Courtney Upshaw or Melvin Ingram?

bitonti

OLB at 16  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Given only these options, who would you prefer the Jets pick?

• Courtney Upshaw, Alabama
    • Melvin Ingram, South Carolina

it should also be noted that John Conner and McElroy are the only 2 SEC players on the Jets. So this whole thread might not be realistic if the Jets don't want SEC players for whatever reason.

Curious: Why would the Jets not want SEC players?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Curious: Why would the Jets not want SEC players?

I'm not sure they don't want SEC players...maybe more of an organizational structural issue...and I don't know how they're organized...maybe the scouting staff assigned to that area/conference does not have the stature or the influence to convince Tanny that "this SEC" player is better than "that Big 10" player...

Whatever the reason they sure do not draft many players from the SEC.

So bit do you really think Upshaw can play the cover roles he might be asked to play in the NFL? Do you think 4-3 teams will ignore him?

Can't help but notice how rarely he's asked to work away from the LOS in college even as a LB.

Yes I do think he can cover RB and TE. Not Gronk level TE but no one can really do that. He compares really nicely with late career Bryan Thomas. I don't think he's quite as fast as BT (who ran a 4.4 coming out of UAB) but he's a solid sideline to sideline player. He's not a 20 sack a year guy like Demarcus Ware but the team needs solid players too.

I really like both Curry and Illoka in rd 2 or 3. They could do alot worse than those players. Curry is a project at OLB but he's probably the best pass rusher in this draft, not including Coples. Iloka fits Rex's System perfectly and i think he will impress alot of people at the combine.

Iloka Seems like he is already getting alot of attention. Do you agree with the early 2nd projection with a good combine?

According to SI.com draft analyst Tony Pauline, Boise State S George Iloka is currently "the top free safety on draft boards around the league."

Alabama's Mark Barron and Notre Dame's Harrison Smith are considered strong safeties. Iloka is an imposing free safety prospect at 6-foot-4, 222 with a sub-4.5 forty on record. Pauline expects Iloka to be an early second-round pick if he runs well and does 25 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press, as expected. Iloka could be a tight end-buster kind of safety with the ability to defend athletic TEs like Jimmy Graham and Aaron Hernandez.

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football

George Iloka, S, Boise State -- In a position group lacking talent, Iloka impressed teams during the Senior Bowl. He's currently the top free safety on draft boards around the league. If Iloka performs as expected (4.50 seconds and 25 reps on the bench at 225 pounds) he'll likely secure a spot in the early part of the second round

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tony_pauline/02/22/2012.scouting.combine.preview/index.html#ixzz1nH6abbI6

Iloka Seems like he is already getting alot of attention. Do you agree with the early 2nd projection with a good combine?

yes, he made a lot of plays in Senior Bowl practices. not just hitting but also ballhawking INTs. rare player to be that size and that fast.

yes, he made a lot of plays in Senior Bowl practices. not just hitting but also ballhawking INTs. rare player to be that size and that fast.

Why is everybody so enamored with Baron then? Seems like Iloka is more the type of player we need. Unfortunately it looks like we may need to trade up to get him.

Alright, so here's what I'm thinking now...

We're all happy to see Upshaw drop from stud 3-4 OLB to a possibly Bryan Thomas type. Here's some things that has me balking at even that...

- You'll be shocked to find out that Thomas was a college DE. Yep.

- You'll be shocked to notice that he's 2-3 inches taller than Upshaw at 6'4."

- Thomas is probably a significantly better raw athlete (famously ran a sub 4.5).

How much of this can be covered by Upshaw playing LB in college and him being a more aggressive football player? How is he a better candidate for the Bryan Thomas role than Dont'a Hightower?

We're all happy to see Upshaw drop from stud 3-4 OLB to a possibly Bryan Thomas type. Here's some things that has me balking at even that...

to clarify, I think he can be high end Bryan Thomas, the year he got 8 sacks in manginis D. He definitely has more pass rush upside than Thomas. When I say BT i mean it in as opposed to Demarcus Ware. Upshaw is not a 20 sack a year guy.

the (KEY) difference is Bryan Thomas took 4 years to start or even contribute. ditto Pace who was basically worthless most of his career in AZ. In fact if memory serves Bryan Thomas was so raw, he couldn't even feed himself properly and was living on McDonalds the first couple years. He was malnourished and the team had to cook all his meals at one point.

Upshaw isn't that raw. He's coming from a huge program. He should be ready to start at OLB day 1. you are getting 3 or more seasons out of the guy while a conversion prospect would be playing specials and (hopefully) learning how to stand up.

also we don't know what Upshaw runs in terms of athleticism. 4.6 at 270 is just as nice as 4.4 at 240. the guy is carrying 30 more pounds of rip.

Well Thomas ran his 4.4 at 250+, and I have lots of trouble seeing Upshaw as a 4.6 guy. That'd be great though and it'd seal how wrong I am about him at least during the draft process...It'd be great if he helped knock Fletcher Cox down to us somehow.

I agree with everything you say up there except STILL this insistence that a DE/OLB prospect = project if he's a college DE. Just last year two teams found rookie studs who made the DE to OLB transition, and top notch players like Suggs, Ware, Merriman, and Orakpo all jumped in and kicked a$$. Both Pace and Thomas took to OLB the first season they were asked to play the position.

Upshaw was too much of a pussy to rum...Probably learned that from his head coach

yes his coach the pussy who is king of all College football.

I dont understand why we have to tear down 1 player to build the other one up. They are both sure fire picks, and probably both good (not great) players in the league.

yes his coach the pussy who is king of all College football.

I dont understand why we have to tear down 1 player to build the other one up. They are both sure fire picks, and probably both good (not great) players in the league.

Considering where the questions about his game lie it would have been nice to see him work out. He's got status enough to hold off until his pro day but I don't like the choise.

OTOH I think he might fall to 16. Someone good will...I'd prefer Cox or Perry, but that doesn't mean much.

jonE what would you think of these players if Upshaw went to SC and Ingram went to Bama? :character0069:

Dude, I hate Carolina....I'm a Clemson fan

I liked Upshaw prior to today....was hoping we'd draft the guy

Now, not as much

FWIW I'm a Jets fan...If the dude played for Patriots University, and we drafted him to wear green, I'd be a fan.

It's all about The Jets for me

Courtney Upshaw - DL - Player

Sporting News' Russ Lande and NFL Network's Charley Casserly both noted that Alabama DE/OLB Courtney Upshaw exhibited disappointing edge-rushing ability during field drills at the Scouting Combine. "I just didn't see the explosion that you want to see from a pass rusher off the edge," wrote Casserly. Added Lande, "(Upshaw) was upright and stiff in drops, could not flip his hips to change direction quickly and lacked the explosiveness and burst that NFL teams wanted to see." Upshaw was a 3-4 outside linebacker at Alabama, but he may be ticketed for 4-3 left defensive end in the pros.

http://www.rotoworld...ws/nfl/football

5. Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama, 6-1 1/2, 272; new likely draft position: Late first round or high second round. We were disappointed with Upshaw. He struggled during the linebacker drills, where he was required to move his feet and show that he could handle playing off the ball in pass coverage. He was upright and stiff in drops, could not flip his hips to change direction quickly and lacked the explosiveness and burst that NFL teams wanted to see. In our view, his performance clearly showed that he is a power player who lacks the explosiveness and speed to be a threat as an edge pass rusher.

Read more: http://aol.sportingn...y#ixzz1npwu2wSX

these comments "he didn't work out well in drills" are extremely subjective. If Upshaw is there at 16 it would be real tough to pass.

He would be, yes. That doesn't throw the red flags out, and a team drafting him to play 3-4 OLB should scout him thoroughly. He really does play more like a Freeney-esque DE more than anything else. I think he's more of a fit for the Pats' 4-3 rather than our D. In fact, I think that is the ideal D for him.

Quick question: Have you heard about any of the other 3-4 OLB prospects out there did? Did Chandler Jones go through LB drills? Jonathan Massaqoui? Jake Bequette...Cam Johnson...Andre Branch?...Mercilus? I have so little idea of what happened at combine.

I think this is the exact reason why the Jets are going to bring back Bryan Thomas, or sign a guy like Jarett Johnson. We don't want to be forced into drafting for need, rather the best player available.

I have no problem with their decision. I'd rather grab a guy like Poe, or Cox and have a super unit DL

Archived