Robert Turbin to viit Jets

GREENBEAN

Utah State running back Robert Turbin to visit Jets before draft

BY Manish Mehta

Rex Ryan joked this offseason that if the Jets have to run it 50 times per game in 2012, they’ll run it 50 times per game. If the Jets have to pass it 50 times per game, well, they’ll run it 50 times per game.

The Jets’ renewed commitment to the ground-and-pound philosophy that helped them reach consecutive AFC Championship Games may prompt them to draft a running back next month.

The Daily News has learned that Utah State running back Robert Turbin will visit the Jets in the run-up to the draft next month.

New offensive coordinator Tony Sparano will likely be looking for a backfield complement to Shonn Greene. The 5-10, 220-pound Turbin rushed for 1,517 yards (6.1 ypc) and 19 touchdowns during his junior season en route to Western Athletic Conference Offensive Player of the Year honors.

Turbin, a projected third-round pick by various scouting services, ran a 4.5 40-yard dash at the Scouting Combine a few weeks ago.

http://www.nydailyne...ts-before-draft

Latest News<p>12/24/2011 - Utah State running back Robert Turbin, who rushed for 1,517 yards and 19 touchdowns this season, is parlaying his monster 2011 campaign into an early entry into the NFL. Largely due to Turbin's strong running, Utah State went to their first bowl game since 1997. For his exploits Turbin was voted the WAC's Offensive Player of the Year. Turbin continued the recent trend of athletes breaking news via their Twitter accounts by announcing the news Friday. Turbin, operating under the handle @RobT_33wrote: Id like to Thank all the fans of Utah state for all ur support thru wins n losses, and thru injuries and health.. some of u already kno but after going back and forth with my decision I've decided that its best for me n my family to take the next n go pro. I appreciate everyone who's helped me along the way and who has supported.. Utah state will continue to grow and hopefully I've left something new guys can improve on when they go in and get their opportunity.For those who haven't seen Turbin, he's a virtual pinball of muscle. Possessing as impressive an upper body physique as any running back in the country (well, perhaps excluding Alabama's Trent Richardson), Turbin uses his strong arms and good leg drive to plow through defenders. He's hardly just a power runner, however, possessing surprising agility and acceleration for such a powerful back. Rated by NFLDraftScout.com as a likely fourth round pick and the No. 11 running back overall, Turbin rushed for 3,315 yards and 40 touchdowns over his Aggie career. He's also a reliable receiver out of the backfield, having caught 67 passes for 845 yards and 11 more scores and is among the stouter pass blockers of this year's running back class. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

Overview

A powerfully built back with much better acceleration and natural running skills than you'd expect given his size, Utah State's Robert Turbin exploded in 2011 for 1,517 yards and 19 touchdowns. His spectacular junior season earned him the 2011 Western Athletic Conference's Offensive Player of the Year award and helped lead the Aggies to their first bowl appearance since 1997.

Turbin is far from just a one year wonder, however. His 2011 season, in fact, is all the more impressive considering that he missed the entire 2010 season with a torn ACL. Turbin demonstrated future NFL-caliber talent early on, rushing for 499 yards and a team-leading eight touchdowns as a redshirt freshman in 2008 and catching the attention of NFL scouts a year later with an eye-popping 18 touchdowns and 1,296 rushing yards in just 11 starts a year later.

Though characterized throughout the year as a junior, Turbin had technically used up his eligibility once the 2011 season ended. Therefore he was not among the 65 underclassmen recognized by the NFL as having left college early for the NFL. His eligibility for the 2012 draft, however, is not in question nor is his talent. Though questions about his durability and level of competition could push him into the draft's third day, Turbin's surprising combination of power, burst and reliability as receiver and blocker could make him a candidate for early and significant playing time as a rookie. Analysis

Strengths: Possesses good burst to and through the hole. A patient runner with good vision and burst for the cutback. Squares his shoulders and can knock the defender back onto his heels. Good leg drive and forward lean to gain extra yardage after contact. Shows a surprising burst to beat linebackers to the edge. Can plant his foot in the ground and explode, showing better straight-line speed than you'd expect for a back of his size. Shows good hands and concentration as a receiver. Looks natural catching the ball. Cognizant and physical pass blocker who will square up the hard-charging linebacker in the hole to buy his quarterback time. Possesses a short, squatty frame conducive to tough inside running. Dedication to the weight room is obvious based on an upper body build as impressive as any running back in the country (with the possible exception of Alabama's Trent Richardson) …

Weaknesses: Possesses surprising burst for a back of his build but despite some long runs over his career has limited straight-line speed and can be caught from behind. Is much more explosive in his upfield burst than laterally, especially following the 2010 season in which he tore his ACL. Is a bit top-heavy. Possesses broad shoulders and a heavily muscled up upper-body but only average base. Durability concern. Missed the entire 2010 season with the torn ACL and redshirted in 2007 wih a foot injury, each of which will require a closer look by team doctors at the Combine. Questionable level of competition …

We need a set of guns in the backfield since Thomas jones left.

Thomas Jones should be available again since the Chiefs signed Hillis. Ya think the Jets feel like it was a mistak to let him go and will make a run at him? lol

Don't like the way the kid holds the ball, but other then that don't see much I don't like.----------In the video at least

Other than how he talked, which I liked, I'm not all that impressed. Outrunning a bunch of guys who will never make it to the NFL doesn't cut it. Ask Blair thomas.

Decent hands and speed. A couple nice runs. Not bad, but he looks like Powell to me. Am I off here?

Other than how he talked, which I liked, I'm not all that impressed. Outrunning a bunch of guys who will never make it to the NFL doesn't cut it. Ask Blair thomas.

Decent hands and speed. A couple nice runs. Not bad, but he looks like Powell to me. Am I off here?

Actually Blair played much tougher competition then Turbin did. I thought Thomas was going to be GOOD. Guess I was the only one.......well besides the Jets.

I understand what your saying.

RB's are unique in that watching a highlight tape of a player you can see if they do the things that are required to be successful in the NFL. It is easier to see then other positions. I think that's why RB's succeed more often as rookies then, say WR's.

I really don't know anything about this kid, but he seems to do a lot of good things. Things that will work against Bama, or Dogshyt St.

He's going to interview well. think Rex is going to love his cocky, team orientated angle

He's Big and strong--About the same size as Greene. Drops his shoulder with power.

Kids fast. He has NFL RB speed. Running away form DB's, even in the WAC is still impressive. Seems to be much faster then Greene. Like Greene has a very good burst to the hole.

Seems to have very good hands and concentration.

Willing and effective blocker.

Think he would be an excellent compliment to Greene, and McKnight.

Probably 3rd round

I'm going to remember his name. Think he fits at that point in the draft

what rd is he epected to go in fellas?

8m headshot_Manish_Mehta_normal.jpgManish Mehta @TheJetsStream

How will Jets' bolster their backfield under new OC Tony Sparano? Well, Utah State's Robert Turbin will be visiting NYJ, per source. #nfl

He looks like he could be the type of back that Sparano would love to have. He's a big body that breaks tackles, he moves the pile but more importantly he can run routes and can catch the football either out of the flat or down the field. I wouldnt mind picking him up. He also has deceptive speed given his size. Looking at him run he doesnt look fast, but when you look at footage this kid is out running CB's and is absolutely smoking LB's.

I wish we would stop drafting mid-round sh*t monsters every year. We've drafted a ******* RB every single year since Rex got here and we have nothing to show for it. I know nothing about this fella from Utah State, but if we are interested in him, chances are he's a one dimensional ball of sh*t whose skills are poorly suited for the pro level.

Definitely need a RB. Not sure burning yet another 4th rounder on one is the correct way to go about that.

Archived