DeGuglielmo: Wayne Hunter is Starting RT.

flgreen

BG Turner was a good back up and that is all. Never expected him to start but he filled a role. With what we went into last season with and the way the line fell apart when Mangold got hurt are you comfortable with Ducasse and Schlauderaff ?

Im fine with the starters and Im fine if the Jets feel Hunter will rebound since we did see him play well the year before last at the end of the season and through the playoffs, but If one guy goes down Im not sure what we have to step in wont cause the entire line to impolde again

Well all I know is the team seems to be in love with Schlauderaff and chose him over Turner, so that's hopefully a good sign for what they have in him. Beyond that it seems the team's mindset is that when you combine the elements of improving off a down year, hoping to be healthier this year and hoping for the improvement of some of their younger players, that should do the trick. That's not to mention any improvements they're expecting based on the coaching changes. Whether or not that works out remains to be seen, but if the Jets can't even get one of these guys heading to camp to come away as good or better of an option than Turner, then the team has a lot bigger problems they need to look at.

Well all I know is the team seems to be in love with Schlauderaff and chose him over Turner, so that's hopefully a good sign for what they have in him. Beyond that it seems the team's mindset is that when you combine the elements of improving off a down year, hoping to be healthier this year and hoping for the improvement of some of their younger players, that should do the trick. That's not to mention any improvements they're expecting based on the coaching changes. Whether or not that works out remains to be seen, but if the Jets can't even get one of these guys heading to camp to come away as good or better of an option than Turner, then the team has a lot bigger problems they need to look at.

YEah I agree but keep in mind when Turner was healthy the previous year he came in as a Blocking TE in the running game which also seemed to slip terribly last year. Turner did do a very good job in that respect. Not to say just because Turner was out we flopped but Im sure it had some effect.

What would have made me happy is if we went after a legit starter and moved either Hunter or Slauson to back up duty because that would have solidified both the line and their backups. Winston would have been nice at RT and he went relatively cheap from what I remember a 4 year 20 mil contract

Im sure we will get a good dose of the back ups in preseason hope its nothing like last year when Powell couldnt gain a yard getting killed in the backfield and McElroy was getting slammed as well.

For 2 million I'm happy that Turner is somewhere else to backup. Him not being here was not the reason last year went the way it went, and he's not going to do a whole lot towards fixing it. He might have been the least physically talented OL on the roster anyway...

For 2 million I'm happy that Turner is somewhere else to backup. Him not being here was not the reason last year went the way it went, and he's not going to do a whole lot towards fixing it. He might have been the least physically talented OL on the roster anyway...

He was nothing more than fine as a backup. Also he was a complete knucklehead who was hardly immune to late game and red zone penalties.

He was nothing more than fine as a backup. Also he was a complete knucklehead who was hardly immune to late game and red zone penalties.

what I hope is that with Schottenheimer (finally) gone we won't NEED these kind of formations as much as we did with him and all of his pre-snap shifting around. The Jets wasted so much energy and brain power running back and forth before the ball was even snapped than any NFL team that I have EVER seen, and I've been watching this game for almost 50 years now...

He takes a not so veiled swipe at Callahan. Sort of insinuating that Callahan had something in his blocking scheme that made Hunter suck.

IDK

But then again Hunter played fairly well at the end of 2010. We'll see, but if the OL coach has anything to say about it there won't even be competition in camp for the spot.

I hate when coaches announce starters in May

He didn't announce the starters at all. He talked up the most maligned player. As for starters, his response was that he "talks to the powers that be". He doesn't even pick the starters. He's just going to bat for his players. It's really not that a big a deal.

I do agree that last year pretty much outweighs the other 8 years of Hunter's otherwise solid NFL career. I mean if you can't block for Mark Sanchez, who can you block for?

Why doesn't Hunter get the "yeah well Schotty did it" card that everyone else on the offense (except Holmes) gets?

Callahan = awesome running game. Having a bad running game with Callahan means the players are the worst in history. There is no hope that any of these guys get better. I thought the guy's last quote was a bit much, but when I read how much credit Callahan gets around here while Schotty is crucified, I can hardly blame him. He's an assistant coach.

This is what makes Hunter such a mystery. He did play very well when Woody was out, and Callahan did call him "the most physically gifted O-linemen on the team." Now, another O-line coach is talking about him like he's Orlando Pace. The Jets really need him to come around and if he can get back to playing the way he did a couple of years ago, the O-line will be fine. Obviously hoping last year was an abberation.

Rex and a bunch of the other players said stuff like that about Wayne Hunter as well. That he is the player they'd want next to them walking down a dark alley, toughest guy on the team, etc.

Well the CS certainly seem convinced he can do it, The Jets have made NO attempt to replace him. Now they are saying there won't even be a competition.

I guess we'll have to trust them, they see him every day. Maybe Callahan did screw the OL up last year. Sure hoe they are right. i still have nightmares about Adrian Clarke

Wayne Hunter was worlds better than Adrien Clarke. He had a pretty awful year, but Clarke was beyond horrific.

I hear ya SFJ. That's what worries me. They keep talking Vlad up, Tannenbaum says Hunter will have to compete, now DeGuglielmo says they will have to shoot him if Hunter doesn't start.

Someone speaks with forked tongue.

It's just bullsh*t talk. Every team does it, but because the Jets coaching staff chatters so much and we all read it people try to read something into it.

Turner was a solid "do everything" type backup, which is certainly nice to have, but I don't get the big hard-on for the guy. The team didn't even attempt to bring him back, so what does that really tell you. The Jets clearly really like Schlauderaff and sounds sure to already be planted as the first guy off the bench for the interior line (and perhaps even the heir apparent at whatever starting G spot opens up first), with Ducasse serving as the same for the tackle spots. While I can get not being 100% sold on the OL due to the down year, but I'm not sure what a guy like Turner was going to do about that. Let's not forget, he's the same guy who they wouldn't even let compete for the LG job two years ago.

I think most of the board remembers him as the "guy that fought Vernon Gholston" so they all love him. Also he rarely played his actual position, so he had a built in excuse for anything other than perfection.

Archived