Drafting CB D.J. Hayden (it may happen)

Gastineau Lives

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on SportsCenter that the Jets' Rex Ryan was the lone NFL head coach in attendance at Houston CB D.J. Hayden's Monday Pro Day.

Hayden ran a 4.42 at his March Pro Day before suffering a hamstring injury
during the workout, so he probably stood on that time. He did
positional drills in front of NFL evaluators. Ryan's presence certainly
suggests the Jets have interest in Hayden. He may be a candidate for
one of their two first-rounders. Apr 22 - 2:45 PM

I don't know enough about him (or most other college players), but drafting a cornerback would leave with me a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth. Do you think Idzik would want the perception to be that we basically traded Revis for this kid?

Perception pershmeption.   With Revis and Cro we could play man-to-man on the #1 and #2 receivers, which frees another man on defense to do something else.  That's a very big advantage.

With Cro showing he could be a mostly adequate replacement for Revis last year, we need a great man-to-man CB to replace Cro on the #2 receiver, or else we have to play zone like everyone else.  Then we will lose that advantage.

I think Mayock said tonight on path to the draft that he is his number 1 CB

I guess the consensus is there is little chance of his heart issues ever recurring.  From what I read, he is lucky to be alive after the type injury he had.

He had a freak injury to his heart that should have killed him. The question with him is if that injury still poses a threat in the future.

Supposedly it was very much a freakish injury and, now that he is healed, he has about the same probability of it recurring as he had of suffering it in the first place.  It isn't  disease related and evidently isn't chronic.  Amazing story!

Mayock has him as his top CB and thinks he is the only CB who may go top 10 - but that he didn't think a CB would go top 10.

The Revis trade had as much to do with 16 million against the cap as it did the compensation the Jets got in return for him. The Jets could pay 5 DRC's what Revis got paid. So drafting a CB high would not bother me and it would make some sense. The position is very important to Rex's defense and I'm in the minority in thinking that so long as the defense plays well, Rex will be here next year.

Archived