Jets News Thread For Sept 7 2011

SoFlaJets

Rex Ryan's Jets are now the big brother of New York NFL football, overtaking Tom Coughlin's Giants

Gary Myers

Wednesday, September 7th 2011, 12:46 AM

alg_holmes_ryan.jpg

Smith for News; Sipkin/News; David J. Phillip/APSantonio Holmes (l.) and the New York Jets advance to the AFC Championship Game in 2009 and 2010. So for a third consecutive fall, Rex Ryan (r.) predicts Gang Green will go all the way.

amd_new-jet-city-preview-cover.jpg

Daily News

The Jets' Giant Leap

Which team is the big brother of New York NFL franchises, the Jets or Giants?

Rex Ryan has all but huffed and puffed his way all over the city and splattered buckets of green paint across Manhattan to emphasize his point: the Jets are kings of New York.

And he's right: They are brash, have lots of flash and are the toast of this once-Big Blue town.

That fact won't sit well with the Giants or their fans, but as the 2011 season begins, anybody who doesn't think the Jets own this city isn't in touch with reality.

In the past, the Big Apple has always been a Giants town, even when Joe Namath in his fur coats and pantyhose was shocking the world in Super Bowl III. The Jets are starting their 52nd season, but they have always been considered the Giants' annoying little brother.

Right now, though, the Jets are the big brother.

"No question. But bring it on," Rex Ryan told the Daily News. "They've been saying it for years. Well, I'm saying it now. I said it the day I took this job. I didn't come here to be second fiddle to anybody, especially in my own town."

Ryan has led the Jets to the AFC Championship Game in his first two seasons, but lost in Indianapolis and Pittsburgh, respectively. Ryan has guaranteed - for the third consecutive year - that the Jets will bring home the Lombardi Trophy. If the Jets cash in on his guarantee and win Super Bowl XLVI in Indianapolis on Feb. 5, it will end the longest current championship drought in New York sports: 43 years and 24 days. Even the Rangers have won a championship since Namath ran off the field in Miami with his right index finger raised to the sky after the Jets beat the Colts on Jan. 12, 1969.

Lawrence Taylor once said that Jets fans are really Giants fans who couldn't get Big Blue season tickets. The Giants have always cast a huge shadow over the Jets, but the Jets have a younger and more vocal fanbase.

"I think the Jets have done a good job of branding themselves and stepping out of the shadows. They are in the beginning stages of the branding process," said former Giants linebacker Carl Banks, who once worked in the Jets front office when Bill Parcells was in charge. "I don't think either team can stake a claim to who owns the town. The town decides that. The town loves a winner."

And the hot team in the market is the team that wins.

"The Giants are the establishment team over the years," Banks said. "They've had a pattern of sustainable growth. It's not a team with a lot of changeover. They are pretty easy to identify and they've won. The Jets have done a great job the last few years of establishing their own identity and making people pay attention to who they are. People see them differently than the Giants.

"They have a little more sizzle. They have cheerleaders. Lights, camera, action. The Giants are the Giants. It's worked for them for a long time."

The Jets have been fighting for their entire existence to escape second-class status in their own city. That's over.

"There is this overall new spirit and confidence over there," said Peter O'Reilly, the NFL's vice president of fan strategy and marketing. "They are coming to life and not only on the field. The Jets are a progressive organization. They've done a lot to reach out to fans. They are active on social media. They certainly have taken advantage of their success and some of the star power they have. You've got two great franchises in New York. Both are strong."

Ryan embraced the Jets being the subject of the HBO series 'Hard Knocks.' Tom Coughlin would have probably set a up a barricade to keep the cameras away.

"With the new stadium, opportunities like 'Hard Knocks' to get national exposure and get their story and personality out there, they've bottled that in a pretty powerful way to appeal to core fans and casual fans as well," O'Reily said.

It hasn't always been easy being green.

Go back to the year the Jets won the Super Bowl. The Giants were 7-7, and in the early stages of the worst period in their history when whey would fail to make the playoffs from the 1964 season through 1980. Even with the Jets coming off their Super Bowl victory and the Giants just being a mediocre team, it was like the Jets were the champions of the world, but not New York.

The memory of Super Bowl III faded over the years and the Jets reign as the big brother was short-lived, even as the Giants continued to struggle.

Since Gang Green's lone title, the Giants have been to four Super Bowls, winning three of them. The Jets have been to four AFC Championship Games since 1969 and lost all four.

On the way home from their playoff victory last season in New England on Jan. 16 - the second greatest victory in team history - the Jets team plane detoured and flew by the Empire State Building, which was lit up in green. For Ryan, that was just the start.

"We got momentum when you look at the two years we've had since I've been here. And that's all I am going on," Ryan told The News. "We've gone to the playoffs the last two years, the Giants haven't. That's a good football team. There is no question they got a good football team. I want to have the best team in football, not just here in New York."

In his book, "Play Like You Mean It," he said, "When people ask me what it's like to share New York with the Giants, my response is always I am not sharing it with them - they are sharing it with me. Some people like to say the Giants are the big brother team and the Jets are the little brother team. I know it's going to (tick) off every Giants fan to hear this, but here you go: I really don't care.

"We came to New York City to be the best team in the NFL, not just the best team in New York City. And I have news for you: We are the better team. We're the big brother. ... It seems clear that right now we are the better team and we are going to remain the better team for the next 10 years."

Ten years is a long time, but the Jets' appeal in New York is growing. For now, it's just a local phenomenon. From April 1, 2010 to Aug. 30, 2011, the Giants ranked seventh and the Jets ninth in team merchandise sales, according to the NFL. The Steelers, Packers and Cowboys topped the list.

In jersey sales, Mark Sanchez ranked No. 15 and was the only Jet or Giant ranked in the top 25 from April 1, 2011 until Aug. 30, 2011. Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, the MVP of Super Bowl XLV, was No. 2. Even Patriots running back Danny Woodhead outsold all Giants and Jets except Sanchez.

That all changes if the Jets finally win another Super Bowl.

The Giants and Jets play at MetLife Stadium on Dec. 24. The real bragging rights argument won't truly be settled unless the Jets and Giants meet in a Super Bowl.

Until then, it's the Jets' town, and they are the team to beat. And as Ryan said in his book: "Whether you like it or not, those are the facts."

Jets' Flight Crew of Santonio Holmes, Plaxico Burress, Derrick Mason poised to improve aerial attack

BY Kevin Armstrong

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Wednesday, September 7th 2011, 12:47 AM

alg_santonio_holmes.jpg

Corey Sipkin/NewsSantonio Holmes has a brand new contract after a strong season in 2010 and could have an even bigger year this fall with Plaxico Burress and Derrick Mason joining the Flight Crew.

To cornerbacks covering Jets wideout Santonio Holmes, the toughest thing to detect is the direction he will go next.

"Most guys have a tip that gives it away," Jets safety Eric Smith says. "His body is like a poker face. Then boom, he's gone."

The subtle ways of Holmes have always allowed him to slip through opposing secondaries, but now he has an additional level of protection. In joining forces with Plaxico Burress, a deer-legged deep threat, and Derrick Mason, a creative receiver operating out of the slot, Holmes maintains that he will be able to go undetected for longer periods of time during his routes. It will be up to quarterback Mark Sanchez and offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer to spread the ball around.

"We're just going to roam and have fun out there," Holmes says.

Just how open the offense will be is yet to be revealed. Though Sanchez connected with Holmes for touchdowns twice and Burress once in the preseason, the quarterback insists there is more to be installed.

He dubbed the play-calling "conservative" thus far, insisting the reins will be loosened once the regular season begins and full gameplans are outlined. The wideouts will be utilized often, he says.

"All season long it's going to be difficult for teams to match up," Holmes says. "Defense are going to have to choose what they are willing to give up."

alg_plaxico.jpg

Burress' downfield ability should open the field for Holmes. (Patrick McDermott/Getty)

Burress signed with the Jets for a guaranteed $3 million after being released from the Oneida Correctional Facility on June 6. He served 21 months for felony gun possession, and now is expected to be the biggest buoy to an offense that failed time and again to capitalize in the red zone last season. At 6-5, 232 pounds, Burress offers Sanchez a unique talent that is capable of separating from defensive backs with an unrelenting physicality or fade into corners where only he can haul in TDs.

"I'm the type of target where I can just tell the quarterback to throw it up there," Burress says.

His age, 34, remains a big question mark. He rolled his ankle while running extra routes with Holmes before training camp began for him, and experienced setbacks with swelling. What Ryan initially labeled as "minor" became a sprain, following an MRI and Burress took the time to fully recover. His effectiveness and durability will be monitored weekly.

"I know his juices are going to be flowing," said Holmes, who signed a $50 million deal in free agency to return. "He's going to be excited to be part of a team again, to be cared about."

Ryan's already recognized the inability to convert on third down in the preseason as the "Achilles heel", but Burress may be the balm inside the 20. Sanchez connected with him for a 26-yard fade against the Bengals, bringing back memories of how difficult he was to defend against the Giants. It was also a reminder that Burress bounced back from injuries as a Giant, even when missing extended period of practice time as he did in the 2007 season that ended with a Super Bowl in.

"He's in his playbook, asking questions each day," Sanchez said.

From Holmes to Burress, the number of game-winning receptions and Super Bowl rings will be expected to translate to limited mistakes on the field, both on third down and inside the 20. The experience, they maintain, will be their most valuable weapon as they try to get the Jets to the Super Bowl for the first time in 43 years.

"We are all here for one reason," Holmes says. "That's to win it all."

Veteran quarterback David Garrard dumped by the Jacksonville Jaguars, Jets D licks chops for Week 2

BY Kevin Armstrong

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Originally Published:Tuesday, September 6th 2011, 4:41 PM

Updated: Wednesday, September 7th 2011, 1:30 AM

alg_david_garrard.jpg

Mike Ehrmann/Getty

David Garrard is done in Jacksonville after going 39-37 as the Jags' quarterback.

The Jets' defense will likely get a crack at a journeyman quarterback in Week 2.

On Tuesday, Jacksonville Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio and general manager Gene Smith announced that veteran quarterback David Garrard, the team’s starter since 2007, was released less than five days before the season kicks off.

Luke McCown, a relative unknown who has played in 16 games since entering the league in 2004. He has started seven of those contests.

The move came unexpectedly, but it was not unique to the organization's line of thinking. Garrard ascended to the starting position four seasons ago after then-starter Byron Leftwich was released on Sept. 1. It will save them $9 million.

Del Rio is operating with the knowledge that if the team does not make the playoffs at the end of this season, he will not be brought back as coach. The team also drafted quarterback Blaine Gabbert with the No. 10 pick in April’s draft.

Garrard, 33, was not voted a captain by teammates on Monday. They chose tailback Maurice Jones-Drew instead. Garrard did not comment publicly, but he expressed gratitude to fans for their support over the years on his Twitter account.

"Thank you jaguar fans for an awesome ride! You are the best fans ever," he wrote. "You'll always have a special place in my heart and my family's heart!"

It was the second major news story relating to AFC South quarterbacks this week.

Colts leader Peyton Manning is still uncertain as to when he will be able to return to under center, leaving reserve Kerry Collins to catch up quickly on his playbook and suddenly leaving the division to be an open race. The Colts have won the division crown seven of the nine seasons it has been in existence.

Look for Jets coach Rex Ryan to welcome and overwhelm McCown, who has played for three teams, to the spotlight in Week 2 when the Jaguars come calling at MetLife Stadium.

Jets look ahead: Plaxico Burress on hot seat

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Record

Print | E-mail

Cowboys (6-10*) vs. Jets (11-5*)

At MetLife Stadium, Sunday, 8:20 p.m.

TV: Ch. 4

Line: Jets by 4

* 2010 records

Matchup

The Jets split their first two season openers under coach Rex Ryan, trouncing Houston on the road in 2009, before losing to Baltimore at home last year. Rex is 1-0 as a head coach against twin brother and defensive coordinator Rob, that victory coming at Cleveland in overtime, 26-20, last season. It’s the first meeting since the Cowboys routed the visiting Jets, 34-3, on Thanksgiving in 2007.

On the hot seat

Plaxico Burress: Yes, he looked good against Cincinnati in the second preseason game, but he had no receptions against the Giants and the chemistry with Mark Sanchez suddenly looked shaky. Burress’ on-field rapport with Sanchez still is a work in progress, and his body hasn’t taken the physical pounding of a full NFL game since November 2008. Still, the former Giant has a habit of rising to the occasion when he’s in the spotlight (see Super Bowl XLII against New England).

Game plan

Ryan has said he’ll let Sanchez "let it fly" more often this season, but the truth is, Ryan still is a proponent of his so-called "ground and pound" offense. The Jets may take a downfield shot or two against a banged-up Dallas secondary, but will try to establish new featured back Shonn Greene first and thus give Sanchez manageable down-and-distance situations. On defense, the Jets likely will send plenty of blitzes at the young offensive line protecting QB Tony Romo, but must be wary of his ability to convert on third down. The Jets had trouble covering tight ends last season and must contain Jason Witten

9/11 still weighs heavily on ex-Jets' minds

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

BY J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

The Record

Print | E-mail

Tuesday traditionally is a quiet day for most NFL players, a day to try to heal from the assorted bumps and bruises of the most recent game before turning one’s attention to the next one.

0907S1_Chrebet_15p.jpg

But there was one Tuesday 10 years ago unlike any other, when that tranquility was shattered not only for football players, but for an entire country. And nobody was thinking about the next game, especially not the New York Jets.

"It’s still kind of a surreal thing," former Jets’ standout wide receiver Wayne Chrebet said on a conference call Tuesday. "I can’t believe it really happened."

It, of course, refers to the infamous terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, when four planes were hijacked, and two were used as flying bombs to take down the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center. It took two days for then-NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue to announce that the league was postponing the games of the upcoming weekend, but the Jets’ players had made up their minds the day before that.

They had no intention of playing a football game in Oakland that Sunday. Even if they had to forfeit.

Vinny Testaverde, then the Jets’ starting quarterback, grew up in Elmont, N.Y., not that far from the Jets’ training facility at that time, Hofstra University in Hempstead, N.Y. He knew a lot of people who were affected by the tragedy, and he made up his mind very quickly.

"Having a little bit closer connection," he said, "than maybe most of the other teammates, it hit home for me a little more. … I wouldn’t be making that trip [to Oakland]. I’d be staying home. … You take time to grieve. You pay tribute to those people that lost their lives."

Chrebet, a Garfield native, lived in Hackensack early in his Jets’ career.

"My view was the skyline" of Manhattan, he recalled. "All of a sudden, it was not there."

Herm Edwards, then in his first year as a head coach, knew something was wrong that morning even before he turned on the TV in his office, when he noticed the usual air traffic wasn’t flying over the team’s facility.

A day later, he canceled practice after 45 minutes because he could tell his players weren’t into it. Then-center Kevin Mawae, also the team’s player rep, said Tuesday that the players voted unanimously that Wednesday by secret ballot not to play.

"There was really no way this team was going to be emotionally ready to play" that Sunday, Edwards recalled.

They didn’t have to but did return to the field 12 days after the terrorist attacks and defeated New England on the road. Testaverde was OK with that, just as much as he was against playing the first Sunday after 9/11.

"I think it was part of the healing process for many Americans," he said. "I also thought it was important to go forward and provide some entertainment, some distraction, if you will."

"It was one of those moments you know exactly what you were doing," Mawae said, adding that then-teammate Kerry Jenkins was living in a hotel in Manhattan at the time and told Mawae he "watched people jump out of the building from 60, 70 stories up to avoid burning to death. Those are things you don’t forget."

Edwards agreed.

"This tragic event never leaves for me," he said. "Every opening day I always reflect on that."

As will the Jets and Cowboys when they play Sunday night on the 10th anniversary.

"I know emotion will carry down to the field," Testaverde said, "and hopefully the players will feel that and respond to it

Time not on Brian’s side

Last Updated: 7:52 AM, September 7, 2011

Posted: 12:35 AM, September 7, 2011

brian_costello.pngBrian Costello

ON THE JETS

Pop quiz: Who is the longest tenured offensive coordinator in the AFC?

Here’s a hint: His last name is practically considered a curse word in the upper deck of MetLife Stadium and he is the key in determining whether the Jets will be planning a parade in February or another offseason in purgatory.

Brian Schottenheimer has been with the Jets since 2006, the second-longest run in the NFL behind Marty Mornhinweg with the Eagles. He now faces the most important season in his career. For the first time, he has a quarterback he’s been with for three years. The Jets spent money on wide receivers Santonio Holmes and Plaxico Burress, giving Schottenheimer expensive toys to play with. Since 2009, the team has used 10 of its 13 draft picks on offensive players.

Yet with all of this, the Jets offense enters the 2011 season with more question marks than The Riddler’s closet.

The group never found its groove in the preseason as it worked in a few new parts, and dealt with a few nagging injuries. The lone highlight came in that 99-yard drive against the Bengals, punctuated by Burress’ diving catch.

Even the always confident Rex Ryan admitted last week that he had some concerns about his offense.

It’s on Schottenheimer to make it work. You get the impression that Ryan spends much more time working on his opponent’s offense than his own. That’s fine. He has empowered Schottenheimer to give the Jets an adequate offense to complement their all-world defense.

Adequate — that’s all the Jets offense needs to be. It doesn’t need to average 30 points a game, as they’ve talked about. It doesn’t need to be the 1999 Rams and throw it all over the field. Defense will carry the day as long as Ryan roams the Jets sideline.

But everywhere you look on the Jets offense there are questions.

The only sure thing among the skilled players is Holmes, and he is one bad decision away from a suspension.

Quarterback Mark Sanchez looked better on the pages of GQ than he did on the practice field in August. Burress is 34 and has not played a game that counts in almost three years.

Shonn Greene? He’s shown flashes, but how many yards would you guarantee he runs for this year?

The retirement of tackle Damien Woody had a domino effect on the offensive line’s depth. Longtime backup Wayne Hunter is now starting, but he may have been a longtime backup for a reason. They spent the weekend scouring the waiver wire for warm bodies to plug into the second unit.

The good news for Schottenheimer is the Jets have a favorable schedule if you need to break in your offense. Of the their first five opponents, none ranked higher than 10th in total defense last year. This week, they face a Cowboys defense that finished 23rd in the league, and brought in new coordinator Rob Ryan to fix it.

Burress promises the offense is ready to light up the scoreboard. Don’t be fooled by the preseason, he says.

“We really haven’t had a chance on offense to really put it out there to show everybody what we’re capable of doing,” Burress told The Post. “I really believe that some teams aren’t gonna know what hit ’em.”

It’s riding on Schottenheimer. He’s had an odd existence with the Jets, coming in under Eric Mangini, dealing with the failed Brett Favre experiment and then spending the last two years breaking in Sanchez under Ryan.

This year, there’s been no turnover at quarterback or head coach. This year, it’s on Schottenheimer to find the answers to all of the Jets’ questions.

If he fails, there may be a new answer to that pop quiz question next season.

2010 picks on clock

General manager Mike Tannenbaum has pulled off some great drafts in his five years on the job, but 2010 does not look like it’s going to go down as one of them.

The Jets drafted four players last year, and three of them had shaky preseasons. The only player from the draft who has become a starter is the last player they picked — fullback John Conner.

First-round pick Kyle Wilson will play significant time this season, and that may not be a good thing judging by how he played in the final preseason game. The Jets swear that Wilson is more confident this year, and Darrelle Revis has spent significant time working with him. No one is ready to lump Wilson in with Vernon Gholston yet, but he needs to show major progress this year.

Second-round pick Vlad Ducasse had a terrible training camp. He played a lot of different positions on the offensive line, and did not look like he fit in any of them. He had a bunch of penalties, and got blown away by defenders.

Running back Joe McKnight, the team’s fourth rounder, is maddening to watch. He had a ton of natural ability, but terrible instincts.

It’s time for these guys to start contributing.

Plans to commemorate 9/11

The Jets announced their plans to honor the victims of 9/11 before and during their game with the Cowboys on Sunday. Here are the highlights:

Pregame:

The team will distribute an American flag to each fan who enters MetLife Stadium.

“Taps” will be streamed live into the stadium with the backdrop of the World Trade Center site.

FDNY, NYPD and PAPD bagpipers will perform “Amazing Grace” on the field.

A full-field American flag will be unfurled and held by members of the military, FDNY, NYPD and PAPD.

Mary J. Blige will sing the national anthem.

Children of first responders will serve as the team’s honorary captains.

At halftime:

Robert De Niro will narrate what the team described as a “powerful moment created by family members of 9/11 victims.”

John Ondrasik of Five For Fighting will perform “Superman.”

During the game:

Fans can donate $10 to the 9/11 Memorial and Museum by texting “HOPE” to 80088.

Players and coaches will wear FDNY and NYPD hats that will be sold on jetsshop.com with proceeds going to the 9/11 Memorial and Museum.

Scouting the Jets: Position-by-position breakdown of Gang Green, which looks to unseat Patriots

BY Manish Mehta

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Wednesday, September 7th 2011, 12:45 AM

alg_mark_sanchez.jpg

Jim McIsaac/GettyFor the New York Jets to take the next step, Gang Green needs third-year quarterback Mark Sanchez to improve his accuracy and to be consistent for a full four quarters each weekend.

Rex Ryan insists that he's never had a better roster in his three years with the Jets. Ryan's team is loaded on paper with plenty of marquee names, but can it finally topple the Patriots to win the AFC East and get at least one home playoff game? Ryan knows that his team will likely need to do that to make the Super Bowl. In the past two years, Gang Green has played all of its six postseason games on the road.

Here is a position-by-position look at the Jets:

QUARTERBACKS

Mark Sanchez has shown flashes of brilliance through his first two seasons. Although he's already tied for the most postseason road playoff wins (four) by a quarterback in NFL history, there's plenty of room for growth. Sanchez needs to become a more accurate passer - only two quarterbacks finished with a lower completion rate a year ago - and consistent throughout games. He'll also have to improve his red-zone efficiency if Gang Green hopes to reach the Super Bowl. Veteran Mark Brunell battled finger and calf injuries in the preseason, but he'll be the go-to guy if Sanchez goes down. Rookie Greg McElroy, who showed his toughness in the preseason before going on IR, could be the long-term answer as Sanchez's backup.

RUNNING BACKS

Shonn Greene will be the primary ball carrier within the Jets' ground-and-pound scheme. The third-year running back will get the bulk of work on first and second downs before LaDainian Tomlinson takes over his new third-down responsibilities. Greene had durability issues as a rookie before proving last season he can make it through an entire season despite his bruising running style. Expect Greene to get significantly more carries than his career-high 185 in the regular season last year. Tomlinson will get carries, but his value will be as pass-catching option. Joe McKnight, who will back up Greene and Tomlinson, could be lined up in the slot from time to time. Rookie Bilal Powell will be used primarily on special teams.

WIDE RECEIVERS

Santonio Holmes, who made big plays down the stretch and in the playoffs for the Jets, could reach elite status this year. Expect the Jets to take advantage of Holmes' run-after-the-catch ability. The Jets are hoping Plaxico Burress, coming off more than a two-year hiatus, will be the valuable red-zone target that Sanchez desperately needs. If Burress stays healthy, he'll be a perfect complement to Holmes. Sprinkle in Derrick Mason, who proved last year in Baltimore that he can still be effective, and the Jets may actually have a better pass-catching trio than a year ago. The biggest question is how quickly Sanchez develops chemistry with his two new weapons.

TIGHT ENDS

Dustin Keller has all the tools to be an elite tight end. The fourth-year pro may be the beneficiary of all the attention on the Jets' wide receiver trio. Keller proved last year that linebackers and safeties couldn't cover him one-on-one. However, he needs to be more consistent. Keller disappeared for weeks at a time after a white-hot start last season. There's no reason why he can't finish with 65+ receptions. Keep an eye on Jeff Cumberland, too. The converted wide receiver has great hands. Expect the Jets to use some two-tight end sets to take advantage of Cumberland's skill set. Matt Mulligan replaces Ben Hartsock as the blocking tight end.

OFFENSIVE LINE

There's no reason to think that the Jets won't have an elite offensive line despite the retirement of right tackle Damien Woody. Wayne Hunter, who filled in for an injured Woody last year, is a solid pass protector. The rest of the unit, which includes Pro Bowlers D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold and underrated right guard Brandon Moore, is rock-solid. The biggest concern is a lack of depth. Veteran Rob Turner is out indefinitely after breaking his leg in the preseason. Last year's second-round pick Vlad Ducasse, who has had his fair share of struggles in the preseason, is the primary backup guard and tackle.

alg_rex_ryan.jpg

Rex Ryan's game management should improve in his third season as Jets head coach. (David J. Phillip/AP)

DEFENSIVE LINE

The biggest criticism of the Jets' defense last season was its inability to generate a consistent pass rush without blitzing. An injection of youth along the defensive line should help put more sustained pressure on opposing quarterbacks. Ryan has likened first-round pick Muhammad Wilkerson, who replaces Shaun Ellis as the starting defensive end, to a young Trevor Pryce. Wilkerson, an interior pass-rushing presence, is expected to make an immediate impact. Ropati Pitoitua, Kenrick Ellis and Martin Tevaseu give Gang Green a legitimate six-man rotation that was lacking last season. Veterans Sione Pouha and Mike DeVito are run-stuffing anchors for a unit that should improve.

LINEBACKERS

Ryan has arguably the best inside linebacker tandem in the league with David Harris and Bart Scott. The emergence of Josh Mauga in the preseason adds some much-needed depth at the position. The bigger question mark is whether the outside linebackers can bring consistent heat on quarterbacks. The Jets didn't address the edge pass-rushing need in the draft, so it appears that Ryan & Co. believe the current cast of characters can handle the load. Calvin Pace, who never fully recovered from preseason foot surgery last year, will be counted on to become a pass-rushing force from the outside now that he's completely healthy. Third-year pro Jamaal Westerman will be the "designated pass rusher" off the edge. The versatile Bryan Thomas will do his fair share of rushing the passer and dropping into coverage.

SECONDARY

Although Darrelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie may be the best cornerback tandem in the league, the secondary is hardly perfect. Kyle Wilson, who struggled as a rookie, will be the starting nickel back. With Revis and Cromartie eliminating the boundaries, Wilson will see plenty of action in the slot. Opposing quarterbacks will test him early and often. Safeties Jim Leonhard, who is fully recovered from a season-ending leg injury, and Eric Smith are two of the smartest players on the team. Don't expect the same kind of miscommunication that plagued the Jets at inopportune times last season. However, the safeties have to do a much better job covering tight ends this season.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Mike Westhoff lost the dangerous Brad Smith to free agency, so he'll turn to rookie Jeremy Kerley to handle the bulk of return duties. Kerley isn't as explosive as Smith, but he was dependable in the preseason. Don't be surprised if Cromartie fields kickoffs during critical moments of games. Westhoff has also chosen to attack the new kickoff rules rather than settle for touchbacks. Nick Folk outlasted Nick Novak in the preseason to win the kicking competition. T.J. Conley beat Chris Bryan for the punting gig.

COACH

Ryan has proven to be one of the best defensive minds in the game for the past decade. He's still learning the nuances of being a head coach, but his four playoff wins in his first two seasons rank among the best in league history. Keep an eye on his game management, which will likely improve in his third season.

PREDICTION: 12-4, WILD CARD

The pieces are in place for the Jets to make another deep postseason run. Expect Sanchez to take a step forward in his development. The defense will be among the league's elite once again. Although the Jets match up well against the Patriots, they'll need teams from around the league to help them out and beat New England in the regular season to have any chance of winning the AFC East.

Bill Belichick's team has too much firepower to finish with fewer than 12 wins, so the Jets will be a wild-card team for the third consecutive season. In the end, the challenge of winning three consecutive road games to get to the Super Bowl will prove to be too much. For the third year in a row, the Jets will come up one game short of reaching the big game.

Cowboys head coach expects emotional 9/11 weekend

Jets Blog

By BART HUBBUCH

Last Updated: 8:15 AM, September 7, 2011

Posted: 12:43 AM, September 7, 2011

More Print

IRVING, Texas — Even a decade later, Jason Garrett can still hear those sirens endlessly screaming past his Upper West Side apartment. Now coach of the Cowboys, Garrett was a backup quarterback for the Giants in 2001 and just trying to get some sleep early on Sept. 11, 2001, after the red-eye flight from a game in Denver the night before.

"Living in the city, you get used to the noise," Garrett said here this week. "But come 8:30 or 9 [a.m.], I have a vivid memory of so many fire trucks going past our apartment that I was finally like, ‘What in the heck is happening?’¤"

Garrett, a Princeton product who brings his team to MetLife Stadium on Sunday night to face the Jets on the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks, didn’t need long to find out.

A phone call moments later from a former Cowboys teammate alerted him to the disaster unfolding just a few miles away, and what the usually stoic Garrett saw and felt over the next few days and weeks still makes him emotional.

"It was a day unlike any other for our country, and if you were there like I was [and] living through it, it was an incredibly emotional day," Garrett said this week. "It was one I won’t soon forget. I’m sure all those emotions will come back for me [this weekend]."

UPDATES FROM OUR JETS BLOG

POST NFL PREVIEW

Garrett’s players are taking their cue from their coach as far as what to expect this weekend.

"He’s already told us what it was like [in New York] and how something like that puts football in perspective," cornerback Orlando Scandrick said. "Knowing he went through it up close really drives that home."

Garrett, who indicated the Cowboys are considering some form of team-wide event to mark the anniversary in Manhattan after they arrive Saturday, still credits the Yankees more than any other team for helping ease New York City’s pain that fall.

Garrett said he still has vivid memories of being at Yankee Stadium during their 2001 run to the World Series and getting caught up in the patriotic fervor before and during those games.

"I remember going to Yankees games that fall, and you can’t underestimate the impact of their run to the World Series on that city,’’ Garrett said. "From the great Bob Sheppard introducing the bald eagle Challenger coming in from center field, to Kate Smith’s ‘God Bless America’ and the Harlem Boys Choir to the Irish tenor Ronan Tynan, it was quite an experience. The community really rallied behind that."

Garrett said the Giants and other local franchises aside from the Yankees did their part to lift spirits, too, and he still recalls going to Ground Zero as a team the weekend immediately after 9/11 to hand out water and chat with the workers there.

"I definitely think sports helped emotionally after 9/11, and I know we [the Giants] took that responsibility very seriously," Garrett said.

Just as serious, Garrett added, as the Cowboys’ intention to do their part to give America a good show on an otherwise somber occasion.

"We have a responsibility to be at our best, and we know it," he said.

bhubbuch@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/cowboys_garrett_expects_emotional_aCbQhwm6b16xl7RnlJqOmN#ixzz1XH8WgntF

this Cowboys LBer sounds a little ghey

Sanchez takes some shots over GQ cover

11:47 AM, September 7, 2011ι By BRIAN COSTELLO

Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez expected to take some hits over his GQ cover boy status, and they are starting to roll in.

In Dallas, backup outside linebacker Victory Butler called him "Sexy Sanchez" on ESPN 103.3.

When asked if Sanchez was a good quarterback, according to ESPN Dallas Butler said, "Oh, yeah, good looking. How could you not want to sack a guy like that?"

If Butler gets a sack, he said he has a plan for Sanchez.

“If the refs give me enough time, maybe I’ll whisper a couple of sweet nothings in his ear,” Butler said. “I have his GQ if he wants to sign it for me. I’d really like that. I really want him to sign the cover of this for me. It’d be nice.”

In Green Bay, Aaron Rodgers said he was not a fan of some of Sanchez's photos.

“Look at this,” Rodgers told ESPN Milwaukee.. “That’s embarrassing. Page 94 of the GQ thing here. That’s terrible.”

On Page 94, there is a photo of Sanchez inside MetLife Stadium, wearing white pants, a black tank top and sunglasses in a complete model pose.

Don't expect to see Rodgers posing for GQ anytime soon.

“It’s just not really my style,” Rodgers said. “I like my anonymity, I like my privacy. I like being able to be the quarterback during the week and, in the offseason, just be able to do what I want to do and not have to be in the public eye.”

Shocker: Jeremy Kerley was an awesome high school athlete

by Ted Berg on September 7th, 2011 at 9:59 am

His track and baseball seasons overlapped, occasionally causing scheduling conflicts. As a junior, after finishing second in the state triple jump competition in Austin, he joined his baseball teammates for a playoff game in Lorena, 90 miles north. The game ended with Kerley throwing out the tying run at home plate from right field.

“The things he’d do, it’s like he got dressed in a phone booth,” said Mike Mullins, who coached football against Kerley at Cameron Yoe High School. “You knew you’d better find a way to tackle him, or else you’d be hearing the Hutto fight song. And I heard a lot of the Hutto fight song.”

-

Ben Shpigel, N.Y. Times.

Good feature from the Times on Jets rookie wideout Jeremy Kerley, who grew up in a tiny town outside of Austin, Texas.

I’m sure many — if not most — professional athletes have stories like this one somewhere in their past but I never get sick of hearing them. The best my town could boast was the legend of Mike Ryan and a couple of football stories which I shared here already. And none of those guys came all that close to playing in the NFL.

In my third game of varsity football sophomore year, I matched up against a senior nose tackle from Glen Cove named Ryan Fletcher. He had speed, strength, ability and about 100 pounds on me. He wound up scoring three touchdowns — from nose tackle – en route to what some immediately deemed the greatest individual defense effort in the history of Long Island football. He wound up at UConn and then on a couple of NFL taxi squads, but I don’t believe he ever played in an actual professional game.

That is to say I don’t envy any undersized sophomore centers who lined up across from Ndamukong Suh in his senior year of high school.

this Cowboys LBer sounds a little ghey

Sanchez takes some shots over GQ cover

11:47 AM, September 7, 2011ι By BRIAN COSTELLO

Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez expected to take some hits over his GQ cover boy status, and they are starting to roll in.

In Dallas, backup outside linebacker Victory Butler called him "Sexy Sanchez" on ESPN 103.3.

When asked if Sanchez was a good quarterback, according to ESPN Dallas Butler said, "Oh, yeah, good looking. How could you not want to sack a guy like that?"

If Butler gets a sack, he said he has a plan for Sanchez.

“If the refs give me enough time, maybe I’ll whisper a couple of sweet nothings in his ear,” Butler said. “I have his GQ if he wants to sign it for me. I’d really like that. I really want him to sign the cover of this for me. It’d be nice.”

In Green Bay, Aaron Rodgers said he was not a fan of some of Sanchez's photos.

“Look at this,” Rodgers told ESPN Milwaukee.. “That’s embarrassing. Page 94 of the GQ thing here. That’s terrible.”

On Page 94, there is a photo of Sanchez inside MetLife Stadium, wearing white pants, a black tank top and sunglasses in a complete model pose.

Don't expect to see Rodgers posing for GQ anytime soon.

“It’s just not really my style,” Rodgers said. “I like my anonymity, I like my privacy. I like being able to be the quarterback during the week and, in the offseason, just be able to do what I want to do and not have to be in the public eye.”

When the Jets win Sunday can I rename this guy Loss Butler? Based on last year's finish, he should be named Embarrassing Failure Butler.

so I wonder if he'll be a Jets fan again...screw you fatso

Press Release: Kris Jenkins Joins SNY

by Bassett on September 7th, 2011 at 11:57 am

Here’s a press release on the news of the addition of Kris Jenkins to the SNY lineup.

SNY,the television home of the New York Mets, Jets and Big East Conferencetoday announced that former All-Pro nose tackle Kris Jenkinshas joined SNY as an NFL analyst and will make his first appearance on Jets Game Plan Thursday, September 8th at 3pm. In addition to being the lead analyst on Jets Game Plan, Jenkinswill make guest appearances on SportsNite, Jets Extra Point and the network’s critically acclaimed Jets Post Game Live program. Jenkinsjoins SNY’s roster of NFL on-air talent, including former Jets star defensive lineman Joe Kleckoformer Jets QB Ray Lucas, NFL Insider Adam Schein, Jets reporter/hostJeané Coakley and host Brian Custer.

“We’re thrilled to have Kris expand his relationship with SNY, which began during his playing days with the Jets,” said Curt Gowdy, Jr., SNY’s Senior Vice President of Production and Executive Producer. “Kris will continue to provide insightful and contemporary analysis to our comprehensive Jets coverage. He joins a talented group of NFL analysts at SNY and we expect his candor and objective opinions to further enhance our programming.”

“I’m excited to continue to be a part of the SNY family and give Jets fans a true, inside-look at the team throughout the season,” said Kris Jenkins. “This city has been great to me and I look forward to remaining close to the game that I love.”

Prior to retiring earlier this year, Jenkins was one of the most dominating defensive linemen in the game and played for the Carolina Panthers and New York Jets. He was originally drafted by the Panthers in the second round of the 2001 NFL Draft and was a key member during their trip to the Super Bowl in 2004. A three-time All-Pro and four-time Pro Bowl selection, Jenkins played seven seasons for the Panthers before being traded to the New York Jets in 2008.

SNYis the official television home of the New York Mets, Jets and the Big East Conference. SNY features unparalleled, exclusive access to the New York Mets with more than 130 live telecasts each season – all produced in HD – as well as other Emmy Award winning Mets entertainment programming. As the official TV home of the New York Jets, SNYdelivers more than 300 hours of exclusive year-round content devoted to Gang Green. SNY also is the official TV home of the Big East Conference – airing more than 125 BIG EAST football and basketball games – as well as other critically acclaimed BIG EAST programming. As New York’s leader in local sports TV coverage, SNY delivers the most comprehensive access to all of the Tri-State area’s professional and collegiate sports teams through five nightly sports and entertainment programs – broadcast in state-of-the-art HD – from SNY’sstreet-level studio in the heart of Manhattan. SNY’s programming roster also includes classic sports programming, critically acclaimed original entertainment shows and exclusive interview and magazine programs. Founded by Sterling Entertainment Enterprises, Time Warner and Comcast, SNY is available to viewers throughout New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and northeastern Pennsylvania, and nationally on DIRECTV, Verizon FiOS and AT&T U-Verse. For additional details on the network

Westerman's one-track mind: Get the QB

Updated: Sep 06, 2011 04:35 PM

By RODERICK BOONE

Full Article View

Jamaal Westerman chuckled at Rex Ryan 's moniker for him, smiling at the very thought his coach has tagged him with a three-letter job title.

Ryan calls Westerman a "DPR," which stands for Designated Pass Rusher.

"I think it's cool, man," Westerman said. "Rex loves doing something like that. It's cool. Now it's time for me to go out there and show what I can do, and keep playing hard. Not only in the pass rush, but as an outside linebacker as a whole."

Westerman's first crack at making "DPR" a well-known term among opposing quarterbacks comes Sunday, when the Jets host Tony Romo and the Cowboys in their prime-time season opener at MetLife Stadium. Now in his third season, the 6-3, 255-pound linebacker is involved in a variety of defensive packages, and should see plenty of time in passing situations.

He's being relied upon to get more pressure on the quarterback, something the Jets haven 't done enough consistently -- most notably in late-game situations -- during the first two seasons in Ryan's complex scheme. He has the natural speed and athleticism to wreak some havoc in the backfield.

"I think that Westerman is ready," fellow outside linebacker Calvin Pace said. "Usually, the third year for everybody is kind of the turnaround year, to where you start seeing the game slow down a little bit and you can go in as a player and be productive."

Westerman didn't see a lot of time during his first two seasons, relegated mostly to special teams and playing sporadic minutes as a reserve on defense. He showed promise during his rookie season in 2009, when he recorded his lone career sack late in the Jets' season-opening victory over the Texans

However, an ankle injury set him back early last season and he couldn't crack the rotation once he got healthy, playing in just six regular-season games before being activated for the Jets' three playoff games. With veteran Jason Taylor serving as the pass-rushing specialist, there wasn't much of a need for Westerman.

"Definitely, it was frustrating," Westerman said. "I got a little nicked up early and then you are out for a couple of games. It's hard to get back into the flow. I know we had J.T. and the guys were playing well, so it was kind of frustrating. But I kept working hard in practice, kept working hard whenever my number was called."

He's taking that same approach again, particularly on special teams. Westerman is making sure he's fully in tune with coordinator Mike Westhoff . "With Westhoff, you never know where you'll be -- kickoff, punt," Westerman said. "I'm just working on reading a little bit better, seeing a little bit better and firing your gun when it's time. Not kind of waiting for it, but going to get it . . . and keep Westhoff happy because when Westhoff is on you, it's going to be a rough day."

BGA Special: Scouting Mardy Gilyard

by Bent on September 6th, 2011 at 8:36 pm

With all the waiver claims over the past few days, the Jets have acquired several players who are not exactly household names. I have therefore been looking at game footage to get a feel for what these guys bring to the table.

Mardy Gilyard is a playmaking receiver who put up huge numbers in college and made multiple highlight reel-worthy plays. He is probably more comfortable in the slot because he lacks the ability to get deep separation, but is a good athlete (39 inch vertical), with outstanding short area quickness (he posted a sparkling three cone drill time of 6.78 at his pro day). Why, therefore, did he find himself cut after just one year in the league?

Gilyard started out his college career at Cincinnati as a cornerback, but after being declared academically ineligible for 2006, he was converted to wide receiver, where he developed into one of the top receiving prospects in the 2010 draft. Some draft sites had him as a possible 2nd round pick, but he was eventually drafted by the Rams with the first pick of the fourth round.

With the Rams starved for wide receivers, Gilyard got plenty of opportunities, but he reportedly struggled to learn the system and his playing time on offense all but vanished after week six. Hamstring and wrist issues didn’t exactly help matters, either. In 2011, the Rams added Mike Sims-Walker and decided that the likes of Danario Alexander, Mark Clayton and Danny Amendola bring more to the table, especially after Gilyard had some preseason struggles.

Gilyard is still a guy with bucketloads of potential, but there are obviously plenty of issues that are holding him back from being a consistent contributor at the NFL level. Let’s look at his body of work as an NFL receiver and try and determine how he can help the team (assuming he sticks around) in the short term and potentially down the line.

Let’s start by looking at what’s been said about him in the media. He soon wore out his welcome by the sounds of things and didn’t really help his cause by reportedly asking for a trade in May:

A guy that could not make it into games with a young QB and no WR help on the roster is not a guy other teams will want. Granted Gilyard has probably seen the light that his NFL future in not in St. Louis, but who is going to trade anything for this guy? Since I am not on the ground in St. Louis I have no idea what the deal here is, but it sounds like a kid with no work ethic, who possibly has a bad attitude and all that is a big red flag that this is not a kid any team will want on their roster.

He was given an opportunity to play at the start of his rookie year, so let’s look back on his 2010 season as a whole and consider some of the issues that limited his playing time.

2010 Statistics

In basically six games (I think he saw one offensive snap in the second half of the season), Gilyard caught six passes for 63 yards. Disconcertingly, he was actually thrown at 15 times, so his catch rate was just 40%.

He returned 16 kickoffs for a pedestrian 22.3 yard average with one lost fumble. He also fair-caught one punt and was credited with two tackles.

Pass Catching

These were the catches Gilyard made:

1. Seven yards on an out pattern, where he fought to get to the marker, setting up the go-ahead TD on the next play.

2. Nine yards over the middle on a nice third and five route over the middle.

3. Four yards on a screen pass.

4. Five yards on a dump-off over the middle.

5. 17 yards on a downfield sideline catch, plus 15 yards for a facemask penalty as he was tackled.

6. 21 yards on a low, diving catch down the middle to convert a 3rd and 17 situation.

Some of the incompletions were as follows:

- Screen pass in the flat. Hit as soon as he caught the ball and dropped it, although he was better off dropping it because it would have gone for a loss.

- Timing was off on his route, as the pass came at him when he wasn’t expecting it.

- Ran a deep corner route and had a step on the defender, but the throw was underthrown, perhaps because the QB expected him to curl his route back towards the outside.

- Miscommunication between QB and WR as the QB threw an out pattern, but Gilyard didn’t break to the outside.

Kick Returns

- Gilyard had a 34 yard return in his first game, but this would prove to be the only time he gained more than 30 on a return.

- He broke a total of three tackles, all in his first two games.

- In week three, he lost a fumble which set up a touchdown.

- In week ten, he muffed a kickoff in the endzone.

Special Teams

- As a punt return gunner, he had a great highlight in week one. With two guys blocking him, he evaded them and got downfield and made a big hit on the return man, although in doing so he aggravated a problematic wrist injury.

- On another punt, he was only blocked by one guy and blew by him easily to down a punt at the four yard line.

Miscellaneous

- Gilyard wasn’t called upon to run block much, but on two running plays, he motioned over to the edge of the line and made a cut block on a defender. In each case, he executed the block, but the defensive player was able to get back up and stuff the run for no gain.

- As noted above, he fair caught one punt.

- On one play, the Rams lost a fumble. Gilyard hustled over to the recovering player and tackled him, jarring the ball loose for a forced fumble, although the ball bounced forward and was still recovered by the defense.

After a season with a few flashes of potential but far too many mental errors, the Rams were hoping Gilyard would emerge stronger in his second season. Let’s look now at how he fared in preseason.

2011 Preseason Statistics

Gilyard caught eight passes for 84 yards in the four games. He was only thrown to ten times, so his catch rate was a much more encouraging 80%.

As a kick returner, he averaged 23.9 yards on eight kicks and as a punt returner, he averaged 3.1 yards on 12 punts. He had one special teams tackle.

Pass Catching

Here are details of the eight catches he made:

1. 10 yards, as he made a catch in the flat and broke one tackle on a well blocked play.

2. 11 yards on a crossing pattern, as he broke a tackle to get to the marker.

3. 12 yards on a 3rd and six catch. He broke a tackle to get a couple of extra yards down to the 23 to set up the game winning field goal.

4. One yard on a screen. He had nowhere to go, although it looked like he might have perhaps telegraphed the fact he was getting the ball.

5. 14 yards on 3rd and nine as he caught a pass on a deep out route and hung on despite a big hit from a DB

6. Three yards on another screen pass where he had nowhere to run.

7. 17 yards on 3rd and 12 as he made a low sliding grab and smartly got up before he was touched to get a few extra yards.

8. 16 yards on 3rd and five as he ran a good post route to get a step on the slot cornerback.

The two incompletions he had were disappointing:

- A third and six throw went through his hands and, fortunately, was also dropped by the DB behind him.

- Dropped an easy catch on a crossing route.

Kickoff Returns

- He only managed to get back to the 20 yard line on two of his eight kickoff returns, although perhaps these wouldn’t have been returned in a regular season game.

- On the other two, he went 32 yards to the 27 as his blockers opened up a hole for him and he broke a tackle at the 12 to get out to the 22.

- On one kick return, he fumbled and had it returned for a TD, but was ruled down.

Punt Returns

- 10 of his 12 punt returns combined for just five yards, as he kept catching the ball and getting hit immediately. Maybe he would have fair caught most of these in a regular season game, but felt the pressure to make something happen.

- On the other two, he made the first man miss and then eluded two tackles for 15 and caught the ball at the four yard line, made a stutter step move on the first guy to get to the outside and then broke a tackle to get 17 out to the 21.

- On one punt, he misjudged the flight of the ball and was leaning forward as he tried to catch it. He was lucky to recover the muff.

- On another punt, he fumbled after being hit immediately but his teammate recovered.

- He looked uncomfortable catching one other punt and made a falling catch.

- In total, he broke five tackles on punts.

Special Teams

- Operating as a punt gunner, he split a double team and made an immediate tackle on the return man.

- On another punt, he was in single coverage and got downfield easily to down a punt at the four yard line.

It seems the pattern continues. He had a couple of big third down catches and several broken tackles both as a receiver and a returner, but it was mental errors that plagued him. It’s worth noting that the last two of his catches were late in the fourth game, by which point his fate was probably already sealed.

Conclusions

On the basis of what he has done so far in the NFL, Gilyard has shown flashes of potential, but has made so many mental errors that it’s hardly surprising his coaches lost faith in him. He can run precise routes (

), but his issue was that he too often ran the wrong route. As a return man, there’s no doubt he is elusive, but he constantly makes bad decisions, especially when catching punts. However, you only need to watch a highlight reel from his college career to see what he’s capable of in the return game. Maybe he was just trying to do too much in an effort to kickstart his career, but there is no way I can envisage the Jets letting him catch a punt any time soon, no matter what Peter King says.

Where he can contribute right away is as a punt gunner. He excels at getting downfield and can tackle (perhaps thanks to his pedigree as a cornerback). I’ve always felt the ability to avoid blockers and get downfield on punts is a transferable skill that can manifest itself in improvements in route running. The Jets were starting to see flashes of that from Wallace Wright before he left.

Issues like poor work ethic are disconcerting but, in the past, his career has been on the brink of collapse and he didn’t respond like a guy with a poor work ethic. After poor grades cost him his scholarship in 2006, Gilyard worked three jobs and overcame homelessness to pay for classes and keep his collegiate career alive. Now his pro career is on the ropes, does he have it in him to knuckle down in similar fashion and get back on track?

If he can, the Jets could have themselves a bargain

Cowboys secondary takes another hit

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 7, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT

Chad Hall, Mike Jenkins AP

Dallas’ decision to keep Terence Newman for $8 million instead of going harder after Nnamdi Asomugha ranks as one of the most non-moves of the offseason.

Newman, who struggled all last year, is set to miss Week One. The Cowboys could really be thin in the secondary following news that starting cornerback Mike Jenkins was also hurt at practice Wednesday.

Calvin Watkins of ESPNDallas.com relays the news straight from owner Jerry Jones. The team has only three healthy cornerbacks.

Somewhere, Santonio Holmes and Plaxico Burress are smiling.

UPDATE: A Cowboys offensive lineman was also hurt Wednesday. Jones wouldn’t say who it was.

Rex on Sanchez's completion rate: 'I don’t have him on my fantasy football team. I just want my quarterback to win.'

BY Manish Mehta

Rex Ryan isn’t overly concerned with Mark Sanchez’s low completion percentage. Although only two quarterbacks finished last season with a worse completion than Sanchez’s 55%, Ryan, frankly, doesn’t care.

“You’d love to see your quarterback over 60 (percent),” Ryan said today. “Our system is probably a little different than others. We’ll take probably more shots down field than some teams will. ….The big thing is wins. Protect the football and let’s find ways to get wins. If he’s at 55 and we’re winning games, it doesn’t…. I don’t have him on my fantasy football team. I just want my quarterback to win.”

Contrary to popular belief, the Ryan brothers don’t run identical style defenses.

“I think we’re fraternal in that way, “Rex said about twin brother Rob. “There’s some differences. He’ll do a lot of stuff where he learned under Belichick’s tutelage. We’re definitely different. He’s got his own trademark of defense. So do we here: The Rex Ryan, Mike Pettine and Dennis Thurman Defense.”

Although fullback John Conner (left ankle sprain) was limited in practice, he did participate in team drills. Ryan expects Conner to practice more in the coming days.

"I expect him to pay,” Ryan said of his fullback’s availability for Sunday.

Ryan made no secret that the Cowboys’ inexperienced offensive line, which includes three new starters and rookies at right guard and left tackle, will be challenged by the Jets’ defense. Rookie RT Tyron Smith (knee) was scheduled to undergo an MRI today.

“When you’re starting new offensive (linemen), no matter who you play, there’s going to be some adjustments,” Ryan said, “But when you play a defense like ours that’s been together and does multiple things, there’s probably easier defenses to face than ours.”

WR Plaxico Burress (ankle), CB Darrelle Revis (hip), DL Sione Pouha (knee), TE Jeff Cumberland (hamstring), DL Marcus Dixon (hamstring), DL Kenrick Ellis (knee), WR Derrick Mason (knee), RB Joe McKnight (illness), RG Brandon Moore (illness) and DL Ropati Pitoitua (ankle) practiced fully.

Aaron Rodgers clearly isn’t a fan of Mark Sanchez’s photo spread in the September issue of GQ. Sanchez, of course, received some good natured ribbing from his teammates over the shoot. Rodgers joked that he wasn’t a big fan one of Sanchez’s pictures with him standing in MetLife Stadium with a black tank top, white pants and fur coat slung over his shoulder.

“Look at this,” Rodgers said on the ‘Aaron Rodgers Show’ on ESPN Milwaukee. “That’s embarrassing. Page 94 of the GQ thing here. That’s terrible.”

“It’s just not really my style,” added Rodgers when asked if he’d consider doing a similar photo shoot. “I like my anonymity, I like my privacy. I like being able to be the quarterback during the week and, in the offseason, just be able to do what I want to do and not have to be in the public eye.”

The Cowboys may be without their top cornerback Terence Newman, who missed practice today due to a lingering groin injury that has kept him out for more than a month. That would be good news for Santonio Holmes, who could exploit his matchup against Orlando Scandrick. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones told Dallas reporters today that cornerback Michael Jenkins was injured in practice today, which means Dallas may be down to three healthy cornerbacks on Sunday: Bryan McCann, Alan Ball, and Scandrick.

Rex on Cowboys fans coming to the game on Sunday night: "I don't know why they'd be here. It's probably not recommended that you wear Cowboys stuff."

Ryan called Cowboys' DeMarcus Ware "the best pass rusher in the league." He'll definitely be the focus for o-line on every snap.

Former Jets’ nose tackle Kris Jenkins will be an NFL analyst on CBS this season. He'll contribute to the NFL Today and Showtime's Inside The NFL, according to Sports Illustrated. Jenkins will also be the co-host for “Jets Gameplan” on SNY.

Sure is SFJ. I'm not sure this guy is a total scrub. He was great in college. Not sure what happened to him out there. Jets are taking a flyer on him just to see if it's him or coaching. Kind of like the Maybin pick up

He's one of those guys that might be gone in 2 weeks or might break out and be a star. Sure hope it's the second option. He has the tools

Sure is SFJ. I'm not sure this guy is a total scrub. He was great in college. Not sure what happened to him out there. Jets are taking a flyer on him just to see if it's him or coaching. Kind of like the Maybin pick up

He's one of those guys that might be gone in 2 weeks or might break out and be a star. Sure hope it's the second option. He has the tools

one thing I've learned about myself over the past few years is I am NOT qualified to be the Jets GM-I trust Rex and Tanny to know more about these guys I've never heard of more than I ever will. I guess what finally convinced me was when they were trying to sign and give up a 2nd round pick for some unknown WR who in 2008 had 13 catches in 12 games-I said they MUST be outta their frickin minds-that guy? Miles Austin who the year we wanted him had 81 catches for 1320 yrds and 11 TDs

Mark Sanchez says Jets offense was 'trying too hard' in last year's opener

Published: Wednesday, September 07, 2011, 4:20 PM Updated: Wednesday, September 07, 2011, 4:45 PM

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

The Jets offense started off with a sputter in last year's season opener, managing less than 200 yards of total offense and just six first downs in a 10-9 loss to Baltimore.

"I think we were just trying too hard," quarterback Mark Sanchez said in retrospect. "You get that pressure from HBO's Hard Knocks, and you have to show the world everything you’ve got, and we have all these new players and we want to do so much."

Entering his third season, Sanchez will go into Sunday's season opener against Dallas having learned from last year.

"Just be ourselves, go with what you know," he said. "We’re a good rushing team; we can throw the ball when we need to. Don’t get too cute, don’t make anything up on game day. Just play and have fun."

Sanchez said having a new group of wideouts -- with the exception of Santonio Holmes -- has been "a good challenge for me." Earlier today, coach Rex Ryan said a higher completion percentage for Sanchez would be ideal, but he pointed out that the Jets take more deep shots than other teams, which can bring that number down.

"I don’t have him on my fantasy football team," Ryan said. "I just want my quarterback to win.”

Sanchez's alma mater, Mission Viejo, is in the area to play Don Bosco Prep Saturday night. Mission Viejo visited the Jets facility today, but Sanchez wasn't sure that he'd even have time to see high school coach Bob Johnson.

"I'm focused on the Dallas game first," Sanchez said. "I'm with those guys, and hoping they do well, but that’s their job to do well and my job to play well on Sunday."

Asked to compare the development of Sanchez and Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco, receiver Derrick Mason declined.

"I really don't want to talk about Flacco, honestly," Mason said. "I have No. 6 (now). Not to say there’s anything -- I'm good friends with 'Flacc,' great guy. But it’s about Sanchez now, I could care less what Flacco does. I hope he does well, but I could are less about anything else."

He's here for the gunner role. He has until Logan Payne heals up to demonstrate that he deserves an extended look, or deserves to be cut.

He's here for the gunner role. He has until Logan Payne heals up to demonstrate that he deserves an extended look, or deserves to be cut.

Agreed, but the thing I find most interesting about that is how they're handling that role. If you look back at Wallace Wright this team clearly has no problems giving a roster spot to a player who they consider a good enough gunner and not much else, but consider at this point they're actually holding 2 roster spots for one gunner spot, with Marquice Cole seeming to be the one most often playing the other side this preseason, meanwhile you've hardly seen McKnight step foot on the field on special teams coverage, and he was exceptional at it at the end of last year. Makes you wonder if the Jets really have plans for that extensive of an offensive role for McKnight that they want to limit his play on ST.

Archived