missing something?

Just now, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Isn't 2018 the upcoming draft? Wouldn't your scenario be true if the pick were in 2019? Am I missing something?

We traded a player this year for a pick next year.

We don't get to use that late 2nd round pick the same year we made the trade; we have to wait until the following season.

2 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

We weren't getting a comp pick for Sheldon. Even if we let him walk, we have $80M+ to sign FA.  There is no way we are getting comp picks for next offseason.

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Our defense looked really bad today we couldn't stop a nose bleed they ran all over us. No one replaced SR

Yup.  Though I'm not surprised.  Not sure how anyone could be.  Sheldon is a real special player.  (As he just flattened Rodgers again.)