'Ask Bitonti': JetNations resident Draft Guru

SouthernJet

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How likely is it that Star drops because of the heart? If he's there at 13, do you take the chance?

very likely. he needs to go out to Utah pro day and be awesome. If he doesn't work out at all, he drops out of the round. As for the Jets, i don't see the great appeal of this player, even after Pouha is gone, he's basically a 2 down guy. He's not gonna be a sack master. He's a run stuffer, a table setter. He has 6 career sacks. People say the Jets can't stop the run, but JMO the bad run defense stats was because the D was out there all day and teams were killing the clock. If the Jets offense improves in efficiency, that will take pressure off the defense. 

What round do you guys think Ace Sanders goes in?  I think the Jets can use a serious dedicated punt returner and he seems like he'd be a dangerous slot guy.  4th round grade by the advisory commitee and a midget.  He only ran 4.58 which is probably not sniffing what he'd hoped.  Plenty of WRs out there, just wondering the consensus on this guy.  Might be interesting if he drops.

I was surprised at his 40. Thought he'd be faster. I have as a cusp of top 100 guy, like Dexter McCluster. But he certainly could go lower than that.  the advisory committee might be right about him. the problem is that the Jets don't really need a slot receiver. They need outside guys. 

Bit, why take a RB early?

How quickly can #9 be cut if he's not a great QB? How much does that save?

Why is Matt Scott getting attention? Is the QB REALLY that bad?

Does Marcus Lattimore get drafted?

the Jets need to get better on offense but the Goodson signing appears to lessen that need. SO yeah prob not RB early. 

The 9 pick wouldn't be cut quickly but he doesn't take up that much cap space either way. If we are talking about Geno he's gonna need a couple years anyway. I don't think people are drafting him looking for a day 1 starter. Matt Scott is a legit prospect for the spread teams like PHI, WAS, SEA and SF. And probably more teams will go that route. Very good athlete. And yes the QB crop is not great. Marcus Lattimore yes he gets drafted but not til day 3. 

oh and the NFL doesn't distribute steroids. they distribute deer antler spray. duh. 

Dear Bit,

I am on the fence here.  Was D-Fat's "degenerative knee" urban myth or a dirty little rumor cooked up by the unscrupulous press?

Thanks in advance.

I don't want to make this a DRob thread but the guy started 80+ games as a Jet including several playoff wins. He started day 1 because of the Josh Evans suspension. He had production (unlike Gholston). SO i don't know why people kill the guy. For not being Sapp? Well great he wasn't Jon Sullivan either. He was a starter not a star. 

He had a bone on bone condition in his knee that was related to bad surgery pre NFL. the Jets doctors prob should have done a better job. But basically the guy wore out his knee as a Jet. That's how long most players last. People look at the draft and expect 10+ year Pro bowlers but most guys last 3 years or less. Drob had an above average NFL career. I know average isn't good enough but don't forget those picks became Michael Haynes and rex Grossman. the lesson to be learned is that some drafts suck. It's like wine, 2003 was not a great year for first rounders. 

Bit:

In a QB league, I am sure Idzik looking at Geno Smith vs any QBs who will be in 1st round in 2014 draft. Your take on potential Franchise QB w/Smith vs 2014 class. Do we wait?

Im not a huge Geno fan. If you can't maintain composure against Syracuse, how can he do it against the Pats?  2014 has Teddy Bridgewater who gutted his team to many unlikely victories, including Florida in the Bowl game. He's great. Meanwhile Geno's signature win was Baylor this year. Anyone looks good against Baylor. Geno actually has other great moments like last year's Clemson game and 2nd half against Oklahoma, the problem is you don't know what guy you are getting. week to week. and that system is basically texas tech's old offense. Kliff Kingsbury also got drafted out of that system. There's a chance Geno is just a system guy. 

The Pats are easy to maintain composure against. Their defense sucks.  It's the Steelers and Niners that rattle ya

compared to Syracuse tho? Or Kansas State? Geno has a troubling trend of playing great against bad defenses and playing poor against competent defense. All the defenses in the NFL are better than Syracuse.

I don't want to make this a DRob thread but the guy started 80+ games as a Jet including several playoff wins. He started day 1 because of the Josh Evans suspension. He had production (unlike Gholston). SO i don't know why people kill the guy. For not being Sapp? Well great he wasn't Jon Sullivan either. He was a starter not a star. 

He had a bone on bone condition in his knee that was related to bad surgery pre NFL. the Jets doctors prob should have done a better job. But basically the guy wore out his knee as a Jet. That's how long most players last. People look at the draft and expect 10+ year Pro bowlers but most guys last 3 years or less. Drob had an above average NFL career. I know average isn't good enough but don't forget those picks became Michael Haynes and rex Grossman. the lesson to be learned is that some drafts suck. It's like wine, 2003 was not a great year for first rounders. 

18 Pro Bowlers were selected after D-Rob in the first 2 rounds of that draft. 

18 Pro Bowlers were selected after D-Rob in the first 2 rounds of that draft. 

yeah and a couple hundred worthless picks too. Drob wasn't worthless but he wasn't a Pro Bowler either. S--t happens. 

I also enjoy it how in a Drob discussion Pro bowl is a great measurement but in a revis discussion, Pro Bowl is meaningless. 

Oh damn. *Smack!

I have extra disdain for Robertson, because I was totally on board after watching tape of him beating a double-team with a great combination of technique and strength.  I was at a draft party with former Jets greats Kenyatta Walker and Jason Glenn and we were discussing how he could be the next Sapp, blah blah blah.  

Needless to say, I've become a lot more cynical over the last decade, and it's at least partially the fault of the bowling ball with butcher knives.

yeah and a couple hundred worthless picks too. Drob wasn't worthless but he wasn't a Pro Bowler either. S--t happens. 

I also enjoy it how in a Drob discussion Pro bowl is a great measurement but in a revis discussion, Pro Bowl is meaningless. 

A couple hundred?  In the first 2 rounds?  

There must've been a lot of compensatory picks that year that I don't remember.

I have extra disdain for Robertson, because I was totally on board after watching tape of him beating a double-team with a great combination of technique and strength.  I was at a draft party with former Jets greats Kenyatta Walker and Jason Glenn and we were discussing how he could be the next Sapp, blah blah blah.  

Needless to say, I've become a lot more cynical over the last decade, and it's at least partially the fault of the bowling ball with butcher knives.

I have a similar story. Let's just say 2003 was a long time ago and I've learned alot since then. Part of the Drob story was production. He only had like 4 sacks at Kentucky, I have a problem projecting players to be better in the Pros then they were in the SEC (JPP types are the exception i guess, so it's pick your poison). 

Bit,

Ron Jaworski (the guy I go to for all of my football analysis) recently attended the WV proday and came away saying that Tavon Austin is perhaps the quickest player he has seen in his 35 years of football.  He went so far as to call him a top-15 pick.

If we were to land the #13 pick, I think he'd be a good option for our team.  

I know you've been high on Allen.  Tanny and others have mocked Patterson.  

Is it possible that 1) Tavon Austin becomes just as productive as either (if not the best WR of this draft) and 2) can actually transform our offense faster than any other addition.  Holmes and Kerley outside, with Austin in the slot would create a "mini-me" WCO predicated on YAC ability...We would literally become an attacking offense that could score on any drive.  Toss Stephen Hill into the mix on 4-WR sets, and fuggetaboutit. 

thoughts?

Bit,

Ron Jaworski (the guy I go to for all of my football analysis) recently attended the WV proday and came away saying that Tavon Austin is perhaps the quickest player he has seen in his 35 years of football.  He went so far as to call him a top-15 pick.

If we were to land the #13 pick, I think he'd be a good option for our team.  

I know you've been high on Allen.  Tanny and others have mocked Patterson.  

Is it possible that 1) Tavon Austin becomes just as productive as either (if not the best WR of this draft) and 2) can actually transform our offense faster than any other addition.  Holmes and Kerley outside, with Austin in the slot would create a "mini-me" WCO predicated on YAC ability...We would literally become an attacking offense that could score on any drive.  Toss Stephen Hill into the mix on 4-WR sets, and fuggetaboutit. 

thoughts?

I was on a Miami radio show with Keith Sims last week and he asked me about Tavon Austin at 12. And I'll give you the same answer, that the draft is about upside and big plays. Impact plays. Austin can make touchdowns out of the slot, and also end arounds, reverses and returns. He's not an outside receiver and that limits his value but I don't see it as a huge reach.  He probably ends up going in the 20's which means a trade down could happen. I also don't know if Kerley can play outside like you say, he might be the Jets slot receiver. 

Hi old friend. They've let you back to the coop? What happened to your post count?

That Jaded Green was led astray by T0m Shane, post count was wiped, and I was sold into slavery by DA ILK.

I belong to slats now.

Do you think he will let us be friends again?

Bump to Bit :)

Gio Bernard - like his big play ability, real good moves but not elite timed speed (4.53 at Indy). Wish he was in the 4.3 or 4.4 range. With Goodson, Bilal and McK all possible 3rd down backs, Gio seems like another in that mold, and thus not really a fit for the Jets. I've seen people compare Bernard to Ray Rice and I don't know if he's as tough between the tackles. Real interesting player. solid rd 2/3 type. 

Sylvester Williams - Run stuffer probably more 4-3 than 3-4 but can play either system. Tough, decent athete, the 5 sec 40 actually makes teams try him at 3-tech. I see him  2 down guy, you aren't drafting him for sacks. The loss of Pouha creates a need for this type of player but  the Jets need to get better on 3rd down. I personally think they are ok with Kenrick Ellis and Damon Harrison. 

Kevin Reddick at 6'1 240 guess could be a bart scott type but that dude went undrafted. Reddick probably goes late (if at all) and will have to make his money on specials at first. 

Jonathan Cooper - A flat out stud at guard or center (where teams are trying him out lately).  Teams were worried about his strength, until he benched 35 reps. Great athlete with Pro Bowl potential. Top 20 pick. 

Bit what do you think the propsects are for the Rutgers players

Greene on defense

Jamison on offense

Greene is a 4-3 WLB not really a fit with Rex's D. Good tough player tho, nice pursuit. Jamison ran a 4.68 at Indy which is death for his stock. Prolly should have stayed in school .

The better Rutgers offensive prospect is actually Mark Harrison who ran a 4.46, 38 in vert and created Brandon Marshall comparsons. 

I was on a Miami radio show with Keith Sims last week and he asked me about Tavon Austin at 12. And I'll give you the same answer, that the draft is about upside and big plays. Impact plays. Austin can make touchdowns out of the slot, and also end arounds, reverses and returns. He's not an outside receiver and that limits his value but I don't see it as a huge reach.  He probably ends up going in the 20's which means a trade down could happen. I also don't know if Kerley can play outside like you say, he might be the Jets slot receiver. 

Isn't that kind of the same theory the Dolphins used when they drafted Ginn @ 9?  Can't see them falling for that twice.  Even if the guy did single handedly give the Jets one of their losses that year they were lucky to make the playoffs. 

Isn't that kind of the same theory the Dolphins used when they drafted Ginn @ 9?  Can't see them falling for that twice.  Even if the guy did single handedly give the Jets one of their losses that year they were lucky to make the playoffs. 

Ted Ginn is kind of a head case. And was taller (so theoretically more than a returner). Austin seems like a football player through and through. Like i said 9 (or 12 or 13) might be a little reachy, but not by much. Maybe 5-10 pick reach at that point. I think Austin will have a more stable career path than ginn. This was all pre-Mike Wallace signing so obviously it's not as bad a need and Fins probably go cornerback. 

Archived