Sheldon Traded

AFJF

2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I've said this before, Kearse came to the Jets as a sweetener to the deal, not a sweetener for the Jets, but for Seattle.  It just so happens that the Jets can use him.  Probably as a #2.  This is a good deal for the Jets in a bad situation

It will be a good deal for the Seahawks if they win a Super Bowl.  Otherwise they  coughed up a 2nd rounder for a one year rental 

If he earns incentives it means he had a good year. He's been the past two seasons in the category of 50-500. So if he makes the 3.6 it's not that much for a good vet Wr. 

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Warfish has an excellent point. Any player with top NFL talent at his position on this roster should be handled properly, made to feel like he's a leader, and not made to feel like he's working for a low class organization with a head coach he doesn't believe in. 

Yes, we are in a spot now where losing him for a pick makes sense for our future. The fact that we got to this point is what no one seems to be discussing.  

SAR I

You can't just make a player become a leader. Sheldon doesn't have that in him at this stage in his life. A player like him needs discipline. Something that was seriously lacking under Rex, and isn't much--if at all--better under Bowles.

Leo is one of the future leaders of this team, not because of anything the coaches did, but because that's the kind character he has.

Lots of quotes to respond to.  here we go.

4 hours ago, flgreen said:

In all honesty when the trade first came out it looked like all they got was Kearse.  That's close to just cutting him.  Once the 2nd was announced, it looks like a very good deal

3 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

He certainly believes he will be, but that was clear the moment he was willing to cut every veteran on the roster.

3 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

What's to be gained by cutting Hackenburg at this point?

He's most likely 3rd on the depth chart right now - and for what his current CAP hit is, I have no problem with keeping him this season.

The Jets should try and keep his development going at least on the practice squad.  

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Kearse isn't a no. 1 receiver but he will be here. But I didn't think the Jets could get a player they can use and a second rounder. Sheldon could end up being a Pro Bowl player maybe. But not with us so not a bad deal for the Jets.

maybe they cut Kearse ultimately and still save money.   But if they want to evalulate QBs, he is a better than what they have. 

2 hours ago, tfine said:

Why do I think of Justin McCarins when I think of Jermaine Kearse

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

McCareins was drafted.  Kearse was a free agent.

1 minute ago, pointman said:

Sheldon gone.. Mo underperforms and is gone.. then we are left with Leo... and us drafting a DL in the 1st round again. I love this team.

I think that is part of the plan.  You draft Sheldon if you have a 1-5 year horizon.  You can't give a contract to that.  Maybe we can bring him back oned day.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Warfish has an excellent point. Any player with top NFL talent at his position on this roster should be handled properly, made to feel like he's a leader, and not made to feel like he's working for a low class organization with a head coach he doesn't believe in. 

Yes, we are in a spot now where losing him for a pick makes sense for our future. The fact that we got to this point is what no one seems to be discussing.  

SAR I

Just because you have talent doesn't make you a leader. You can't make leaders. Richardson isn't a leader. Marshall thought he was a leader and how did that turn out. 

Players know who the leaders are. 

Sheldon gone.. Mo underperforms and is gone.. then we are left with Leo... and us drafting a DL in the 1st round again. I love this team.
It's the Jets circle jerk. I'm​ indifferent because I don't think they give him a contract so get something...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

When is the future?  Jets fans have been hoping and dreaming about the future for years its been here and gone many times with the same results.........

6 hours ago, Tony MaC said:

This was a great trade. 

We were never keeping Richardson after this year, Mac just turned a would be free agent who we may or may not have got a (third round at best) comp pick for into a second rounder.

AND a WR who might help us.

This is a winner, I never thought something like this could be pulled off. 

This is honestly the bottom line here.  People thought we would get absolutely nothing for Sheldon because of his off the field issues and rightfully so.  Look at Josh Gordon who's a perfect example of superior talent on the field but an inferior mind off the field and the Browns got screwed.  The last thing we would need down the line is for this kid to screw up and get himself suspended for the season.  We were stacked at the position and got a 2nd rounder while teams around the league most definitely knew that there was no way he was staying here.  We received a 2nd rounder for him.  On top of that we got a receiver to add to our receiver group who, lets face it, has nothing to write home about yet.  

I honestly have no clue how people are finding anything negative about this trade.  This trade is an A+ for this Jets team.

“You don’t let the most talented guys leave… especially at that position,” a team insider said of Richardson. “You try and find a way to make it work.”

These Jets evidently are allergic to good football players.

There weren’t many people on One Jets Drive excited about parting with Richardson. In fact, many important voices were in the dark about this trade until after it went down.

“We should have sent them Hack,” a second source said.

14 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

“You don’t let the most talented guys leave… especially at that position,” a team insider said of Richardson. “You try and find a way to make it work.”

There weren’t many people on One Jets Drive excited about parting with Richardson. In fact, many important voices were in the dark about this trade until after it went down.

so it was the Jets fault Richardson behave like a stupid criminal and make it impossible to give him a contract?

if the Jets would give Richardson a huge contract like he wants and then he would get suspended for failing a test fans like you will blame Mac for doing the wrong thing again.

Richardson is an idiot and trading was the best thing this summer

16 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Sounds like a Mehta article. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Yes it was. 

It's bullsh*t. 

Hes pissed. Pretty sure Sheldon was a source of his. Mo won't talk to MM so he's been trying to sh*t on Mo so Jets would dump Mo and keep Sheldon. So now he's whining like the little girl he is. 

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

It's an example of total mismanagement.  A failure to manage our talent.

We lose a legit talent because we drafted what, like 14 D-linemen, and our staff mismanaged and made Sheldon unhappy.  

We get a #3 WR.  And a 2nd Round pick.....check out our history on those.

I get it, and agree, it's the best we could do....now.

We never should have got to this point.  And what we got (and likely will get with that 2nd) will assuredly be less than what Sheldon is, was, and should be.

You're right, this isn't the straw, it's just salt in the wounds.  And we'll be ok, because have 13 other 1st round D-linemen to fall back on.

Maybe, just maybe, we should have used one of the picks on a QB at some point.  I hear we're a bit sh*t at that spot, our great new #3 WR or not.

This is dead-on. A 2 + a veteran is a lot more than I thought Maccagnan's dumb ass would ever net for Richardson, so in that sense the trade is a success. That said, trading a borderline-great 26-year-old for a half-decent #3 wideout and what will probably end up being the 63rd pick in the draft bespeaks a comprehensive organization-wide failure of resource allocation, player development, and roster management. You can like the trade qua the trade and still hate that we're in a position where we have to be making a trade like this at all.

2 hours ago, C Mart said:

Just because you have talent doesn't make you a leader. You can't make leaders. Richardson isn't a leader. Marshall thought he was a leader and how did that turn out. 

Players know who the leaders are. 

Sheldon Richardson was a pain in the rump to the Jets, but I believe the team was willing to see what he could do this year before making a decision . Coach Bowles even went so far as telling the media that he thought the player was in a good place when he didn't bite on the Marshall cheese thrown out by the media at the start of camp .  Then this kid goes on the radio and runs off at the mouth about a topic that players were told was a forgotten topic . I know how I felt when I read what Richardson said and I know what I saw on the coach's face when the media kept asking him about a topic he wanted nothing to do with . Right then, Richardson bought his ticket out of town and he couldn't leave fast enough .

41 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Yes, they've been trying to trade him for like two seasons now , so I'm sure many were clearly in the dark about that - sounds like a Manish, Costello or Cimini quote for certian.

45 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Good. Let this whole team be bathed in cleansing flame this season and burn away the dead weight so the next regime can start anew.

32 minutes ago, fusionCA said:

maybe we trade Mehta to the pacific northwest  , he can be a fisherman 

He would never survive on a fishing ship though. They'd throw him into the ocean after his first "article".

"Is this lame duck Captain just a butthole who steals my yogurt from the mini-fridge? One anonymous source says 'Yes'."

3 hours ago, pointman said:

This is going to happen no matter what our record is this year.  It's what we do.  I am just glad we are getting some offense in here, no matter the means.

7 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

What's to be gained by cutting Hackenburg at this point?

He's most likely 3rd on the depth chart right now - and for what his current CAP hit is, I have no problem with keeping him this season.

Exactly, the guy came in, had a decent camp and has done nothing but work hard. Everyone knew he was a multi-year project all along. He is 22, cutting him now would be pointless.

It will play out but he isn't going to get on the field until injuries happen probably to both McCown and Petty. Hopefully Petty doesn't get hurt and makes the most of his opportunity. Because McCown is definitely getting hurt.

Archived