Dunbar - What does he do for us?

BornJetsFan1983

Dunbar (Louisiana State/Opelousas, LA) joins the Jets after spending the last six seasons (2006-11) as the defensive line coach for the Minnesota Vikings. During his time in Minnesota, the Vikings defense allowed the fewest rushing yards in the NFL (8,141) and ranked sixth in sacks (242). The Vikings rush defense was the best in the NFL each season from 2006-2008, marking the first time since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger that a team has ranked number one in rushing defense three consecutive seasons. Under Dunbar’s leadership, DT Kevin Williams was selected to five Pro Bowls, DE Jared Allen was chosen four times and DT Pat Williams earned the honor three times. Dunbar played for the Pittsburgh Steelers (1990), New Orleans Saints (1992-93) and Arizona Cardinals (1994-95) during his NFL career. Head Coach Rex Ryan served as his position coach in 1994 with Arizona.

thats the write up for the guy...so what should we expect to see? I mean REx came in and took mangini parts and made a top 5 D, can we see some kind of immediate change in the Defensive line too? I mean the Viking had some players but is alot of it coaching? I would love to see this guy get our guys really going again, it seems that we got alot weaker the last two seasons.

Can Dunbar maybe make some positional suggestions for the draft and FA, or does he just teach a different attack that gets us a bunch of sacks? Whats the deal, who knows? Big Wilk get like 25 sacks?

best case they get a little more push with 3 or 4 rushers on 3rd and Long.

the production would have to come from Pace, Maybin, Westerman and a draft pick (Melvin INgram?)

Wilk is not getting 25 sacks because of the new DL coach. if he gets 5 or 6 that's a great year for a big man.

Dunbar (Louisiana State/Opelousas, LA) joins the Jets after spending the last six seasons (2006-11) as the defensive line coach for the Minnesota Vikings. During his time in Minnesota, the Vikings defense allowed the fewest rushing yards in the NFL (8,141) and ranked sixth in sacks (242). The Vikings rush defense was the best in the NFL each season from 2006-2008, marking the first time since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger that a team has ranked number one in rushing defense three consecutive seasons. Under Dunbar’s leadership, DT Kevin Williams was selected to five Pro Bowls, DE Jared Allen was chosen four times and DT Pat Williams earned the honor three times. Dunbar played for the Pittsburgh Steelers (1990), New Orleans Saints (1992-93) and Arizona Cardinals (1994-95) during his NFL career. Head Coach Rex Ryan served as his position coach in 1994 with Arizona.

thats the write up for the guy...so what should we expect to see? I mean REx came in and took mangini parts and made a top 5 D, can we see some kind of immediate change in the Defensive line too? I mean the Viking had some players but is alot of it coaching? I would love to see this guy get our guys really going again, it seems that we got alot weaker the last two seasons.

Can Dunbar maybe make some positional suggestions for the draft and FA, or does he just teach a different attack that gets us a bunch of sacks? Whats the deal, who knows? Big Wilk get like 25 sacks?

Rex is a DLine guy too. Never been to a practice, but I wouldnt be surprised if he spent most of his time with that unit. Its the strength of the defense. My guess is they probably teach technique the same fashion. He had success in Minn w/ some talent. Hopefully he can make guys like Ellis into our version of Kevin Williams.

best case they get a little more push with 3 or 4 rushers on 3rd and Long.

the production would have to come from Pace, Maybin, Westerman and a draft pick (Melvin INgram?)

Wilk is not getting 25 sacks because of the new DL coach. if he gets 5 or 6 that's a great year for a big man.

Minnesota had a top ranked run defense while Dunbar was there. I expect him to help Wilkerson and Ellis in perfecting their technique against the run more than any major pass rush explosion. Ellis in particular had a pretty tough time against the run a few games. It was probably easier for Carrier to supervise vets than the two rooks. Having a huge body like Ellis clog up the middle is a key to getting back from very good defense to dominating like they were in 2009 before Jenkins got hurt.

Archived