RB's (not named Lacy)

Greenseed4

When looking at their numbers I focused on their 10-yard split, I'll include their 3-cone scores on another post.  Some of these guys are BIG dudes, who can really boogie, and aren't household names.  Something to consider if we want to find our gem in a later round.  

(BTW Seahawks drafted Robert Turbin in the 4th last year...and he's a beast.) 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Le'Veon Bell, (6'1, 230) 4.52 40-yd, 1.51 10-yd, 24 reps, 31.5 vert, 118 broad

Knile Davis, (5'10, 227) 4.37 40-yd, 1.49 10-yd, 31 reps, 33.5 vert, 121 broad

Jonathan Franklin, (5'10, 205) 4.49 40-yd, 1.54 10-yd, 18 reps, 31.5 vert, 115 broad 

Christine Michael (5'10, 220) 4.54 40-yd, 1.51 10-yd, 27 reps, 43 vert, 125 broad

Matthew Tucker (6'0, 221) 4.55 40-yd, 1.54 10-yd, 17 reps, 35.5 vert, 118 broad

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

on edit: first format did not come out well, this is a sample of the entire combine class

Some video to check out (sound may not be suitable for work, I don't know...my speaker is broken).

Le'Veon Bell, turned in a great Combine performance.  He has hands, and a good burst, probably fantastic at pass pro given his size.  From his "pump" video, you can see that he likes to use moves in the open field; his hurdle and spin-move being the go to moves. 

Kniles Davis.  Good sized kid.  He's fast and quick.  He runs a bit upright and likes to initiate contact rather than move around it, almost McFaddenish....must be the technique they teach down there at Arkansas.  Overall a great RB. 

also has durability issues, like DMC. real fast but questionable if he can survive NFL pounding. 

Jonathan franklin i feel is really underrated. he's gonna produce in the NFL and timed faster than most expected. 

also has durability issues, like DMC. real fast but questionable if he can survive NFL pounding. 

Jonathan franklin i feel is really underrated. he's gonna produce in the NFL and timed faster than most expected. 

Franklin is actually praised for his pass pro, which at (5'10, 205) is something you wouldn't expect.  Of the bunch, he reminds me the most of Shady McCoy.  Jon can catch extremely well, and has that "little-guy" wiggle that others lack.  I wouldn't be upset if he became our future back in the least.  

Why?

Mike Gillisee (5'11, 208) 4.55 40-yd, 1.59 10-yd, 15 reps, 30.5 vert, 119 broad

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't put a finger on it, I just remember being unimpressed during his workout. Maybe he dropped a couple passes or something, I'll have to go back an check it out. Even in his Highlight video (which as a rule is always an extremely biased compilation of any player), he gets caught from behind, and when he does break away, it's by a hair.  He doesn't seem overly powerful, doesn't really change directions as quickly as I'd like.  His stop and go takes too long.  I dunno, you had it right when you said 5th round...but there's a reason for that ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=46F1Yt3jF10 

What do you make of the ND RBs Wood and Riddick? Riddick used ot be a WR and has great hands.  Something we should be looking for. Could be had late.  Just a thought.

I know you're a huge fan so don't take this the wrong way.  But I just didn't see it in Riddick. 

Riddick ran a 4.68.  At (5'10, 200) you'd like to see a guy run faster than that.  

I counted: 2 QBs (EJ Manuel who is 6'5, and Geno Smith)

3 DL: (one of whom was Margus Hunt, near 300lbs)

and 

7 LBs

run faster than Theo, a running back. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cierre Wood (5'11, 213) on the other hand, had a great Combine.

He only ran a 4.56 40-yd, but his 10-yd split was impressive at 1.53.  He repped 16 times (not good/not bad) but he had the 3rd best vert with 37.5. 

I know you're a huge fan so don't take this the wrong way.  But I just didn't see it in Riddick. 

Riddick ran a 4.68.  At (5'10, 200) you'd like to see a guy run faster than that.  

I counted: 2 QBs (EJ Manuel who is 6'5, and Geno Smith)

3 DL: (one of whom was Margus Hunt, near 300lbs)

and 

7 LBs

run faster than Theo, a running back. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cierre Wood (5'11, 213) on the other hand, had a great Combine.

He only ran a 4.56 40-yd, but his 10-yd split was impressive at 1.53.  He repped 16 times (not good/not bad) but he had the 3rd best vert with 37.5. 

Thanks for the info.  Much appreciated.

Mike Gillisee (5'11, 208) 4.55 40-yd, 1.59 10-yd, 15 reps, 30.5 vert, 119 broad

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't put a finger on it, I just remember being unimpressed during his workout. Maybe he dropped a couple passes or something, I'll have to go back an check it out. Even in his Highlight video (which as a rule is always an extremely biased compilation of any player), he gets caught from behind, and when he does break away, it's by a hair.  He doesn't seem overly powerful, doesn't really change directions as quickly as I'd like.  His stop and go takes too long.  I dunno, you had it right when you said 5th round...but there's a reason for that ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=46F1Yt3jF10 

Ofcourse there is, but value wise, he'd be a great pick up in the 5th.  Mike has great wiggle, very decisive runner, surprising power and break away speed (not game breaker type but he can out run a defense).  Plus, he has great hands.  I've watched him gash some of the Nation's top D's this season behind an offensive line that was never healthy.

He was a beast in every big game.  Texas AM, Tenn, LSU and FSU.  

Its all about value with RB's.  There is no reason to draft RB's before the 4th round unless you're getting an sure fire cant miss prospect.   

Some video to check out (sound may not be suitable for work, I don't know...my speaker is broken).

Le'Veon Bell, turned in a great Combine performance.  He has hands, and a good burst, probably fantastic at pass pro given his size.  From his "pump" video, you can see that he likes to use moves in the open field; his hurdle and spin-move being the go to moves. 

Thanks! I was scrolling down looking for a Bell sighting. I like him and Michael out of that group. Out of the smaller type guys I still like Bernard and Barner.

Thanks! I was scrolling down looking for a Bell sighting. I like him and Michael out of that group. Out of the smaller type guys I still like Bernard and Barner.

The reason I like Bell and Michael is their overall game.  It's pretty-darn good.

Plus, they have the size to take a beating or punch in it with power.  They are mobile, pass protecting, pass catching, pile movers. 

I like Gio, but to get him would require a higher draft pick.  His pass protection is suspect, and I don't see him playing smash mouth goal line, when we need to get the tough yards up the middle. 

NFL.com's Gil Brandt reports Texas A&M RB Christine Michael missed two team interviews at the Combine after oversleeping.

Truly inexplicable. Michael put on a show in Indy, posting a 43-inch vertical leap, 4.54 40-yard dash, 10-foot-5 broad jump and 27 reps on the bench press. But he spent his senior year deep in coach Kevin Sumlin's doghouse, and is sorely lacking in maturity. He has talent worth gambling on, but teams are unlikely to do so before day three.

If you watch youtube vids of these guys, it's hard to deny that Christine Michael is the best back in the draft.  Runs low and hard- he's Quick, fast and powerful.  Ellington is a close second to me.  A shifty speed back, but isn't afraid to take a hit.  He'll drag guys even at 200 lbs.  When I look at Gio Bernard, I don't see anything special.  Good not great speed, and doesn't break any tackles.  Bell has great numbers, but runs completly upright.  I don't think he will hold up well in the NFL.  Gilleslie looked good at the SB.  Franklin looks good, but in my opinion, Michael and Ellington are the two best backs other than Lacy.

Have to think scheme fit with this new WCO too. Probably going to be looking for a smaller, quicker back who can catch passes out of the backfield a-la what the Eagles have had the last few years. A guy like Bell probably doesn't fit.

Have to think scheme fit with this new WCO too. Probably going to be looking for a smaller, quicker back who can catch passes out of the backfield a-la what the Eagles have had the last few years. A guy like Bell probably doesn't fit.

I've posted this in other threads:

LeSean McCoy (5'11, 205)

Bilal Powell (5'10, 205)

Joe McKnight (5'11, 205)

John Griffin (5'10, 205)

Le'Veon Bell (6'2, 244) would compliment our offense perfectly.  We need a stacked back to get the tough yards. He ran for almost 1,800 yds last season, and has hands to boot. 

I also really like Knile Davis (6'0, 220) despite his injury concerns. 

I've posted this in other threads:

LeSean McCoy (5'11, 205)

Bilal Powell (5'10, 205)

Joe McKnight (5'11, 205)

John Griffin (5'10, 205)

Le'Veon Bell (6'2, 244) would compliment our offense perfectly.  We need a stacked back to get the tough yards. He ran for almost 1,800 yds last season, and has hands to boot. 

I also really like Knile Davis (6'0, 220) despite his injury concerns. 

Size isn't the only factor. Powell isn't particularly explosive and doesn't have much wiggle, McKnight I could see being a fit but it's tough to rely on him based on what he's done so far. Griffin may not end up on the roster. Plus the Jets aren't looking for a complimentary player, they're looking for a lead back. And, back to the Eagles, they didn't carry bigger backs on the roster. Smaller, more agile guys are better fits for the run scheme Mornhinwig is going to run. I just don't see a guy like Bell fitting. Davis has nice measurables, but mediocre production and can't hold on to the ball.

Size isn't the only factor. Powell isn't particularly explosive and doesn't have much wiggle, McKnight I could see being a fit but it's tough to rely on him based on what he's done so far. Griffin may not end up on the roster. Plus the Jets aren't looking for a complimentary player, they're looking for a lead back. And, back to the Eagles, they didn't carry bigger backs on the roster. Smaller, more agile guys are better fits for the run scheme Mornhinwig is going to run. I just don't see a guy like Bell fitting. Davis has nice measurables, but mediocre production and can't hold on to the ball.

I disagree.  The Iggles had Bryce Brown on roster (6'0, 220).  I know cause I picked him up in my fantasy league.  McCoy got injured, and Brown filled in admirably.  We need someone with size to take the pounding associated with the position.  For Chrissake, Sanchez is 6'2, 225...We should have at least ONE bruiser who outweighs our QB. 

I disagree.  The Iggles had Bryce Brown on roster (6'0, 220).  I know cause I picked him up in my fantasy league.  McCoy got injured, and Brown filled in admirably.  We need someone with size to take the pounding associated with the position.  For Chrissake, Sanchez is 6'2, 225...We should have at least ONE bruiser who outweighs our QB. 

Brown is 10 pounds lighter than Bell and freakishly mobile for his size. There's a reason he was a top recruit coming out of high school and got drafted despite next to no college production, bouncing around, and overall concerns about his commitment to the sport. Watch them play, there's really no comparison. Bell also runs soft for his size. I could see comparing Davis to Brown, but Davis doesn't have nearly as much wiggle and, again, can't hold on to the football.

We'll see what happens I guess, but I don't think backs like that are the direction the Jets are going to go in. I see more of a Bernard - Franklin type back ending up in green if any.

Brown is 10 pounds lighter than Bell and freakishly mobile for his size. There's a reason he was a top recruit coming out of high school and got drafted despite next to no college production, bouncing around, and overall concerns about his commitment to the sport. Watch them play, there's really no comparison. Bell also runs soft for his size. I could see comparing Davis to Brown, but Davis doesn't have nearly as much wiggle and, again, can't hold on to the football.

We'll see what happens I guess, but I don't think backs like that are the direction the Jets are going to go in. I see more of a Bernard - Franklin type back ending up in green if any.

Both Gio and Franklin are the same size as what we currently host (threefold) on roster.  We should focus on a bruiser.  Powell and McKnight aren't nearly as bad as their inexperience might indicate.  

Both Gio and Franklin are the same size as what we currently host (threefold) on roster.  We should focus on a bruiser.  Powell and McKnight aren't nearly as bad as their inexperience might indicate.  

You're kind of just repeating yourself. Again, I wouldn't really count Griffin as a roster guy, Powell is a JAG and doesn't really fit the profile of back that the Eagles have used in the past (size doesn't indicate anything about style of play), and I don't think you're going to rely on McKnight to be your starter.

Of those three guys I don't see a primary back. If they want to bring in a primary back, it's going to be one who fits the scheme and not a bruiser just to add a new element. That's something you do for a backup, not a starter.

Also, the Eagles haven't really utilized bruisers, they want agile guys to be effective in that run scheme and backs who can catch the ball out of the backfield. And Bell and Davis aren't really bruisers despite their size.

NFL.com's Gil Brandt reports Texas A&M RB Christine Michael missed two team interviews at the Combine after oversleeping.

Truly inexplicable. Michael put on a show in Indy, posting a 43-inch vertical leap, 4.54 40-yard dash, 10-foot-5 broad jump and 27 reps on the bench press. But he spent his senior year deep in coach Kevin Sumlin's doghouse, and is sorely lacking in maturity. He has talent worth gambling on, but teams are unlikely to do so before day three.

Didn't hear this. It amazes me how stupid these kids are

You're kind of just repeating yourself. Again, I wouldn't really count Griffin as a roster guy, Powell is a JAG and doesn't really fit the profile of back that the Eagles have used in the past (size doesn't indicate anything about style of play), and I don't think you're going to rely on McKnight to be your starter.

Of those three guys I don't see a primary back. If they want to bring in a primary back, it's going to be one who fits the scheme and not a bruiser just to add a new element. That's something you do for a backup, not a starter.

Also, the Eagles haven't really utilized bruisers, they want agile guys to be effective in that run scheme and backs who can catch the ball out of the backfield. And Bell and Davis aren't really bruisers despite their size.

1. Powell is great in pass pro, and displayed some talent in the run game.  He's not a big name back, but he has what it takes to be successful in this league.  

2. I disagree with your assessment on Joe McKnight.  I think he's exactly who this new offense will cater to, and I look forward to seeing huge dividends from him this year. 

1. Powell is great in pass pro, and displayed some talent in the run game.  He's not a big name back, but he has what it takes to be successful in this league.  

2. I disagree with your assessment on Joe McKnight.  I think he's exactly who this new offense will cater to, and I look forward to seeing huge dividends from him this year. 

1. That's all well and good, but doesn't mean he's anything more than a backup. I think he'll be a backup for a while, but I don't think he's a guy you're going to rely on to be a long-term starter.

2. Nobody is denying McKnight's talent, but he's underachieved ever since he got to USC. I can't see how you can go into the season EXPECTING him to be your starting running back. Thinking it's possible and giving him a chance, sure, but there's no way I'd expect anything more than an impact on specials and a touch here or there on offense.

If  you see someone you feel comfortable with as a legitimate starting running back on the roster that's fine, I just don't agree with you. Could they go with what they have and a change of pace guy and then try to get solid running back out of that? I guess, but I wouldn't be comfortable with it and I don't see why they would. If they're going to tread water at the position I'd just as soon ignore it completely, frankly, but I think if they draft a guy they should be bringing in a potential long-term starter.

Christine Michael.  Didn't really like him at the Senior Bowl but he has every number you could possibly want.  During an interview he came across as thuggish and maybe illiterate.  I dunno, maybe thats just me.  Kid can run tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=LCVqxFeWFoU

43" vertical is far and away the best among the group listed in OP.  To me, Vertical is even more important than 40 time in a RB.  It shows explosiveness.  The vid. shows just that.  Decent top-end speed, but exceptional acceleration after the first cut and exceptional burst through the hole.  He's also got good eyes and low center of gravity.  Only thing i saw that might be misleasding is that he was running through huge gaps...he was the benificiary of excellent blocking, and its easy to look like an all-star when nobody can lay a hand on you at teh line of scrimmage.  Still, that's not his fault, just an observation.

Archived