Sanchez's Contract

flgreen

As we all know under Sanchez’s current contract he is almost untradable, and uncutable because of the clause in his contract that allows him to double dip when signed by another team.  It offers the Jets no cap relief.

The Jets have just told Holmes he must redo his deal, or be cut, and play for millions less.  It’s in his best interest to do that.

Why can’t the Jets do the same thing with Sanchez?

Call him into the office and tell him they are going to sign Garrard, and Garrard is going to be the starting QB.  No competition.  They are also going to draft a QB in the 3-5 round who is going to be the back up.  Sanchez is going to be #3.  Not active, and have to sit on the bench and take the abuse of fans for 3 hours a week.  Lord knows what is going to happen when he comes in or out of  the tunnel.  Where fans can actually spit , and urinate on him.

Offer him the same 8.5 million guaranteed  Just drop the double dip clause.  This years market would be much better for him to be in, then next years.  There are probably 2-3 teams who might give up a 4-5 round pick for him.  Pay him 4-5 million, and give him a legitimate opportunity to compete against another bum for the starting job.

I think, like Holmes, it would be in his best interest to take the deal

the main difference is that Holmes' guaruntee offsets and Sanchez's doesn't. So if Holmes gets cut he is due 7.5 Mil. But if another team signs him (let's say the Patriots at 4 mil) the Jets only owe him the remainder, 3.5 Mil. With Sanchez he is due 8.5 Mil with no offset. Sanchez gets cut and holds a clipboard for Oakland. He would get his Oakland money, and the 8.5 from the Jets, in full. 

That's a result of Sanchez being a top 5 draft pick. It doesn't have much to do with the extension. 

hrmmm....sit on the sidelines for how many millions? let me get my calculator and I will get back to you in an hour or so, but you should probably go ahead and get a name plate on that bench for me, preferably by a heater and the hot dog vendor THANKS!

the main difference is that Holmes' guaruntee offsets and Sanchez's doesn't. So if Holmes gets cut he is due 7.5 Mil. But if another team signs him (let's say the Patriots at 4 mil) the Jets only owe him the remainder, 3.5 Mil. With Sanchez he is due 8.5 Mil with no offset. Sanchez gets cut and holds a clipboard for Oakland. He would get his Oakland money, and the 8.5 from the Jets, in full. 

That's a result of Sanchez being a top 5 draft pick. It doesn't have much to do with the extension. 

Uh...  that has everything to do with the extension. That guarantee didn't exist before it.

Bit did you read the whole post?  I'm wondering why he can't redo his contract, dropping the no offset clause so he can get out of, what is about to become a living hell for him. 

Get to compete for a starting job in a market where there is another crappy QB for the starting job, in a town where he can go out and get a beer and a dog with out a fan trying to pee in his beer 

Bit did you read the whole post?  I'm wondering why he can't redo his contract, dropping the no offset clause so he can get out of, what is about to become a living hell for him. 

Get to compete for a starting job in a market where there is another crappy QB for the starting job, in a town where he can go out and get a beer and a dog with out a fan trying to pee in his beer 

I honestly don't think another NFL team would want Sanchez at this point.  Unless they were stupid.  He was a joke last year.   He really has no trade value at this point.  And even if he redoes his contract,  he's not going to take some huge pay cut.  Which means some other team will have to pay him close to 8 million per year.   Like I said, unless the team is stupid, nobody would.  And trade for him?  Yeah right.

Sanchez holds all the cards right now.   Collect his big paycheck,  start for the Jets, and have one last hurrah.  It's almost assumed Rex and Sanchez are long gone.  So if he goes out with a decent season and the Jets wind up 6-10,  his value goes up.     And with the names being spit out, plus the limited QBs in the draft this year,  Sanchez will probably start.

The sad reality is if Rex believes he's gone after this year and has that man love for Sanchez,  why would he start anybody else that the Jets front office brings in?  Especially if it's a Garrard or a Quinn.  I can hear it now. "Sanchez gives us the best chance to win."   Quinn.. yeah the guy was a backup to Tebow.

I honestly don't think another NFL team would want Sanchez at this point.  Unless they were stupid.  He was a joke last year.   He really has no trade value at this point.  And even if he redoes his contract,  he's not going to take some huge pay cut.  Which means some other team will have to pay him close to 8 million per year.   Like I said, unless the team is stupid, nobody would.  And trade for him?  Yeah right.

Sanchez holds all the cards right now.   Collect his big paycheck,  start for the Jets, and have one last hurrah.  It's almost assumed Rex and Sanchez are long gone.  So if he goes out with a decent season and the Jets wind up 6-10,  his value goes up.     And with the names being spit out, plus the limited QBs in the draft this year,  Sanchez will probably start.

The sad reality is if Rex believes he's gone after this year and has that man love for Sanchez,  why would he start anybody else that the Jets front office brings in?  Especially if it's a Garrard or a Quinn.  I can hear it now. "Sanchez gives us the best chance to win."   Quinn.. yeah the guy was a backup to Tebow.

He wouldn’t be taking a huge paycut. All he would be doing is dropping the no offset clause. If another team paid him 3.5 million, the Jets would still be liable for 5 million, but they would get 3.5 million cap relief.

We disagree on if a team would give up a 4-5 round pick if they didn’t have to pay him 8.5 million to compete for their starting job.  I think in this weak QB market some one would 

I think in this market they would

Sanchez can go to broadway plays and date super models in NY. maybe holding a clipboard in Tampa is more of a living hell. There's no actual evidence that Sanchez wants to leave. Revis either, actually.  

Sanchez can go to broadway plays and date super models in NY. maybe holding a clipboard in Tampa is more of a living hell. There's no actual evidence that Sanchez wants to leave. Revis either, actually.  

Can't say I  know what Sanchez is thinking, but getting spit on by fans, so I can go to a Broadway play?  IDK about that.

In Sanchez's orignal mentality I would agree with you. I really think he enjoyed being the handsome, star QB, who had been to two AFC championship games in NYC.  Good Times

That all changed last year. If he goes to Broadway plays now he has to be concerned about the entire cast mooning him at the curtain call

As we all know under Sanchez’s current contract he is almost untradable, and uncutable because of the clause in his contract that allows him to double dip when signed by another team.  It offers the Jets no cap relief.

The Jets have just told Holmes he must redo his deal, or be cut, and play for millions less.  It’s in his best interest to do that.

Why can’t the Jets do the same thing with Sanchez?

Call him into the office and tell him they are going to sign Garrard, and Garrard is going to be the starting QB.  No competition.  They are also going to draft a QB in the 3-5 round who is going to be the back up.  Sanchez is going to be #3.  Not active, and have to sit on the bench and take the abuse of fans for 3 hours a week.  Lord knows what is going to happen when he comes in or out of  the tunnel.  Where fans can actually spit , and urinate on him.

Offer him the same 8.5 million guaranteed  Just drop the double dip clause.  This years market would be much better for him to be in, then next years.  There are probably 2-3 teams who might give up a 4-5 round pick for him.  Pay him 4-5 million, and give him a legitimate opportunity to compete against another bum for the starting job.

I think, like Holmes, it would be in his best interest to take the deal

The reason is twofold:

1. Sanchez's salary is $8.25M.  His guaranteed money is the same amount.  Holmes has an $11M salary but only $7.5M of it is guaranteed.  Therefore, Sanchez gets $8.5M whether we keep him or cut him.  Holmes gets $11M if we keep him and $7.5M if we cut him.  So with Holmes, the Jets are in a position to say, "We want to reduce your salary to $9M.  If you don't, we'll cut you and you'll get $7.5M. Therefore the Jets can take the position that they are not paying Holmes $11M no matter what (because they don't have to).  A pay cut to $9M is still more than the $7.5M he'll make if he's cut.  Not so with Sanchez.

2. Money offset.  Sanchez has none. If he's cut, the Jets pay him $8.5M.  If someone else signs him to a 1 year $1.5M contract, he gets that money plus the $8.5M from the Jets.  No offset means the money his new team is paying doesn't offset an equal amount of what we pay.  So Sanchez would make more money this year if he's cut.  With Holmes, there is an offset.  So barring some other team coming along and offering him more than $7.5M for 2013, he'll only get $7.5M.  If we cut him and someone else signs him to a 1 year $1.5M contract, that offsets $1.5M the Jets would owe him.  So his new team would pay him $1.5M and the Jets would now only be on the hook for $6.0M.

There are other factors, like how likely or unlikely each player is to see the 2014 money he's scheduled to make on his current deal.  But the main reasons are above.  In short, the Jets have some leverage with Holmes.  They have none with Sanchez.

The reason is twofold:

1. Sanchez's salary is $8.25M.  His guaranteed money is the same amount.  Holmes has an $11M salary but only $7.5M of it is guaranteed.  Therefore, Sanchez gets $8.5M whether we keep him or cut him.  Holmes gets $11M if we keep him and $7.5M if we cut him.  So with Holmes, the Jets are in a position to say, "We want to reduce your salary to $9M.  If you don't, we'll cut you and you'll get $7.5M. Therefore the Jets can take the position that they are not paying Holmes $11M no matter what (because they don't have to).  A pay cut to $9M is still more than the $7.5M he'll make if he's cut.  Not so with Sanchez.

2. Money offset.  Sanchez has none. If he's cut, the Jets pay him $8.5M.  If someone else signs him to a 1 year $1.5M contract, he gets that money plus the $8.5M from the Jets.  No offset means the money his new team is paying doesn't offset an equal amount of what we pay.  So Sanchez would make more money this year if he's cut.  With Holmes, there is an offset.  So barring some other team coming along and offering him more than $7.5M for 2013, he'll only get $7.5M.  If we cut him and someone else signs him to a 1 year $1.5M contract, that offsets $1.5M the Jets would owe him.  So his new team would pay him $1.5M and the Jets would now only be on the hook for $6.0M.

There are other factors, like how likely or unlikely each player is to see the 2014 money he's scheduled to make on his current deal.  But the main reasons are above.  In short, the Jets have some leverage with Holmes.  They have none with Sanchez.

Thank you Sperm, and I get that.

Maybe I’m not making myself clear on what I’m asking.

Sanchez has become one of the most hated people in NYC. Laughed at by Giants fans, hated by Jets fans. Jets fans have been know to be some what rude upon occasion.

If I were Sanchez, and I could get out of NY without losing any money this year, and get a legitimate chance to start for another team with a weak QB, or stay here and be abused by fans, and media alike, I’d jump at it.

All I’m proposing is to have him drop the no offset clause in his contract so the Jets could get some cap relief, and he gets out of here with some dignity, and the opportunity to compete for a starting job.

Like I said if I were him I’d do it. He has no future here.

Sanchez has become one of the most hated people in NYC. Laughed at by Giants fans, hated by Jets fans. Jets fans have been know to be some what rude upon occasion.

I don't know how true that is... women fans still like him (like Courtney for example). Hispanic fans will always love him (and there's more of them in NYC than most NFL cities). He's not Wayne Hunter. The msg board hates Sanchez but most people still generally like him as a person. He does alot of charity type work.

In Sanchez' mind maybe all he has to do is win and all is forgiven.

buddy, take a look around the NFL, there is no weaker QB room than the Jets...thats all there is to it. his best chance to start and maybe even succeed are here with the jets, I wish there was a way out but he will be a Jet next year...

I don't know how true that is... women fans still like him (like Courtney for example). Hispanic fans will always love him (and there's more of them in NYC than most NFL cities). He's not Wayne Hunter. The msg board hates Sanchez but most people still generally like him as a person. He does alot of charity type work.

In Sanchez' mind maybe all he has to do is win and all is forgiven.

ehhhh idk about that. i live in NJ (south not jet country) and he is still the laughingstock of the NFL. When im at college with people from around the country as soon as i say jets they say sanchez is awful

heck the guy is like reigning champ for worst of the worst still

Thank you Sperm, and I get that.

Maybe I’m not making myself clear on what I’m asking.

If I were Sanchez, and I could get out of NY without losing any money this year, and get a legitimate chance to start for another team with a weak QB, or stay here and be abused by fans, and media alike, I’d jump at it.

All I’m proposing is to have him drop the no offset clause in his contract so the Jets could get some cap relief, and he gets out of here with some dignity, and the opportunity to compete for a starting job.

Like I said if I were him I’d do it. He has no future here.

The issue is that we don't save anything unless we cut/trade him.  They can't cut his salary and keep him, there is nothing in it for Sanchez.  I doubt he wants to get cut. I don't think it's a good career move.  I suppose they could do one of those baseball type deals where they try to trade him and get his okay to waive the offset clause so they get something back, but he basically has veto power of that, so we need a team that wants him AND he wants to go to. 

ehhhh idk about that. i live in NJ (south not jet country) and he is still the laughingstock of the NFL. When im at college with people from around the country as soon as i say jets they say sanchez is awful

heck the guy is like reigning champ for worst of the worst still

David Carr of the future!

The issue is that we don't save anything unless we cut/trade him.  They can't cut his salary and keep him, there is nothing in it for Sanchez.  I doubt he wants to get cut. I don't think it's a good career move.  I suppose they could do one of those baseball type deals where they try to trade him and get his okay to waive the offset clause so they get something back, but he basically has veto power of that, so we need a team that wants him AND he wants to go to. 

Thanks Dom that's all I was really asking.  It can be done, if he wants to get out.

It appears all to be a moot point as Coach MM just said Sanchez has a "leg up" in the QB competition.   Good Grief

Alex Smith was hated  and considered a bust and look how that turned out.   Sanchez's best chance to start is with the Jets.  Think about it.

Brady Quinn or David Garrard?   Seriously.  Sanchez probably believes he's a hell of a lot better than them.   ANd look at the draft, there are no studs, no kids that will come in and suddenly start.   There might be some surprises, but at this point,  Sanchez has to assume Rex still loves him and he's the best QB the Jets have now. Plus he's familiar and comfortable. Even though Marty is a new coach with a new style, it's still the Jets.    Going to some new team in some new location,  Sanchez has no guarantee he'd even compete for a starting job.

And who really would trade for Sanchez at a few buck discount to not be a starter?   There aren't many teams Sanchez could go to that would give him a shot to be the starter.  Jacksonville?  Out of all the Jets QBs, Tebow makes more sense for fans over anybody else. So no.   Arizona? They had their own disaster QB situation, why would they want a repeat performance?  Plus Kolb has a bad contract himself for a guy who is always hurt.

Cleveland?  They drafted a 29 year old rookie QB.      

There really aren't any teams desperate enough to think Sanchez would start for them.  He was a laughing stock.  He costs too much money.  So he'd leave the Jets circus where the HC has already gone to bat for the guy over and over and the new OC seems to be making excuses for the guy to a team where nobody knows him and the fans only know him from the butt fumble?   Who would make that decision?   Wow a few fans spit on him, but if the Jets stat out 5-1 with Sanchez, those same fans suddenly love him again.  that's the way it works.    

And as bad as the Jets are,  Rex knows defense and Sanchez can still be avg and the Jets have a chance to win. With or without Revis.    If he goes to the Jags, he might be murdered by fans because he's not the favorite son Tebow and they just have no hope.

Just wait the year. There's nothing wrong with that if there's no way to save money this year. It's not like getting rid of him improves the QB situation here in any direct way, and I kinda agree with Pedro that maybe there's something to salvage out of him. Plus the Jets are supposed to be tanking or something. He would definitely help in that area unless he suddenly became average.

Thanks Dom that's all I was really asking.  It can be done, if he wants to get out.

It appears all to be a moot point as Coach MM just said Sanchez has a "leg up" in the QB competition.   Good Grief

I've been a huge advocate of this strategy all off-season.    The benefit to Sanchez is that he could potentially compete for a starting job in Arizona and have the chance to make $$ in 2014 as a starter.  

The biggest issue I see with Sanchez is that I just don't think he cares that much about the NFL.    Football seemed fun to him when it was easy, not it's become a job and I don't think he gets what it takes to be good in the NFL.    I could easily see Sanchez on "The Bachelor" or following Joey Harrington's footsteps to FoxSports college gameday.....he actually reminds me a lot of Joey Harrington.  

the money from the original top 5 draft pick was FULLY guaranteed. The extension only continued that guarantee. 

Totally 100% wrong.

The guaranteed portion of Sanchez's rookie contract was over.  He had no guaranteed money remaining on his rookie deal.  Tannenbaum gave him NEW guaranteed money in the extension.

Sanchez could have been cut prior to the 2012 season with a massive cap savings in 2012 plus he would have been off the books completely in 2013.  That is why the extension was so abominably stupid.  Tannenbaum was betting on Sanchez suddenly becoming something he's incapable of being, and then the back 3 years of his extension would look like a relative bargain (look at how much more Flacco cost the Ravens by not redoing his deal 2 years ago).

you guys want Sanchez to re-do his contract for free, with the only benefit to Mark is that it's easier for him to be cut or traded.

What agent would do this deal? 

He wouldn't.  We agree on that.  Especially since the Jets have no other QB option despite a top 10 draft pick, and don't have enough cap room or depth to take a chance on a Matt Flynn. Jets don't have a mid-rounder plus the extra millions per year to pay him and Sanchez both.  So for Sanchez, the competition for the Jets starting job will be pretty low-level competition at that.  Cheaper options like almost has-been like Garrard, a never-was like Quinn, or a project like one of this year's rookies -- this is Sanchez's competition.

He'd be a fool to facilitate a move elsewhere.

I'm not any authority.  I think it can be done, but I do think he'd have to want to get out for it to get done.  Having a leg up on McElroy and Tebow isn't saying much.  Garrard can probably come in and take the job as long as he doesn't need to bring his walker out onto the field. 

Archived