The Contender

Maxman

Is anyone still watching? I don't think so, the ratings are pretty bad. But I am digging this show.

Jesse came through with the knockout last night. After having to lose 8 pounds right before the match that was huge! Having any stamina left was surprising.

I still watch it. Love that show. Jesse got lucky as hell in the 5th round.

31 seconds to go...lucky is right. Now here is the question. Ihad the fight 3 rounds to 1 going into the 5th, Jesse was losing.

Jesse knocks him down in the 5th which makes it a 10 - 8 round. If they don't call the TKO and it goes to the cards who wins?

Tough call because Anthony pounded Jesse in some of those other rounds.

I still have to go Jesse because ending the fight like that is IMPRESSIVE.

Saddest thing about that fight was the fact that they force these fighters to put their kids in the stands for dramatic effect. Toddlers have to watch daddy being knocked unconscious. Sickening. Second worst thing...Bonsante had the fight in his pocket going into the last round, and his cornermen told him to go in and duke it out, when he should have gone defensive and collected the win he earned the previous four rounds. Anything for ratings, I guess.

Saddest thing about that fight was the fact that they force these fighters to put their kids in the stands for dramatic effect. Toddlers have to watch daddy being knocked unconscious. Sickening. Second worst thing...Bonsante had the fight in his pocket going into the last round, and his cornermen told him to go in and duke it out, when he should have gone defensive and collected the win he earned the previous four rounds. Anything for ratings, I guess.

Good points. The kids get as much camera time as the fighters. The older kids (Anthonys) should be okay. But the toddlers? WTF is up with that?

Bonsante had the fight though. All he has to do is not hit the canvas and he wins. The corner man did give him some bad direction there.

But I wanted him to lose so I was happy with it.

Jesse said they have to fight like 3 days later? That is BRUTAL and pretty stupid if you ask me. They filmed this over a year ago...so what the hell where they in such a rush for!

Im loving the show, but I agree - having the little ones at ringside watching dad get hit is a little over the top.

I was rooting for Jesse "Stinkley" too. It was great how in the challenge the week before, he blew the dirt in the other guy's face to get a head start, and wound up making the match everyone wanted to see.

You're right - Bonsante had it, if he had only stayed away for another 30 seconds or so.

I had Bonsante winnng it in a decision. Everyone knew, that's why they told Jesse he had to knock him out in the 5th. As far as the kids in the stands, I don't have a problem with it. I am sure that is not the first fight their kids and spouses have seen them fight. It's their profession. I view it the same as a pro football player's kids watching them get knocked around on the field. Their kids and family see them taking vicious hits every now and then.

your right bren she looked ridiculous!

hate to think that his corner guys would tell him to go balls to the wall in the 5th because of ratings.

he should have been smart enough to know he was way ahead on the cards. very stupid strategy for an older supposedly more mature guy to do. He deserves going out like an idiot, sort of like throwing the ball with a big lead late in the game. :shock:

Great show!

I heard it has not been renewed, I figured my wife and I were the only ones watching it, and I don't watch anything on TV.

lol...i love the show....i hate boxing, cant watch it on SHO or PPV....but love this dam show....im glad that anthony lost..couldnt stand him...

lol...i love the show....i hate boxing, cant watch it on SHO or PPV....but love this dam show....im glad that anthony lost..couldnt stand him...

He just cried too much...Tom Hanks should tell him there is no crying in boxing! LOL

good fight . I agree with kids & boxing don't mix. bad corner mgm't & glad jesse won. wish joey was still fighting. after corelles & castillo on sat night , nothing surprised me. Jesse did catch him flush with that uppercut. wow

not enough sugar ray input & too much wife & kids prior & during the fight for my liking.

I dont have a problem with the older kids at ringside, but over the course of the season, Im pretty sure they did mention a few times that different fighters' real young kids had never seen their dads fight. Its got to be traumatic when they're under 5.

Its a shame if it doesnt get picked up for a second season. Its a great concept, and a lot more interesting than most reality shows on tv.

I dont have a problem with the older kids at ringside, but over the course of the season, Im pretty sure they did mention a few times that different fighters' real young kids had never seen their dads fight. Its got to be traumatic when they're under 5.

Its a shame if it doesnt get picked up for a second season. Its a great concept, and a lot more interesting than most reality shows on tv.

knowing fox if it does get replaced, it'll be with girls of the night fighting for streetcorners

good fight . I agree with kids & boxing don't mix. bad corner mgm't & glad jesse won. wish joey was still fighting. after corelles & castillo on sat night , nothing surprised me. Jesse did catch him flush with that uppercut. wow

not enough sugar ray input & too much wife & kids prior & during the fight for my liking.

That drives me crazy about Sugar Ray. They all need to let the man speak. He is a legend. I don't care what some chick (House Mom) thinks about the fight. I want to hear from Sugar.

yeah max, I fully expected him to give tips & advice as to what it takes to make it in the sport & show much more sparring & technique. I will watch next week but don't feel the need to tune in til there 40 minutes into the show.

The kids at ringside is this show's downfall. You're never happy at teh end of a fight, because it's the loser you're more concerned with. A major bummer to see toddlers crying and shaking as dad, who put his health on the line to give them a better life, walks away broke and beaten. Boxing runs through my family lineage, I fought as an amateur (Golden Gloves, etc.) and my father fought in the early sixties as a pro out of Paterson, NJ (Madison Square Garden televised fight--St' Nicks arena, even fought on the undercard of an Emile Griffith championship bout). We didn't beleive in bringing wives/kids/girlfriends along. Most fighters don't. The atmosphere is riotous enough without the actual fighting. But when the beating starts and the blood begins to flow, it's becomes obvious that babies don't belong. Think of Benny Paret, Du Ku Kim, or any other of the dozens of fighters who were killed in the ring, and you realize you could be forcing a child to watch an execution.

The kids at ringside is this show's downfall. You're never happy at teh end of a fight, because it's the loser you're more concerned with. A major bummer to see toddlers crying and shaking as dad, who put his health on the line to give them a better life, walks away broke and beaten. Boxing runs through my family lineage, I fought as an amateur (Golden Gloves, etc.) and my father fought in the early sixties as a pro out of Paterson, NJ (Madison Square Garden televised fight--St' Nicks arena, even fought on the undercard of an Emile Griffith championship bout). We didn't beleive in bringing wives/kids/girlfriends along. Most fighters don't. The atmosphere is riotous enough without the actual fighting. But when the beating starts and the blood begins to flow, it's becomes obvious that babies don't belong. Think of Benny Paret, Du Ku Kim, or any other of the dozens of fighters who were killed in the ring, and you realize you could be forcing a child to watch an execution.

I hung out in that gym in Paterson where Lou Duva trained Tony Iella...my grandpa took me there when I was a little girl

WebLittleGirl.jpg

I hung out in that gym in Paterson where Lou Duva trained Tony Iella...my grandpa took me there when I was a little girl

WebLittleGirl.jpg

It's either gotta be Lenny Shaw's (my and my father's gym), or Lou costello gym. I've met Lou Duva and his brother, they're good friends of my fathers. My trainers were Paul and Art Cavalier, and Ace Marrotta (one of the best cut men in the game, RIP). Paterson's got a lot of fighting history.

That is who I want to win too!!

He seems like a nice guy but is also a great fighter.

He is not cocky like some of the others.

exactly....jesse isnt tough enough....SNAKE..is too much of a show off to me at least...and peter has a really good chance too but dont think he'll do it though

Jesse needs to keep his weight under control. Having to lose that much on the day of the fight and not eating the day before is not good.

i never knew you could lose 8 lbs in 1 day ...

did you see the sweat pouring out of his suit...lol

i never knew you could lose 8 lbs in 1 day ...

did you see the sweat pouring out of his suit...lol

I don't know much about fighters losing weight but with wrestlers it is common. Because you wrestle every few days it is easy to miss your weight.

When I was a teenager I once lost 7.5 pounds in about 5 hours. I proceed to get my head handed to me that night though!

I don't know much about fighters losing weight but with wrestlers it is common. Because you wrestle every few days it is easy to miss your weight.

When I was a teenager I once lost 7.5 pounds in about 5 hours. I proceed to get my head handed to me that night though!

better to recieve head than give it :lol: you had to see that one comin max

Archived