30 for 30: Elway to Marino

JOJOTOWNSELL

my favorite part was when Pete Roselle trolled the 1983 draft crowd. 

these guys were up all night drinking, the Jets are on the clock, they are chanting "Ma-ri-no"

Roselle gets the card out, goes "hehehehehe" and says "With the whatever pick in the draft, the Ny Jets select... quarterback... . ... . ... ... .. ... Kenny OBrien, Cal-Davis" 

my favorite part was when Pete Roselle trolled the 1983 draft crowd. 

these guys were up all night drinking, the Jets are on the clock, they are chanting "Ma-ri-no"

Roselle gets the card out, goes "hehehehehe" and says "With the whatever pick in the draft, the Ny Jets select... quarterback... . ... . ... ... .. ... Kenny OBrien, Cal-Davis" 

totally caught that also, he paused so hard before he said O'brien's name!

Another great part was when Marinos agent tried to explain to Marino why the Jets passed on him......."These people are just stupid and dont know what they are doing!" CLASSIC

The broncos just took a guard at 4. Weird.

They explained they did it because they knew Baltimore wanted Hinton.

This is a completely enthralling 30 for 30 though, especially the bit where the NFL offices cock-blocked teh Raiders from trading for Elway.

Not bad, the 30 for 30 has been such an awesome segment on ESPN that it almost makes me forget their other 20+ hours of swill.  Obviously I'm biased, but I thought "Once Brothers" was the best piece that they've run so far, really moving stuff.  If you guys haven't checked it out, I definitely recommend doing so.

Not bad, the 30 for 30 has been such an awesome segment on ESPN that it almost makes me forget their other 20+ hours of swill.  Obviously I'm biased, but I thought "Once Brothers" was the best piece that they've run so far, really moving stuff.  If you guys haven't checked it out, I definitely recommend doing so.

Its probably because while ESPN finances these films, they are produced independently from ESPN. If ESPN were overseeing production they'd probably suck like everything else on the network. 

It never ceased to amaze me how historically the Jets have gotten so much more crap from the national media than the Chiefs, Pats, and Bills for not taking Marino. The Chiefs literally passed on two Hall of Fame QBs to select the worst QB of the bunch. They really deserve to be killed for that move. 

The Pats took Eason, the 2nd worst of the group, but at least he kind of contributed to their Super Bowl losing team of '85. The Bills really deserve more crap for taking a guy who didn't report to them for three years. Kelly's career with them and the four straight SB appearances keep them from getting killed for not taking Marino. 

We at least got a guy who kept us competitive and was fun to watch, and who beat Marino more than he lost to him, and who isn't an all-time a$$hole like Marino. 

as it turns out the drunk crowd knew more about what QB to pick than the Jets front office. 

related story I was on Houston radio a couple years back during draft day. It was a live broadcast from a hooters or something. The texans just picked Brian Cushing. the crowd at Hooters asked why didn't they take Clay Matthews. 

as it turns out that chicken wing beer soaked crowd knew more than the Texans front office. 

as it turns out the drunk crowd knew more about what QB to pick than the Jets front office. 

related story I was on Houston radio a couple years back during draft day. It was a live broadcast from a hooters or something. The texans just picked Brian Cushing. the crowd at Hooters asked why didn't they take Clay Matthews. 

as it turns out that chicken wing beer soaked crowd knew more than the Texans front office. 

How were they supposed to know that walk-on, couldn't start until his senior year Matthews would PED himself to the point of greatness??  Agreed that Matthews is the best pro, but Cushing is no slouch, that Texans' defense went to absolute sh*t when he went down from that slauson injury.

I bet if you polled that same semi-comatosed crowd, they probably were the same ones clamoring for Aaron Curry being the second-coming.   

How were they supposed to know that walk-on, couldn't start until his senior year Matthews would PED himself to the point of greatness??  Agreed that Matthews is the best pro, but Cushing is no slouch, that Texans' defense went to absolute sh*t when he went down from that slauson injury.

I bet if you polled that same semi-comatosed crowd, they probably were the same ones clamoring for Aaron Curry being the second-coming.   

a little context Houston is the former home of the Oilers where Bruce Matthews played and the crowd was probably familiar with his brother Clay matthews JR a 4x Pro Bowl LB.  

my answer at the time was Cushing has a better resume and both will be good pros. But i thought it was a very astute question. Just goes to show you how inexact the draft is... it's 32 dudes doing their own mock draft. 

a little context Houston is the former home of the Oilers where Bruce Matthews played and the crowd was probably familiar with his brother Clay matthews JR a 4x Pro Bowl LB.  

my answer at the time was Cushing has a better resume and both will be good pros. But i thought it was a very astute question. Just goes to show you how inexact the draft is... it's 32 dudes doing their own mock draft. 

I was being more tongue-in-cheek with the first comment as Cushing was roided up just as much as Matthews, if not way more.  Personally, as long as they don't get caught, I could care less who's on what so long as they're healthy. 

I think it's worth noting for all the people clamoring on about Mingo having no production, Keke's stats in his sophomore year alone was more than Clay had in his entire collegiate career.  Matthews had an insane 10 yard split and shuttle, but Keke being taller, bested him in every other aspect.  It seems people are still so shell-shocked from Gholston being a workout warrior that anytime someone hears the word Potential, they think he's gonna be a bust.  The kid has far too much of a motor and work-ethic for that to happen and little newsflash for those people, you don't want to draft someone who's already peaked, you want someone who actually has room to grow.

Archived