the GM shouldn't undercut the HC on QB

bitonti

because he knows how big an endzone Brandon Moore's Ass is, and rarely runs out the back of directly into it. 

We have 4 years of awful plays to compare to 3 quarters.  Playing the moron card doesn't work when your winner is Sanchez.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For all the Sanchez haters I got two words : David Garrard.

If idzik spent more time doing his job and less doing rexs job, maybe this competition would have been over already.

Wow, I'm impressed it took you this long to pull your "I'm losing the argument so I'm going to change it" shtick.  I've been waiting for you to bring up Garrard for pages now, despite the complete irrelevance he has to the topic you felt the need to start a new thread about.  Come on, try to keep up.

Wow, I'm impressed it took you this long to pull your "I'm losing the argument so I'm going to change it" shtick.  I've been waiting for you to bring up Garrard for pages now, despite the complete irrelevance he has to the topic you felt the need to start a new thread about.  Come on, try to keep up.

the buttfumble has no relevance either. If you guys want to live in the past, let's live there.

based on this preseason, these games, and these practices, Mark deserves to be the starter.

We have 4 years of awful plays to compare to 3 quarters.  Playing the moron card doesn't work when your winner is Sanchez.

Mark Sanchez has 4 playoff wins as QB of the Jets. Anyone care to bet that Geno beats that? The way he looked the other night he might never even make the playoffs as a QB of the Jets. You guys love to bring up buttfumble but disregard all the other good plays. Geno has 1 good drive and 4 awful ones. In preseason. He also injured himself spazzing out on the turf.   You disregard the awful Geno evidence and I'm the one with the "agenda" 

bottom line a head coach is more qualified than a GM to set the line up and declare the starter. Even this head coach. 

Morniwhegs the only guy on the team that's been a HC before. He knows offense. He knows you have to pass to win football games now.

The Rex Giants presser...was the beginning of the end imo. And the ends coming faster than we think. You dont pull a Denny Green on national TV, become a SC blooper loop and keep your job. Unless of course your Mark Sanchez. But those two guys are tied at the hip anyways.

Rex pulled a Denny Green? Gimme a break pal. 

Why do you over-dramatize everything? Rex's PC wasn't friggin' anywhere near as bad as Denny Green's. 

the buttfumble has no relevance either. If you guys want to live in the past, let's live there.

based on this preseason, these games, and these practices, Mark deserves to be the starter.

Deserves? LMFAO

He wouldn't even be on the roster if not for the contract and Garrard retirement.

Based on what I've seen, he "deserves" to be mired in a QB competition with a 2nd round pick that comes down to the 4th pre-season game. That's what he "deserves".

It does when it's in direct response to your claims that Sanchez doesn't make such silly mistakes as Geno did on Saturday, and it ultimately disproves that claim.

To be clear, I had been expecting for a while now for Sanchez to be the opening-day starter (although "deserves" is certainly not a word I would use), with the job eventually being turned over to Geno at some point during the season.  That also likely would have been the case if not for Sanchez's health issues.  That still doesn't change how awful Sanchez is though.

To be clear, I had been expecting for a while now for Sanchez to be the opening-day starter (although "deserves" is certainly not a word I would use), with the job eventually being turned over to Geno at some point during the season.   

me too. SO why hasn't this happened yet? 

Deserves? LMFAO

He wouldn't even be on the roster if not for the contract and Garrard retirement.

Based on what I've seen, he "deserves" to be mired in a QB competition with a 2nd round pick that comes down to the 4th pre-season game. That's what he "deserves".

you call it the Garrard retirement I call it the first dumb Idzik signing. 

Mark Sanchez has 4 playoff wins as QB of the Jets. Anyone care to bet that Geno beats that? The way he looked the other night he might never even make the playoffs as a QB of the Jets. You guys love to bring up buttfumble but disregard all the other good plays. Geno has 1 good drive and 4 awful ones. In preseason. He also injured himself spazzing out on the turf.   You disregard the awful Geno evidence and I'm the one with the "agenda" 

bottom line a head coach is more qualified than a GM to set the line up and declare the starter. Even this head coach. 

You ignore 4 years of evidence of Sanchez's awfulness and try to now give him credit for the team's success in spite of him.  We acknowledge, but choose not to make absurdly extreme conclusions, based on 2 partial preseason games.  So yes, you are the one with the agenda.

The bold was the final nail in your own coffin with that one.  Job well done, you've lost and there is no recovery.

You ignore 4 years of evidence of Sanchez's awfulness and try to now give him credit for the team's success in spite of him.  We acknowledge, but choose not to make absurdly extreme conclusions, based on 2 partial preseason games.  So yes, you are the one with the agenda.

The bold was the final nail in your own coffin with that one.  Job well done, you've lost and there is no recovery.

bet me 100$ Geno SMith never gets a single playoff win as the QB of the NYJ. Let alone 4 wins like Mark. 

you don't actually believe Geno is good you just believe I am wrong.  either way i'll take that money. 

Because Sanchez sucked ass too (before Geno had the opportunity to do so himself) and then got hurt.

Geno had the opportunity to stink in practice and that should have been enough to close this competition. We didn't need to see Geno have 4 turnovers against the Giants (yes i'm counting a safety as a turnover) to know who should have been starting. 

bet me 100$ Geno SMith never gets a single playoff win as the QB of the NYJ. Let alone 4 wins like Mark. 

you don't actually believe Geno is good you just believe I am wrong.  either way i'll take that money. 

I'm not exactly sure what your point here is supposed to be.  I've made it rather clear that I have no idea how Geno will turn out and he could very easily suck.  I'm just not willing to come to that conclusion after 2 partial preseason games, probably because I don't have a blind hatred for Idzik and by association, every decision he's ever made.  I mean, the fact that Mark came onto a substantially better Jets team than the one Geno did (the latter being thanks in part to Mark himself) and the team found some success in spite of him is supposed to prove what exactly?

Keep in mind, none of this has to do with your little narrative with which this thread started.

Geno had the opportunity to stink in practice and that should have been enough to close this competition. We didn't need to see Geno have 4 turnovers against the Giants (yes i'm counting a safety as a turnover) to know who should have been starting. 

So now the same guy who just two weeks ago asserted that a pick 6 doesn't count against a QB's contributions to the team is making a point to count a safety against one?  Very, very interesting.

Perhaps if Sanchez hadn't sucked in the first two preseason games it wouldn't have come to this, but apparently the team felt he didn't do enough to "earn" himself the job, despite any struggles Geno may have had in practice.  So unfortunately for you, it would seem the New York Jets disagreed with your assessment of this matter.

Teams pick their starters before week 3 of the preseason. This is completely unprecedented and there's no way to spin it that it's a good job by the GM. 

Here's a simple idea the GM should be the GM and the HC should be the HC. Bad things happen when well intentioned people try to do too many jobs. 

The Raiders haven't picked their QB for game 1 yet:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp13/story/_/id/9599532/terrelle-pryor-start-oakland-raiders-final-preseason-game

Seriously, the more you post, the more people lose respect for you since it's ridiculously clear you have an agenda and vendetta against Idzik.  I swear if people didn't actually meet you in real life before you would get accused of being a fake account of one of the a$$hole beat writers.

Who's disregarding any evidence against Geno?  Certainly not the guy who just a bit above this post called him: Young, Not Ready, and Bad.  So, all of your accusations are a strawman and entirely baseless.

I'm not willing to bet on Geno's playoff career because at the moment, I don't know if he'll ever even start a game for the Jets, let alone what his career arch will look like.  You see, I've only seen him in very limited action in the preseason, and considering I base my opinions on evidence, I have a partly negative, but mostly unformed opinion of him.  However, if you were to somehow guarantee me the #1 rushing offense and the #1 defense (luxuries for Sanchez early on), I would be willing to bet that Geno could not get in the way enough to win a few games in the playoffs until losing in spectacular fashion when he was called upon to step up.

A bet I would be willing to make is that Sanchez has no more playoff wins in his career.  Yes, he has made some good plays over the course of his 4 years.  So did Joey Harrington and Jamarcus Russel.  However, the amount of bad plays overshadows that in is punctuated by the hilarity that is the buttfumble.  Which, in all likelihood, would not be as much of a running joke if it were done by Matt Ryan or Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers, or any other player for whom the play didn't serve as a microcosm for their entire career.

Bottom line, this coach has gone out of his way to declare he is not in fact competent to declare the starter on offense.  Normally I'd agree with you, but Rex has done everything in his power to remind us that he knows nothing about offense and wants no part in it.  Further, in this specific case, Rex is likely coaching for his job this season, not the long term interests of the franchise.  We are in the process of a rebuild (whether you like to admit it or not), so limiting his control for the future of the franchise is understandable.  Further, in this specific case, when the coach who knows nothing about the offense has his wife tattooed on his arm wearing nothing but the incumbent QBs jersey, he cannot be trusted to be unbiased.

None of this of course takes into consideration the fact that Sanchez is, after all, hurt, and none of us outside the organization know just how badly.

I look forward to your response where you delete my entire post but for a sentence that you can make a halfhearted effort towards contradicting.  Should be a good read.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp13/story/_/id/9599532/terrelle-pryor-start-oakland-raiders-final-preseason-game

Seriously, the more you post, the more people lose respect for you since it's ridiculously clear you have an agenda and vendetta against Idzik.  I swear if people didn't actually meet you in real life before you would get accused of being a fake account of one of the a$$hole beat writers.

Must be false... As I recently read that this was unprecedented.

Serious question when do GMs interfere in lineup choices like this? Besides Jerry jones.

Happened right here with the New York franchise of the American Football League, (later Conference).

I believe it was 1962 when, in the middle of the game, New York Titans owner Harry Wismer went down to the sideline and when the Titans next got the football, ordered a new quarterback into the game.  Meanwhile, the coach had ordered another quarterback into the game.

Both quarbacks stood in the middle of the field while the coach and owner shouted and screamed at each other. 

At the end of the year, the entire New York Titans franchise collapsed due to mismanagement and was replaced by a brand new franchise, the New York Jets.

So you see, Bitonti, your're wrong.  It did happen before.  :biggrin:

Keep in mind, none of this has to do with your little narrative with which this thread started.

if i understand you guys correctly, it's ok that Idzik forced Rex to start Geno in week 3, because Rex is a moron. Once we have a smarter head coach, Idzik won't have to meddle so much. Is that about right? 

not only do people meet me in real life, i post under my real name. SO put that in your pipe and smoke it KSJets. 

As for my "agenda and vendetta" i will be a Jets fan long after Idzik is fired, and so will you. These guys come and go, we are the only ones dumb enough to stick around. 

Nah, that's not fair.  Bits a  good poster, and actually knows football.  Just unbelievably opinionated, and stubborn

So now the same guy who just two weeks ago asserted that a pick 6 doesn't count against a QB's contributions to the team is making a point to count a safety against one?  Very, very interesting.

link?  this is how rumors get started.

the way I remember the conversation, we were arguing 1td/1int vs 0td/0int. A pick 6 is always terrible. 

link?  this is how rumors get started.

the way I remember the conversation, we were arguing 1td/1int vs 0td/0int. A pick 6 is always terrible. 

GM says QB decision will be a collaborative decision. Numbskull says GM says QB decision will be his alone.

Tell us more about rumors... 

if i understand you guys correctly, it's ok that Idzik forced Rex to start Geno in week 3, because Rex is a moron. Once we have a smarter head coach, Idzik won't have to meddle so much. Is that about right? 

Rumors. Tell me moar, plz.

Nah, that's not fair.  Bits a  good poster, and actually knows football.  Just unbelievably opinionated, and stubborn

It's actually not that he's opinionated and stubborn that I think really drives people nuts.  It's his propensity to change the argument, delete everything out of a quote which he has no way to dispute, and/or fabricate baseless claims he presents as facts every time he is proven wrong that is the bigger issue.  You can see every one of those things on display in this very thread.

There's nothing wrong with a good argument, as we're certainly not all going to agree, that's a big part of why we're all here, but handling them in such a manner is another story entirely.

Archived