Mike Westhoff is still a god.

Jetsfan80

The offense is terrible, the defense is inconsistent. Meanwhile, special teams, despite the loss of the immortal Brad Smith, are still excellent.

We'd be 1-4 right now without Westhoff. In addition, the ST unit produced more points than our offense did against the Ravens and helped make the Patriots game look closer than it was. Joe McKnight has made a complete 180 over the course of 1 year, thanks to his play on specials. I'm so glad Westhoff is coming back for at least one more year.

Hey, its SOMETHING positive to look at.

Conley is worse than Weatherford, though.

Weatherford was significantly better at coffin corner punts, but Conley has a MUCH better leg. Seeing as our offense has sputtered and we've been kicking from deep in our own end, Conley has proven to be the more valuable punter.

Well said and the fact that it sounds like he's already planning on coming back for another year is definitely great to hear. Outside of that two year mess with that sh*thead Feely on the team, this special teams unit has been the best in the league for over a decade with Westhoff at the helm, and look as good as ever this year. As far as McKnight goes, it tells you all you need to know when you heard the comment last week about giving McKnight more reps on offense meant needing to pry him away from Westhoff. I said it all offseason, but the #1 reason I had faith that McKnight had turned things around was the fact that of all the people on this team, Westhoff was the guy who he worked himself into the good graces of, and that's pretty damn impressive.

he gives me the impression that he would be good at any coaching spot he tries.

Why has he never progressed to higher spots (OC,DC) in his career?

Frankly, I think the only reason he never got a shot at HC in his career comes down to simply one thing, his health. If I'm not mistaken, he's actually interviewed for every HC opening the Jets have had since he's been here, and that's always been sighted as one of the primary concerns they and other teams have had. It's certainly a legitimate enough point and when you combine that with his age, at this point that ship has sailed. I think he's accepted from this point on it's just a matter of how much longer he's happy with his current position while being one of, if not the, best in the league at what he does, but never getting a chance to be more than that.

Frankly, I think the only reason he never got a shot at HC in his career comes down to simply one thing, his health. If I'm not mistaken, he's actually interviewed for every HC opening the Jets have had since he's been here, and that's always been sighted as one of the primary concerns they and other teams have had. It's certainly a legitimate enough point and when you combine that with his age, at this point that ship has sailed. I think he's accepted from this point on it's just a matter of how much longer he's happy with his current position while being one of, if not the, best in the league at what he does, but never getting a chance to be more than that.

yes, agree with all of this, and he has a rep for being a cranky surly SOB who pisses of his bosses. another reason to love the guy !

lol

Dolphins Fire Two Assistant Coaches

January 09, 2001|By ALEX MARVEZ Staff Writer

DAVIE — Dave Wannstedt's desire to add two longtime friends to his coaching staff resulted in the firing Monday of Dolphins special teams coach Mike Westhoff and offensive line coach Paul Boudreau.

Wannstedt has pegged Carolina offensive line coach Tony Wise to replace Boudreau and Chicago special teams coach Keith Armstrong to replace Westhoff. The Dolphins are expected to officially finalize both hires by week's end.

thanks dave !

Dolphins Fire Two Assistant Coaches

January 09, 2001|By ALEX MARVEZ Staff Writer

DAVIE — Dave Wannstedt's desire to add two longtime friends to his coaching staff resulted in the firing Monday of Dolphins special teams coach Mike Westhoff and offensive line coach Paul Boudreau.

Wannstedt has pegged Carolina offensive line coach Tony Wise to replace Boudreau and Chicago special teams coach Keith Armstrong to replace Westhoff. The Dolphins are expected to officially finalize both hires by week's end.

thanks dave !

I always wondered, was that the Dolphins thank you gift for the whole Kenny O/Marino thing?

Archived