Mangold heads to London to watch sister compete in the Olympics

T0mShane

Well, good.

Jets' Nick Mangold will watch sister compete in London Olympics

Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

08/04/2012 8:33 AM

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- Nick Mangold is on his way to London after all.

The Jets center originally did not plan on making the trip to watch his younger sister, Holley, compete in the Olympic weightlifting competition, explaining that he did not want to let his teammates down by missing time in training camp. But Mangold changed his mind, posting on his Twitter account this morning that he is on his way to support his sister.

Coach Rex Ryan gave Mangold permission to go months ago, and wasn't taking no for an answer.

"We're not there yet, but I am laying the guilt trip on him and everything else," Ryan said Wednesday. "You know what? His teammates understand. I think they are pushing him as well. It is not just me."

The U.S. women's weightlifting team's medal competition is Sunday. The Jets have their Green and White scrimmage tonight and are off tomorrow.

CBSSports.com first reported Mangold's decision.

Not for nothing, but I've watched the several features on TV about Holly, and when ever they show Nick around her, he's kind of an unsupportive dick. Not even in a funny way either. I kind of feel bad for the chick. The fact that Rex had to convince him to go support her is pretty sad.

Not for nothing, but I've watched the several features on TV about Holly, and when ever they show Nick around her, he's kind of an unsupportive dick. Not even in a funny way either. I kind of feel bad for the chick. The fact that Rex had to convince him to go support her is pretty sad.

i noticed that too. She was on MTVs True Life and he was a complete a$$hole to her. Not like big brother to little sister a$$hole, but like just complete ****ing a$$hole.

Wow, I have only seen one or two things about her. That sucks if he treats his sister like that.

Wow, I have only seen one or two things about her. That sucks if he treats his sister like that.

The only thing I can say is from what the cameras have caught. She doesn't even seemed to get phased by it, but you can tell she's annoyed. The True Life thing Joe referenced, he was such a tool in it. Ripped on her and said weight lifting isn't even a real sport...etc. And she was clearly a chick with some self esteem issues at the time. Like dude, wanna lighten up on her a little bit? You're her ****ing brother.

The only thing I can say is from what the cameras have caught. She doesn't even seemed to get phased by it, but you can tell she's annoyed. The True Life thing Joe referenced, he was such a tool in it. Ripped on her and said weight lifting isn't even a real sport...etc. And she was clearly a chick with some self esteem issues at the time. Like dude, wanna lighten up on her a little bit? You're her ****ing brother.

Weightlifting isnt even a real sport. XD

We're mean to you, and you're not an olympian. Science.

Did Nick ever answer why Holley was sleeping on the floor of her friend's laundry room while she was training for the Olympics? I never question the ugly parts of someone's family dynamic, but that was cold.

Archived