Middle round prospects

BroadwayJ667

LaMichael James - Oregon, RB - May lack the ideal size to play in the Jets ground and pound style offense but could bring some much needed explosion out of the backfield.

Markus Zusevics - Iowa, OT - Likely will be restricted to playing right tackle or as a guard for his career but is a superb run blocker. Can be dependable as a pass blocker.

Matt McCants - Alabama-Birmingham, OT - Has the ability and skills to develop into a terrific left tackle, but would need time. Could probably play the right side much quicker. Moves fluidly, displays quick feet needed to protect against the speed rushers.

George Iloka - Boise State, FS - Many had him pegged as a stong safety - it's becoming more apparent that he would succeed as a free safety. Big and athletic at 6'3" he takes time to reach his top speed but is disciplined enough in his recognition to make up for the lack of top end speed. Has experience at corner and playing press-man coverage. Would probably need to play tight to the receiver because of a lack of top end speed.

Markelle Martin - Oklahoma State, FS - A very athletic safety who tends to lean on his athleticism. His technique suffers because he plays as if his natural abilities can help him escape any troubles. With work on his footwork and recognition could be one of the top safeties at the next level.

Rhett Ellison - Southern California, TE - May never become a starting tight end at the next level, but possesses the frame to contribute in many packages at the next level. Has the ability to catch the ball in the intermediate game and has excellent technique in his routes. Will hold his own in the run game but needs a bit of coaching to shore up his technique.

T.Y. Hilton - Florida International, WR - Short, but possesses dangerous explosiveness in the vertical passing game. Can quickly eat up any cushion between he and a safety. Will likely never be a starter because his frame will not allow him to beat press coverage but can be a weapon from the slot or utilized effectively from play action and passing formations.

I'll be back with more later.

Who do you like?

Really like James and Martin...also

Chase Minnifield CB - Virginia

Sean Spence LB - Miami

Chandler Jones DE/OLB - Syracuse

Andrew Datko OT - FSU

Brandon Brooks OG - Miami OH

Nick Toon WR - Wisconsin

Marvin McNutt WR - Iowa

BJ Cunningham WR - Michigan State

Marquis Maze WR - Alabama

Davin Meggett RB - Maryland

Benard Pierce RB - Temple

Chris Rainey RB - Florida

I like Kroger.

Midround TE: Cory Harkey

Other midround guys I like for Los Yets in no particular order:

Billy Wynn DT/DE Boise State

Tommy Streeter WR Miami

Jarius Wright WR Arkansas

Bobby Massie RT Ole Miss

Keenan Robinson ILB/LB Texas

Kyle Wilber OLB Wake Forest

Nigel Bradham ILB/OLB FSU

Devier Posey WR OSU

Kirk Cousins QB MSU

Ryan Lindley QB SDSU

Brock Osweiler QB Arizona St.

Philip Thomas S Syracuse

Josh Bush S Wake Forest

James Brown T Troy

Jonathan Massaquoi DE/OLB Troy

Cam Johnson DE/OLB Virginia

Brandon Brooks OL Miami OH

Shea McClellin DE/OLB Boise

Michael Brewster C/G OSU

Markus Zusevics RT/RG Iowa

Jared Crick DE/DT Nebraska

Chandler Jones DE/OLB Syracuse

Bernard Pierce RB Temple

T.Y. Hilton - Florida International, WR - Short, but possesses dangerous explosiveness in the vertical passing game. Can quickly eat up any cushion between he and a safety. Will likely never be a starter because his frame will not allow him to beat press coverage but can be a weapon from the slot or utilized effectively from play action and passing formations.

No offense to Hilton but I'd rather see someone who is like 6'2"-6'5" drafted at WR. Holmes and Kerley are not very tall.

I'm starting to consider Alshon Jeffery in round 1, I know not mid-round, but he weighed in at 216 6'3" If he runs fast 40 time, ect, I would have to consider him.

I'd consider Brian Quick 6’4’ 220 - Appalachian State before Hilton, need that red zone threat like Burress only better between the 20's.

No offense to Hilton but I'd rather see someone who is like 6'2"-6'5" drafted at WR. Holmes and Kerley are not very tall.

I'm starting to consider Alshon Jeffery in round 1, I know not mid-round, but he weighed in at 216 6'3" If he runs fast 40 time, ect, I would have to consider him.

I'd consider Brian Quick 6’4’ 220 - Appalachian State before Hilton, need that red zone threat like Burress only better between the 20's.

Frankly with the draft picks they should have I'd like them to get Stephen Hill from Georgia Tech and T.Y. Hilton

Chase Ford - Miami, TE - The kind of tight end that can do everything, but will need coaching. Settles down well in zone coverage, snatches the ball out of the air and finds ways to finish off his blocks. Will draw comparisons to Jimmy Graham but is not as athletic to Graham.

Nick Toon - Wisconsin, WR - Well known to many Jets fans because of father Al. Does not have the speed to be a vertical threat in an offense but possesses superb quickness to size ratio.Will win many battles off the line of scrimmage and fights for the ball in short area. Will also be an asset in the red zone.

Shea McClellin - Boise State, OLB - Has the potential to be a significant producer at the next level. A "high motor guy" who gets to the passer and can beat a one on one block. Not the most fluid and may struggle infrequently in coverage, however he should be able to provide adequate coverage. Has good flexibility to dip his hips and beat a tackle on an outside rush. Possesses good closing speed.

Frankly with the draft picks they should have I'd like them to get Stephen Hill from Georgia Tech and T.Y. Hilton

I like Hill 6’4” can’t wait to see his 40 time. Where are you taking them 3 & 4? Hilton can return kicks don’t know if he slips to 5 or 6 guess combine times will indicate. I’d like to take them with 4 & 6. I’d also like to win Lotto.

I personally feel like safety will be a priority at 3 or 4 latest. Unfortunately the safeties this year are not great and they are in demand. Don’t see the jets getting Barron or using #47 on one.

They are in a tough spot something is getting pushed to later rounds, hopefully we’ll find some gems there.

I like Hill 6’4” can’t wait to see his 40 time. Where are you taking them 3 & 4? Hilton can return kicks don’t know if he slips to 5 or 6 guess combine times will indicate. I’d like to take them with 4 & 6. I’d also like to win Lotto.

I personally feel like safety will be a priority at 3 or 4 latest. Unfortunately the safeties this year are not great and they are in demand. Don’t see the jets getting Barron or using #47 on one.

They are in a tough spot something is getting pushed to later rounds, hopefully we’ll find some gems there.

The more I hear about Hill the more I'm convinced he will go in the first round at latest the first 5 picks in the second, IF his 40 time is in the low to mid 4.4, so I would hope the Jets trade up into that late first early second or find someone willing at the back end to swap for 16. If they stay where they are I can see Hightower being the pick at 16.

round 2, like I said Hill. Then it's anyone's guess bcause you just can't predict what anyone else will do. I see Hilton as at worst a 5th round pick. His explosive ability is too good to pass on. Darren Sproles was too short and he's done fine.

The more I see of Shea McClellin the more I like and think the Jets would benefit from him. If the Jets don't get Barron then I would really like to see George Iloka. He may not be the best athlete but he does seem technically sound.

By round three is where I could see the Jets go OT, but who knows. Maybe they'll take one of the LT prospects at the top and kick him over.

The more I hear about Hill the more I'm convinced he will go in the first round at latest the first 5 picks in the second, IF his 40 time is in the low to mid 4.4, so I would hope the Jets trade up into that late first early second or find someone willing at the back end to swap for 16. If they stay where they are I can see Hightower being the pick at 16.

round 2, like I said Hill. Then it's anyone's guess bcause you just can't predict what anyone else will do. I see Hilton as at worst a 5th round pick. His explosive ability is too good to pass on. Darren Sproles was too short and he's done fine.

The more I see of Shea McClellin the more I like and think the Jets would benefit from him. If the Jets don't get Barron then I would really like to see George Iloka. He may not be the best athlete but he does seem technically sound.

By round three is where I could see the Jets go OT, but who knows. Maybe they'll take one of the LT prospects at the top and kick him over.

Looks like you have at WR Blackmon and at RB Richardson and everyone else. Seems like the combine/personal workouts will start to separate these guys some.

I'm starting to think a little differently now abuse the Jets draft in particular. I always thought they would go OT early but I'm thinking that may not be the case. I think they go OLB, WR, S; - 1, 2, 3 in no particular order.

They very well could be taking Hill or another WR at #47. The only WR I see at #16 may be Jeffery or Floyd but if Ingram or Upshaw are there at 16 the Jets are taking them and could look at WR in 2nd.

I think there are enough choices at safety for someone will be there at #78. The Jets could take safety at #47 and WR at #78. They could also look to trade down from 16 if their board calls for it. If the Jets like Jeffery but think 16 is too high to pick him they might try and move back some spots get another pick and hopefully still get him.

Later rounds the Jets could take their OT probably at #108. Then they’ll have 5-7 to look at RB, TE, ILB, CB, yes CB, NT, and DE/DT. I like Robert Turbin RB - Utah State in the 5th and Kevin Koger TE - Michigan in the 6th.

It looks like the Jets are going to have three, 6th round picks and 1 or 2 7th, something like this. So they can use the other 3 or 4 picks on any position, guess just what the board dictates.

Looks like you have at WR Blackmon and at RB Richardson and everyone else. Seems like the combine/personal workouts will start to separate these guys some.

I'm starting to think a little differently now abuse the Jets draft in particular. I always thought they would go OT early but I'm thinking that may not be the case. I think they go OLB, WR, S; - 1, 2, 3 in no particular order.

They very well could be taking Hill or another WR at #47. The only WR I see at #16 may be Jeffery or Floyd but if Ingram or Upshaw are there at 16 the Jets are taking them and could look at WR in 2nd.

I think there are enough choices at safety for someone will be there at #78. The Jets could take safety at #47 and WR at #78. They could also look to trade down from 16 if their board calls for it. If the Jets like Jeffery but think 16 is too high to pick him they might try and move back some spots get another pick and hopefully still get him.

Later rounds the Jets could take their OT probably at #108. Then they’ll have 5-7 to look at RB, TE, ILB, CB, yes CB, NT, and DE/DT. I like Robert Turbin RB - Utah State in the 5th and Kevin Koger TE - Michigan in the 6th.

It looks like the Jets are going to have three, 6th round picks and 1 or 2 7th, something like this. So they can use the other 3 or 4 picks on any position, guess just what the board dictates.

I would hope the Jets can get Hill, even if it takes him three quarters of the season to get his feet under him as a complete reciever. He should have the speed/size to provide the vertical threat this team needs.

Iloka or Martin could be available around round 3 but the thing is the Jets really need two safeties so would they be comfortable drafting one. Could they get away with sigining a free agent. Landry might be a risk. Maybe they think of bringing back Abe Elam, or exploring a Craig Steltz or Atari Bigby. Personally I would like to see them take Barron and Iloka. Crazy yes, but if it shores up the secondary then it may be worth it. Maybe they pass on Barron and take a flyer on Martin, but Martin will need a fair amount of coaching. He talented, but he leans on it.

By round three or four is when they will have had to addressed right tackle, if they hadn't already.

I hope the extra draft picks accrued via compensatory picks give them some flexibility to trade up for players they like. It seems to work better than when they sit in their slot.

My question to you is though who d you like if you have the choice. Hill or Jeffery? I'm not suggesting it's an easy call but the more I see of Hill the more I hope he comes to the Jets

I would hope the Jets can get Hill, even if it takes him three quarters of the season to get his feet under him as a complete reciever. He should have the speed/size to provide the vertical threat this team needs.

Iloka or Martin could be available around round 3 but the thing is the Jets really need two safeties so would they be comfortable drafting one. Could they get away with sigining a free agent. Landry might be a risk. Maybe they think of bringing back Abe Elam, or exploring a Craig Steltz or Atari Bigby. Personally I would like to see them take Barron and Iloka. Crazy yes, but if it shores up the secondary then it may be worth it. Maybe they pass on Barron and take a flyer on Martin, but Martin will need a fair amount of coaching. He talented, but he leans on it.

By round three or four is when they will have had to addressed right tackle, if they hadn't already.

I hope the extra draft picks accrued via compensatory picks give them some flexibility to trade up for players they like. It seems to work better than when they sit in their slot.

My question to you is though who d you like if you have the choice. Hill or Jeffery? I'm not suggesting it's an easy call but the more I see of Hill the more I hope he comes to the Jets

Jeffery is more polished can do more things. Hill is a deep threat needs to be a better rout runner. The thing is forty times ect what will they all be? Jeffery will not be there at #47 while Hill might be at #78. I mean you have so many similar WRs: Criner, Dwight Jones, McNutt, Hill, Quick, and later rounds like Marvin Jones, who is moving up, Risard Matthews. One of these guys will go 4-6.

The one thing is Jeffery ate up Dre Kirkpatrick and Mark Barron in SC's game against Bama, two NFL caliber DBs. The Jets need to start to draft out of the SEC, especially this year. I'll tell you who I don't want is Michael Floyd, who did he ever play no thanks, I'd take Hill over him.

It's all relative to who the team values where? The one thing is in 2013 Slauson and Moore become a free agent, can't see them bringing Moore back so you need an o-linemen this year even more than just replacing Hunter.

It seems like the Jets 1-4 would be in no order: OLB, S, WR, OT, where they have huge holes. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they drafted a CB, DE/DT, ILB, or NT with any of their first four picks. I just feel their board is going to force them value wise to pick the best player, not necessarily a need. They will push something into next year and go with the players they have filling holes with stop gap FA. I know people don't want to hear this but you might see Wayne Hunter, Eric Smith or Brodney Pool start again, it's not impossible.

Jeffery is more polished can do more things. Hill is a deep threat needs to be a better rout runner. The thing is forty times ect what will they all be? Jeffery will not be there at #47 while Hill might be at #78. I mean you have so many similar WRs: Criner, Dwight Jones, McNutt, Hill, Quick, and later rounds like Marvin Jones, who is moving up, Risard Matthews. One of these guys will go 4-6.

The one thing is Jeffery ate up Dre Kirkpatrick and Mark Barron in SC's game against Bama, two NFL caliber DBs. The Jets need to start to draft out of the SEC, especially this year. I'll tell you who I don't want is Michael Floyd, who did he ever play no thanks, I'd take Hill over him.

It's all relative to who the team values where? The one thing is in 2013 Slauson and Moore become a free agent, can't see them bringing Moore back so you need an o-linemen this year even more than just replacing Hunter.

It seems like the Jets 1-4 would be in no order: OLB, S, WR, OT, where they have huge holes. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they drafted a CB, DE/DT, ILB, or NT with any of their first four picks. I just feel their board is going to force them value wise to pick the best player, not necessarily a need. They will push something into next year and go with the players they have filling holes with stop gap FA. I know people don't want to hear this but you might see Wayne Hunter, Eric Smith or Brodney Pool start again, it's not impossible.

Trust me I get that the combine is quite overhyped. Mainly that is because those in the media are not educated enough to filter the information that comes out and is unable to process the information into an informed evaluation. Translation they are number humpers.

This being said, with Hill, if he runs a fast 40 he will jump up draft boards because someone will fall in love with him and think they can get the same thing as Calvin Johnson and DeMaryius Thomas (both also from Ga Tech). I like Jeffery. I like what he was able to accomplish given that Stephen Garcia and then a few nobodies were throwing him the ball at South Carolina. I'm not opposed to him in any way. Some knock the weight or the lack of explosive speed, but he goes and gets the ball out of the air. He also builds speed as he goes. Not the best thing from a receiver but but also is not bad.

It's a crazy thought but they might try to get away without drafting one of those wideouts and try to skate for a year with Edwards or even Moss. I know Moss is a risk but damn I can see them thinking they can get away with it.

Heres something though. If DeCastro is available at 16 do you draft him over the other positions of need, preparing for the future and even present at guard?

If they really want to get better then they should draft BPA and skip the need portion. Find the guys that fit, not the guys you need, even if it's a position that is ok. You can never have too many good players.

Trust me I get that the combine is quite overhyped. Mainly that is because those in the media are not educated enough to filter the information that comes out and is unable to process the information into an informed evaluation. Translation they are number humpers.

This being said, with Hill, if he runs a fast 40 he will jump up draft boards because someone will fall in love with him and think they can get the same thing as Calvin Johnson and DeMaryius Thomas (both also from Ga Tech). I like Jeffery. I like what he was able to accomplish given that Stephen Garcia and then a few nobodies were throwing him the ball at South Carolina. I'm not opposed to him in any way. Some knock the weight or the lack of explosive speed, but he goes and gets the ball out of the air. He also builds speed as he goes. Not the best thing from a receiver but but also is not bad.

It's a crazy thought but they might try to get away without drafting one of those wideouts and try to skate for a year with Edwards or even Moss. I know Moss is a risk but damn I can see them thinking they can get away with it.

Heres something though. If DeCastro is available at 16 do you draft him over the other positions of need, preparing for the future and even present at guard?

If they really want to get better then they should draft BPA and skip the need portion. Find the guys that fit, not the guys you need, even if it's a position that is ok. You can never have too many good players.

I'm glad you made the point about the crap QB's that Jeffery had, I was going to mention it but I'm not so sure the G-Tech QB is any better?

I think the Jets probably fill a big hole at #1 but a D-linemen or DeCastro would not shock me at all. I would consider, me now, even with the needs anyone but look hard at DE/DT if he were worth the #16 pick, I mean Michael Brockers, for example, is 6'5" 322 pounds played for LSU against the best. If I thought he was going to be the man on my line for year with Wilkerson I'd cut DeVito save his $3m salary and he's a FA 2012 anyway and was injured much of 2011, sorry Mike thanks for the memories, start the new guy. This defense doesn't work without the horses up front especially against the run.

If the Jets are picking at #78 and the 49th player is on their board but it's a NT and they want to take a safety but he is ranked 80th your suppose to take the NT. The problem with the Jets is, and anyone whose follows the team like you obviously do knows this, they mortgaged the future so much it finally had to catch up with them. As much as I hate to say it, they are going have to turn chicken crap into chicken salad. I just read an article about how they are going to try and start Vladimer Ducasse. Please this guy is lost he'll get Sanchez killed, the Jets don't want to eat their bad pick.

You read the forum and so do I people want this and that so do we but something is going to fall short. You use the Edwards example very possible. Even if they draft an OT say at #108 he's going to start maybe, or maybe not, maybe he's a total bust and now Hunter starts again. Can the Jets afford to bring in a veteran o-lineman given their cap problems, possible not. They may just roll with what they have. I've done mock drafts over and over along with looking at FA and the cap. I just can't figure out a way to plug all these holes. I mean if all my draft picks were legitimate NFL starters it would be easy but have to assume if 7 out of possible 11 picks workout to contribute in some way that's a home run.

The bottom line is some area gets the shaft and someone Hunter, Ducasse, Smith, McIntyre or Pool might be starting for this team next year, no matter how much we hope it doesn't happen.

I'm glad you made the point about the crap QB's that Jeffery had, I was going to mention it but I'm not so sure the G-Tech QB is any better?

I think the Jets probably fill a big hole at #1 but a D-linemen or DeCastro would not shock me at all. I would consider, me now, even with the needs anyone but look hard at DE/DT if he were worth the #16 pick, I mean Michael Brockers, for example, is 6'5" 322 pounds played for LSU against the best. If I thought he was going to be the man on my line for year with Wilkerson I'd cut DeVito save his $3m salary and he's a FA 2012 anyway and was injured much of 2011, sorry Mike thanks for the memories, start the new guy. This defense doesn't work without the horses up front especially against the run.

If the Jets are picking at #78 and the 49th player is on their board but it's a NT and they want to take a safety but he is ranked 80th your suppose to take the NT. The problem with the Jets is, and anyone whose follows the team like you obviously do knows this, they mortgaged the future so much it finally had to catch up with them. As much as I hate to say it, they are going have to turn chicken crap into chicken salad. I just read an article about how they are going to try and start Vladimer Ducasse. Please this guy is lost he'll get Sanchez killed, the Jets don't want to eat their bad pick.

You read the forum and so do I people want this and that so do we but something is going to fall short. You use the Edwards example very possible. Even if they draft an OT say at #108 he's going to start maybe, or maybe not, maybe he's a total bust and now Hunter starts again. Can the Jets afford to bring in a veteran o-lineman given their cap problems, possible not. They may just roll with what they have. I've done mock drafts over and over along with looking at FA and the cap. I just can't figure out a way to plug all these holes. I mean if all my draft picks were legitimate NFL starters it would be easy but have to assume if 7 out of possible 11 picks workout to contribute in some way that's a home run.

The bottom line is some area gets the shaft and someone Hunter, Ducasse, Smith, McIntyre or Pool might be starting for this team next year, no matter how much we hope it doesn't happen.

See the thing is that this isn't as bad a team as everyone is making it out to be. Yeah they finished 8-8 and didn't make the playoffs but it was just a disappointment. It wasn't for lack of talent or any number of things that would really cause any worry. They need to tweak a few things here and there but there are no catastrophes on this team. Yes RT is a problem but on the scale of fixable ones that is pretty easy.

They lost a few close games and some games they shouldn't have lost. Oakland, Denver, and the Giants game come to mind. A few plays in the Jets favor and those games are a different outcome. Luck really does play a big role, but more so does chemistry and everyone working toward the same goal. I believe Cortland will remedy many of the "Chemistry" issues that arose last year.

I'll give Ducasse the benefit of the doubt. Brick seemed to suffer from the lack of OTA's and we'll see how Vlad does. We could be surprised or he could just be another miss that every team suffers.

I don't expect any of the draft picks to come in and be immediate problem solvers. I do see the Jets able to remedy their issues schematically early on. A few low key free agents will be brought in and help out.

Anyway if they do sign Moss or Edwards I would really hope they take Hill or Jeffery, they do need something long term.

Is Sanchez an elite QB, no not yet, maybe not ever, but the guy has a few of the things needed to win in the league. The biggest one being the ability to win the close game in the 4th quarter.

See the thing is that this isn't as bad a team as everyone is making it out to be. Yeah they finished 8-8 and didn't make the playoffs but it was just a disappointment. It wasn't for lack of talent or any number of things that would really cause any worry. They need to tweak a few things here and there but there are no catastrophes on this team. Yes RT is a problem but on the scale of fixable ones that is pretty easy.

They lost a few close games and some games they shouldn't have lost. Oakland, Denver, and the Giants game come to mind. A few plays in the Jets favor and those games are a different outcome. Luck really does play a big role, but more so does chemistry and everyone working toward the same goal. I believe Cortland will remedy many of the "Chemistry" issues that arose last year.

I'll give Ducasse the benefit of the doubt. Brick seemed to suffer from the lack of OTA's and we'll see how Vlad does. We could be surprised or he could just be another miss that every team suffers.

I don't expect any of the draft picks to come in and be immediate problem solvers. I do see the Jets able to remedy their issues schematically early on. A few low key free agents will be brought in and help out.

Anyway if they do sign Moss or Edwards I would really hope they take Hill or Jeffery, they do need something long term.

Is Sanchez an elite QB, no not yet, maybe not ever, but the guy has a few of the things needed to win in the league. The biggest one being the ability to win the close game in the 4th quarter.

Don't let my doom and gloom writing style fool you. I think this team can be in the playoff hunt if things break right. I just wonder if people realize that this is a team in transition. We are all use to the Jets going hard into free agency even last year, I wondered how they would afford Nnamdi. The team is older, has high priced players and tight money.

They’re going to have to use the draft more. The draft can be about now and the future. I mean you’re not drafting a player you drafting that player’s potential. You hope your #1 can start along with others but it could take time to develop, if ever. Look at Wilkerson, had a very nice rookie year but I'm sure most fans think his second season will be better because of the experience he now has. Even if the Jets say draft Jeffery they are still probably going to have to bring in a low priced stop gap FA at WR just to be safe.

They will have to fill the holes as best they can. When people say 'cut Eric Smith I never want to see him again', you might regret that move if the new safeties get hurt and there is no capable back-ups. If the Jets get a new RT and he gets hurt Hunter may very well be starting again, at least he has some starting experience and has proven he is better suited to come off the bench in a back-up role.

Depth was a problem with this team last year guys were starting who are not meant to play 16 games but are good enough to back up or be situational players, that's why Hunter and Smith will be on the team.

You did mention about the Jets drafting two safeties. I do think it is possible, maybe a late round flyer on the second one, but the team is going to have to bring in a FA at safety besides resigning Pool. I don’t see any way you can change both safeties without bringing in like a Reggie Nelson type.

I keep hearing how the Jets don't cut their losses with draft picks, but it's bullsh*t. Chatter to the press about starting Ducasse doesn't mean much. They redid Gholston's contract to dump him early and let Schlegel go plenty quick. People just feel that way because they believe every mindless quote to the press pumping up a questionable player. If we were reading other sites we would be hearing about things like "This will be Maroney's breakout year!"

I keep hearing how the Jets don't cut their losses with draft picks, but it's bullsh*t. Chatter to the press about starting Ducasse doesn't mean much. They redid Gholston's contract to dump him early and let Schlegel go plenty quick. People just feel that way because they believe every mindless quote to the press pumping up a questionable player. If we were reading other sites we would be hearing about things like "This will be Maroney's breakout year!"

Yeah, they really made an example out of Gholston.

Don't let my doom and gloom writing style fool you. I think this team can be in the playoff hunt if things break right. I just wonder if people realize that this is a team in transition. We are all use to the Jets going hard into free agency even last year, I wondered how they would afford Nnamdi. The team is older, has high priced players and tight money.

They’re going to have to use the draft more. The draft can be about now and the future. I mean you’re not drafting a player you drafting that player’s potential. You hope your #1 can start along with others but it could take time to develop, if ever. Look at Wilkerson, had a very nice rookie year but I'm sure most fans think his second season will be better because of the experience he now has. Even if the Jets say draft Jeffery they are still probably going to have to bring in a low priced stop gap FA at WR just to be safe.

They will have to fill the holes as best they can. When people say 'cut Eric Smith I never want to see him again', you might regret that move if the new safeties get hurt and there is no capable back-ups. If the Jets get a new RT and he gets hurt Hunter may very well be starting again, at least he has some starting experience and has proven he is better suited to come off the bench in a back-up role.

Depth was a problem with this team last year guys were starting who are not meant to play 16 games but are good enough to back up or be situational players, that's why Hunter and Smith will be on the team.

You did mention about the Jets drafting two safeties. I do think it is possible, maybe a late round flyer on the second one, but the team is going to have to bring in a FA at safety besides resigning Pool. I don’t see any way you can change both safeties without bringing in like a Reggie Nelson type.

No I understood what you were saying. I think they need to find the perfect middle in this years draft. Try to find one player that makes an immediate impact, maybe they have to trade up for him, but the rest of the picks need to be guys that can develop.

I think the difference between the Rex Regime and the Mangini Regime in terms of drafting has been potential vs immediate impact. It seems to me that Mangini could recognize guys that could start right away where as under Rex they look for guys that might have a higher upside. I know what the results are but I'm speculating.

As far as the Stephen Hill vs Jeffery thing, it got a whole lot more interesting today as Stephen Hill ran a 4.3 -4.36 40 yd dash. I think it's a lock now that he goes in the first round. Hell he may now even go before pick 16, So yeah there are other needs but I think If they really believe in Mark, or even want to bring in another QB they need a guy like Hill that can stretch the field and open up the running game for them.

I think the difference between the Rex Regime and the Mangini Regime in terms of drafting has been potential vs immediate impact. It seems to me that Mangini could recognize guys that could start right away where as under Rex they look for guys that might have a higher upside.

Or, Mangini had a more realistic grasp of what to look for in a developmental prospect.

Or, Mangini had a more realistic grasp of what to look for in a developmental prospect.

Also possible. Like I said I was speculating. They may not be as good when you compare them but Rex's prospects have seemed to respond to coaching. They aren't the pro bowl caliber talent but they have become contributors.

Also possible. Like I said I was speculating. They may not be as good when you compare them but Rex's prospects have seemed to respond to coaching. They aren't the pro bowl caliber talent but they have become contributors.

I thought Mangini got carried away with the whole "character" thing, but there's a lot to be said for drafting players who are coachable, not jackasses, and who can read.

Archived