The "C" Word---Catches, Not Captains

flgreen

The 'C' word -- catches, not captains

January, 10, 2012

Jan 10

10:20

AM ET

By Rich Cimini

The Jets' wide receivers (well, one of them anyway) made headlines for all the wrong reasons. Let's put that aside for a moment and focus on what they're paid to do -- catch the football. Here's a 2011 breakdown of the pass catchers, courtesy of ESPN Stats & Info):

Player --- Rec. -- Target -- Drops -- Pct. -- YAC

Keller ...... 65 ...... 116 .......... 3 ......... 56.0 ...... 4.92

Holmes .... 51 ...... 102 .......... 2 ........ 50.0 ..... 3.78

Burress...... 45 ....... 97 .......... 3 ........ 46.4 ..... 3.58

Tomlinson .. 42 ...... 61 ......... 3 ........ 68.9 ..... 9.31

Greene ...... 30 ....... 41 .......... 2 ........ 73.2 ..... 6.93

Kerley ........ 29 ....... 46 .......... 1 ......... 63.0 .....3.69

BACKUPS

McKnight ... 13 ...... 18 .......... 0 ........ 72.2 ....... 9.08

Mason ....... 13 ...... 21 ........... 1 ........ 61.9 ...... 3.15

Turner ........ 8 ....... 15 ........... 1 ........ 53.3 ...... 3.00

Mulligan ..... 5 ........ 8 ............ 0 ........ 62.5 ...... 8.20

Baker .......... 3 ........ 4 ........... 0 ........ 75.0 ...... 4.67

Cumberland . 2 ...... 5 ............1 ........ 40.0 ...... 8.00

Conner ....... 2 ........ 5 ........... 1 ........ 40.0 ...... 4.50

Powell ........ 1 ........ 1 ........... 0 ....... 100.0 ..... 2.00

Slauson ...... 1 ........ 1 ........... 0 ....... 100.0 ..... 5.00

Analysis: The completion percentages are low, especially for Holmes and Burress. Obviously, some of that goes on QB Mark Sanchez, but it also shows an inability to consistently separate from defenders ... There's an alarming lack of explosiveness among the wideouts. In 2010, Holmes made several big plays after the catch, but he averaged only 3.78 yards-after-catch, very low for a starting receiver ... Impressive YAC total for Keller; it ranked ninth among tight ends ... Also an impressive YAC total for Tomlinson; it ranked 13th among running backs. But, remember, he was only a part-time player ... For a rookie, Kerley was very reliable as a slot receiver ... ESPN Stats is conservative on "drops" -- it has to be fairly blatant for it to count as a drop. The Jets were one of the more surhanded teams in the league, ranking seventh in fewest drops.

Certainly agree the Jet receivers had trouble separating from defenders. Plax showed his age and Holmes disappearance is a bit confusing. Is it play calling? Is it the QB? Is it the receivers? Tough to pinpoint, but the team has to address this. Opponents moved their safeties up too many times, daring Sanchez to throw deep.

Obviously, some of that goes on QB Mark Sanchez,

Some of it Rich? Some of it?

Keller's 65 receptions is the most ever by a receiver who's catching balls thrown by Mark Sanchez. Typically his receivers max out at around 55.

But yeah, new slew of WR's, same results - but its the WR's who cant get seperation and not the fact Mark Sanchez cant hit the broad side of a barn.

Some of it Rich? Some of it?

Keller's 65 receptions is the most ever by a receiver who's catching balls thrown by Mark Sanchez. Typically his receivers max out at around 55.

But yeah, new slew of WR's, same results - but its the WR's who cant get seperation and not the fact Mark Sanchez cant hit the broad side of a barn.

JiF, Surprised it took you so long.

So let me guess the 96 passes that Sanchez completed to holmes and burress were all thrown to their back shoulder and didnt allow then to run for any YAC.

And just so you know santonio homles in 5 of his 6 years in the NFL has maxed out at around 55 catches.

JiF, Surprised it took you so long.

So let me guess the 96 passes that Sanchez completed to holmes and burress were all thrown to their back shoulder and didnt allow then to run for any YAC.

And just so you know santonio homles in 5 of his 6 years in the NFL has maxed out at around 55 catches.

I'd say 90% of his passes were inaccurate and they had to make a tough catch.

Holmes has always played on a run first team, with a shaky QB. Big Ben came into his own the year Holmes broke out. And while Holmes maxes out at around 55 catches, that was enough to be the 2nd most receptions on the team his entire career at Pitts (including his rookie season) while he was playing second fiddle to Ward and its not like Ward was catching a ton more...maybe 10, 15 more a year for a possession guy is nothing.

Then he came here and has to play with that pos Mark Sanchez and you know the rest.

Its all relative and very easy to figure out when you dont just look at the surface.

Holmes has always played on a run first team, with a shaky QB. Big Ben came into his own the year Holmes broke out. And while Holmes maxes out at around 55 catches, that was enough to be the 2nd most receptions on the team his entire career at Pitts (including his rookie season) while he was playing second fiddle to Ward and its not like Ward was catching a ton more...maybe 10, 15 more a year for a possession guy is nothing.

Then he came here and has to play with that pos Mark Sanchez and you know the rest.

Its all relative and very easy to figure out when you dont just look at the surface.

Really?

so now big ben is a shaky QB as well.

The Steelers passed for 4100, 3400, 3600, and 4400 yards when holmes was there not as run first as you would think seems more balanced to me.

And Big Ben came into his own the year santonio broke out, really?

in 2009 Ward caught 95 balls, holmes 79, Heath Miller 76, and Mike Wallace had 39 catches for 756 yards, but your are right it was all holmes and not the fact that they had 4 players that played well.

2006 ward 74 holmes 49

2007 ward 71 holmes 52

2008 ward 81 holmes 55

2009 ward 95 holmes 79

yeah holmes was 2nd in receptions just ahead of Miller each year, but shouldnt he be considering he was the #2 receiver on the team?

You are right Its all relative and very easy to figure out when you dont just look at the surface.

Really?

so now big ben is a shaky QB as well.

The Steelers passed for 4100, 3400, 3600, and 4400 yards when holmes was there not as run first as you would think seems more balanced to me.

And Big Ben came into his own the year santonio broke out, really?

in 2009 Ward caught 95 balls, holmes 79, Heath Miller 76, and Mike Wallace had 39 catches for 756 yards, but your are right it was all holmes and not the fact that they had 4 players that played well.

2006 ward 74 holmes 49

2007 ward 71 holmes 52

2008 ward 81 holmes 55

2009 ward 95 holmes 79

yeah holmes was 2nd in receptions just ahead of Miller each year, but shouldnt he be considering he was the #2 receiver on the team?

You are right Its all relative and very easy to figure out when you dont just look at the surface.

Ummm, you realize that you are proving my point right in almost every fashion,right?

But to answer your Big Ben question: yes, he was very shaky his his first 3-4 seasons in the league, when they were a run first team. He wasnt Sanchez sh*tty, but pretty sh*tty. The year he broke out, was the year Holmes broke out and appranetly the rest of his team did too...go figure. Ward was their possession guy, Holmes was their big play guy. Seems pretty obvious to me.

And I'm not even sure what this has to do with Mark Sanchez and not having receivers with high reception counts because he sucks. Isnt that the topic here? Receivers dont have a lot catches says Rich Cimini, well yeah, because Sanchez sucks and cant hit open receivers.

Ummm, you realize that you are proving my point right in almost every fashion,right?

But to answer your Big Ben question: yes, he was very shaky his his first 3-4 seasons in the league, when they were a run first team. He wasnt Sanchez sh*tty, but pretty sh*tty. The year he broke out, was the year Holmes broke out and appranetly the rest of his team did too...go figure. Ward was their possession guy, Holmes was their big play guy. Seems pretty obvious to me.

And I'm not even sure what this has to do with Mark Sanchez and not having receivers with high reception counts because he sucks. Isnt that the topic here? Receivers dont have a lot catches says Rich Cimini, well yeah, because Sanchez sucks and cant hit open receivers.

Yeah we should all remember the year Big Ben broke out, that's because we lost in OT to them in the divisional round...because we missed not one, but two freaking field goals

Lmao the over reaction here is hysterical. 90%....Hahaha hate goggles are in full force on this site when it comes to mark. It almost makes me smile knowing some of you will have to suffer watching him start again next year. He played bad but it has gotten way way over done. This TEAM was bad. The OL was bad. The WR's were bad. The COACHING was bad.The KICKING was bad.

Mark is gonna have one more season like it or not. Would be nice if Jet fans stood behind him for that time.

Um no I am not proving your point at all I keep proving my point continuously.

You say "big ben was shaky in his first 3-4 seasons when they were a run first team", but the truth is in his 3rd season in the NFL the Steerlers were the 9th ranked passing offense in the NFL.

you say "The year he broke out, was the year Holmes broke out"

but the truth is big ben had already thrown for over 4000 yards 3 years earlier when they had the 9th ranked passing offense in the NFL.

you next statement is just absolutely laughable when you say "and appranetly the rest of his team did too...go figure"

Are you really trying to say that Hines Ward broke out because of holmes? That is ridiculous, and beyond absurd.

holmes will never be half the receiver that Hines Ward is. Ward has caught more than 90 balls 4 times in his career with a high of 112 and has caught double digit TDs something holmes, who has a high of 8, has never done in his career.

You say " Ward was their possession guy, Holmes was their big play guy. Seems pretty obvious to me."

If holmes is the big play guy then why has he never caught more than 8 td passes in his career?

Mike Wallce caught 10 in his second year with the Steelers, first as a starter, and makes way more big plays for the steelers than holmes ever did. Seems like the Steelers knew they had something better when the traded holmes away.

You say "And I'm not even sure what this has to do with Mark Sanchez and not having receivers with high reception counts because he sucks. Isnt that the topic here? Receivers dont have a lot catches says Rich Cimini, well yeah, because Sanchez sucks and cant hit open receivers."

No the point here is that you want to put it all on Sanchez when maybe our Wrs just arent that good. This is also something that Cimini mentions when he states "There's an alarming lack of explosiveness among the wideouts. In 2010, Holmes made several big plays after the catch, but he averaged only 3.78 yards-after-catch, very low for a starting receiver"

santonio holmes is supposed to be our #1 receiver and playmaker but he has only caught more than 55 balls once in his career.

If he is our #1 receiver where would you rank him amongst the other #1 receivers in the NFL? Is he top 10? top 20?

Lmao the over reaction here is hysterical. 90%....Hahaha hate goggles are in full force on this site when it comes to mark. It almost makes me smile knowing some of you will have to suffer watching him start again next year. He played bad but it has gotten way way over done. This TEAM was bad. The OL was bad. The WR's were bad. The COACHING was bad.The KICKING was bad.

Mark is gonna have one more season like it or not. Would be nice if Jet fans stood behind him for that time.

Agreed..

You say "big ben was shaky in his first 3-4 seasons when they were a run first team", but the truth is in his 3rd season in the NFL the Steerlers were the 9th ranked passing offense in the NFL.

but the truth is big ben had already thrown for over 4000 yards 3 years earlier when they had the 9th ranked passing offense in the NFL.

you next statement is just absolutely laughable when you say "and appranetly the rest of his team did too...go figure"

are you really tryiny to say that Hines Ward broke out because of holmes? that is ridiculous, and beyond absurd.

holmes will never be half the receiver that Hines Ward is. Ward has caught more than 90 balls 4 times in his career with a high of 112 and has caught double digit TDs something holmes who has a high of 8 has never done in his career.

You say " Ward was their possession guy, Holmes was their big play guy. Seems pretty obvious to me."

If holmes is the big play guy then why has he never caught more than 8 td passes in his career?

Mike Wallce caught 10 in his second year with the Steelers, first as a starter and makes way more big plays for the steelers than holmes ever did. seems like the Steelers knew they had something better when the traded holmes.

You say "And I'm not even sure what this has to do with Mark Sanchez and not having receivers with high reception counts because he sucks. Isnt that the topic here? Receivers dont have a lot catches says Rich Cimini, well yeah, because Sanchez sucks and cant hit open receivers."

No the point here is that you want to put it all on Sanchez when maybe our Wrs just arent that good. This is also something that Cimini mentions when he states "There's an alarming lack of explosiveness among the wideouts. In 2010, Holmes made several big plays after the catch, but he averaged only 3.78 yards-after-catch, very low for a starting receiver"

santonio holmes is supposed to be our #1 receiver and playmaker but he has only caught maore than 55 balls once in his career.

If he is our #1 receiver where would you rank him amongst the othe #1 receivers in the NFL? Is he top 10? top 20?

Dude...just drop it haha there is no arguing with the anti-Sanchez group on this site. Unfortunately ill be first to admit there is no leg to stand on when it comes to supporting him either, I guess its just faith. Im ok with that though, I want to support this guy while he's here because he got us to somewhere we haven't been in a while....twice! If it works out then people will come around, if not then they'll say they were right be proud of it and we'll fall back into mediocrity with no franchise QB for the next 15 years. Right where it seems some people are eager to get back to.

I know he will. And I'm used to it. I have had to watch a decade of horrible QB'ing and 30 years of incompetent Football. Whats another year? As long as he wears Green and White, I stand behind him. I hope he wins us a SB...but I'm just fully aware of how incredibely horrible he is so I'm setting my expectations really really low.

And, this team was not bad, the team was average because of Sanchez. We were 8-5 til Mark threw the season away. Easily should have made the playoffs. WIth an above average QB, we're talking about the divisional round right now and not debating how bad Mark Sanchez is...still.

Dude...just drop it haha there is no arguing with the anti-Sanchez group on this site. Unfortunately ill be first to admit there is no leg to stand on when it comes to supporting him either, I guess its just faith. Im ok with that though, I want to support this guy while he's here because he got us to somewhere we haven't been in a while....twice! If it works out then people will come around, if not then they'll say they were right be proud of it and we'll fall back into mediocrity with no franchise QB for the next 15 years. Right where it seems some people are eager to get back to.

I know. It just makes me laugh that everybody seems to think we have such great weapons on offense and its all Sanchez fault. They guy is inconsistent and needs to improve, but the talent around him needs to improve as well.

Are you really trying to say that Hines Ward broke out because of holmes? That is ridiculous, and beyond absurd.

holmes will never be half the receiver that Hines Ward is. Ward has caught more than 90 balls 4 times in his career with a high of 112 and has caught double digit TDs something holmes, who has a high of 8, has never done in his career.

Mike Wallce caught 10 in his second year with the Steelers, first as a starter, and makes way more big plays for the steelers than holmes ever did. Seems like the Steelers knew they had something better when the traded holmes away.

santonio holmes is supposed to be our #1 receiver and playmaker but he has only caught more than 55 balls once in his career.

If he is our #1 receiver where would you rank him amongst the other #1 receivers in the NFL? Is he top 10? top 20?

Too much to disect and agrue. Its boring, I've done it 100 times before and you are making sh*t up that I never even said so it pointless. Besides, it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that if you are WR for the NY Jets and Mark Sanchez is your QB, you can expect around 50 catches a year because he is a special kind of suck.

I know. It just makes me laugh that everybody seems to think we have such great weapons on offense and its all Sanchez fault. They guy is inconsistent and needs to improve, but the talent around him needs to improve as well.

3 years of Mark, 3 years of tweaks to the offense, 3 years of the same exact production from the receiving core.

This isnt trivial.

3 years of Mark, 3 years of tweaks to the offense, 3 years of the same exact production from the receiving core.

This isnt trivial.

3 years of tweaks?! Realllyyyy? Hahaha by tweaks do you mean changing our WR core each year, losing marks favorite target (yes, Braylon), making no offensive adjustments, and focusing on getting more cornerbacks?

Too much to disect and agrue. Its boring, I've done it 100 times before and you are making sh*t up that I never even said so it pointless. Besides, it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that if you are WR for the NY Jets and Mark Sanchez is your QB, you can expect around 50 catches a year because he is a special kind of suck.

Tell me one thing that I made up that you never said???

Whats boring is that you try to place all the blame on Sanchez at every turn...

I know he will. And I'm used to it. I have had to watch a decade of horrible QB'ing and 30 years of incompetent Football. Whats another year? As long as he wears Green and White, I stand behind him. I hope he wins us a SB...but I'm just fully aware of how incredibely horrible he is so I'm setting my expectations really really low.

And, this team was not bad, the team was average because of Sanchez. We were 8-5 til Mark threw the season away. Easily should have made the playoffs. WIth an above average QB, we're talking about the divisional round right now and not debating how bad Mark Sanchez is...still.

JIF

During the last decade the Jets havent drafted a WR in the first 3 rounds of the draft, maybe just maybe that has something to do we all the horrible QBing we have seen.

3 years of tweaks?! Realllyyyy? Hahaha by tweaks do you mean changing our WR core each year, losing marks favorite target (yes, Braylon), making no offensive adjustments, and focusing on getting more cornerbacks?

Yes, 3 years of tweaks. First season, mediocre WR's. They gey Braylon. Braylon production - right in line with every other WR's production under Sanchez. Same for the following season when they added Holmes and LT. And your wrong about him being his favorite target. Dont have the stat or the article but Holmes was targeted almost twice as many times as BE once he joined the team. 3rd year, Plax and Mason, obviously one didnt work out, I think the other did and the production was right in line as the typical 3rd option under Sanchez.

Tell me one thing that I made up that you never said???

Whats boring is that you try to place all the blame on Sanchez at every turn...

You implied a coulple things I didnt say...dont really feel like reading it all but one was along the lines of Holmes made Ward and then you asked why he didnt have more TD's as a big play threat, yet I've seen you argue how BE was our big play guy and he didnt have more either, in fact, he had less. And thats not even a good example anyway, YPC is, which Holmes led the league in that season.

It a waste of time because your points are wrong, irrelevant and dont have anything to do with WR's producing under Sanchez.

<3 u

JIF

During the last decade the Jets havent drafted a WR in the first 3 rounds of the draft, maybe just maybe that has something to do we all the horrible QBing we have seen.

Cotch has caught 90 balls as a WR in this league. Never came close to that with Sanchez.

Yes, 3 years of tweaks. First season, mediocre WR's. They gey Braylon. Braylon production - right in line with every other WR's production under Sanchez. Same for the following season when they added Holmes and LT. And your wrong about him being his favorite target. Dont have the stat or the article but Holmes was targeted almost twice as many times as BE once he joined the team. 3rd year, Plax and Mason, obviously one didnt work out, I think the other did and the production was right in line as the typical 3rd option under Sanchez.

You implied a coulple things I didnt say...dont really feel like reading it all but one was along the lines of Holmes made Ward and then you asked why he didnt have more TD's as a big play threat, yet I've seen you argue how BE was our big play guy and he didnt have more either, in fact, he had less. And thats not even a good example anyway, YPC is, which Holmes led the league in that season.

It a waste of time because your points are wrong, irrelevant and dont have anything to do with WR's producing under Sanchez.

<3 u

Cotch has caught 90 balls as a WR in this league. Never came close to that with Sanchez.

You points are wrong and irrelevant, proven again by the fact that Cotchery has never caught 90 balls, and now you are making up things I didnt say.

I think we will agree to disagree..

You points are wrong and irrelevant, proven again by the fact that Cotchery has never caught 90 balls, and now you are making up things I didnt say.

My bad he's caught 82 passes in back to back years, damn those extra 8 passes Then 71. Enter Sanchez. 57 and 41. Typical production of a Sanchez receiver. Point proven again.

I like how you glossed over Holmes leading the league in YPC too.

Face it. Sanchez is horrible. One of the worst QB's in the league. Its ok. I still <3 you and the Jets.

Cotch caught 70 and 80+ several years in a row before Sanchez arrived. I don't think he hit 90, but that doesn't change the fact that he went from a dependable 80+ reception receiver to 40 to 50 catches with Sanchez.

My bad he's caught 82 passes in back to back years, damn those extra 8 passes Then 71. Enter Sanchez. 57 and 41. Typical production of a Sanchez receiver. Point proven again.

I like how you glossed over Holmes leading the league in YPC too.

Face it. Sanchez is horrible. One of the worst QB's in the league. Its ok. I still <3 you and the Jets.

Face it you just hate Sanchez. He is not the only problem with the team.

8 Passes, funny how you round up when trying to discredit Sanchez.

Was it just Enter Sanchez?

How about enter Keller!

Enter Edwards!

Enter Holmes!

Should cotchery catch the same amount of balls when he goes from being the #2 target to the #3 or #4 target?

And I didnt gloss over holmes leading the league in YPC as I clearly stated that Mike Wallace is a bigger playmaker in the post you didnt read

Mikle Wallace YPC > holmes YPC in the same steeler offense.

Cotch caught 70 and 80+ several years in a row before Sanchez arrived. I don't think he hit 90, but that doesn't change the fact that he went from a dependable 80+ reception receiver to 40 to 50 catches with Sanchez.

But didnt he also go from being the #2 target before Sanchez got here to being the #3 or #4 target after Sanchez Arrived?

Should he have caught the same amount of passes as he was falling down the depth chart?

Face it you just hate Sanchez. He is not the only problem with the team.

8 Passes, funny how you round up when trying to discredit Sanchez.

Was it just Enter Sanchez?

How about enter Keller!

Enter Edwards!

Enter Holmes!

Should cotchery catch the same amount of balls when he goes from being the #2 target to the #3 or #4 target?

And I didnt gloss over holmes leading the league in YPC as I clearly stated that Mike Wallace is a bigger playmaker in the post you didnt read

Mikle Wallace YPC > holmes YPC in the same steeler offense.

I dont even know what I'm arguing with you anymore about.

Yes. I hate Sanchez. I find him to be utter garbage at the QB position and he's a little sulky pussy who I have a hard time rooting for which sucks because he plays for my favorite team. Not to mention the fact he's 90% the problem on the team.

Agree 100%.

Good to see that there's even people who remember than Roethlisberger had his hand held for a few years in this league. Sure, he was still better than Sanchez but uh...yah.

Get a QB and our pass catching group can almost be described as exciting.

i would honestly like nothing more then to see a healthy manning come in to this offense, with schotty and santonio and hunter and every other scape goat run over by the bus de Sanchez and then spend the whole next season telling everyone to eat a big black veiny cock, while watching the Jets win the division

he's 90% the problem on the team.

thats just funny right there. Good, no. Only 10% of the problem is with the other 52 players and coaching, just funny as hell. thanks for the laugh at work.

Glad I could help. You know what they say, satire reflects a significant quantum of truth and reality.

Agree 100%.

Good to see that there's even people who remember than Roethlisberger had his hand held for a few years in this league. Sure, he was still better than Sanchez but uh...yah.

Get a QB and our pass catching group can almost be described as exciting.

The Jets are still playing Football with 20 other QB's right now. Thats how bad Mark Sanchez is.

i would honestly like nothing more then to see a healthy manning come in to this offense, with schotty and santonio and hunter and every other scape goat run over by the bus de Sanchez and then spend the whole next season telling everyone to eat a big black veiny cock, while watching the Jets win the division

This. It would be awesome.

Archived