The role of narrative in a mafia game...

Integrity28

Dear aficianados of teh mafia goodness,

I have noticed something over the past couple of months about the quality of our games here at JN. Something missing. In pointing this out, my intent is not to besmirch the efforts of those that have moderated games in this time, but more specifically to remind everyone, JN veterans and dragon wizard pixie dust elves alike, that mafia is about more than just counting votes and posting scenes... it is about allowing the events of the game to construct a story arc.

Think about the way DRP, Vic, SMC, BG, Pac and I have run games... we take a theme, or make one up, and introduce the "premise" and the "cast". From there, we weave together a story, providing continuity from one scene to the next. Allowing the events, interactions, stupidity and outcomes to inspire not just the death scenes, but other scenes as well, and all of them interconnected, sometimes providing laughs, sometimes providing confusion, other times providing clues, always purposeful ... a Cylon being activated, Sloth loving Chunk, Tony Montana laughing in the face of the law, the scenes authored from the point of view of a scum team member talking into a tape recorder, a Wookie committing drunken suicide...

This should be the standard for all JN mafia. Great stories, great people, great insults and great game play. Keep JN in the position of being the home of the highest quality mafia play on the interwebz!!!

Warmest regards,

monocle_monkey.jpg

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always appreciate when people tell a story or even just add a dash of flavor to their games. However I don't think it's required to have a good, great, or amazing game. I really believe that happens from gameplay. Everything else is just icing. Personally I'm largely incapable of writing flavor story/scenes. My scenes are generally too long and rambley or too short and incoherent. I also feel that it's often the case that people read too much into scenes, I'm guilty of it myself. So that's why I only have scenes every now and then in my games. They're the icing for games I felt deserve that extra something.

I always appreciate when people tell a story or even just add a dash of flavor to their games. However I don't think it's required to have a good, great, or amazing game. I really believe that happens from gameplay. Everything else is just icing. Personally I'm largely incapable of writing flavor story/scenes. My scenes are generally too long and rambley or too short and incoherent. I also feel that it's often the case that people read too much into scenes, I'm guilty of it myself. So that's why I only have scenes every now and then in my games. They're the icing for games I felt deserve that extra something.

Reading into scenes, or not, is part of the layer cake of WIFOM that IS mafia.

I appreciate where you are coming from, I mostly just bored today ... and miss some of the players that introduced me to the game. :)

For me that's the best part about modding. It's why I prefer theme's that have a good background story.

Agreed.

Eh. Not everyone is a good writer, but still has a variation of Mafia they want to bring to the table. HG comes to mind for me.

I'm not a good writer, well, at least I didn't think I was until I put more energy into it. That said, everyone brings something different to the table, and everyone looks for something different in their mafia... I get that.

I didn't start this thread as a criticism, so I hope it doesn't resonate as such. I was just making a rallying cry for those that DO like the narrative style...

Eh. Not everyone is a good writer, but still has a variation of Mafia they want to bring to the table. HG comes to mind for me.

I think you need to run a Clay Matthews Mafia game. That would be full of engrossing funny disturbing narrative.

I'd just like to say that I think this is a good reason why collaboration and comodding can be so amazing. You put the people with the good setups together with the good writers and you have yourself an excellent mafia game.

I agree, Ape. Great post. Narrative is very important.

DMers, it's not a criticism per se. It's just a call for you guys to raise your game.

I'm itching to mod again, but I have to be honest, the site format still bugs me. I have an interesting take on INCEPTION, but it'll call for a lot of PMing which I think is kinda a bitch in this site format compared to the older one.

Suck me.

You lot didn't like my story last game, so I didn't do it this one.

This has nothing to do with you... holy crap, you really are Lady Ape. I started a generalized conversation, even included the stipulation that it wasn't pointed at anyone in particular, and you make it about yourself.

I'd just like to say that I think this is a good reason why collaboration and comodding can be so amazing. You put the people with the good setups together with the good writers and you have yourself an excellent mafia game.

This. Great point... I believe I have now had a vote counter in 2 of my games, in one of them it was a designated role, and it does create a situation where modding isn't so consuming that doing scenes becomes stress.

I agree, Ape. Great post. Narrative is very important.

DMers, it's not a criticism per se. It's just a call for you guys to raise your game.

I'm itching to mod again, but I have to be honest, the site format still bugs me. I have an interesting take on INCEPTION, but it'll call for a lot of PMing which I think is kinda a bitch in this site format compared to the older one.

The old site format was better for PMing and for re-searching people's posts in a thread. It still drives me nuts that you used to be able to click on the total post count, all the names would pop-up with the amount of responses, and then you could click that number and it would give you a thread of all that individuals replies, chronologically, in just the game thread. It was great.

The search feature of this format blows, and so does the inability to splice a single thread by user.

This has nothing to do with you... holy crap, you really are Lady Ape. I started a generalized conversation, even included the stipulation that it wasn't pointed at anyone in particular, and you make it about yourself.

I co-Modded and am currently Modding the past two games...

And you post it during this time?

... Don't call me the Lady Ape.

It still drives me nuts that you used to be able to click on the total post count, all the names would pop-up with the amount of responses, and then you could click that number and it would give you a thread of all that individuals replies, chronologically, in just the game thread. It was great.

Wow that sounds incredibly useful

I co-Modded and am currently Modding the past two games...

And you post it during this time?

... Don't call me the Lady Ape.

Yes, but its been an ongoing observation going back far before you even started playing here. It goes back to the point where we decided to play year-round. JN used to ONLY play mafia in the off-season.

So... I dunno, shut up.

I stopped reading those things.

Ape has made them completely unreadable and miserable. Its disgusting. The dead thread used to be fun. Even back when SMC was doing his thing, still fun. Now Ape is SMC x100. Its so bad. Cant even believe it. He was literally having a conversation about how great he is and how stupid everyone in the game was, all be himself.

///pukes

isn't that what everyone does in a dead thread?

No. We used to laugh and crack jokes and make fun of ourselves. Then SMC started to critic the game like it was his job. And somewhere along the lines, the Ape took it to the unbearable level that it is now. I wont even post in there anymore.

It used to be my thread of fun epicness. Now, its Ape disgusting diary of how to play mafia, why everyone sucks and why he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Sooooo gross.

No. We used to laugh and crack jokes and make fun of ourselves. Then SMC started to critic the game like it was his job. And somewhere along the lines, the Ape took it to the unbearable level that it is now. I wont even post in there anymore.

It used to be my thread of fun epicness. Now, its Ape disgusting diary of how to play mafia, why everyone sucks and why he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Sooooo gross.

That and somewhere along the lines I said somethings that bothered some folks so I just dont' bother commenting. Dead threads were awesome..

That and somewhere along the lines I said somethings that bothered some folks so I just dont' bother commenting. Dead threads were awesome..

Yeah that too...and they'd come from out of nowhere. Very uncomfortable for everyone else reading.

Ape has made them completely unreadable and miserable. Its disgusting. The dead thread used to be fun. Even back when SMC was doing his thing, still fun. Now Ape is SMC x100. Its so bad. Cant even believe it. He was literally having a conversation about how great he is and how stupid everyone in the game was, all be himself.

///pukes

Thanks, I guess. LOL

BTW, when are you doing CTF? Let me get my game in next after Christine's since I haven't modded this season yet. Thanks!

Thanks, I guess. LOL

BTW, when are you doing CTF? Let me get my game in next after Christine's since I haven't modded this season yet. Thanks!

Haha. You're welcome. lol

Yeah, thats fine. I can run it whenever. I've had it ready to go for a while.

Ape is on super high horse these days. Just wait till you guys read the dead thread.

I'm going to run my capture the flag game soon, and there will be no narrative and you'll love it.

So Ape, gfy

I actually took it easy this time around...

I stopped reading those things.

Yeah, when I load them with insults I do so figuring that CTM, Pac and JIF will be the only idiots that spend the time it takes to read it all... and then try to argue with me about sh*t I wrote 2 weeks ago. It gives me lulz...

Archived