Jets Sign WRs Arukewe And Collins

JetNation

Post image for Jets Sign WRs Arukewe And Collins

Well after waiving 3 receivers in the past two days, the Jets have signed two receivers Steve Arukewe and Joe Collins.

Steve Arukewe is an undrafted rookie from Troy who was signed with the Arizona Cardinals until he was waived on August 1st.

Joe Collins is a 2nd year undrafted player from Weber State who spent some time in the CFL before signing with the Jets.

di
di

mC5nH35cexE

View the full article

When Cromartie is your second best wide out (arguably first), you gotta go out and make moves.

You're buying that line too eh? :D

All the guys getting signed and cut are to round out the bottom of the roster and PS. Special teams types. If Schillens can stay healthy and Hill can get acclimated to the NFL game Cromartie would be 5th on the WR depth chart considering Kerley as well. lol

I like that Cro is talking like that to get the Wr's a little peeved. It's letting them know that they have to step up imo.

You're buying that line too eh? :biggrin:

All the guys getting signed and cut are to round out the bottom of the roster and PS. Special teams types. If Schillens can stay healthy and Hill can get acclimated to the NFL game Cromartie would be 5th on the WR depth chart considering Kerley as well. lol

I like that Cro is talking like that to get the Wr's a little peeved. It's letting them know that they have to step up imo.

Haha! Well, its more me loving the guy's swagger and physical ability. I am a fan, yes. Do I think he can actually be a wide receiver? Sure. Do I think he will try to cut back way too much and cause losses... possibly. But you know it will be fun to watch.

We are trying to find magic in a bottle.. or some other cliche. We need a spark, and are hoping the rest of the league missed out on someone. Stranger stuff has happened. I am happy this testing the waters is happening now, instead of when we are 5-0.

Schilens? I really hope that is not where we are all resting our hopes and aspirations on the season. Cause that dude couldn't stay healthy living in a bubble.

I hate Holmes. Unrelated, but thought I'd just throw it out there.

Anybody hear any mention of Eron Riley? I haven't seen anything about him in camp and he's apparently behind former 2nd round bust Dexter Jackson on the depth chart. He's been with the team since last season. He is tall and fast. I have seen times as low as 4.29 credited to him, but there were questions about his speed before he timed and I think those were (be skeptical) pro day times. In fact, I think his coach described it as a 4.36. He was skinny coming out, some books list him at 6'3" 185, but has put on some weight. He's had some good preseason games - almost 150 yards and a TD from Tebow with the Broncos. Is he doing anything in camp or is he just another guy with tools that isn't going to make it? I would think he could at least push Patrick Turner.

As a side note: Are we trying to build the anti-smurfs here? We seem to load up on tall fast guys lately. I guess if you are going to take a shot do it with speed and size. You can't coach that. We did draft White and Kerley (and Scottie McKnight!), but Schillens, Hill and a bunch of the FAs have been tall and fast. I guess Jackson is a shrimp, but he can also fly (alleged 4.27) and has kick return ability.

You're buying that line too eh? :biggrin:

Schillens has never been healthy and 1st year receivers usually struggle. That leaves us with Santonio and Kerley and Kerley has been getting dogged in camp. This is not good.

Schillens has never been healthy and 1st year receivers usually struggle. That leaves us with Santonio and Kerley and Kerley has been getting dogged in camp. This is not good.

They do have Keller, Cumberland and McKnight. Cumberland and McKnight should be viable receiving options, but for some reason it didn't seem they have been used as such. I guess Cumberland got hurt pretty early, but you'd think they would split them wide from time to time.

Anybody hear any mention of Eron Riley? I haven't seen anything about him in camp and he's apparently behind former 2nd round bust Dexter Jackson on the depth chart. He's been with the team since last season. He is tall and fast. I have seen times as low as 4.29 credited to him, but there were questions about his speed before he timed and I think those were (be skeptical) pro day times. In fact, I think his coach described it as a 4.36. He was skinny coming out, some books list him at 6'3" 185, but has put on some weight. He's had some good preseason games - almost 150 yards and a TD from Tebow with the Broncos. Is he doing anything in camp or is he just another guy with tools that isn't going to make it? I would think he could at least push Patrick Turner.

As a side note: Are we trying to build the anti-smurfs here? We seem to load up on tall fast guys lately. I guess if you are going to take a shot do it with speed and size. You can't coach that. We did draft White and Kerley (and Scottie McKnight!), but Schillens, Hill and a bunch of the FAs have been tall and fast. I guess Jackson is a shrimp, but he can also fly (alleged 4.27) and has kick return ability.

I think the idea on overloading with the tall/fast guys is the fact that they look at the two guys who already have their places in the WR rotation cemented in Holmes and Kerley, and they see that's what their biggest need is in this WR corps. And while he may not have been fast, the Jets let walk last year's big WR option in Plax, so it's a spot that needs to be replaced. So I think this is one of those "throw enough sh*t at the wall and something is bound to stick" philosophies in that this is the type of WR they've decided they want to add to the corps, so they're going to keep going through them until they find a guy (or a few) who they like to fill that role.

I think the idea on overloading with the tall/fast guys is the fact that they look at the two guys who already have their places in the WR rotation cemented in Holmes and Kerley, and they see that's what their biggest need is in this WR corps. And while he may not have been fast, the Jets let walk last year's big WR option in Plax, so it's a spot that needs to be replaced. So I think this is one of those "throw enough sh*t at the wall and something is bound to stick" philosophies in that this is the type of WR they've decided they want to add to the corps, so they're going to keep going through them until they find a guy (or a few) who they like to fill that role.

Probably. The interesting thing to me is that they carried Riley on the roster for much of last season - presumably so that nobody could poach him off the practice squad - while Jackson was on and off the practice squad. I don't think either saw any game action. Maybe Riley was on the field once or twice. I'm not sure. Now Jackson appears to be ahead. Maybe that indicates Schottenheimer liked him better than Sparano. Maybe we can get a conditional for him from the Rams. Maybe they all just suck.

Probably. The interesting thing to me is that they carried Riley on the roster for much of last season - presumably so that nobody could poach him off the practice squad - while Jackson was on and off the practice squad. I don't think either saw any game action. Maybe Riley was on the field once or twice. I'm not sure. Now Jackson appears to be ahead. Maybe that indicates Schottenheimer liked him better than Sparano. Maybe we can get a conditional for him from the Rams. Maybe they all just suck.

That's a good question and I really have no idea. I thought perhaps he was a STer last year, but a quick look seems like that's not the case, so who knows. Could be a matter of Riley being more ready to play in case they needed him last year, while Jackson was more a long term project with more upside. Who knows, just a guess. Could also simply be that Riley looked better last year and Jackson better this year.

Haha! Well, its more me loving the guy's swagger and physical ability. I am a fan, yes. Do I think he can actually be a wide receiver? Sure. Do I think he will try to cut back way too much and cause losses... possibly. But you know it will be fun to watch.

We are trying to find magic in a bottle.. or some other cliche. We need a spark, and are hoping the rest of the league missed out on someone. Stranger stuff has happened. I am happy this testing the waters is happening now, instead of when we are 5-0.

Schilens? I really hope that is not where we are all resting our hopes and aspirations on the season. Cause that dude couldn't stay healthy living in a bubble.

I hate Holmes. Unrelated, but thought I'd just throw it out there.

I agree with everything you said... all the way down to Holmes. Cro will catch at least one pass this season and it will be a long TD where he burns the whole D backfield. You watch. What's going to be even funnier is that it's probably going to be a pass thrown by Tebow and then we will hear the rumblings man. We'll hear it good we will.

shillens is a big question mark I agree, but I'm still betting he's a better WR than Cro. I still like that cro is getting under their skin a bit. I truly believe they ( the whole WR group) will want to prove that they are at least better than a DB at the position they've been playing their whole lives. Kerley, Schillens, hill and Turner for that matter.

shillens is a big question mark I agree, but I'm still betting he's a better WR than Cro. I still like that cro is getting under their skin a bit. I truly believe they ( the whole WR group) will want to prove that they are at least better than a DB at the position they've been playing their whole lives. Kerley, Schillens, hill and Turner for that matter.

Eh. They probably all played DB until college and most probably played QB or RB rather than WR in high school. Besides, why should they get pissy? Isn't McKnight the 2nd best CB?

Eh. They probably all played DB until college and most probably played QB or RB rather than WR in high school. Besides, why should they get pissy? Isn't McKnight the 2nd best CB?

Fair enough, but the fact that a CB, albeit someone as athletically gifted as Cro is, talking about not only being a WR but better than all of them outside of Holmes has to get them bent to some degree. And it should.

As far as McNight being the 2nd best CB... not on this team he isn't. When that comment was made I don't recall it being said he was better than Cro and Wilson.

I hear ya, but to think that it doesn't help to motivate guys like Hill, Schillens and Kerley to prove that they can play their position better than the guy who's covering them in practice is not realistic. Not that they shouldn't be motivated without the jibe of course.

Archived