Chandler Jones: best defensive player in the 2012 draft???

BroadwayJoe12

According to Mike Mayock and Michael Lombardi, the former whom I think extremely highly of, he is.

Both NFL Network's Mike Mayock and Michael Lombardi agreed on
Path to the Draft
Wednesday night that Syracuse DE Chandler Jones is the best defensive player in the 2012 draft.

"I'm gonna make a statement," said Mayock. "Three years from now, I'm gonna say Chandler Jones is the best defensive player to come out of this draft." Chimed in Lombardi, "I think what Mike Mayock said is right. He is the best defensive player in the draft." Mayock recently bumped Jones to No. 9 overall in his top-100 rankings, and to No. 1 among defensive ends. Lombardi went so far as to suggest Jones could be a top-ten pick. www.rotoworld.com

This is an extremely bold statement, from someone who knows his defensive players. He's usually spot on with dbacks, but his overall analysis is pretty accurate. Jones and Whitney seem to be flying up the draft board as of late and there's definitely going to be an OLB available at our slot; Coples, Ingram, Whitney, Jones etc.

Mayock thought Robert Ayers was going to be absolutely dominant. He's good with DB's, not so sure about defensive linemen. From what I've watched of Jones, I dunno. Long arms but he looks like a straight line guy, don't know if he can move that well laterally and he didn't really produce in college or put up great physical numbers. If he had a huge combine people would be freaking because he's a workout warrior with no production, but he's not even that. These guys obviously know a lot more than I do, but aside from the long arms I don't know what the fascination is.

Interesting. It wasnt eye popping production. But he's a freak. Could be this years JPP.

Not true. JPP was a legit freak who was poorly coached. SportsScience did a thing on his lower body strength and basically called him superhuman. I don't know if Jones tests like that and I'd imagine that Mayock is worried about missing out on a JPP-ish prospect again.

Not true. JPP was a legit freak who was poorly coached. SportsScience did a thing on his lower body strength and basically called him superhuman. I don't know if Jones tests like that and I'd imagine that Mayock is worried about missing out on a JPP-ish prospect again.

Thats really putting yourself out there with that kind of statement though...

I have no respect for Lombardi, but if Mayock believes in the guy, count me in

I don't know who decided to let Lombardi comment on personnel matters--the guy was part of, and fired from, some historically bad teams. I like Mayock, too, but all of these draft gurus are talking out of their asses.

I don't know who decided to let Lombardi comment on personnel matters--the guy was part of, and fired from, some historically bad teams.

It really is amazing. Anytime you need a jowly mook to make an unsubstantiated bad-faith claim that practically insults the listener with its bald-faced falsity , Mike Lombardi will be there.

It really is amazing. Anytime you need a jowly mook to make an unsubstantiated bad-faith claim that practically insults the listener with its bald-faced falsity , Mike Lombardi will be there.

Didnt Lombardi pick Jemarcus Russell?

I don't know who decided to let Lombardi comment on personnel matters--the guy was part of, and fired from, some historically bad teams. I like Mayock, too, but all of these draft gurus are talking out of their asses.

Mayock takes some fliers...No one is like Mel. He literally lives and dies the draft.

But Lombardi has a Foxboro slant, and seems to have an agenda....F-him

Lets be honest...Everyone had Gholston that high.....Literally thought Parcells was going to take him.

You put yourself out there enough, you'll eventually be wrong. Of all the guys on TV, seems to me Mayock is one of the better analysts

i dont buy Chandler Jones at any 1st round pick, let alone the Jets at 16. He doesn't flash when you watch Syracuse. There's nothing about his game that necessitates using that high of a pick. he's got injury concerns, he's got limited production. Basically what you are drafting him for is bloodlines (brother arthur on the ravens and brother Jon in the MMA) and wingspan. Pass. Big time pass. I'd personally take Coples, Ingram, Mercilus, Perry or Upshaw over Jones.And maybe Vinny curry too.

I see lots of mocks having Coples fallling at least to us and past....I'd love the Jets get this guy...even moreso than Melvin

people say Coples only plays when he wants to... ok well when he wants to he's completely dominant. like Johnny Abe plus 30 pounds. if Coples had the motor of Vinny Curry he'd be a top 3 pick.

people say Coples only plays when he wants to... ok well when he wants to he's completely dominant. like Johnny Abe plus 30 pounds. if Coples had the motor of Vinny Curry he'd be a top 3 pick.

People said Peppers took off plays when he was coming out.

If Coples is there, you take him and dont look back. That's what I'm hoping for at this point or Whitney or Jones.

so i just went back and watched some jones clips on youtube. to see If I was being overly harsh. I don't think I was. He doesn't do a whole lot on film. I like him in rd 2 or 3 developmental prospect but i don't see the appeal in rd 1. please let this whole thing be a huge smoke bomb

Archived