The Pistol is Dead (RGIII won't take an offseason rep) Long Live the Pistol

T0mShane

Mike Shanahan, interviewed by Kim Jones, just said that Kirk Cousins will take all the first-team reps this summer, and RGIII won't see action until, (I'm assuming), the preseason. I don't see how a team in the future will want to invest so heavily in a quarterback, only to see his legs ripped off and that investment go to hell.

I know this isn't Jets-related, but since we are looking for QBs, it's worth discussing what the position will look like in the near-future. IMO, the Pistol was doomed from the start. This RGIII news, and likely struggles this year, has to make any coach pause to consider just how much they want their #1 guy outside of the pocket.

it's not that the pistol/spread is dead 

but they won't be paying 10 mil a year to a spread QB any time soon

watch what Chip Kelly does in Philly. He's gonna put vick thru the meat grinder, then dennis dixon, then a draft pick (matt scott?) 

spread QBs will be used like RBs. 

kaep and wilson are still cheap enough to be used this way. 

it's not that the pistol/spread is dead 

but they won't be paying 10 mil a year to a spread QB any time soon

watch what Chip Kelly does in Philly. He's gonna put vick thru the meat grinder, then dennis dixon, then a draft pick (matt scott?) 

spread QBs will be used like RBs. 

kaep and wilson are still cheap enough to be used this way. 

I like future bit. Someone was going to do something to make the QB position a safer and cheaper bet for franchises. This might be one way to do it, and it's worked so far. 

Mike Shanahan, interviewed by Kim Jones, just said that Kirk Cousins will take all the first-team reps this summer, and RGIII won't see action until, (I'm assuming), the preseason. I don't see how a team in the future will want to invest so heavily in a quarterback, only to see his legs ripped off and that investment go to hell.

I know this isn't Jets-related, but since we are looking for QBs, it's worth discussing what the position will look like in the near-future. IMO, the Pistol was doomed from the start. This RGIII news, and likely struggles this year, has to make any coach pause to consider just how much they want their #1 guy outside of the pocket.

I don't think so dude. As long as these quarterbacks are shredding defenses it will be here. Furthermore the ACL injury is one of misfortune, it's not a result of his running style. Tom Brady and Phillip Rivers both tore ACLs.

There are three read option QBs in the league, that number is going to increase not decrease.

I don't think so dude. As long as these quarterbacks are shredding defenses it will be here. Furthermore the ACL injury is one of misfortune, it's not a result of his running style. Tom Brady and Phillip Rivers both tore ACLs.

There are three read option QBs in the league, that number is going to increase not decrease.

I agree that the pistol is not going away, but an increase in read/option QBs....I cannot entirely wrap my fingers around that.

In the end, a QB needs to pass.  A running option like Kaepernick/Wilson/RGIII are great and will give a team's pistol options, but even then you want them to be Steve Young clones.  A great passer who can escape pressure and not be a sitting duck like Brady. 

As long as they're shredding knees and ruining seasons, I don't see how it's sustainable. The quarterback has to be on the field. He goes down, your season is toast. Leaving the pocket increases that likelihood. Even in bit's scenario, where teams treat QBs like RBs, you're going to need a new QB every four-five years. I don't see how that works.

Archived