end-of-march mock

Darth Vader

1. Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama. 6'2", 260.

Forget the measurements for now. Upshaw is a honed 3-4 point-of-attack OLB (extremely strong POA OLB) playing in the most athletically exclusive conference in college. Ideally, the Jets want an edge rusher here that can be plugged in to the defense from the get-go. Unfortunately, they are either gone by 16 (coples, ingram, etc) or not optimal value selections at 16 (mcclellin, etc). Upshaw doesn't really upgrade the pass rush from the edge. What he does is set the edge and make plays behind and along the LOS. IMO the Jets may be looking at Mercilus and Perry here as well. Both players are higher risk IMO insofar as they are conversion DEs, and while both have intriguing athletic abilities and size, there are risky downsides to them as well. The first round is not a place to gamble on conversion DEs after the Gholston debacle, and Upshaw does improve the run defense. Jets fans have gotten used to outstanding run defense over the past few years amd probably take for granted the specific skill set of a Bryan Thomas or Calvin Pace - two big strong, players that set the edge and allow for plays to be made by the defense. But watch Upshaw for example vs LSU, on a Jefferson QB option, first force the pitch to the option, and then make the tackle on the RB at the LOS.... Now with Bryan Thomas coming off injury and aging, and with Pace underperforming and getting up there as well, Upshaw is a really solid pick. Jets "satisfice" here and hope that from the current roster, Maybin and Landry can provide speed and pressure on blitzes, and look for their killer edge rusher elsewhere and/or next year. Rex Ryan places a #1 premium on being able to stop the run. and Upshaw is probably a bigger "playmaker" than Bryan Thomas or Calvin Pace both against the run (total joy watching this player take on blocks) and against the pass - Upshaw can rush the passer!... COMPLETE PLAYER... READY TO PLUG IN.

2. Mychal Kendricks, ILB, CAL. 5'11" 240

4.47 40, 39.5 vert, 24 reps bench, PAC-12 Def Player of the year in passing league, exp OLB and ILB in 34.

Rex Ryan said after self-scout last season that he needed to improve the speed and playmaking abaility of the team. All the moves this year are reducible that goal, and Kendricks will step in right away with playing time, if not start over Bart Scott from the get go. He's the 3 down LB we need and makes the middle of the field dangerous and fast. Mid-2nd round is not too high for Kendricks.

3. Isaiah Pead, RB, Cincinnati. 5'9.5" 200.

4.4-47 40, senior bowl phenom. complete runner is all i will say, could shoot up boards. h/t matt bitonti, and i accept his logic. going heavy into ground and pound with LT retiring and just Greene, McKnight, and Powell at HB????? I dont think so. tebow helps but pead has a fluid and stutter type of speed that the lopey Mcknight does not have.

5.Tramain Thomas, FS, Arkansas, 6'0". 200 - no-combine-invite

4.5 40 38.5 vert. Thomas can do it all - he is a complete safety. he can tackle, play centerfield, make plays in tight space at the sideline, reads and reacts well to developing plays, good make-up speed and a body frame for good short area quickness and adjustment in space. this player isnt ed reed but he is incredible value in the middle of rd 5 and IMO will be a solid NFL starter.

5 comp. Lamar Holmes, OT, Southern Miss

6. Justin Anderson, OT, Georgia.

7 comp. Jerrell Harris, OLB, Alabama.

7 comp. Don Barclay, OT, WVU.

7 comp. Jerrell Young, FS, USF.

I like the first 2 rounds a lot. I was going a little sour on Upshaw, but after I heard that Saban called him the most violent player he's ever coached, I'm back all in. I think Pead could be a good pick, but I'd prefer us to go OL in round 3...the more I look at the board the more I think there is solid value at OT that should be around., Ryan Miller, Mitchell Schwartz, Zerbie Sanders, Matt McCants and its more of a need than RB.

I like the first 2 rounds a lot. I was going a little sour on Upshaw, but after I heard that Saban called him the most violent player he's ever coached, I'm back all in. I think Pead could be a good pick, but I'd prefer us to go OL in round 3...the more I look at the board the more I think there is solid value at OT that should be around., Ryan Miller, Mitchell Schwartz, Zerbie Sanders, Matt McCants and its more of a need than RB.

Definitely but I think we should go WR early too and give Sanchez a deep threat.

Definitely but I think we should go WR early too and give Sanchez a deep threat.

I'd like to see us take a WR too, but I dont think there is good value in the 3rd. And I hate to say it, but I think Chaz Shillens is our deep threat. 6'3 with 4.4 speed. They think this guy is going to open up the game.

I'll share this story in here because not too many people read this forum and I always get grief when I share my runs ins with celebs or athletes, but one of my best buds grew up with Sebastian Janikowski. We were hanging out last weekend watching March Madness when FSU was still alive and I asked him about Chaz. He exact words were "wow, if only he could stay healthy he'd be unreal. He's got all the skills in the world. Speed, size, great hands - just cant stay on the field". Said he would look unreal in camp but just couldnt stay healthy.

JMO the jets are going to look for 1) ingram 2) upshaw 3) hightower

Hightower can fit at OLB or ILB and is their "safety school" pick.

if tannehill goes top 10 that likely pushes an LB down

if not they go hightower.

linebacker or bust.

linebacker or bust.

I think Floyd is in the mix for the Jets. They don't have an NFL calibre starting WR opposite Holmes. I love Schillens but he's unreliable and thus can't be considered a WR2.

I sincerely hope they don't reach for a pass rusher (or Barron) when they can play relatively safe and fill one of several positions of need such as WR or OL.

I think Floyd is in the mix for the Jets. They don't have an NFL calibre starting WR opposite Holmes. I love Schillens but he's unreliable and thus can't be considered a WR2.

if you look up Michael Floyd in the dictionary it will be cross listed with unreliable. If we assume you are correct and Schiliens is unreliable, floyd is certainly not the answer. Between the DWIs and the injuries, he's a huge risk.

if you look up Michael Floyd in the dictionary it will be cross listed with unreliable. If we assume you are correct and Schiliens is unreliable, floyd is certainly not the answer. Between the DWIs and the injuries, he's a huge risk.

Ok. Let me rephrase. Floyd's risk/reward profile makes him a better risk than a pass rusher that doesn't light up Rex's heart. I don't know how Rex feels about Upshaw.

And if Floyd is the poster boy for 'unreliable' for variety of reasons then Schillens is the same for his repeated injuries.

In any event, I don't see the Jets going into the season without a serious upgrade in WR talent. So, I don't think it's LB or bust, tho I agree it's pretty close. I don't expect them to take Barren or a lineman. But I feel that a guy who is really talented and plays a position of need, but is troubled, is a guy the Jets would consider among all the pass rushers that might be there at 16.

And if Floyd is the poster boy for 'unreliable' for variety of reasons then Schillens is the same for his repeated injuries.

I agree but they didn't use a 1st on Schiliens.

the other problem with Floyd is he's not really a #1 WR. he's a #2 in a #1's body. if he's on AZ, DET or HOU, sure he can compliment the team's stud WR. But he can't be relied upon to be the stud. And that's a problem if picking him at 16. Notre Dame in general is a terrible WR legacy.

I honestly believe the front office likes Schliens and that's who the #2 WR is gonna be. They are gonna draft another WR but it's gonna be usual mid round stuff.

I sincerely hope they don't reach for a pass rusher (or Barron) when they can play relatively safe and fill one of several positions of need such as WR or OL.

Why is WR getting lumped with OL as a "safe" pick for a team with 3 QBs no one trusts to throw?

Edit: Rex probably loves Upshaw...Hightower too.

Why is WR getting lumped with OL as a "safe" pick for a team with 3 QBs no one trusts to throw?

Edit: Rex probably loves Upshaw...Hightower too.

I meant that the talent likely to be there at WR and OL (in terms of college performance and measurables) is more reliable than whatever pass rushing LBs will be left.

Heck, I want the pass rusher.

So, in the event these three guys are there at 16: DeCastro (Glenn, etc), Floyd and Hightower, then you guys are saying that the Jets would surely take Hightower.

And if Upshaw is there then its a no brainer that the Jets would take him over Floyd and Decastro?

So, in the event these three guys are there at 16: DeCastro (Glenn, etc), Floyd and Hightower, then you guys are saying that the Jets would surely take Hightower.

And if Upshaw is there then its a no brainer that the Jets would take him over Floyd and Decastro?

I MIGHT go DeCastro first (maybe trade it off for someone desperate for an OL) over anyone there, but probably I lean Upshaw/Hightower. At least two of your 3-4 LBs need to spend their weeks doing manly activities like cutting trees down and eating pancakes. Those two guys are those guys, and it sucks Los Yets can't have both. Throw their boy Barron into that too since he's right with those guys.

linebacker or bust.

The problem with linebacker (or OL for that matter) is that we tend to use our first pick at a position where we had dropped a starter. Wilkerson/Ellis, Wilson/Sheppard, Sanchez/Favre, Gholston/Hobson, Ferguson/Fabini, Nugent/Brien, Vilma/Farrior, etc. Seven out of the last eight. Pace or Scott or Hunter may go, but they're not gone yet, so as of today the chalk is a WR or S off the workout list. Only ones I know of are Hill (unlikely) and the safety from Michigan State (obviously not).

. Pace or Scott or Hunter may go, but they're not gone yet, so as of today the chalk is a WR or S off the workout list.

that's an interesting point but Outside linebacker is a huge need. Bryan Thomas coming off of a terrible injury. pace also extremely old. they did lose an OLB starter mid season last year and they had to play musical chairs to replace him. I don't think Pace and Thomas are going to be on the team much longer. they actually need 2 OLB.

that's an interesting point but Outside linebacker is a huge need. Bryan Thomas coming off of a terrible injury. pace also extremely old. they did lose an OLB starter mid season last year and they had to play musical chairs to replace him. I don't think Pace and Thomas are going to be on the team much longer. they actually need 2 OLB.

I'm just giving you the trends. I like Upshaw and Perry but right now I think Floyd or Barron is significantly more likely.

I'm just giving you the trends. I like Upshaw and Perry but right now I think Floyd or Barron is significantly more likely.

contrary to popular belief, they have starters at both positions: Eric Smith and Laron Landry; Santonio Holmes and Chaz Schiliens. I do agree they will look to supplement those areas but probably not in rd 1.

contrary to popular belief, they have starters at both positions: Eric Smith and Laron Landry; Santonio Holmes and Chaz Schiliens. I do agree they will look to supplement those areas but probably not in rd 1.

Eric Smith and Chas Schillens? You forgot Scotty McKnight.

Eric Smith and Chas Schillens?

har de har. In actuality Schliens is a very good player and Smith was the team's leading tackler. I know the fans continue to harbor some hope that Eric Berry and Calvin Johnson are gonna show up. But that's not in their plans.

Lost a linebacker, signed Barton and drafted Vilma. Lost a starter at OLB, signed Pace and drafted Gholston. Lost a starter at corner, traded for Cromartie and drafted Wilson. Landry and Schilens don't factor.

I just don't see the Jets drafting WR early

They seem to try the later round finding a WR, or most likely FA filler

If it was me, I go all defense this draft and picking a RB for offense

I'd love to come out of this draft with 2 LBers, a corner and Safety that contribute next year, and a RB on O

I just don't see the Jets drafting WR early

Well, that's the other thing. We historically don't put much draft value into the positions (WR, S) where we've cut ties with starters this year. It'll be interesting to see who we bring in. Wright doesn't make sense because he duplicates what Holmes gives us and is coming off a college career playing with a better quarterback than any we've got. I don't think you have to worry about Floyd either. We'll take a flier on a sh*thead who's already proved he can play in the league but we don't generally draft them.

This conversation will be put to rest if the Jets sign Braylon Edwards. I'm not convinced that the Jets think of Schillens as a starting WR; however, assuming full recovery from his knee issues, Edwards would project as a starting WR.

har de har. In actuality Schliens is a very good player and Smith was the team's leading tackler. I know the fans continue to harbor some hope that Eric Berry and Calvin Johnson are gonna show up. But that's not in their plans.

I'd take Mark Barron and Alshon Jeffrey and be perfectly fine.

I like Schilens btw...just like i liked the O'Dowd signing...young players with good draft pedigree and NFL size/talent/athleticism are good gambles.

Archived