ANDY is the winningest pitcher in MLB post season history

Blackout

Doesnt matter how many games you start if you dont win buddy boy!!!! DUHHHHHH

When you start a thread that insinuates someone has been an all-time great starting pitcher in the postseason, it matters...

I suppose that Shane Spencer having more career hits in the postseason than Ted Williams means something too...

Doesnt matter how many games you start if you dont win buddy boy!!!! DUHHHHHH

I do not know who has started the most (my guess is it might be Pettitte), but wouldn't it stand to reason if you start a lot of games, you will be high in number of wins?

A more interesting stat to me would be, who has the best lifetime percentage in postseason, minimum 15 starts.

THAT is more telling

I do not know who has started the most (my guess is it might be Pettitte), but wouldn't it stand to reason if you start a lot of games, you will be high in number of wins?

A more interesting stat to me would be, who has the best lifetime percentage in postseason, minimum 15 starts.

THAT is more telling

Curt Schilling. LOL.

Schilling

19 GS, 133.1 IP, 11-2, .846 PCT, 2.23 ERA, 0.968 WHIP, 120 K (8.1 K/9), 25 BB

Pettitte

38 GS, 237.1 IP, 16-9, .640 PCT, 3.83 ERA, 1.327 WHIP, 154 K (5.8 K/9), 68 BB

When you start a thread that insinuates someone has been an all-time great starting pitcher in the postseason, it matters...

I suppose that Shane Spencer having more career hits in the postseason than Ted Williams means something too...

Well you do have to take into consideration when talking about the Old time greats that they didnt have Playoffs they just won the pentant and went straight to the Series.. so they didnt get to play as many games as they do now.. its like the stat that says Jorge has started more "post season" games then Yogi Berra but Yogi has 10 rings. we just cant compare baseball from back then to now because its all completely different.. baseball is all about numbers now before it was about showing up to play and winning..

Well you do have to take into consideration when talking about the Old time greats that they didnt have Playoffs they just won the pentant and went straight to the Series.. so they didnt get to play as many games as they do now.. its like the stat that says Jorge has started more "post season" games then Yogi Berra but Yogi has 10 rings. we just cant compare baseball from back then to now because its all completely different.. baseball is all about numbers now before it was about showing up to play and winning..

And there you have it.

All these post season stats that are getting broken, are completely watered down, due to the fact that there are so many more games than there ever have been.

Congrats to Andy for being on a good team that is involved in so many games, but the records do need to be kept in context.

Imagine what Whitey Ford could have done with all the extra games.

:rolleyes:

Cy Young won 511 career games but that's only because he started 815 of them. Let's change the name of the pitching award named after him.

Jack Chesbro won 41 games, but it took him 51 starts. That record shouldn't count.

There is some lunacy around here. Seriously.

I guess you missed the premise (or simply ignored it) that spoke to win percentage being more telling.

And there you have it.

All these post season stats that are getting broken, are completely watered down, due to the fact that there are so many more games than there ever have been.

Congrats to Andy for being on a good team that is involved in so many games, but the records do need to be kept in context.

Imagine what Whitey Ford could have done with all the extra games.

Whitey Ford Bob Turley Don Larson all those guys would of been un stopable in the post season

I guess you missed the premise (or simply ignored it) that spoke to win percentage being more telling.

No, the actual premise is that the OP is excited and proud for his guy for his accomplishment. And some choose to instead try to minimize it under whatever motivation.

It doesn't matter what era. It doesn't matter how many starts. It is what it is. Andy shouldn't be ashamed of what he's done simply because he is in "better" circumstances than many guys before him. It's a record. These are the conditions the game is played in today. And he can be proud of it and so can his fans.

It's the same silly argument over Maris' 61 in '61. He played in more games than Ruth, but the record stood. Doesn't matter that Ruth had a higher home run percentage. Total wins is the measuring stick used here, as home runs was in that case. If you want to start a thread about winning percentage, no one is stopping you. Feel free. But this one is about total playoff wins. And when it comes to that, no one can top Andy Pettitte.

Yes, and your post was a prime example of it.

Simple question for you - does Andy Pettitte having the most career wins in the playoffs make him a top-3 SP in postseason history?

When was that claim made? The thread was started to celebrate the fact that Andy Pettitte has the most wins in playoff history. I don't care how or why. It is a fact and it is indisputable. That is all.

Way to go Andy!

No, the actual premise is that the OP is excited and proud for his guy for his accomplishment. And some choose to instead try to minimize it under whatever motivation.

It doesn't matter what era. It doesn't matter how many starts. It is what it is. Andy shouldn't be ashamed of what he's done simply because he is in "better" circumstances than many guys before him. It's a record. These are the conditions the game is played in today. And he can be proud of it and so can his fans.

It's the same silly argument over Maris' 61 in '61. He played in more games than Ruth, but the record stood. Doesn't matter that Ruth had a higher home run percentage. Total wins is the measuring stick used here, as home runs was in that case. If you want to start a thread about winning percentage, no one is stopping you. Feel free. But this one is about total playoff wins. And when it comes to that, no one can top Andy Pettitte.

You are a little bit strange how you read into things.

No one is attempting to "shame" the record. More so, put it in context.

Guido, would you characterize Pettite's performances as top 5 all time in MLB postseason history?

Honestly, start ANOTHER thread to point out his winning percentage is not up to snuff within context of most wins? Are you serious with that stuff? Sounds a little temperamental.

When was that claim made? The thread was started to celebrate the fact that Andy Pettitte has the most wins in playoff history. I don't care how or why. It is a fact and it is indisputable. That is all.

Way to go Andy!

By not answering my question, I take it that you do not believe that Pettitte is a top-3 postseason SP.

Should I go start a thread about how Derek Jeter has stuck out more times in the postseason than any other hitter? After all, it's an indisputable fact.

Guido, would you characterize Pettite's performances as top 5 all time in MLB postseason history?

Honestly, start ANOTHER thread to point out his winning percentage is not up to snuff within context of most wins? Are you serious with that stuff? Sounds a little temperamental.

honestly......3.83 era and a 1.327 whip isn't very impressive, imo. both smoltz and schilling have him beat, imo.

I don't need a new thread. I'm here to discuss this thread, titled "Andy is the winningest pitcher in MLB post season history" which is an indisputable fact. No context needed. Good job Andy. Your fans are proud of you.

Proud of you when you delivered one of the most clutch performances of all time in Game 5 of the 1996 World Series. Proud of you in Game 4 of the 98 WS, Game 4 of the 99 ALCS, Game 5 of the 2000 WS, Game 2 of the 2003 WS and now Game 6 of the 09 ALCS among some others. Those were all great and memorable performances. You had some ups and downs, but you deserve kudos for your history in the playoffs.

I don't need a new thread. I'm here to discuss this thread, titled "Andy is the winningest pitcher in MLB post season history" which is an indisputable fact. No context needed. Good job Andy. Your fans are proud of you.

Proud of you when you delivered one of the most clutch performances of all time in Game 5 of the 1996 World Series. Proud of you in Game 4 of the 98 WS, Game 4 of the 99 ALCS, Game 5 of the 2000 WS, Game 2 of the 2003 WS and now Game 6 of the 09 ALCS among some others. Those were all great and memorable performances. You had some ups and downs, but you deserve kudos for your history in the playoffs.

You know what would make a nice thread? "Andy has the most postseason starts (7) in which he has allowed 5 or more earned runs".

Agreed, he has done a great job of being on successful organizations and having a long career.

We were "discussing this", until you came along and brought your own pride into this. Pride leads to hurt feelings, we understand. All we were doing was putting the record in context.

And part of the reason for those organizations' success and the length of his career are due to the fact that Andy Pettitte is and has been an outstanding pitcher.

ABSOLUTELY!

That he has had more opportunity than any other pitcher to win more games in the PS, is a credit to him and the clubs he has been on, as well the rules that have changed in the game.

Most of the current PS records are extremely watered down.

mets fans are angry right now. just leave them alone.

Who do they root for in the Series

I know they're supposed to hate the Yanks, but do they really want to root for the team that has kicked the sh1t out of them for the last few years

Tough call

Who do they root for in the Series

I know they're supposed to hate the Yanks, but do they really want to root for the team that has kicked the sh1t out of them for the last few years

Tough call

i want to see the yankees lose, personally. but i'm not really rooting because i'd rathe rnot see either team win the series. but in the end most yankees fans are just too arrogant and obnoxious to want to see them get another championship.

Archived