Goodbye Yankee Stadium

Maxman

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a couple memories

1. back in '84 or '85, didn't go to school and me and a few friends went to an afternoon game. This was before I had my license, not even sure I had a permit at the time (don't tel my Mom, I took her Caddy) Scalp tickets in left field 3rd or 4th row. I have my mit with me.....game against the brewers and Ricky leads off with a Jack....ball comes right to me, and I snag it no problem.....1st ball ever caught in a game....6th or 7th inning a guy from the Brewers jacks one over my head....I throw my glove up there, and look over my shoulder at my friend thinking he had it....it's in my glove.....2 in one game!!!

2.. My dad did business with EAB Bank. 2nd row over the dugout tickets for the season when I was just a kid. Thurman was my favorite Yankee (as he was to so many fans) He throws me his glove before a game. Still have it.

I'm sorry you went to Northeastern. Shouldn't graduation be in Matthews Arena?

Either way, the old Boston Garden had as much history as Yankee Stadium. No one outside of New England gave a crap when the Garden was demolished, so why should anyone give a crap about the ****hole that is Yankee Stadium?

What a friggin troll.

I know it's all about the money these days

But that still is a pretty nice stadium...sorry to see it go

Wonder if Stans Bar across the street will move closer to the new stadium......those buildings down there I'm sure are all rented now

Saw some of the local vendors get interviewed. Sounds like none of them are going to move. Not sure how\where they could really move to.

They said they think they will lose some $$ on game day because the new stadium offers so much more. But they think they will make more money on non game days because the new stadium will be open at times when there is no game.

Plus Stan's has a capacity in the hundreds I believe so he should be fine.

You ever go to that place next door that has a bowling alley? Got to a playoff game in '95 at like 3pm. We went in there and saw people bowling. I was like wtf -- never knew that was there.

Been to YS many times. I always had a good time, with good-natured ribbing from most fans.

One game that sticks out for me must have been in the early 90's vs. the Sox. Sox were winning in the bottom of the 9th with two out. A Yankee hits a pop up and while the ball in is play, a fan runs onto the field. The umps blew the play dead, and instead of losing the game, the Yanks come back to win.

Not a very fun day.

Been to YS many times. I always had a good time, with good-natured ribbing from most fans.

One game that sticks out for me must have been in the early 90's vs. the Sox. Sox were winning in the bottom of the 9th with two out. A Yankee hits a pop up and while the ball in is play, a fan runs onto the field. The umps blew the play dead, and instead of losing the game, the Yanks come back to win.

Not a very fun day.

Some people will do anything to see their team win... lol

Not a very fun day.

I remember that game. That was crazy.

Why do I think Mike Stanley was at bat when that happened?

RIP Yankee Stadium. The new one will never live up to what I grew up going to and watching. I hate the new corporate outlook on sports, but hey, what can we as fans do. Nice to see the legends showed up. Joe and Donnie should've been there. Thats a disgrace. I don't know who's call it was, but there needs to be some info dug up on that. May the new place inspire half the memories the old place did. It's a sad day for baseball and sports.

Another great moment was last season. Tabor got tickets and invited me. Smizzy was kind enough to give the extra ticket to my oldest son. Even better Smizzy guilted some guy into giving him a ball that came into the stands. Shane was 12 last year when he got that ball and I know it will forver be his greatest memory. Thank you for that.

What is your favorite Yankee Stadium memory?

The best part was as each inning passed the guy got more and more pissed off he gave up the ball.

Not many good memories. Every game I went to, they lost.

The last time in 2000, they got hammered 12-1 by the Indians. We got back, and no sooner was in the door than someone said "You didn't seem to enjoy yourself". Didn't know what they meant til it was pointed out that when the Indians hit a grand slam into the upper deck, 2 rows in front of us, the camera had zoomed in, and well, you didn't need to be a lip reader to see what I was shouting. Of course, they had to show the HR on the news as well.....

I immigrated to the States in 94. I found baseball as my first love in 95. I think y'all can remember the pain of watching the Yankees go down in flames after leading the WC 2-0....

I never forgave ARod or Randy for those times. Tino was different, he was amazing.

You're right Max, there's something special about that 96 season...just watching Strawberry come back and hit that walk off against the Royals...then watching Cecil Fielder come in 2/3rds into the season...amazing memories. I still remember the one game where Fielder hit a legit double and was almost thrown out at second...

That year was special too because the Yankees didn't have long ball power. Suicide squeezes, double steals were the name of the game.

I still remember when my Mom came home and told me that she operated on some Yankee player named "Cone or something"(she's a nurse at Columbia Pres), and I freaked out.

I could remember all the Yankee stats from that year. Watching Jeter was amazing too.

Then finally that post season. I was hospitalized right at the end of September before the playoffs started, but I still remember having my mom buy me the Post, Daily News, Times etc all so I could read every column about the Yankees I could find. Much of them centered about how Joe Torre's brother was going to undergo bypass and Joe was worried, but you know when you're a Yank the boss takes care of you...so he was going to get the care he needed.

I'm not going to say it was a sad night but there were alot of fun times in that ballpark.

I guess for me it comes down to these.

1) Game 6 1996 World Series. My best friend calls and to tell me he tickets to games 1,2,6,7 and wants me to go to game 1. I tell him no because we had a birthday party planned for my Mom that night but I'll go to game 6 if it gets that far. Best decision I ever made.

The best part was that we sat basically where we had sat for the past 10 years.(RF Bleachers section39) and got to celebrate with alot of the folks that we had sat with since 86 and saw alot of lousy baseball with.

2) September 1988:Yanks are battling for first place against the Tigers. 1:00pm game so I bring a small watchman so while the Yankee games is going on we can watch the Giants and the 49'ers and if the Game is still going the Jets and the Browns. Well not only did we watch the entire Giants game but the Jets game as well. The game went 16 innings when Claudell Washington hits a game winning homer of Mike Henneman to give the Yanks the win and a share of first place. Of course that didn't last cause the following week the Yanks went to Fenway and got their lunch handed to them.

3) 1991 or 1992: Don't exactly remember the year but the the Yanks came from way back down against the Red Sox and Mel Hall hit a game winning HR of Jeff Reardon to beat the Sox.

A few other real quick

1991 Seeing the Jets and Bills at the Medowlands then driving up Bronx for a Yankee Red Sox game.

1997 Opening Day and seeing that championship flag raised.

We had alot fun out there for those 10 to 12 years. Probably went to about 20-25 games a year those years basically sitting out in those RF Bleachers.

The best part was as each inning passed the guy got more and more pissed off he gave up the ball.

The guy gets a ball. He is loving it for about 2 seconds. Then you scream, GIVE THE KID THE BALL. Without hesitation he turns around and flips it.

But you are right, you could see him talking about it later. I should have hung on to that ball. He was second guessing himself. But he made a kids day. By far that is his fondest moment of the stadium, so that is pretty cool.

Thanks for doing that for him Smizzy.

My top Yankee stadium moments:

3. Jay Buhner HR into the top of the black seats.

2. Ken Phelps hitting a foul ball that glanced off my hand but still got it.

1. July 1, 2004. Jeter Dive. The whole game was amazing. Yankee fans and Sawx fans going at it in a friendly rivalry sort of way. The most fun I've ever had at a ball game... it was a playoff atmosphere...

Other than that, the stadium wasnt very nice.... the seating setup sucked... nobody knew where their seats were, no ushers around to help out, concessions sucked, ramps to everywhere and nowhere. I wont miss the stadium... its time for it to go.

Not a very fun day.

Ha, I went to high school with that kid.

I didn't like the fact the ESPN the boston homer network did the game. Joe Morgan is just aweful, very hard to watch with him doing the game. And peter gammons doing interviews is crap ...the dude is a big time red sox homer....works for the boston globe I think.

I didn't like the fact the ESPN the boston homer network did the game. Joe Morgan is just aweful, very hard to watch with him doing the game. And peter gammons doing interviews is crap ...the dude is a big time red sox homer....works for the boston globe I think.

I can see what you mean about Gammons since he writes for a Boston paper. However, ESPN is hardly the Boston Redsox Homer Network.

I can see what you mean about Gammons since he writes for a Boston paper. However, ESPN is hardly the Boston Redsox Homer Network.

I have to agree with aec4, I thought ESPN did a very good job. Morgan was complimentary towards Reggie and bringing Michael Kay in for an inning was a nice tough. Letting Yogi and Whitey do their thing was awesome as well.

I was happy with the broadcast. And then I switched over to YES for the extended post game. Good job all around in my opinion.

You ever go to that place next door that has a bowling alley? Got to a playoff game in '95 at like 3pm. We went in there and saw people bowling. I was like wtf -- never knew that was there.

Funny you bring that up

I flew into NY, and had my bags with me at the stadium....obviously couldn't bring them in, and followed signs for a place to drop off bags....led me right in there

Wow, what a crew in there bowling on gamedays:p

Not a very fun day.

That's the spirit, Thor. Rival fans can have class, you know. ;)

I've been to Yankees Stadium and thought the place was very, very cool. Certainly don't have the ties to it that a die-hard NY fan does - but how can you ignore the historical significance of this venue?

I still remember when my Mom came home and told me that she operated on some Yankee player named "Cone or something"(she's a nurse at Columbia Pres), and I freaked out.

Jeez, they let the nurses do surgery there? I guess Coney had a pretty crappy HMO. :cheers:

I've been to so many games over the years, the one that'll never leave me was the Pine Tar Game, about 12 rows behind the Yanks dugout with my Dad, I really didn't understand the rule at the time but I'll never forget Georgie coming steaming out of the dugout when they called him out.

I managed to make it one last time at the end o' July to watch them get spanked by the Halos, but when I'd get bummed about the score I would just look up at the facade, take a deep breath & just enjoy being in one of my favorite places on earth... RIP to "The Stadium"

Funny you bring that up

I flew into NY, and had my bags with me at the stadium....obviously couldn't bring them in, and followed signs for a place to drop off bags....led me right in there

Wow, what a crew in there bowling on gamedays:p

:rl:

It is like a whole little world in there. People aren't bowling before the Yankee game to kill time. They are bowling because they live there. The Yankee game is actually in their way it seems. Pretty funny.

Archived