Cimini Article on Hayden Smith

Ryno the Jet

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7891825/2012-nfl-draft-australian-native-hayden-smith-starred-rugby-now-trying-test-skills-nfl-jets

By Rich Cimini

ESPNNewYork.com

Rugby star getting shot with Jets

Former Rugby Star Looks To Make Jets

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- In the middle of his first practice with the New York Jets -- in fact, the first football practice of his life -- Hayden Smith paused to say he was sorry.

The 6-foot-6, 255-pound tight end apologized to free-agent punter Travis Baltz after running into him during an overzealous moment in a noncontact, special-teams drill Friday in the Jets' rookie minicamp -- a no-no that drew an immediate penalty flag.

"That was 'Play on' in rugby," Smith said later with a sheepish smile.

The NFL is a long way from the Saracens Football Club, Smith's rugby team in England.

Smith, 27, a native Australian who ascended to the highest levels of international rugby, walked away from the sport he dominated to give American football a try. He signed with the Jets on April 3, and there he was Friday, wearing No. 82, running pass routes and learning the basics of the sport.

A rookie minicamp can be a head-spinning experience, even for those who have played the game since they were 8 years old in Pop Warner, so imagine what it felt like for Smith.

He can forget about scrums and rucks; he needs to concentrate on blitz recognition, hot routes and combination blocks.

Smith went from a sport of hard knocks to a team known for "Hard Knocks," the reality TV show. He never played organized football, so everything was a first on Day 1. The mundane task of putting on his helmet became a big deal. Rugby players, as you know, have no protection.

"The helmet, I guess, becomes like a second skin," said Smith, adding that he adjusted to it quicker than he anticipated. "I'm sure some of my rugby mates would be having a real laugh if they saw me with a helmet on."

After a pause, he added, "It's quite cool."

Smith is built solidly, runs the 40 in 4.7 seconds and displays natural hand-eye coordination, probably a product of his basketball-playing days. Before taking up rugby, he played basketball at Metropolitan State, a Division II school in Denver.

Every team is looking for the next Antonio Gates, trying to mold a non-football-playing project into a star tight end.

"It's crazy to think this guy never put on a helmet before today, never ran a route, never did anything like that," coach Rex Ryan said. "When he's out there, could you really tell that?"

Ryan shrugged his shoulders, as if to say you couldn't tell he was a football neophyte.

"He certainly looks the part," he said, adding, "I would not bet against this young man."

There have been seven Australian-born players in NFL history, according to databaseFootball.com, but only one non-kicker -- defensive tackle Colin Scotts, who played only seven games with the San Diego Chargers in 1987. But he played college ball at Hawaii; Smith is starting from ground zero.

"It's always been a dream of mine," said Smith, who grew up watching the NFL.

Smith said it was "quite overwhelming at first" when he received his playbook and started studying the Jets' offense. Tight ends coach Mike Devlin tried a novel approach, asking Smith to supply popular rugby terms. That way, Devlin figured, he'd be able to teach him the football equivalent.

That was the hope, anyway.

"That didn't work out," Devlin said, smiling. "We had to scrap everything."

Devlin and Ryan praised Smith's work ethic, saying he has an insatiable desire to learn the game as quickly as he can. There will be days, they said, when Smith is on the practice field alone, practicing his routes.

There will be mistakes, of course. In his first practice, Smith ran an in-cut that went too far in. He got caught up in traffic in the middle of the field. Offensive coordinator Tony Sparano, in his bullhorn voice, let him hear about it.

"Don't go in there, Aussie," Sparano barked. "If you go in there, it's really going to turn into one of those rugby things."

A scrum, he meant.

When Smith made a nice catch, some of his teammates yelled, "Aussie!" -- his new nickname.

Smith's track record suggests he's a fast learner. He didn't start playing rugby until 2008 and within a year, he was playing professionally in England. He was so good that he played in the 2011 Rugby World Cup.

He gave it up to pursue his NFL dream, hiring former University of Minnesota coach Tim Brewster to be his personal coach. Brewster has experience in teaching the tight-end position to non-football players. In fact, he was Gates' position coach with the Chargers from 2002 to 2004, helping him make the transition from college basketball.

Smith performed a combine-style workout and sent the video to NFL teams. In February, the Jets brought him in for an interview, requesting that he bring his rugby highlight tape. Devlin doesn't know anything about rugby, but knows the attributes it takes to play tight end.

"You saw some things he could do in the tight end world," Devlin said.

Beyond starter Dustin Keller, the Jets don't much experience at tight end. Smith will get a legitimate shot, but he realizes a spot on the 53-man roster won't be easy. If he shows enough promise, he could be a candidate for the practice squad.

"I understand the situation I'm in," he said. "However, I wouldn't be a competitor -- I wouldn't be a professional athlete -- if I wasn't expecting to do well. My goal is to make the team. Right now, I'm massively enjoying the process."

Smith already has learned a few things about the NFL. The "training sessions," as he called them, are more regimented than rugby. He marveled at the quick pace, how quickly the plays are run, how every drill is dictated by a clock.

P

He also expressed his admiration for the toughness of the players, dismissing the notion that NFL players have it easier than rugby guys because they wear so much padding. The amount of equipment, he said, doesn't detract from the courage of those wearing it.

"I've watched enough American football to know there's a definite reason why guys wear helmets and pads," he said. "The very fact that you do, the helmet becomes more of a weapon in a lot of circumstances. I have an appreciation for it.

But sometimes a player has to know when to put on the brakes. Smith learned that on his first day, seeking out the punter after running into him.

"It was nothing intended," Smith said. "He knows I'm coming from a little different situation."

i dont get it, every "expert" on tv say the jets are a joke couples a bad pic they think the tebow thing is going to inplode.I are we that bad it make me crazy

I will say this...I am DIGGING all the "experts" blasting the Coples pick. Blasting the Jets chances this year. This team needs something to rally around and "Us" vs "Them" is exactly what this locker room needs.

Shoulda drafted orson charles. just sayin'.

charles isn't really big enough to be that different than Keller. I could see the Jets drafting a 6'5" 260 pound dude to be a TE2. Orson Charles is a poor man's Keller.

I will say this...I am DIGGING all the "experts" blasting the Coples pick.

The "experts" pre draft turn into morons post draft. the grades just become a placeholder for team bias. If you hate the Jets you hate the Coples pick. if the Steelers or Cowboys had drafted Coples it would have been an astute pick. BL they got a guy with top 5 talent and even with his motor at half speed he has more career sacks than any of the other 1st round pass rushers. He could be really really good.

as for Hayden Smith his lack of TE skills won't kill his roster chances it will be all about special teams. Many of these college guys are not aware of the right way to play special teams so he's gonna be in the mix if he can learn what Westoff has to say. PSquad would be best for his chances as a real TE but he could make the 53 man on special teams alone. Kickoff coverage or wedge blocker isn't really a technique heavy spot. it's more about how crazy and tough a player is...

The "experts" pre draft turn into morons post draft. the grades just become a placeholder for team bias. If you hate the Jets you hate the Coples pick. if the Steelers or Cowboys had drafted Coples it would have been an astute pick. BL they got a guy with top 5 talent and even with his motor at half speed he has more career sacks than any of the other 1st round pass rushers. He could be really really good.

They are keying in on the motor. He doesn't play hard, giving the impression that he isn't a hard worker. Take one look at this guy and you can see he isn't afraid of hard work.

Nobody seems to give Rex credit for knowing a thing or two about defensive lineman. They jump on the Jets missed on Gholston and leave it at that. Some of the 3-4 , 4-3 points I think are valid. But Rex and Pettine know what they want to do with this kid.

as for Hayden Smith his lack of TE skills won't kill his roster chances it will be all about special teams. Many of these college guys are not aware of the right way to play special teams so he's gonna be in the mix if he can learn what Westoff has to say. PSquad would be best for his chances as a real TE but he could make the 53 man on special teams alone. Kickoff coverage or wedge blocker isn't really a technique heavy spot. it's more about how crazy and tough a player is...

Definitely get the impression he is fearless. That said, running down the field on special teams when your awareness isn't 100% up to speed is a recipe for getting leveled a time or two. Once he gets up from those hits, if he is still fearless he should be okay.

I'm more than shocked that Cimini referred to him as a Rugby Star, I figured he would have been the first one to mention how he never truly excelled at either basketball or rugby. Something is amiss with this article; I think Cimini phoned in that day and an intern ghost-wrote it. That having been said, this is just another one of those guys that helps to make training camp entertaining, by hoping they have a breakthrough. If he fails, it doesn't seem that it will be due to lack of effort.

I will say this...I am DIGGING all the "experts" blasting the Coples pick. Blasting the Jets chances this year. This team needs something to rally around and "Us" vs "Them" is exactly what this locker room needs.

yes we need something i dont know what but something we need to shut people up

• 3 months later...

Archived