Goodbye Yankee Stadium

Maxman

I have to agree with aec4, I thought ESPN did a very good job. Morgan was complimentary towards Reggie and bringing Michael Kay in for an inning was a nice tough. Letting Yogi and Whitey do their thing was awesome as well.

I was happy with the broadcast. And then I switched over to YES for the extended post game. Good job all around in my opinion.

I can't comment on the whole broadcast, but I did see a bunch of it, I guess I just don't like Joe Morgan doing games , I have a real hard time watching any game he broadcasts. All in all it is tough seeing the stadium closing.......hope the new one starts off where the old left off

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
(I know, this isn't NFL related -- but the Yankees are bigger than life).

So who watched the last game tonight? It wasn't the best season but tonight was an amazing farewell to an incredible stadium. 4 million plus for four years in a row. None of the fans want to leave tonight and the players don't seem to be in a rush either.

The new stadium is going to be state of the art. It will have some pretty big shoes to fill. The memories that exist because of this stadium won't be easy to top.

It was great to see all the former Yankees before the game. Still can't believe that is the last game that will be played in that stadium. I sat in Box 63 in the 90's before the ticket prices got to be too much for me. Every weekend they were home, just sitting there with the NY Daily News two hours before game time. That is what I remember most. The Yankees weren't winning then but it didn't matter. My wife (then girlfriend) would go with me and pretend like she cared about baseball.

1996 will forever stand out for me as the single greatest year ever. '78 was great, '98 they were unbeatable. I was in the stands for game one of the Subway Series against the Mets. But 1996 -- that one came from nowhere and started the dynasty.

Yankees, thanks for the memories. I took my 5 year old son to his first and only game at the stadium recently. It was one of the best days of my life. We watched the Yankees (lose) but it didn't matter. We had lower level seats but in the 5th inning we got up and walked the stadium. Lower, loge and upper deck. Colin just ran up and down the ramps as the game was being played. Missed an inning or two of the game but he was having fun just checking things out. Really was a great day, one that I will cherish forever.

I am so thankful that I was able to get tickets and get him there. The regret I would feel right now had that not happened wouldn't be good.

Another great moment was last season. Tabor got tickets and invited me. Smizzy was kind enough to give the extra ticket to my oldest son. Even better Smizzy guilted some guy into giving him a ball that came into the stands. Shane was 12 last year when he got that ball and I know it will forver be his greatest memory. Thank you for that.

What is your favorite Yankee Stadium memory?

when I was in HS back in the early 70's I wanted to be a sports cartoonist, and I used to help out the Yankees photographer, a guy named Mike Grossbardt. He took all the yearbook photos and did the Topps action cards from 70-71-72. I got to go in the dugout and talk to Murcer and actually got to go in side the locker room and give some of my art work to, caricatures of the players-Jim Ray Hart, Felipe Alou, Ron Swoboda. They were slow days in Yankees land and you were able to go on exploration trips all over the stadium

when I was in HS back in the early 70's I wanted to be a sports cartoonist, and I used to help out the Yankees photographer, a guy named Mike Grossbardt. He took all the yearbook photos and did the Topps action cards from 70-71-72. I got to go in the dugout and talk to Murcer and actually got to go in side the locker room and give some of my art work to, caricatures of the players-Jim Ray Hart, Felipe Alou, Ron Swoboda. They were slow days in Yankees land and you were able to go on exploration trips all over the stadium

Holy cow! How cool is THAT!?

It's kind of funny looking back.

When Yankee Stadium closed for the first time back in 1973 the stadium wasn't even full for the Yankee finale against the Tigers. 32,000 and people were walking out with seats and whatever they could grab.

Not alot of hooplah no ESPN with their 9 hour tributes just a quiet 8-5 loss to the Tigers.

A few weeks later the Giants would play the last game at the Stadium hosting the Eagles in a game that I believe ended in a tie.

We won't miss it though. There are enough tapes and DVD's out there now that it won't fall into like the old 1923-1973 Stadium did with very little if any tape of either Yankee or Giants games.

Those names bring a little tear my eye. Awesome

it was a little unsettling seeing some of your heroes naked though

hahah tell me about.. my dad has work with the Yankees since 1984 and i was partically raised in the club house seeing 30 guys naked is never a good site especially some of the older guys like Yogi, Moose, or Hank Bauer yikes hahah but i have nothing but Respect and Love for those guys its just a scary site.. :P

Those names bring a little tear my eye. Awesome

Ronny Swoboda was the nicest dude you'd ever want to meet Shawn-I drew a caricature of him and he LOVED it. I met Felipe Alou on Lake Worth beach a few years ago when he was managing a Montreal minor league team

one of my favorite memory was going to a game with a bunch of people i didnt know..... and there was this guy in a really tight tee shirt... rumor was he was a little slow.. anyway.. it was fun.. but i was surprised to find out there was a seating chart.. though i never saw it.. legend has it that that chart is hanging in den in upstate NY. :D

but REALLY...

my best memory was my first trip to yankees stadium in the late 90's.. i took my dad for father's day... he is a lifelong yankees fan... and we just sat in the seats i had behind home plate and he told me stories of how he use to ditch school with his friends and get 50

one of my favorite memory was going to a game with a bunch of people i didnt know..... and there was this guy in a really tight tee shirt... rumor was he was a little slow.. anyway.. it was fun.. but i was surprised to find out there was a seating chart.. though i never saw it.. legend has it that that chart is hanging in den in upstate NY. :D

but REALLY...

my best memory was my first trip to yankees stadium in the late 90's.. i took my dad for father's day... he is a lifelong yankees fan... and we just sat in the seats i had behind home plate and he told me stories of how he use to ditch school with his friends and get 50

this Yankee Stadium will always hold a place in my heart. Most of my family are Mets fans and despise the Yankees. I on the other hand am not a huge baseball fan like I once was but I have gone to dozens of Yankees games over the years. It`s just an easier venue to get to than Shea from where I live and it is by far much better than Shea can ever dream of being. Both venues had their persona. There is just so much more nostalgia with Yankee Stadium. Plus you were able to drink/tailgate without having to worry about a mandatory court appearance and a $185.00 fine. :)

I will miss the old house that is for sure. I have some great memories going there with my wife and 2 daughters. They all enjoyed Yankee Stadium and Arthur Ave. afterwards.

Regardless of the crappy season this year, we are looking forward to the new stadium. It will still be in the same place, have better amenities to enjoy while there and Arthur Ave. will always be where it is.

I'll miss the stadium, driving by it and riding by it every day will just always keep it in my mind. I'm so glad I got to a game this year, it's just too handy and nearby for me not too.

But I'm looking forward to the new stadium. It looks awesome in person, the old school exterior with that golden sign and then the beauty indoors. I'll miss my cheap bleacher tickets though...

****ing bull**** how there just tearing the old one down. 26 championship teams in that building and they tear it down? at least let it stand.

Money talks...

That's the only reason for the new stadium. More club seats=more money for Steinbrenner and Co. Knocking that stadium down and getting something else there gets Steinbrenner more money than dead space. I honestly don't mind it too much. It's business.

(I know, this isn't NFL related -- but the Yankees are bigger than life).

So who watched the last game tonight? It wasn't the best season but tonight was an amazing farewell to an incredible stadium. 4 million plus for four years in a row. None of the fans want to leave tonight and the players don't seem to be in a rush either.

The new stadium is going to be state of the art. It will have some pretty big shoes to fill. The memories that exist because of this stadium won't be easy to top.

It was great to see all the former Yankees before the game. Still can't believe that is the last game that will be played in that stadium. I sat in Box 63 in the 90's before the ticket prices got to be too much for me. Every weekend they were home, just sitting there with the NY Daily News two hours before game time. That is what I remember most. The Yankees weren't winning then but it didn't matter. My wife (then girlfriend) would go with me and pretend like she cared about baseball.

1996 will forever stand out for me as the single greatest year ever. '78 was great, '98 they were unbeatable. I was in the stands for game one of the Subway Series against the Mets. But 1996 -- that one came from nowhere and started the dynasty.

Yankees, thanks for the memories. I took my 5 year old son to his first and only game at the stadium recently. It was one of the best days of my life. We watched the Yankees (lose) but it didn't matter. We had lower level seats but in the 5th inning we got up and walked the stadium. Lower, loge and upper deck. Colin just ran up and down the ramps as the game was being played. Missed an inning or two of the game but he was having fun just checking things out. Really was a great day, one that I will cherish forever.

I am so thankful that I was able to get tickets and get him there. The regret I would feel right now had that not happened wouldn't be good.

Another great moment was last season. Tabor got tickets and invited me. Smizzy was kind enough to give the extra ticket to my oldest son. Even better Smizzy guilted some guy into giving him a ball that came into the stands. Shane was 12 last year when he got that ball and I know it will forver be his greatest memory. Thank you for that.

What is your favorite Yankee Stadium memory?

When are you going to tell everyone that you're really a Red Sox fan?

Some of the best luck I've ever had in my life resulted in me getting to go to the final game last night.

I just happened to be in the US over from the UK for some training at the moment.

It's an 18 day course and we only get two days off...just by chance I was off yesterday and didn't have to work until late today.

I stayed in touch with an old friend from HS who now works at the stadium and snuck me in free of charge.

A night I'll never forget.

Archived