No point in spending without a QB.

Barton

Find our next QB and then go spend money on top end free agents. Until then, draft picks & FA bargains.

I like Idzik so far.

Meh, if you have the chance to sign a good player who you think will help the team, you dont not do it because you're QB less.

I'm not saying break the bank for someone (which I doubt happens anyway) but not trying to get better/build your roster because you dont have a franchise QB doesnt seem like a great strategy. 

Meh, if you have the chance to sign a good player who you think will help the team, you dont not do it because you're QB less.

I'm not saying break the bank for someone (which I doubt happens anyway) but not trying to get better/build your roster because you dont have a franchise QB doesnt seem like a great strategy. 

Where did I say they shouldnt try to get better via FA?

Read the post next time?

I did, it didnt seem much different than then the title.

Still disagree.  If you can sign a good player who doesnt break the bank, you do it.  Not doing it because you dont have a QB doesnt make any sense.  Then what do you do when you find one?, you finally have a QB but the rest of the roster is sh*t? 

Spent all of 2012 explaining this to Cubs fans. When the Cubs signed Edwin Jackson to 4/52 the FO gave this same explanation.

Everyone who follows the NFL understands how important the QB position is. QB play is by far the biggest reason Los Yets did not win a Super Bowl in '09 or '10. OTOH, having great starters got the Jets right there with minimal contributions from the QB. That's one route. Another route possible is that they  keep building the roster back up with great starters AND quality depth, creating a situation where a competent, skilled QB can become the toast of NY SF and Baltimore took that route as well as others. By far my least favorite route is to sit around and wait for the QB fairy to drop one off. 

My point is, passing on mo mo's like Mike Wallace and his contract, Paul Kruger etc, is a smart move right now. Idzik isnt even SNIFFING the top FA players this offseason.

I like what he is doing so far.

Agreed.

Plus, the exercise of freeing up cap space only to use it on the early FA signings who are ALWAYS overpaid seems counter productive.

Many holes to fill, limited resources to fill them. Diligence and patience is an ally under those circumstances.

The only teams making good moves right now are all contenders. Other than that, it's the Chiefs and Dolphins over-paying for players. We're acting like the Ravens and Steelers, not the Chiefs and Dolphins. We are in good company.

Spent all of 2012 explaining this to Cubs fans. When the Cubs signed Edwin Jackson to 4/52 the FO gave this same explanation.

Everyone who follows the NFL understands how important the QB position is. QB play is by far the biggest reason Los Yets did not win a Super Bowl in '09 or '10. OTOH, having great starters got the Jets right there with minimal contributions from the QB. That's one route. Another route possible is that they  keep building the roster back up with great starters AND quality depth, creating a situation where a competent, skilled QB can become the toast of NY SF and Baltimore took that route as well as others. By far my least favorite route is to sit around and wait for the QB fairy to drop one off. 

Baltimore drafted Joe Flacco in the first round and built the team around him over the past 5 years.  They went from a defensive minded team to an offensive team.   The Ravens defense this year was nowhere near the defense they were 6 seasons ago.  Flacco is expected to be the leader of the team.  Is he a HOF QB?  No.  Is he a pro bowler?  He was in the last couple of post seasons.    

Newsome is a smart GM.   But I wouldn't say the Ravens tried to build a team and then find a QB.  

They finally won a super bowl because of their QB.  And if the Ravens dont make the playoffs or stumbled again, people would be questioning Flacco.  He wouldn't be a $20 Million dollar man either.    So it's not like the Ravens were a great team and just had an avg QB.   Flacco was supposed to be that elite QB they never had before.  Whether or not he lived up to that hype is another story.   

Kind of like Sanchez.  He was one of the top picks and was supposed to be the franchise QB. He wasn't and the Jets are where they are because of him.   Very few teams actually win the super bowl with subpar QB play.  You can diss what the 49ers and Ravens did, but there QBs were big reasons why those teams won.  And those same teams hope their QBs lead them to the promised land in the future.   

Remember the Ravens were one of the best defensive teams for years.  Except they never had a QB and never even got back to a super bowl since 2001.    Seems Rex was trying to rebuild the Ravens and hoped Sanchez would just work out.

this.

We couldn't afford Chase Friggin' Daniels....if we sit around waiting to add more cost effective options at QB, we might miss out on a lot of serviceable players.  Mainly, Brandon Gibson.    

My point is, passing on mo mo's like Mike Wallace and his contract, Paul Kruger etc, is a smart move right now. Idzik isnt even SNIFFING the top FA players this offseason.

I get what you're saying. And I somewhat agree with the premise. 

I agree with this.  I don't want the jets signing a guy like Wallace to some astronomical salary and they really never rebuild, retool, etc.  They just have tons of bad contracts for players who might put up some nice numbers if they had a legit QB.   And who knows when that will be.  By the time that comes, guys like Wallace might be useless.    

Imagine if Welker comes to the Jets a few years back.  Nobody would give a crap about him now.  He's be considered an also ran or never was. And if  Holmes goes to the Patriots a few years back, he probably gets the axe after a few seasons like Moss did, but he probably has 20 TDs and 125 receptions a season.    You don't really need to sign guys like Wallace to max contracts with Garrard/Sanchez.

The sad reality is the same thing holds true for Revis.  He plays a position that doesn't warrant what everybody thinks he's asking for.  Not on a team who might not have anybody better than Sanchez for years.

this.

We couldn't afford Chase Friggin' Daniels....if we sit around waiting to add more cost effective options at QB, we might miss out on a lot of serviceable players.  Mainly, Brandon Gibson.    

I'm happy that they appear to have targeted specific guys they think fit - like Gibson and Woodson, but I am NOT raising the ante and worrying about missing out on Brandon ******* Gibson.

I'm happy that they appear to have targeted specific guys they think fit - like Gibson and Woodson, but I am NOT raising the ante and worrying about missing out on Brandon ******* Gibson.

I was saying the same thing yesterday, and I'm not going to miss any sleep on it, but then I looked him up on youtube. If you haven't seen any clips on him you're doing yourself a disservice.  He's legit.

You're good, you. 

He had 79 receptions and 6 TDs the year before he came to the Jets.    

What were Welkers numbers before he joined the Patriots?

He might not have scored 20 TDs, but you can't deny the fact that Brady throwing to you is far different than Sanchez.  Numbers should go up.

I was saying the same thing yesterday, and I'm not going to miss any sleep on it, but then I looked him up on youtube. If you haven't seen any clips on him you're doing yourself a disservice.  He's legit.

I'm fully familiar with Brandon Gibson.  It is a bigger mistake to pay $500K than you have to Brandon Gibson than to pay $5M more than you should for Revis. Like the player, like the idea, but it is specifically about value.

He had 79 receptions and 6 TDs the year before he came to the Jets.    

What were Welkers numbers before he joined the Patriots?

He might not have scored 20 TDs, but you can't deny the fact that Brady throwing to you is far different than Sanchez.  Numbers should go up.

Oh, I'm not debating the production decrease players get when they play in our "offense".  I just really like your ability to create #s and stats out of thin air.  

:happy0069:

Oh, I'm not debating the production decrease players get when they play in our "offense".  I just really like your ability to create #s and stats out of thin air.  

:happy0069:

Look at Welkers numbers before and after.  The guy was catching like 110+ receptions per year.  

Before new england, he wasn't even really  a starting WR.       So Holmes catching 125 Receptions really wasn't out of thin air.  

20 TDs, yeah that was out of thin air.  Then again Moss caught 23 TDs with New England in 2007.

Look at Welkers numbers before and after.  The guy was catching like 110+ receptions per year.  

Before new england, he wasn't even really  a starting WR.       So Holmes catching 125 Receptions really wasn't out of thin air.  

20 TDs, yeah that was out of thin air.  Then again Moss caught 23 TDs with New England in 2007.

Too many variables, brah.  Why did Moss leave? What were Brandon Lloyds stats this year? What were Chad OchoJohnson's stats?

Lets talk about actuals, you know, stuff we can look up and analyze.  

You have a tendency to make up "probably" stats. 

Archived