biggest holes left to fill

kay_gee

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So basically because Greene isn't an elite RB and the passing game sucks, Green sucks?

Reeeeaaaallllly sh*tttty logic.

Greene sucks because Greene sucks. PFF had him dead last in broken tackles. Unless he's going untouched for the first 3 yards, he offer's nothing. He cant make lateral cuts to another hole. He's a big guy that knows how to run through obvious holes.

Greene sucks because Greene sucks. PFF had him dead last in broken tackles. Unless he's going untouched for the first 3 yards, he offer's nothing. He cant make lateral cuts to another hole. He's a big guy that knows how to run through obvious holes.

Which is an issue because....?

Which is an issue because....?

I was hoping we'd be able to score points this year.

The obvious holes that were there in 2009 that him and Jones benefited from, aren't there anymore. LT made 2 less people miss on 200 less carries last season.

Considering the trifecta you're debating, the rebuttals to statistical tracking should provide a level of entertainment on the day that rivals Amare's brilliant twitter responses.

Yeah those dang nerds and their numbers are ruining mah sports.. ****in blows my mind you're convinced I'm anti-numbers.

Im talking strictly the offense. Special teams and defensive TD's do not count.

OK

Then we will do the Historically worst team. The 73 Bucs at 125 points. I will have to go through their record and see how many, if any, of those points were not scored by the offense

That was the point of the link you didn't click.

No, it really isn't. It actually supports his point. 4.8% and an extra 80 effective yards is not enough to make up for Sanchez. Green isn't bad, but he also isn't very good either. If superlatives are your problem in this discussion, I might suggest that you personally want to lay off in that regard considering the capabilities of Max's wonderful new search feature.

No, it really isn't. It actually supports his point. 4.8% and an extra 80 effective yards is not enough to make up for Sanchez. Green isn't bad, but he also isn't very good either. If superlatives are your problem in this discussion, I might suggest that you personally want to lay off in that regard considering the capabilities of Max's wonderful new search feature.

I don't think it is Greene's job to make up for Sanchez. The third round pick one year starter in college probably shouldn't be expected to make up for the top 5 pick's deficiencies. The point is he doesn't suck and is a capable RB.

I don't think it is Greene's job to make up for Sanchez.

Of course it isn't. And that's also hardly the point. His overall point is that without a better RB, the offense stays stagnant. Which is true. Greene's a decent fit for teams without QB problems. This team? Not so much.

When defenses stack the box because they dont fear your passing game, you gain less rushing yards.

When you gain less rushing yards, you get into predictable passing situations.

When you get into predictable passing situations, the defense sends blitzers to expose your weakest Olinemen.

When your weakest Olinemen is exposed, the fans want that weakness addressed in the draft or FA.

When that weakness is not addressed, the fans turn to the interwebs to vent about their frustrations with their team.

When fans vent about their frustrations with their team, baby jesus cries.

dont make baby jesus cry...

OK

Then we will do the Historically worst team. The 76 Bucs at 125 points. I will have to go through their record and see how many, if any, of those points were not scored by the offense. That was also a 14 game season so we will prorate it to 16 games. That brings it to 145 points for the season. I will have to go in and see if any points are deducted for other then offensive points.

Have to do that later,

Exactly. This place cracks me up. Worst roster in the league but the biggest holes are pretty much the easiest to fill. lol

no doubt we have holes in areas easy to fill, so easy, we never seem to fill them.

That none are filled (or appear to have merited attempts to fill), seems puzzling unless the Jets FO and coaching staff don't believe they are holes at all.

He offers zero big play ability. We had the least amount of big plays i the league from our passing game last season and our QB is back....complimenting a sh*tty passing game with a slow footed running back who cant catch is idiotic.

IMO, Sanchez inability/unwillingness to throw downfield contributed to the problems with the Jets running game last season. Teams figured out that Sanchez likes to throw to his check-downs, so they crowded the LOS which hampered both the short passing game and the running game. The reason that Sanchez had success passing late in games in 2009 and 2010 was because teams tend to play prevent Ds when they get ahead late, so the DBs play "off" the receivers, making it easier for even poor QBs to find open receivers downfield. In 2011, teams just stopped with the prevent, and Sanchez had much less success completing passes late.

Sanchez just does NOT process what he's seeing on the field very well or very fast, so he doesn't make good defensive reads, doesn't see open receivers, and compensates by tossing to his check-downs, hence 3 yard passes on 3rd and 9s with no YAC because the safeties wrap up. If he goes through his progressions, he's NOT going through them fast enough, hence Sanchez's indecision and either holding the ball too long and getting sacked or throwing late.

Sanchez improving his game would improve the Jets running game, but Shonn Greene is what he is: a pretty mediocre RB, and certainly NOT one to make a "ground and pound" style offense go very far.

You have a bet.

Historically 3 three of the worst teams ever were the 76 Bucs 125 points The 71 Bills 184 points scored, and Houston in 73 199 points scored.

Taking the average points scored of the historically 3 worst teams, I'll bet you $1,000 the Jets score more then 169 points in 2012

Those teams all played 14 game seasons. You should use the 3 worst scoring teams from the 16 game season era, which started in 1978.

I also think that you should NOT include defensive or ST scoring.

Of course it isn't. And that's also hardly the point. His overall point is that without a better RB, the offense stays stagnant. Which is true. Greene's a decent fit for teams without QB problems. This team? Not so much.

I think that Greene is really a 2nd RB not the starter. As others have noted, he doesn't have speed or tackle-breaking ability or agility/elusiveness. I would think that a starting RB needs to have 2 of the three. Being a good pass catcher is probably a necessity for a starting RB in today's pass-oriented NFL as well.

I think that Greene is really a 2nd RB not the starter. As others have noted, he doesn't have speed or tackle-breaking ability or agility/elusiveness. I would think that a starting RB needs to have 2 of the three. Being a good pass catcher is probably a necessity for a starting RB in today's pass-oriented NFL as well.

Pretty much. Depends on the team. Greene's average enough to be the workhorse on a team whose QB can spread the field. But he's not enough of a consistent playmaker ala AD or Rice to carry the offense when the QB is sucking. Which, for us, is often.

Considering the trifecta you're debating, the rebuttals to statistical tracking should provide a level of entertainment on the day that rivals Amare's brilliant twitter responses.

I hardly think Matt's one to make any sort of judgment in that regard. This is literally the first time I've ever seen his endless whining about everything the Jets do be even slightly supported by a single fact-based statement. It's normally just an endless stream about how everything they do is the worst ever, the biggest joke ever, historically bad, etc. He got lucky to stumble across a single number somewhere out there that worked in with one of those statements for a change.

I know you're hardly an optimist when it comes to this team, and you know I'm not either, but you can't seriously believe that any of this "historically bad" crap he keeps spewing has even the slightest bit of merit to it. And I'd hardly call it purely a matter of superlatives considering he's been repeating the same things for months on end (ever since his beloved Giants got themselves another ring), and he is throwing down guarantees with offers to back them up with bets (which he of course won't actually make).

I will think about it.

Im talking strictly the offense. Special teams and defensive TD's do not count.

So the Jets offense is going to go from 13th in the league in scoring from last season, to dead last, and even worse, they are going to be historically low the worst offense in the history of the NFL.

Based on what exactly? This is one of the funnier paranoia comments I can ever remember. I'm willing to bet every last penny I have that this will certainly not be the case.

I hardly think Matt's one to make any sort of judgment in that regard. This is literally the first time I've ever seen his endless whining about everything the Jets do be even slightly supported by a single fact-based statement. It's normally just an endless stream about how everything they do is the worst ever, the biggest joke ever, historically bad, etc. He got lucky to stumble across a single number somewhere out there that worked in with one of those statements for a change.

I know you're hardly an optimist when it comes to this team, and you know I'm not either, but you can't seriously believe that any of this "historically bad" crap he keeps spewing has even the slightest bit of merit to it. And I'd hardly call it purely a matter of superlatives considering he's been repeating the same things for months on end (ever since his beloved Giants got themselves another ring), and he is throwing down guarantees with offers to back them up with bets (which he of course won't actually make).

If you want to give me 5:1 odds that the Jets will score less than 200 points this season on offense...I will bet you 100 bucks.

That none are filled (or appear to have merited attempts to fill), seems puzzling unless the Jets FO and coaching staff don't believe they are holes at all.

Just because the Jets didnt go make a bunch of FA's splashes like some other teams ;-), doesnt mean they didnt address them. They drafted a RB, a T, signed 2 safeties and drafted 2 and signed a couple of FA TE's.

And I know this is crazy but some teams actually have faith in players to show up who've kept on the roster from previous seasons.

Archived