Its about time Rex beats a team he isnt supposed to beat

Matt39

no no 1-2 more wins during the reg season with Brady...still no SB.....

That wasn't what he asked, his question is if Belichick would have won any Super Bowls without Brady. The answer is an emphatic no. For a guy who's supposed to be a defensive expert it's been half a dozen years since his defense was anything more than a heaping pile of crap. The guy is easily the single most overrated coach in the league today which becomes more apparent with each passing season, as the Pats become more and more reliant on winning entirely on the back of Brady. The reality is that because of a string of success that has now occurred 8 to 11 years ago, he's constantly excused for endless amounts of things he screws up. The number of head-scratchingly horrible decisions we've seen out of him in recent years is on pace with any other coach out there. Any other coach in the league would be considered to already have one foot out the door if they had their team blowing one 4th quarter lead after another the way his team has. The one thing Belichick has going for him is a future HOF QB under center in a division that has seen the rest of the teams have nothing but pure garbage at the position.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's get real here. During good times, Rex is a brash, eccentric genius, but during bad times he is a buffoonish blowhard.

That's the nature of how he presents himself.

Bad times as in....every time the Jets lose?

I like to know the parade route for the Super Bowl and the activities of that day 8 weeks prior to the event. So I listen to Rex.

Nice. I giggled.

That wasn't what he asked, his question is if Belichick would have won any Super Bowls without Brady. The answer is an emphatic no. For a guy who's supposed to be a defensive expert it's been half a dozen years since his defense was anything more than a heaping pile of crap. The guy is easily the single most overrated coach in the league today which becomes more apparent with each passing season, as the Pats become more and more reliant on winning entirely on the back of Brady. The reality is that because of a string of success that has now occurred 8 to 11 years ago, he's constantly excused for endless amounts of things he screws up. The number of head-scratchingly horrible decisions we've seen out of him in recent years is on pace with any other coach out there. Any other coach in the league would be considered to already have one foot out the door if they had their team blowing one 4th quarter lead after another the way his team has. The one thing Belichick has going for him is a future HOF QB under center in a division that has seen the rest of the teams have nothing but pure garbage at the position.

I got what he said and I see where your coming from but I just don't know about Rex. I mean if we had Brady, do we win the SB, all those times? With the garbage HC's we have had? For me its hard to say yes to that.

I got what he said and I see where your coming from but I just don't know about Rex. I mean if we had Brady, do we win the SB, all those times? With the garbage HC's we have had? For me its hard to say yes to that.

Perhaps not in those same years when the Pats won them, but just off the top of my head, I think it'd be tough to argue that with better QB play, the Super Bowl wouldn't at least have been in the Jets' sights in any one of 2004 (the last time the Pats won one, and got there by beating the Steelers who the Jets lost to thanks to 3 points on offense), 2008 (started off 8-3 prior to Favre's injury, after which he played awful), 2009 or 2010 (two AFC Championship game appearances where the offense completely no-showed for an entire half). Obviously nothing is guaranteed because you never know how any single game is going to play out, but those were 4 seasons that the Jets were in pretty good shape even despite significantly worse QB play than they'd get from a guy like Brady.

Perhaps not in those same years when the Pats won them, but just off the top of my head, I think it'd be tough to argue that with better QB play, the Super Bowl wouldn't at least have been in the Jets' sights in any one of 2004 (the last time the Pats won one, and got there by beating the Steelers who the Jets lost to thanks to 3 points on offense), 2008 (started off 8-3 prior to Favre's injury, after which he played awful), 2009 or 2010 (two AFC Championship game appearances where the offense completely no-showed for an entire half). Obviously nothing is guaranteed because you never know how any single game is going to play out, but those were 4 seasons that the Jets were in pretty good shape even despite significantly worse QB play than they'd get from a guy like Brady.

Obviously that was the fault of Brian Schottenheimer!

If only Favre would been healthy....anyway and agree with the above....

See I dont think thats totally fair with Belichick. I think people tend to forget that the first team that won the Super Bowl had a game manager at QB. Bledsoe is actually the guy who won the AFC Championship game that year when he replaced Brady who got injured. Even in 2003 the team wasnt QB reliant. It was a pretty average offense with the number 1 defense in the game. I think everyone forgets those days because Brady had the big drive against the Rams to set up the field goal and the crazy shootout with the Panthers, but he was not the driving force those seasons. He was just part of a great team. He became great in 2004 and then Id agree with you in that the coach does some nutty stuff but gets bailed out because Brady has been so good and the division has been so awful (the Bills were the only team in the entire NFL to not even make the playoffs for the decade).

Im always curious to see how people judge Brady once he retires and the fresh view of him in the minds of guys like Peter King is gone. For years the rep was always that Brady wins and Manning loses, but post 2004 Brady kind of became the same kind of player. Brady puts up huge stats and has two SB losses on the resume. Manning put up big stats and was 1-1. But 2001 and 2003 Brady were completely different than the Brady that cemented himself as one of the all time greats from 2004 onward. Elway always got major credit for those end of career Super Bowls, which is ridiculous since he had almost nothing to do with them (he was far more impressive in his 80s run), and its like the exact opposite of Brady's career, who gets this huge amount of credit for the early ones when he is a far superior and more important player now than he was then.

He became great in 2004 and then Id agree with you in that the coach does some nutty stuff but gets bailed out because Brady has been so good and the division has been so awful (the Bills were the only team in the entire NFL to not even make the playoffs for the decade).

Brady is definitely a great NFL QB but the game definitely changed over the last 5-7 years to favor the QB. The passing yards (non--Jets) across the NFL are astounding. Drew Brees is a nice QB but he isn't an "all-time great" as his stats make him out to be.

As the rules changed to protect the QB and completely limit down field contact on wr's Brady shined. Yes, he is still a great QB but he is nowhere near the QB that his stats make him out to be. Passing yards over the last 5 years in the NFL is similar to HR's during the steroid era.

If a guy like Marino, Elway, or Montana played with today's rules they would have thrown for 6,000 yards.

• 1 month later...

Since the Patriots playoff win:

0-12 against teams with winning records

13-4 against teams with losing records.

Mark of a good coach is beating teams you arent supposed to beat. Rex is a front runner. Still think its time to move on and start from scratch.

Since the Patriots playoff win:

0-12 against teams with winning records

13-4 against teams with losing records.

Mark of a good coach is beating teams you arent supposed to beat. Rex is a front runner. Still think its time to move on and start from scratch.

Agreed.

Archived