Courtney Upshaw or Melvin Ingram?

bitonti

OLB at 16  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Given only these options, who would you prefer the Jets pick?

• Courtney Upshaw, Alabama
    • Melvin Ingram, South Carolina

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OLB all day err day.

Working out like Vernon Gholston doesn't mean he's Vernon Gholston. It means he threw up some exciting numbers at the combine.

I agree. I like this guy much more than I do upshaw and I even prefer him over Ingram. I've watched some film on all three and I think Perry's the most explosive.

I agree. I like this guy much more than I do upshaw and I even prefer him over Ingram. I've watched some film on all three and I think Perry's the most explosive.

It's not even close. Best size too...Willie McGinest size...really well coached player too...has a "professional swag" if yo will. Tweet that hsit Ryan, tweet it!

both of these players were there at 16. I took Ingram, I think he's got more upside. but it was tough

1. Indianapolis Colts: Shane P. Hallam, DraftCountdown.com

QB ANDREW LUCK, STANFORD

2. Washington Redskins (f/STL): Joe Everett, RookieDraft.com

QB ROBERT GRIFFIN III, BAYLOR

3. Minnesota Vikings: Scott Wright, DraftCountdown.com

OT MATT KALIL, USC

4. Cleveland Browns: Matt Bitonti, DraftDaddy.com

WR JUSTIN BLACKMON, OKLAHOMA ST

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Shane P. Hallam, DraftCountdown.com

CB MORRIS CLAIBORNE, LSU

6. St. Louis Rams (f/WAS): Joe Everett, RookieDraft.com

RB TRENT RICHARDSON, ALABAMA

7. Jacksonville Jaguars: Scott Wright, DraftCountdown.com

DE QUINTON COPLES, NORTH CAROLINA

8. Miami Dolphins: Matt Bitonti, DraftDaddy.com

DT FLETCHER COX, MISSISSIPPI STATE

9. Carolina Panthers: Shane P. Hallam, DraftCountdown.com

DT MICHAEL BROCKERS, LSU

10. Buffalo Bills: Joe Everett, RookieDraft.com

OT REILLY REIFF, IOWA

11. Kansas City Chiefs: Scott Wright, DraftCountdown.com

DT DONTARI POE, MEMPHIS

12. Seattle Seahawks: Matt Bitonti, DraftDaddy.com

QB RYAN TANNEHILL, TEXAS A&M

13. Arizona Cardinals: Shane P. Hallam, DraftCountdown.com

OG DAVID DECASTRO, STANFORD

14. Dallas Cowboys: Joe Everett, RookieDraft.com

CB DRE KIRKPATRICK, ALABAMA

15. Philadelphia Eagles: Scott Wright, DraftCountdown.com

LB LUKE KUECHLY, BOSTON COLLEGE

16. New York Jets: Matt Bitonti, DraftDaddy.com

DE/LB MELVIN INGRAM, SOUTH CAROLINA

here's the rest

17. Cincinnati Bengals (f/OAK): Cordy Glenn, OG, Georgia (Hallam)

18. San Diego Chargers: Nick Perry, OLB, USC (Everett)

19. Chicago Bears: Courtney Upshaw, DE, Alabama (Wright)

20. Tennessee Titans: Dont’a Hightower, ILB, Alabama (Bitonti)

21. Cincinnati Bengals: Mark Barron, S, Alabama (Hallam)

22. Cleveland Browns (f/ATL): Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford (Everett)

23. Detroit Lions: Mike Adams, OT, Ohio St. (Wright)

24. Pittsburgh Steelers: Devon Still, DE, Penn St. (Bitonti)

25. Denver Broncos: Jerel Worthy, DT, Michigan St. (Hallam)

26. Houston Texans: Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame (Everett)

27. New England Patriots (f/NO): Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor (Wright)

28. Green Bay Packers: Whitney Mercilus, OLB, Illinois (Bitonti)

29. Baltimore Ravens: Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin (Hallam)

30. San Francisco 49ers: Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech (Everett)

31. New England Patriots: Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama (Wright)

32. New York Giants: Vinny Curry, DE, Marshall (Bitonti)

there is a (2 hour) podcast with our comments here:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown/2012/03/14/draft-countdown

both of these players were there at 16. I took Ingram, I think he's got more upside. but it was tough

Ingram over Perry is tough. Both over Upshaw isn't. 11 is past the point where Poe has to fall for us to make a move up.

Thanks for the Senior Bowl story btw. Hysterical.

For the kind of person who can use numbers, sure. For the kind of person who pops a chubby when Saban calls Upshaw "the meanest football player I've ever coached," I fear not.

agree with this sentiment and i was very close to picking Upshaw for that reason (actually voted for Upshaw in this thread, way back when)

in this situation Tanny would defer to Rex's opinion. Both of these players were at the Senior Bowl, Rex saw them both, with his own eyes, in the same practices. Rex might like Upshaw more for the "meanest" Factor. I personally would be happy (thrilled) with either.

in this situation Tanny would defer to Rex's opinion.

Not a chance. There was a time when this would have been true. Not anymore. Tannenbaum is never ever going to defer to Rex's eyes over numbers with his own a$$ actually on the line.

Curry killed at pro day so he's back in the mix for Jets too. Maybe too early for 16 but problem he's probably a late first early second value. Yeah I'll admit defeat, Ingram will be gone by 10 latest. I still like Upshaw a lot and he'll be there. 3/29 will be a huge day for him. Perry is a bit of an enigma to me.

Curry killed at pro day so he's back in the mix for Jets too. Maybe too early for 16 but problem he's probably a late first early second value. Yeah I'll admit defeat, Ingram will be gone by 10 latest. I still like Upshaw a lot and he'll be there. 3/29 will be a huge day for him. Perry is a bit of an enigma to me.

With Williams probably going to Buffalo I dont see them drafting Ingram at 10

With Williams probably going to Buffalo I dont see them drafting Ingram at 10

No I mean he'll be gone regardless by around 10 latest. You have Jags, Carolina and Miami prior to that and you have Seattle at 12. I'm saying if not one of those teams somebody will be trading up, around 10... the latest. And I still wouldn't completely rule out Buffalo.

No I mean he'll be gone regardless by around 10 latest. You have Jags, Carolina and Miami prior to that and you have Seattle at 12. I'm saying if not one of those teams somebody will be trading up, around 10... the latest. And I still wouldn't completely rule out Buffalo.

Depends on what Miami does at QB a lot of people have Coples being taken there you never know. Carolina are the favorites for Poe at this point but Jags and Seattle are two teams that could. I know all of this is speculation but I personally think Ingram has a good shot of being available at 16

Depends on what Miami does at QB a lot of people have Coples being taken there you never know. Carolina are the favorites for Poe at this point but Jags and Seattle are two teams that could. I know all of this is speculation but I personally think Ingram has a good shot of being available at 16

agree. if Ingram makes it past Jac at 7, he could fall to Az and Dal at 13/14. and those teams have other needs. He's not really a great fit for the 4-3 defense. I guess you could stand him up like Orakpo.

Buffalo pursuing Mario Williams also takes another DE needy team out of the mix.

Players like Fletcher Cox and Ryan tannehill are also key. If they go before 16 it almost definately pushes one of Ingram/Upshaw down to 16.

agree. if Ingram makes it past Jac at 7, he could fall to Az and Dal at 13/14. and those teams have other needs. He's not really a great fit for the 4-3 defense. I guess you could stand him up like Orakpo.

Buffalo pursuing Mario Williams also takes another DE needy team out of the mix.

Players like Fletcher Cox and Ryan tannehill are also key. If they go before 16 it almost definately pushes one of Ingram/Upshaw down to 16.

Last week I was arguing the same thing. I'm just starting to see more and more people ranking Ingram as the top pass rusher in the draft. FYI, here's me arguing the same point you guys are making on a different draft site, I've just sorta cooled on the idea as less realistic.

Charlie Casserly: He goes 16 to Jets

Scott Wright (NFL Countdown): He goes 16 to the Jets

Drafttek.com: He goes to the Jets

Charles Davis: he goes 13 to the Cardinals

Draftsite.com: 22 to the Browns

Mel Kiper: 10 to Bills

CBSsports: 18 to the Chargers

1) So you basically have 5 possible teams in the hunt...

Colts – taking Andrew Luck

Browns – Taking Robert Griffin after trade

Vikings – Broke team record for sacks last year, set with Allen, Robinson, Griffen, Ballard,

St. Louis Rams – Jake Long and drafted Robert Quinn in the first round last year, need offensive help around Bradford

Tampa Buccaneers – Took two DE's with the first two picks last year

Washington Redskins – 34 team set with Kerrigan and Orakpo

Jacksonville Jaguars – POSSIBLE...BUT Marularky is an Offensive coach w/ a team that has no weapons, Mincy is solid while the other side was riddled w/ injuries

Carolina Panthers – POSSIBLE...BUT they have Johnson on 1 side with the slight emergence of Hardy on the other

Miami Dolphins – POSSIBLE...BUT they have Cameron Wake on one side already

Buffalo Bills – POSSIBLE...BUT...well it's possible

Kansas City Chiefs – Hali & Houson

Seattle Seahawks – POSSIBLE...BUT...well it's possible

Arizona Cardinals – Haven't seen one mock with Arz taking a passrusher, Acho, Schofield, Bradley and Haggans with bigger holes to fill

Dallas Cowboys – Ware & Spencer with solid depth

Philadelphia Eagles – Babin, Cole, Graham, Trapp

2)...Within those 5 teams looking, (3) are 4-3 Defenses.

3) Coples is widely regarded as the Top 43 DE prospect which would go to the Jags in basic scenario, that cuts you down to (2) 34 Teams and (2) 43 Teams left:

-Dolphins

-Panthers

-Bills

-Seahawks

4) Let's be real here, how many 43 teams are gonna go rabid for a 6'1 DE who ran a 4.79. Really nothing about his combine numbers, maybe besides his 3 cone, jump out as freakish. Mind you Coples, Mercilus, Branch, Perry, McCellin all ran faster 40's.

Do I think Ingram is at 16 with confidence, no, but it not like it's an absurd thought.

...So even if you cross out Bills...and what I didn't bring up above, is that most likely you'll see somebody trading up to get him before 16.

• 1 month later...

just want to bump this and say i'd be happy with either player and be surprised if the Jets drafted neither of them.

Which begs the question, will they settle for upshaw, or go get Ingram?

A lot has been made of the Jets not showing public interest in Upshaw, but I tend to think that Upshaw is their back up selection in the event that Ingram goes early. As Rex said, there is plenty of tape on Upshaw. Not much more to evaluate. Ingram has fewer games, so they gotta dig deeper on him.

I personally feel they can't lose either way.

I think a player like Curry or Lewis should be there for us in the 2nd.....still allowing us to draft the BAP

I dont think Curry gets past Jacksonville in 2 and Lewis doesn't get past Dallas. Neither of them will be there at 47, JMO.

I dont know if this was mentioned but my understanding is that Ingram only had 1 forced fumble (or maybe i heard none?) at his time in south carolina. I'm not saying he's not an outstanding talent but this statistic surprised me. Upshaw on the the other hand, I dont even have to look up his statistics to know he had more than 1. I dont know this for sure but I would risk the embarrassment of being wrong and looking stupid because I'm confident in upshaw's ability to not only get to the quarterback but get there with some meanness. Does that make any sense?...I dont know haha.

Archived