WR Jordan White, Western Michigan

Jetsfan80

I think you're overestimating Kerley nearly as much as you're underestimating Keller. Keller was the team's #1 receiver last season, and isn't likely to drop below #2. If Schilens and Hill split the #2 job, then maybe Kerley can slip in there as 3rd in repections/production - but even that's a reach. Last year he was also behind LT, and someone has to make up his catches. I think that someone'll mostly be McKnight, who had 13 catches himself last year.

I think the only sure thing is Holmes being pissed off about not getting the ball enough.

I think Kerley will see a nice jump in production from last season, and think he could even pick up a bunch of the catches of a guy like LT, as he'll be running a lot of underneath routes, but I agree he's probably not likely to be a top target. Keller has been Sanchez's favorite target 2 seasons running and was behind only Cotchery in Sanchez's rookie year. That's not about to change any time soon, and there's a reason there were already reports of Keller being the first guy the Jets were trying to work out an extension with who's going to be a FA next year.

You could be right on all accounts. We'll see... I will say, the combination of Kerley, Hill and even what White could represent (a poor man's Hines Ward or Cotchery) is exciting. Our FO hasn't done well drafting WRs since the stretch of bringing in Keyshawn, Chrebet, Coles and Santana. So if we can start drafting and developing our own WR talent regularly, it'll go a long way towards building this team right - which means not being stuck in the forever loop of paying FA WRs their 2nd and 3rd contracts to play for us.

The Jets actually haven't done all that badly with WR drafting in recent years, it's just that they've put so much little investment behind it. Cotchery and Stuckey (and if last season is any indication, also Kerley) certainly outproduced their draft spots and outside of those 3, there was only a couple of 7th rounders they tried on. Now obviously that's not enough to really judge, but the issue seems to have been more a matter of not even trying than it has been of trying and failing. I'm just hoping that's a good sign for what the Jets got for themselves this year.

Two things from this video:

1) White looks pretty good

2) Women have NO BUSINESS calling a football game.

I'm a Bronco, graduated in '97, so I like the guy for that reason. But I wish I saw more catches in the air.

Those were great passes; he only had to reach for a couple. I'd like to see film of him stretching out and beating a defender up high.

The Jets actually haven't done all that badly with WR drafting in recent years, it's just that they've put so much little investment behind it. Cotchery and Stuckey (and if last season is any indication, also Kerley) certainly outproduced their draft spots and outside of those 3, there was only a couple of 7th rounders they tried on. Now obviously that's not enough to really judge, but the issue seems to have been more a matter of not even trying than it has been of trying and failing. I'm just hoping that's a good sign for what the Jets got for themselves this year.

It seemed like the Jets were afraid of the bust-factor when it comes to drafting WRs. They weren't afraid to invest picks and money at the position (Edwards, Holmes, Plax), but they were afraid to spend anything higher than a fourth on a rookie. This, despite the fact that the higher picks they spent on Keyshawn, Coles, and Moss years ago were all good picks.

The Hill pick is very out of character for them in that regard, especially given his lack of production at the pro level. Have to say, I'm pretty psyched about it.

If White can somehow stick as the #5, all the better.

It seemed like the Jets were afraid of the bust-factor when it comes to drafting WRs. They weren't afraid to invest picks and money at the position (Edwards, Holmes, Plax), but they were afraid to spend anything higher than a fourth on a rookie. This, despite the fact that the higher picks they spent on Keyshawn, Coles, and Moss years ago were all good picks.

The Hill pick is very out of character for them in that regard, especially given his lack of production at the pro level. Have to say, I'm pretty psyched about it.

If White can somehow stick as the #5, all the better.

Yeah, completely agree, and I should have clarified what I said about investment, because you are absolutely right they've had no qualms about doing it with veteran players. The Hill pick was definitely out of character and I, like you, am pretty pumped about it. The guy's got a ton of upside and like I said before, when you really look at it all things considered, the Jets haven't done such a bad job scouting in that department in the few instances when they've actually given it a shot, even with lower picks.

...the Jets haven't done such a bad job scouting in that department in the few instances when they've actually given it a shot, even with lower picks.

I agree.

The other major Jets scandal leading up to the draft was that Clinkscales was leaving right after, and now it looks like he plans to retire from the Jets - whenever that is. I'm pretty happy about that, too.

Archived