Wilfat "doesn't want to be a distraction"

Jetsfan80

http://www.chron.com/sports/article/Wilfork-doesn-t-want-to-be-distraction-to-Patriots-2135930.php

Wilfork doesn't want to be distraction to Patriots

HOWARD ULMAN, AP Sports Writer

Published 02:00 p.m., Monday, August 22, 2011

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP) — Vince Wilfork says he doesn't want to be a distraction to his Patriots teammates after a report that he was paid $50,000 while at the University of Miami.

The New England nose tackle said in the team's locker room Monday that the week since the Yahoo! Sports report was posted last Tuesday had been tough. But he says he has moved forward and is focused on his career.

He also referred to a statement he released on Twitter last week in which he said it was not appropriate for him to comment while the NCAA and Miami conducted their investigations.

The Yahoo! Sports report said booster Nevin Shapiro paid Wilfork $50,000 as a recruiting tool to sign with a sports agency that Shapiro said he co-owned.

http://www.chron.com/sports/article/Wilfork-doesn-t-want-to-be-distraction-to-Patriots-2135930.php

Wilfork doesn't want to be distraction to Patriots

HOWARD ULMAN, AP Sports Writer

Published 02:00 p.m., Monday, August 22, 2011

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP) — Vince Wilfork says he doesn't want to be a distraction to his Patriots teammates after a report that he was paid $50,000 while at the University of Miami.

The New England nose tackle said in the team's locker room Monday that the week since the Yahoo! Sports report was posted last Tuesday had been tough. But he says he has moved forward and is focused on his career.

He also referred to a statement he released on Twitter last week in which he said it was not appropriate for him to comment while the NCAA and Miami conducted their investigations.

The Yahoo! Sports report said booster Nevin Shapiro paid Wilfork $50,000 as a recruiting tool to sign with a sports agency that Shapiro said he co-owned.

I think the only way for Wilfat to avoid this is to retire. Like right now. Today. Otherwise there will be a black cloud over that team all year. Really Vince, it would be for the best.

I don't understand what the big deal is here. Don't all major football programs pay their athletes one way or another? It's just that some are better at it than others? Some don't have snitches with an agenda? It's silly. Find me a kid that would say "no" to 50K, usage of a Yaht, new cars, etc., and I'll find you the one kid that abides by the BYU honor code.

I don't understand what the big deal is here. Don't all major football programs pay their athletes one way or another? It's just that some are better at it than others? Some don't have snitches with an agenda? It's silly. Find me a kid that would say "no" to 50K, usage of a Yaht, new cars, etc., and I'll find you the one kid that abides by the BYU honor code.

very similar to filming opponents signals. some are just better at it than others...........Hi Garb ;)

very similar to filming opponents signals. some are just better at it than others...........Hi Garb ;)

This would be correct. All teams film....some just do it within the rules....like placing the camera where the league says you can.

Hey there, Joewilly! What's happening?! :D

The big deal is the guy that paid wilfork is snitching on him.

I admit I'm not a huge college football (or college sports in general) fan, but isn't this basically par for the course at the vast majority of major programs?

My reaction to the post here was because we apparently have an entire AP article whose contents are a glorified "no comment."

I admit I'm not a huge college football (or college sports in general) fan, but isn't this basically par for the course at the vast majority of major programs?

My reaction to the post here was because we apparently have an entire AP article whose contents are a glorified "no comment."

No, it really isn't. They are not throwing parties on yachts with hookers for players at most colleges.

I don't know, part of me is thinking that the ONLY reason we hear about this now is because the guy got caught for a ponzi scheme and decided to screw all his old "friends." If he didn't get caught, or didn't decide to burn bridges, we would've thought "no one is throwing parties on yachts with hookers for players at U of M."

Archived