Which Players Currently On The Roster Are You Done With?

SoFlaJets

Yeah, I named three others numbnuts

Please stop name calling. People are allowed to have opinions others don;t agree with. This board is made for discussions. Little bit of razzing is fine, but ganging up and making the board miserable for another poster is not going to be tolerated.

Next person who resorts to name calling will be banned and I don;t give a shiit who it is or how much I like you.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The players on the Jets roster getting the most heat lately are amongst the youngest and it's just a tad extreme. Particularly since a lot of these guys are nothing more than depth and the expectations for them are simply far too high. I can certainly get some of the disappointment in Greene, but he had a good preseason and I'd like to see him play at least one game as the starter this year where the offensive line doesn't play like complete crap before writing off his entire season. Besides, let's be honest, it's not just some random coincidence that this team is carrying 4 HBs on the roster this year. While Greene is the first guy in line to get his chance, they've clearly shown they're not going to put all of their eggs in his basket, so I don't consider that a major concern at this point. If he continues to struggle and the team refuses to start giving more carries to the likes of McKnight and Powell, then that's a different story.

Some guys just take some time to develop and there's a difference between a rough start or only ever being good enough to be a backup, and a player just not being that good. For example, while I completely concede his value in terms of depth and special teams value, Eric Smith is a guy who I never want to see start another game for the rest of his Jets' carer. His ability to cover an opposing player is about as good as mine, and that's the kind of thing that can hurt this team.

Let's not forget, it wasn't all that long ago that pretty mcuh everyone on this board, but me, Irish and slats wanted McKnight's head on a platter, and now he's one of the hero's of the season opener. It's one thing if you have a guy who's position on this team is clearly dragging down the entire team (see: CP circa 2003 - 2007), but we can't expect every depth player to be a superstar. That said, if the Jets have better options availabe on the roster or via FA for a lot of these guys we're talking about, then by all means do what you have to, I just don't think there's any single player causing this team any serious issues right now (and no, we're not getting a new starting QB so let's not go there).

The players on the Jets roster getting the most heat lately are amongst the youngest and it's just a tad extreme. Particularly since a lot of these guys are nothing more than depth and the expectations for them are simply far too high. I can certainly get some of the disappointment in Greene, but he had a good preseason and I'd like to see him play at least one game as the starter this year where the offensive line doesn't play like complete crap before writing off his entire season. Besides, let's be honest, it's not just some random coincidence that this team is carrying 4 HBs on the roster this year. While Greene is the first guy in line to get his chance, they've clearly shown they're not going to put all of their eggs in his basket, so I don't consider that a major concern at this point. If he continues to struggle and the team refuses to start giving more carries to the likes of McKnight and Powell, then that's a different story.

Some guys just take some time to develop and there's a difference between a rough start or only ever being good enough to be a backup, and a player just not being that good. For example, while I completely concede his value in terms of depth and special teams value, Eric Smith is a guy who I never want to see start another game for the rest of his Jets' carer. His ability to cover an opposing player is about as good as mine, and that's the kind of thing that can hurt this team.

Let's not forget, it wasn't all that long ago that pretty mcuh everyone on this board, but me, Irish and slats wanted McKnight's head on a platter, and now he's one of the hero's of the season opener. It's one thing if you have a guy who's position on this team is clearly dragging down the entire team (see: CP circa 2003 - 2007), but we can't expect every depth player to be a superstar. That said, if the Jets have better options availabe on the roster or via FA for a lot of these guys we're talking about, then by all means do what you have to, I just don't think there's any single player causing this team any serious issues right now (and no, we're not getting a new starting QB so let's not go there).

tl;dr

Firing Mangini and hiring Rex is looking like a decent move in hindsight.

Rex is a better coach than Mangini is, sure, and credit for Scott as a package deal, but that aside, do you think the roster looks better for having made the change?

A bag of sand.

Thats kind of a let down. Was expecting warm apple pie.

Aside from having been sitting in the right place for Santonio Holmes to fall out of the sky and into his lap, what exactly has Tannenbaum done since 2007?

I like the team he's assembled. Between trading up for players who are now part of our core - Revis, Harris, Sanchez, Keller, Greene. And then locking up our core Revis, Harris, Mangold, DBrick, Holmes, Cro, etc. Being aggressive in trades - Holmes, Cro..., taking chances of FA's, Pace, Plaxico. IMO - he's constantly trying to improve the team which cant be said for most GM's we've had to deal with over the years. And most importantly, hiring Rex Ryan.

The team - has had only one season that they've regressed since he's taken over. Otherwise, we've either improved or sustained a level of success. He's had misses, for sure, but what GM hasnt?

But Smash said...lol

I watched the replay last night too btw - Wilson was lights out. Probably his best game of his career.

Absolutely agree. I said it at the time, Wilson was the Jets best CB on the field Sunday (although Revis was obviously awesome in the second half), and due to both Revis and Cromartie coming off the field at various points, not to mention the volume of nickel packages, he was playing plenty.

Aside from having been sitting in the right place for Santonio Holmes to fall out of the sky and into his lap, what exactly has Tannenbaum done since 2007?

Interesting question. Let's look at the acquisitions (drafts/FA/trades but not UDFA bc UDFA is more about the player than the GM bringing them in since it's a "try-out" situation and that excludes DeVito & Conley) that are still with the team.

Keller (s)

Sanchez (s)

Greene (s)

Slauson (s)

Scott (s)

Leonhard (s)

Wilson

Vlad

Connor (s)

McKnight

Holmes (s)

Cro (s)

Folk (s)

MoWilk (s)

KEllis

Kerley

Powell

Plax (s)

Strickland

Since 2007, Tannenbaum has acquired 19 players through the draft/FA/trades that are still with team and 12 are starters. Three of those starters are "plus" starters IMO (Scott, Holmes, Cro), 4 are solid (Leonhard, Keller, Plax, and Slauson), 4 are enigmas (Sanchez, Greene, Connor, and Folk) and 1 is a rookie (MoWilk).

That sounds pretty good to me considering the elite talent on the roster (Mangold, Revis, DBrick, Harris). So I'm not sure your reasoning behind wanting to get rid of Mike Tannenbaum.

And then locking up our core Revis, Harris, Mangold, DBrick, Holmes

This is kind of the thing for me. We basically stopped acquiring young core talent with Harris. Holmes is a product of the same 2006 class as D'Brick and Mangold, and the Steelers have gone on to draft Sanders and Brown even while Wallace broke out and made Holmes expendable. That's growing, we're dying, and there ain't no third direction. Sanchez isn't even the biggest concern with this team long-term. It's that by the time he's actually good enough he's not going to have any help.

This is kind of the thing for me. We basically stopped acquiring young core talent with Harris. Holmes is a product of the same 2006 class as D'Brick and Mangold, and the Steelers have gone on to draft Sanders and Brown even while Wallace broke out and made Holmes expendable. That's growing, we're dying, and there ain't no third direction. Sanchez isn't even the biggest concern with this team long-term. It's that by the time he's actually good enough he's not going to have any help.

Antonio Brown, and the rest of the Steelers, looked absolutely putrid on Sunday. I can understand your concern that we haven't drafted any superstars lately, but come on. The core talent is young and awesome, and my guess is about 27-28 teams in the NFL are envious of the roster we've put together.

Steelers always draft well though. Along with Green Bay....both of those teams are stacked.

The Packers and Steelers are probably the only teams on paper I feel that have better rosters than the Jets. Also maybe the Falcons.

I like the Ravens too. When you have Ngata and comp, its hard not to like their roster as well.

Absolutely agree. I said it at the time, Wilson was the Jets best CB on the field Sunday (although Revis was obviously awesome in the second half), and due to both Revis and Cromartie coming off the field at various points, not to mention the volume of nickel packages, he was playing plenty.

He was all over...they had him matching up on the outside, in the slot, on a TE occassionally (should have been more). He played very well. Had a lot more snaps than Strickland which made me very very happy.

I dont think thats fair really. They are all in their prime and have a lot of great years ahead of them.

And its early, but I'd say drafting Wilson, Mo Wilk, Ellis, Kerley, Ducasse...are all attempts at staying young, whether they pan out or not is another questions, but its essentially right along the line of thinking you claim he's ignoring. . Especially when you throw in the UDFA's as well.

That sounds pretty good to me

Of course it does. It's just a list of our players deliberately removed from any context which might make it not sound good. There aren't very many teams who haven't done significantly more than we have in the draft over the last four years. And Rex and Tannenbaum have been lucky even to have done as well as they have. Not just Holmes for free but cutting Moore to go after Chris Kemoeatu and nearly drafting Vlad in the first round.

Aside from the right side of the line and one WR position, this seems a bit extreme.

Of course it does. It's just a list of our players deliberately removed from any context which might make it not sound good. There aren't very many teams who haven't done significantly more than we have in the draft over the last four years. And Rex and Tannenbaum have been lucky even to have done as well as they have. Not just Holmes for free but cutting Moore to go after Chris Kemoeatu and nearly drafting Vlad in the first round.

But that doesn't mean Tannebaum should be fired, which you're advocating. Other teams have drafted better is not an excuse to get rid of a GM.

Is Tannenbaum a great GM? No. Is he a good one? Yes. Good GMs don't deserve to get fired from winning teams.

Aside from the right side of the line and one WR position, this seems a bit extreme.

It's extreme because it's stupid. Saying that other teams are growing while the Jets are dying when their core is entering their prime is assinine. To bring up the Steelers in this situation is comical considering 8 of their 11 starters on defense are over 30. How the hell are they "growing"? Because of WRs? LOL.

It's extreme because it's stupid. Saying that other teams are growing while the Jets are dying when their core is entering their prime is assinine. To bring up the Steelers in this situation is comical considering 8 of their 11 starters on defense are over 30. How the hell are they "growing"? Because of WRs? LOL.

And they already have replacements in line for Smith, Keisel, Farrior, Harrison, etc. Who's in when we lose one linebacker? Think that's funny?

Archived