Greg McElroy Has Surgery; Placed on IR

JetNation

The New York Jets selected QB Greg McElroy in the 7th round of the 2011 NFL Draft with hopes of him becoming their long-term # 2 quarterback.  McElroy did not disappoint and had a very good camp.  He saw a lot of playing time in the preseason because backup QB Mark Brunell has been hurt.  As a result, McElroy took a pounding this preseason behind the Jets 2nd and 3rd string offensive line.

Last night, McElroy was injured although it wasn’t the result of a sack, his throwing hand hit Matt Kroul’s helmet.  This resulted in a thumb injury and according to ESPN NY, McElroy had surgery this morning to correct it.

The timeline for his return is unknown but he isn’t expected to be placed on the injured reserve list.  This leaves the Jets without a 3rd string QB.  They could keep Drew Willy who played extensively last night but other than a cool name, he doesn’t offer the Jets that much.  Look for them to make a move to bring in a veteran backup.

Greg McElroy tweeted this a few minutes ago:

Thanks to everyone for positive thoughts and prayers. They will uplift me throughout this process! Just a temporary bump in the road!

di</img>di</img>

8bs88DPwamI

View the full article

The timeline for his return is unknown but he isn’t expected to be placed on the injured reserve list. This leaves the Jets without a 3rd string QB. They could keep Drew Willy who played extensively last night but other than a cool name, he doesn’t offer the Jets that much. Look for them to make a move to bring in a veteran backup.

Drew Willy week one, veteran the following week (when his salary won't be guaranteed for the season). That's my guess.

Drew Willy week one, veteran the following week (when his salary won't be guaranteed for the season). That's my guess.

That is a pretty good guess actually. I could see them bringing in Kellen Clemens if he is waived.

That is a pretty good guess actually. I could see them bringing in Kellen Clemens if he is waived.

I thought of Clemens, too, but would he want to come back? I realize a job's a job and all, but he's been dicked around by the Jets enough at this point, hasn't he?

Another classic talent out there is Brett Ratliff. :D

I thought of Clemens, too, but would he want to come back? I realize a job's a job and all, but he's been dicked around by the Jets enough at this point, hasn't he?

Another classic talent out there is Brett Ratliff. :biggrin:

Well if Clemens was cut (I really don't know his status) I would think he would be open to coming back. I am actually not sure how he has looked in camp for the Skins.

Well if Clemens was cut (I really don't know his status) I would think he would be open to coming back. I am actually not sure how he has looked in camp for the Skins.

Me neither. I was a little disappointed that he was never even in the discussion there with Grossman and Beck. That in itself is a bit of an indictment.

Me neither. I was a little disappointed that he was never even in the discussion there with Grossman and Beck. That in itself is a bit of an indictment.

He needs Jaworski to take over a team. Then Jaws will give him the starting job!

Greg McElroy tweeted this a few minutes ago:

Thanks to everyone for positive thoughts and prayers. They will uplift me throughout this process! Just a temporary bump in the road!

I call bullsh*t! How can he tweet with only one thumb?

I watched them play the Ravens and Clemens was horrendous. Utterly useless. Bouncing passes in the ground. To top it off, he threw a pick with the lead and the game in the bag when they should have been running the clock. OTOH, he seemed the undisputed #3 QB.

Jets season now more than ever hinges on Sanchez staying healthy and improving over last year.

You think Greg McElroy getting hurt somehow changed the importance Sanchez had to this team? If Greg McElroy or Kevin O'Connell were to see significant playing time this year, neither scenario is good.

You think Greg McElroy getting hurt somehow changed the importance Sanchez had to this team? If Greg McElroy or Kevin O'Connell were to see significant playing time this year, neither scenario is good.

I was merely saying that if Sanchez gets a bump or a bruise and has to miss a quarter or a game the jets have nothing behind him. Not even a game manager to keep defenses back a tiny bit. Sanchez gets the wind knocked out of him and you have to worry about losing drives or having the guy throw the game away. I apologize if I was unclear.

I was merely saying that if Sanchez gets a bump or a bruise and has to miss a quarter or a game the jets have nothing behind him. Not even a game manager to keep defenses back a tiny bit. Sanchez gets the wind knocked out of him and you have to worry about losing drives or having the guy throw the game away. I apologize if I was unclear.

mcelroy wasn't going to play this year under any conditions, just like painter for the colts. nothing has changed.

mcelroy wasn't going to play this year under any conditions, just like painter for the colts. nothing has changed.

I think I may be mistaken about something. Last I heard, Brunell was injured. Is he back and healthy? If he is disregard what i was saying.

That you are.

Ahh, thanks for clearing it up. And It's more than one thing I am mistaken about. lol. One thing is I'm a jet fan and I also made a $300 bet this year that the jets have a better record than the Pats. Hopefully brunell and the kid from the pats do well. Sanchez has the leg problems in the past. Sanchez is the only person I'm really concerned about this season. He improves: we win the superbowl.

They put him on IR today. Can't believe this....wow.

It was the right move. They're already holding spots for Payne and Turner. Three empty roster spots is a lot. I'd guess they put it off until they found a QB they had confidence in to be the #3 this year. They found that in O'Connell (which should also be a little comforting).

If Gilyard can really perform the gunner role well, Payne might find himself on the IR, too.

slats-I'm really surprised we didn't go after Wallace Wright for that gunner role-he was the best STer we ever had in that role

It may've come down to the vested veteran/guaranteed salary thing. If Gilyard can handle that role and has potential as a WR, it's a good pickup. If he can't, he'll be cut at no further cost when Payne returns.

Archived