Plaxico Burress Sport Science

CapeCoralJetFan

Thanks for posting and for anyone who thought Sanchez didnt favor Holmes and why there was any question Holmes was choose over Braylon, just watch this.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6878281

I'm not reaching the same conclusions as you from this video----at all.

They went from 27th to 11th in passing attempts for a few reasons: because they now had 2 serious threats at wideout on the field, rather than just 1. In other words, it probably would have happened the other way around---if Braylon was joining the team. In the first four games: the Ravens shut the offense down, so they just had no shot. They ran all over the Bills, so they didn't even bother passing.

All 27th to 11th says to me is that Holmes was an upgrade over Cotchery (duh) and Schotty wanted to pass the ball more.

For a 12 game season, Holmes sure had a lot of drops and fumbles. He's always been good, but rarely great. His best year was 1,248/5 TD... never come close since that! Not so impressive.

I'm not reaching the same conclusions as you from this video----at all.

They went from 27th to 11th in passing attempts for a few reasons: because they now had 2 serious threats at wideout on the field, rather than just 1. In other words, it probably would have happened the other way around---if Braylon was joining the team. In the first four games: the Ravens shut the offense down, so they just had no shot. They ran all over the Bills, so they didn't even bother passing.

All 27th to 11th says to me is that Holmes was an upgrade over Cotchery (duh) and Schotty wanted to pass the ball more.

For a 12 game season, Holmes sure had a lot of drops and fumbles. He's always been good, but rarely great. His best year was 1,248/5 TD... never come close since that! Not so impressive.

Huh? Did you miss that part when they said he had more targets than Calvin Johnson and more yards than Hakeem Nicks. Sanchez clearly favored him and the offense changed because of him. Thats the point.

A good vid but not sure how it translates to concerns about Plax. We all know Plax's enormous talent, his leap, his end zone heroics and things like that. Which are all very great.

Biggest question is can he stay on the field for 16 games plus playoffs after coming back to the NFL after 2 seasons at age 34 ? The video does not answer any of those concerns.

A good vid but not sure how it translates to concerns about Plax. We all know Plax's enormous talent, his leap, his end zone heroics and things like that. Which are all very great.

Biggest question is can he stay on the field for 16 games plus playoffs after coming back to the NFL after 2 seasons at age 34 ? The video does not answer any of those concerns.

But the same could be said about Braylon, Cotch, or any player in the league! Football is a game where injuries happen all the time, regardless of age. If anything, the fact that he's been in jail for the past 2 years could bode well for him injury wise, because he has less wear and tear on his body than most football players his age... So, saying Plax is a question mark for the mere fact that he could get injured at some point this season and miss a few games isn't really all that fair, because everyone would be a question mark for the same reason...

But the same could be said about Braylon, Cotch, or any player in the league! Football is a game where injuries happen all the time, regardless of age. If anything, the fact that he's been in jail for the past 2 years could bode well for him injury wise, because he has less wear and tear on his body than most football players his age... So, saying Plax is a question mark for the mere fact that he could get injured at some point this season and miss a few games isn't really all that fair, because everyone would be a question mark for the same reason...

True anyone can injured.

But the susceptibility to getting injured increases exponentially with age and specially when you been away from the game for 2 seasons.

True anyone can injured.

But the susceptibility to getting injured increases exponentially with age and specially when you been away from the game for 2 seasons.

Not necessarily. If he is still in great shape (which this vid PROVES he is) then I think being away for 2 seasons is actually beneficial, as it means his body has taken less of a beating than most guys his age. Also, Plax's injury history prior to being jailed is pretty limited, he was overall a pretty healthy guy that never had any major injuries. I don't think the injury risk is particularly greater with Plax than any other receiver thats been in the league for awhile. In fact, Im willing to bet that there are a lot of younger receivers in the league that are in worse shape than Plax right now due to the lockout.

So I think the upside is huge with Plax this year compared to the downside. Guy can do it all. Combined with a healthy Holmes, Mason, LT and Keller the passing game has the potential to be scary good this year.

True anyone can injured.

Age is just a number. The main thing is what kind of "football" shape is the individual in, what are his work habits? Derrick Mason is 37. How old was Jerry Rice when he hung it up? It's all up to the individual & ONLY time will tell.

Not necessarily. If he is still in great shape (which this vid PROVES he is) then I think being away for 2 seasons is actually beneficial, as it means his body has taken less of a beating than most guys his age. Also, Plax's injury history prior to being jailed is pretty limited, he was overall a pretty healthy guy that never had any major injuries. I don't think the injury risk is particularly greater with Plax than any other receiver thats been in the league for awhile. In fact, Im willing to bet that there are a lot of younger receivers in the league that are in worse shape than Plax right now due to the lockout.

So I think the upside is huge with Plax this year compared to the downside. Guy can do it all. Combined with a healthy Holmes, Mason, LT and Keller the passing game has the potential to be scary good this year.

I do not want this turning into a pi$$ing match again.

So I will make my point and leave it at that.

I have concerns about 34 yr old returning to a football field after 2 seasons plus and his ability to last 16 regular season games and playoffs.

I hope i am proved wrong and will be glad as a result of it. He made a one super play for that TD. I hope he keeps doing that all season

long.

Nice talking to you on this subject. Thanks for engaging me. Good night.

I agree.

Sucks that he had to go to prison for being an idiot and all, but it looks like he spent that time keeping himself in absolutely peak condition. He comes back to the NFL strong, healthy, and with a giant chip on his shoulder. It's all good for the Jets. I think the biggest dropoff with age is speed, but Plax looks like he's still got plenty of quickness, and he's always going to have size.

I could see some of that $7M in cap space they have this year going towards a Plaxico extension before the season's over.

Archived