Retired # or Jetway of Honor???

MSGold12

To me , retiring numbers should be reserved for the TRULY special players in a franchises hisroty. Especially in football where you have 53 men on your roster and have restrictions on what numbers those players can wear anyway.

What I have never understood is why the jets have never established a "Jetway of Honor". I mean the freakin Seahawks have a team HOF and they've only been around since 1976 and havent won crap!

Here's what I would do:

I like that the jets have only "retired" 12, 13 and 73. Despite not being in the HOF, Klecko was a special player for us. 28 will get retired too eventually. However, I do NOT consider retiring 80 or any other players number...simply put, none were special enough in their career here to have that type of honor.

But I would create a "Jetway of fame" and have the players name, number and year played displayed around the new stadium (a la Dallas does wiht thie ring of fame). Each year they could induct a new "class". Class #1 for me woud be Namath, Maynard, Ewbank and Klecko. After that, you could add more each year so guys like Hill, Gastineau, Toon, McNeil, Snell, Leahy, Chrebet, Shuler, Lewis, Harper, Philbin, Walker and POwell could all get their due...but not to the extreme extent of a retied number.

The retied number ting has been watered down badly (the Yankees are the biggest culprits...how do you retire Reggie's #44 who only spent 5 years there or Maris' #9 when nettles was more deservving anyway). No, that is for the truly great.

But the jets have so little acknowlegemtn of their past players other then Joe it ridiculous and this would be a good way to fix that.

Thioughts?

I think the Jets should do something to acknowledge their past, especially the players that made a huge impact on the franchise. It will be interesting to see how it is done if at all with the new stadium. Since they are sharing it I have a funny feeling not much will be done.

I think the Jets should do something to acknowledge their past, especially the players that made a huge impact on the franchise. It will be interesting to see how it is done if at all with the new stadium. Since they are sharing it I have a funny feeling not much will be done.

From what I understand, the stadum is going to be so technologically advanced that on Jet days its gin to look like Jets stadium and on Ginats days its going to look like Ginats stadium...even the interior colors will change. And since most of the signage now is digital, I see no reason they can't "display" the names during Jets games and "remove" them during Giants games.

Listen, I hate the fact that we are staying in NJ as much as anyone but this will NOT be like it is now. Right now we are tenants, there we will be owners. Right now its called "GInats Stadium", then it will not. Woody is shelling a pretty penny into this, he wants it to be HIS showplace as much as it can be.

I sau reserve the concourse signage ring for a Jets "Jetway of Honor" and start recognizing some of the great players this team has had NOT named Namath.

Great Idea

Names I would include of players over the last 10 years

Lewis

Martin

Mawae

Testaverde

Coaches- Parcells

Lewis- Yes

Martin- Yes

Mawae- yes

Testaverde- no chance. The guy had exactly 3 productive seasons for us as a starter. O'Brien and Todd would go in before Vinny would.

From the last 10 years I'd also say Chrebet and Glenn also.

To me , retiring numbers should be reserved for the TRULY special players in a franchises hisroty. Especially in football where you have 53 men on your roster and have restrictions on what numbers those players can wear anyway.

What I have never understood is why the jets have never established a "Jetway of Honor". I mean the freakin Seahawks have a team HOF and they've only been around since 1976 and havent won crap!

Here's what I would do:

I like that the jets have only "retired" 12, 13 and 73. Despite not being in the HOF, Klecko was a special player for us. 28 will get retired too eventually. However, I do NOT consider retiring 80 or any other players number...simply put, none were special enough in their career here to have that type of honor.

But I would create a "Jetway of fame" and have the players name, number and year played displayed around the new stadium (a la Dallas does wiht thie ring of fame). Each year they could induct a new "class". Class #1 for me woud be Namath, Maynard, Ewbank and Klecko. After that, you could add more each year so guys like Hill, Gastineau, Toon, McNeil, Snell, Leahy, Chrebet, Shuler, Lewis, Harper, Philbin, Walker and POwell could all get their due...but not to the extreme extent of a retied number.

The retied number ting has been watered down badly (the Yankees are the biggest culprits...how do you retire Reggie's #44 who only spent 5 years there or Maris' #9 when nettles was more deservving anyway). No, that is for the truly great.

But the jets have so little acknowlegemtn of their past players other then Joe it ridiculous and this would be a good way to fix that.

Thioughts?

I don't care too much about the HOF and all that crap. I don't think the team is exactly proud of Gastineau. I know Curtis is great and all that, but I consider Chrebet more of a "Jet" than Martin. The idea of a lesser "honor" is a good one. Not too cool to have a "Jetway of Honor" in Giants stadium though.

Nettles over Maris? C'mon. Maris won the MVP back to back. That's for the best player. How many times was Nettles best player in baseball? Not to mention the non-steroid hr record. At least the Yankees won't have to worry about Mo's number. The league retired it for them.

I don't care too much about the HOF and all that crap. I don't think the team is exactly proud of Gastineau. I know Curtis is great and all that, but I consider Chrebet more of a "Jet" than Martin. The idea of a lesser "honor" is a good one. Not too cool to have a "Jetway of Honor" in Giants stadium though.

Nettles over Maris? C'mon. Maris won the MVP back to back. That's for the best player. How many times was Nettles best player in baseball? Not to mention the non-steroid hr record. At least the Yankees won't have to worry about Mo's number. The league retired it for them.

It wont be Ginats Stadium much longer and I wouldnt implement this until the new stadium opens anyway.

Maris? Come on. You get your number retired for having back to back MVPs? The guy played 5 more years in NY AFTER his MVPs and broke 30 hrs and 75 rbi exactly once and probably doesnt even rank in the top 10 OFers in Yankee history. Nettles on the other hand is the best 3Bman in team history, was a 5 time all star as a Yankee, a multiple gold glove winner, a member of 2 championship teams, and was considered the best fielding 3Bmen in baseball after Robinson retired. The onyl reason Maris got his number retired was because he was dying of lung cancer and Big george felt bad that he left NY on such bad terms in the late 60s. 9 will always be Puff...not Rahjah.

the digital image is fine and on game days I am sure will look nice but just not the same thing. And no way in hell is Vinny in the discussion.

I agree on BOTH counts.

Stadium in Queens always made the most sense to me...but they putzed around so much with that Manhattan pipe dream (that ANYONE who knew ANYTHING about NY politics KNEW was NEVER going to happen) that they got backed into a corner with the NJ thing and had to take it. If they ahd looked at Queens from Day 1, it would have given them plenty of time to secure the land...but since it was so late, if they turned down the NJ offer and then couldnt finalize the Queens deal we'd be looking at the LA Jets!!!!

It wont be Ginats Stadium much longer and I wouldnt implement this until the new stadium opens anyway.

Maris? Come on. You get your number retired for having back to back MVPs? The guy played 5 more years in NY AFTER his MVPs and broke 30 hrs and 75 rbi exactly once and probably doesnt even rank in the top 10 OFers in Yankee history. Nettles on the other hand is the best 3Bman in team history, was a 5 time all star as a Yankee, a multiple gold glove winner, a member of 2 championship teams, and was considered the best fielding 3Bmen in baseball after Robinson retired. The onyl reason Maris got his number retired was because he was dying of lung cancer and Big george felt bad that he left NY on such bad terms in the late 60s. 9 will always be Puff...not Rahjah.

Two titles? Wow! It's not like Maris teams won the pennant five years in a row or anything.

I agree on BOTH counts.

Stadium in Queens always made the most sense to me...but they putzed around so much with that Manhattan pipe dream (that ANYONE who knew ANYTHING about NY politics KNEW was NEVER going to happen) that they got backed into a corner with the NJ thing and had to take it. If they ahd looked at Queens from Day 1, it would have given them plenty of time to secure the land...but since it was so late, if they turned down the NJ offer and then couldnt finalize the Queens deal we'd be looking at the LA Jets!!!!

The only way the west side deal could have worked was if NY got the Olympics. Woody hooked his dream up to Bloomberg's. Woody probably thought Bloomberg wouldn't sell him out once the Olympic pipe dream went up in smoke, but he got welcomed to politics.

Here's what I would do:

Thioughts?

Couldn't agree more. Would ove the Jets Ring of Honor or whatever you want to call it for players like Toon, Chrebet, Mehl, Boozer, Snell, Sauer, etc...

Also agree about Nettles being more deserving than Maris. Nettles is the best 3rd baseman in Yankee history (sorry A-Rod), played more years in a Yanke uniform than Maris did and was a Yankee Captain for Chrissakes.

WTF, George?

Two titles? Wow! It's not like Maris teams won the pennant five years in a row or anything

The only way the west side deal could have worked was if NY got the Olympics. Woody hooked his dream up to Bloomberg's. Woody probably thought Bloomberg wouldn't sell him out once the Olympic pipe dream went up in smoke, but he got welcomed to politics.

Hmmm....lets see here. Maris' teams won 5 pennants in 5 years and 2 titles. Mind yu there were no playoffs then so a divisin title won you a pennant. Nettles team won pennants in 76, 77, 78, and 81 and in 80 they won the division...and two titles. Also, its not like Maris came into a rebuilding proces like nettles did. I think its safe tosay the Yanks were fairly well established in the late 50's when Maris arrived in 1960. And Maris did dick after 1962. Nettles on the other hand played 11 years in NY and was an all satr 5 times with the Yanks to go wiht his pennants and WS titles. BL, If maris hits 59 HRs in 1961 instead of 61, we arent even having this conversation. He had two big years in NY and after that was no better then average. He was known for one thing. That should NOT get your number retired. I mena why not retire Don Larsen then????

The Olympics were a pipe dream from the begining too. There was very little chance NY was going to get them regardless of the stadium. When they had to HIRE people to stabnd outside wiht banners suporting the NYC2012 issues, you KNEW it was trouble. Not one new yorkers gave a crap about getthg the Olympics...in fact most didnt want them! But Woody bought into the Manhattahn hype and blew any chance of getting his own stadium in Queens by holding on to the Manhattan pipe dream far too long.

Couldn't agree more. Would ove the Jets Ring of Honor or whatever you want to call it for players like Toon, Chrebet, Mehl, Boozer, Snell, Sauer, etc...

Also agree about Nettles being more deserving than Maris. Nettles is the best 3rd baseman in Yankee history (sorry A-Rod), played more years in a Yanke uniform than Maris did and was a Yankee Captain for Chrissakes.

WTF, George?

George felt bad for Maris because he was dying of lung cancer so he retired his number for him. Go loko at the year thye retired it and the year maris died...coincidnece? Or did it take the Yanks 20 years to come to remember him?

Maris had 2 MVP seasons with the Yanks but he walked into a team that was already loaded and had won sveral titles in the 50s. Nettles came to the Yanks during full blwon rebuild mode and was a key figure in their late 70s early 80s resurgance. if his bating average were a bit higher and he hit 4 more HRs (he finished with 396), he ma very well be in the HOF. Is Maris? Nope. Nettles was the FAR better Yabnkee and FAR more deserving of having the 9 retired then Maris was.

Part of the problem was that Nettles left in 1984 under bad terms and when they retired Maris number in 1985, they were still pissed at Nettles so they didnt care that it was HIS 9 they were retiring.

George felt bad for Maris because he was dying of lung cancer so he retired his number for him. Go loko at the year thye retired it and the year maris died...coincidnece? Or did it take the Yanks 20 years to come to remember him?

Maris had 2 MVP seasons with the Yanks but he walked into a team that was already loaded and had won sveral titles in the 50s. Nettles came to the Yanks during full blwon rebuild mode and was a key figure in their late 70s early 80s resurgance. if his bating average were a bit higher and he hit 4 more HRs (he finished with 396), he ma very well be in the HOF. Is Maris? Nope. Nettles was the FAR better Yabnkee and FAR more deserving of having the 9 retired then Maris was.

Part of the problem was that Nettles left in 1984 under bad terms and when they retired Maris number in 1985, they were still pissed at Nettles so they didnt care that it was HIS 9 they were retiring.

Dead on, MS.

I'll also add that in the 70's, other than Munson, Nettles was arguably the most popular Yankee amongst fans and George's decision to make him Yankee captain after Munson illustrated what he meant to the team, especially after Thurman was killed.

To this day, other than Yogi, Whitey, Scooter, Mattingly, and perhaps Murcer, Nettles consistently gets the loudest ovation at Old Timer's Day.

He should be honored by the Yankees at some point.

Hmmm....lets see here. Maris' teams won 5 pennants in 5 years and 2 titles. Mind yu there were no playoffs then so a divisin title won you a pennant. Nettles team won pennants in 76, 77, 78, and 81 and in 80 they won the division...and two titles. Also, its not like Maris came into a rebuilding proces like nettles did. I think its safe tosay the Yanks were fairly well established in the late 50's when Maris arrived in 1960. And Maris did dick after 1962. Nettles on the other hand played 11 years in NY and was an all satr 5 times with the Yanks to go wiht his pennants and WS titles. BL, If maris hits 59 HRs in 1961 instead of 61, we arent even having this conversation. He had two big years in NY and after that was no better then average. He was known for one thing. That should NOT get your number retired. I mena why not retire Don Larsen then????

The Olympics were a pipe dream from the begining too. There was very little chance NY was going to get them regardless of the stadium. When they had to HIRE people to stabnd outside wiht banners suporting the NYC2012 issues, you KNEW it was trouble. Not one new yorkers gave a crap about getthg the Olympics...in fact most didnt want them! But Woody bought into the Manhattahn hype and blew any chance of getting his own stadium in Queens by holding on to the Manhattan pipe dream far too long.

Woody isn't as dumb as you think. I don't think he actually thought we'd be getting the Olympics. I think he believed that by pushing for the stadium, the mayor would back him because the mayor needed it for the Olympics. Once he hitched his horse to that wagon he couldn't bail without getting on the wrong side of the mayor. They both probably underestimated cablevision's ability to smear the whole deal.

As for Maris, I'll just say I disagree. I loved Nettles and never saw Maris play, but Nettles being close to the HOF is basically a function of how crappy most 3rd baseman were. Maris was the best in baseball. Twice. Nettles was never the best 3rd baseman in the AL.

Lewis- Yes

Martin- Yes

Mawae- yes

Testaverde- no chance. The guy had exactly 3 productive seasons for us as a starter. O'Brien and Todd would go in before Vinny would.

From the last 10 years I'd also say Chrebet and Glenn also.

Chrebet and Aaron Glenn are givens. Mawae, Gastineau, Klecko are also givens.

But John Scmitt and Joe Fields were solid long term centers for us. What about Winston Hill, Randy Rasmussen, Marvin Powell. Beside Klecko and Gastineau how about Sack Exchange mate Marty Lyons. Gerry Philbin has to be in there. We also have had some solid longterm linemen like Dave Herman and Dan Alexander that deserve mention. Jeff Criswell too.

Woody isn't as dumb as you think. I don't think he actually thought we'd be getting the Olympics. I think he believed that by pushing for the stadium, the mayor would back him because the mayor needed it for the Olympics. Once he hitched his horse to that wagon he couldn't bail without getting on the wrong side of the mayor. They both probably underestimated cablevision's ability to smear the whole deal.

As for Maris, I'll just say I disagree. I loved Nettles and never saw Maris play, but Nettles being close to the HOF is basically a function of how crappy most 3rd baseman were. Maris was the best in baseball. Twice. Nettles was never the best 3rd baseman in the AL.

Woody got taken in byu the birght lights of Manhattan and didnt reralize it was DOOMED from the start and then by the time he did realize it, he had no choice but to take the NJ offer because Queens was still no sure ting and there wasnt time to find out. Shame. A beautiful football stadium in Flushing Meadow to go wioth the new Shea and the tennis center would have been operfect.

As to Maris...winning the MVP and "bieng the best" are two FAR different things...especially when it comes to having a number retired. Maris was never the "best". He had two very good seasons...one of whihc gets a lot of hype. Beyond that he did noting for the Yanks. NO, Nettles was never the best 3bman in the AL...but only because there was a guy named George Brett who was there. But Nettles was a consistent all star and aside from Brooks Robinson, the best fielder of his generation at his position. he also had nearly 400 HRs and won 5 pennants during his career. A s far as Yankees go, if you dont feel Nettles should have had his number retired then thats fine...but that Maris had the SAME nuber retired instead of Nettloes is undenyably ridiculous.

Chrebet and Aaron Glenn are givens. Mawae, Gastineau, Klecko are also givens.

But John Scmitt and Joe Fields were solid long term centers for us. What about Winston Hill, Randy Rasmussen, Marvin Powell. Beside Klecko and Gastineau how about Sack Exchange mate Marty Lyons. Gerry Philbin has to be in there. We also have had some solid longterm linemen like Dave Herman and Dan Alexander that deserve mention. Jeff Criswell too.

I was just referring to the last 10 years. Of the guys you mention I agree wht almost all you name excpet Criswell (he was no better then average) and Lyons (not even in the top 5 DL men in team history behind Kleck, Gastinaeu, Philbin, Elliott and Biggs).

I was just referring to the last 10 years. Of the guys you mention I agree wht almost all you name excpet Criswell (he was no better then average) and Lyons (not even in the top 5 DL men in team history behind Kleck, Gastinaeu, Philbin, Elliott and Biggs).

I forgot about John Elliot and Verlon Biggs. Both of them would be in. I also forgot to mention Dennis Byrd. I know his career wasn't long but it was very good and the tragic way it ended I feel he he deserves to be metioned in a Jetway of Honor.

Here's what I would do:

Thioughts?

We should retire #19

I forgot about John Elliot and Verlon Biggs. Both of them would be in. I also forgot to mention Dennis Byrd. I know his career wasn't long but it was very good and the tragic way it ended I feel he he deserves to be metioned in a Jetway of Honor.

I kind of like this idea, but I was just about to start complaining. Most of these guys belong, but Criswell? Then I saw John Elliot and thought you meant John "Jumbo" Elliot and was about to start bitching that you guys wanted everybody in. Took me a minute to remember the real John Elliot.

I kind of like this idea, but I was just about to start complaining. Most of these guys belong, but Criswell? Then I saw John Elliot and thought you meant John "Jumbo" Elliot and was about to start bitching that you guys wanted everybody in. Took me a minute to remember the real John Elliot.

BigBad John (#80)...not Jumbo (#76).

CRiswell??? That one left me scratching my head as well.

Ok here is a longer list of who should be in, I AN NOT INCLUDING RETIRED # OR FUTURE RETIRED #

Mathis

Philban

Boozer

Snell

Todd

Gastineau

O'Brien

Toon

Bryd

Coach-Parcells

Chrebet

Mo Lewis

Marvin Jones

Mawae

Testaverde

Philbin, Boozer, Snell, Gastineau, Toon, Chrebet, Lewis, Mawae...yes

Mathis, Todd, O'Brien, Jones, Testaverde...no way

Byrd is a judgement call for sentmental reasons only.

You also left out Walker, Harper, Leahy, McNeil, Hill, Fields, Glenn, Mehl, Buttle, Shuler, Powell, Alexander, Atkinson, Sauer, and Riggins ALL of whom should be in BEFORE many of the people you listed.

You guys are right. Criswell was a reach. I was trying to come up with linemen that started for more than 2 or 3 seasons and were not injured a lot of the time.

You also left out Walker, Harper, Leahy, McNeil, Hill, Fields, Glenn, Mehl, Buttle, Shuler, Powell, Alexander, Atkinson, Sauer, and Riggins ALL of whom should be in BEFORE many of the people you listed.

What about Kyle Clifton? Erik McMillan? James Hasty? Victor Green?

OK, Here's my list ...

Givens:

Joe Namath

Don Maynard

Joe Klecko

Weeb Ewbank

Curtis Martin (Should have his number retired)

Previously mentioned:

Gerry Philbin

John Elliot

Emerson Boozer

Matt Snell

Mark Gastineau

Al Toon

Dennis Bryd

Wayne Chrebet

Mo Lewis

Marvin Jones

Kevin Mawae

Wesley Walker

Pat Leahy

Freeman McNeil

Winston Hill

Joe Fields

Lance Mehl

Greg Buttle

Mickey Shuler

Marvin Powell

Dan Alexander

Al Atkinson

George Sauer

Verlon Biggs

Not previously mentioned:

Larry Grantham (4 Time all-AFL, 7 time All-Pro, arguably the most accomplished LB in Jets history)

Dave Herman (2 Time Pro-Bowler and one of the best offensive guards we've ever had)

Randy Rasmussen (How can anyone forget this guy?)

Jerome Barkum (Very underrated TE)

Richard Caster (3 Time Pro-Bowler, Namath's favorite target in the early to mid-70's)

Marty Lyons (1/4 of the Exchange, a terrific Jet, who is still w/ the team)

John Schmitt (2 Time All-Pro)

Previously mentioned, but ones I don't agree with:

John Riggins (Didn't play long enough in a Jets uniform)

Vinny Testaverde (Good as a Jet, but not worthy)

Ken O'Brien (Good as a Jet, but not worthy)

Richard Todd (Good, but not worthy)

Bruce Harper (Good, but not worthy)

Aaron Glenn (On the fence for me)

Jeff Criswell (Are you kidding?)

My two cents ...

I didn't. Mentioned him yesterday. My favorite Jet when I was growing up. Mentioned Schmitt, Herman and Lyons as well. Yeah, I mentioned Criswell but I was wrong. I was trying to find a lineman from that late Walton thru Coslet era. I remembered him and Cadigan. But Cadigan seemed to miss alot of time due to injury. So I threw Criswell out there. My bad.

OK, Here's my list ...

Givens:

Joe Namath

Don Maynard

Joe Klecko

Weeb Ewbank

Curtis Martin (Should have his number retired)

Previously mentioned:

Gerry Philbin

John Elliot

Emerson Boozer

Matt Snell

Mark Gastineau

Al Toon

Dennis Bryd

Wayne Chrebet

Mo Lewis

Marvin Jones

Kevin Mawae

Wesley Walker

Pat Leahy

Freeman McNeil

Winston Hill

Joe Fields

Lance Mehl

Greg Buttle

Mickey Shuler

Marvin Powell

Dan Alexander

Al Atkinson

George Sauer

Verlon Biggs

Larry Grantham (4 Time all-AFL, 7 time All-Pro, arguably the most accomplished LB in Jets history)

Dave Herman (2 Time Pro-Bowler and one of the best offensive guards we've ever had)

Jerome Barkum (Very underrated TE)

Richard Caster (3 Time Pro-Bowler, Namath's favorite target in the early to mid-70's)

Marty Lyons (1/4 of the Exchange, a terrific Jet, who is still w/ the team)

John Schmitt (2 Time All-Pro)

Previously mentioned, but ones I don't agree with:

John Riggins (Didn't play long enough in a Jets uniform)

Vinny Testaverde (Good as a Jet, but not worthy)

Ken O'Brien (Good as a Jet, but not worthy)

Richard Todd (Good, but not worthy)

Bruce Harper (Good, but not worthy)

Aaron Glenn (On the fence for me)

Jeff Criswell (Are you kidding?)

My two cents ...

Terrific list. I agree with most all. A few comments...

I take out Marvin JOnes...to be frank, his career never lived up to what we hoped it would.

Of your "no" list Id have to say haprer is in. If Byrd gets in for sentimental reasons the harper gets in for the combination of being the best all purpose back we have ever had AND being imnmesely popular. I also put Glenn in...he was our best CB of all time.

Great list. Your two cents was worth at least a quarter. Inflation since '68 and all. :)

I think it's a fun idea. I think Pat Leahy should be on the list if I missed it anywhere. Winston Hill should be in the HOF, though.

Winston HIll should ABSOLUTELY be in the HOF.

Archived