Crying Begins: Sanchez Afraid He'll Be IR'd

Lizard King

Look, Simms could go out there and crap the bed. But after reading up on him sounds like at Tennesee and at Louisville he was in bad situations with Petrino and Kiffin leaving both schools in the lurch. it doesn't excuse the stupid crap Simms did but it is an explanation. And perhaps he's done some much-needed growing up. The guy has seen some serious adversity and he still is chasing the dream. May be I'm buying too much into what would be a great story, but perhaps the Jets have something really good here and they are about to waste it instead of embraicng it. And handing Smith the job without earning it is in part how Sanchez became a disaster.

He is gong to be 1 play away from getting his chance this Sunday and with Ducasse starting at OG I actually like his chances.   

I am excited to see what Simms can do. 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He is gong to be 1 play away from getting his chance this Sunday and with Ducasse starting at OG I actually like his chances.   

I am excited to see what Simms can do. 

simms ?

keep the sharp objects away sunday when they release the inactives list, lol

Sadly I think your right.  For the Jets to have Quinn active would be just so Jets like

c'mon be fair

you don't active a kid for the #2 spot based on his performance against guys who were cut, and  he's a few years removed from el camino college, and getting kicked out of tennessee for smoking weed

he needs at least another year

c'mon be fair

you don't active a kid for the #2 spot based on his performance against guys who were cut, and  he's a few years removed from el camino college, and getting kicked out of tennessee for smoking weed

he needs at least another year

Or maybe you do

Simms named Jets' backup QB for Sunday

September, 4, 2013

Sep 4

7:52

PM ET

By  Matt Ehalt | ESPNNewYork.com

New York Jets coach Rex Ryan announced Wednesday that Matt Simms is the team's backup quarterback for Sunday's game against Tampa Bay, ahead of recently signed veteran Brady Quinn.

SimmsThe Jets have clearly been impressed with Simms as the Jets kept him over Greg McElroy, who started a game last season. With Mark Sanchez out this week with his right shoulder injury, Simms will be the backup to Geno Smith. Simms, the son of former Giants legend Phil Simms, has yet to throw a pass in the NFL.

In other depth-chart news, Antonio Allen will start alongside Dawan Landry at safety, while Vladimir Ducasse will be the starting left guard. Allen, a 2012 seventh-round pick out of South Carolina, beat out Jaiquawn Jarrett and Josh Bush to earn the starting spot.

"Coming out of college this was one of my goals," Allen said. "I didn't get drafted as high as I wanted to but I knew by my second year I wanted to be starting in this defense."

Allen said he immersed himself in learning the team's scheme, and made sure he performed when he was on the field during the preseason. With the Jets losing both of their starting safeties in the offseason, he knew there was a grand opportunity and he was able to seize it.

"It's a great accomplishment," Allen said. "Happy I did everything I wanted to do this offseason, this camp. Just excited to get out there and play with the guys."

Ducasse, the team's second-round pick in 2010, has been a disappointment thus far in his career as he's been a backup player. This will be his first chance at extended playing time, although it's expected that rookie Brian Winters will eventually take over.

Actually this makes no sense.

I never said it was any  kind of a mistake. if your going to attempt to quote me please actually quote me.  Simms has moved from a guy that realistically had no chance to make the roster in March, to #2 QB on opening day.  Some body noticed something.     

Those same people who put him behind Smith, appear to be the GM who drafted Smith.  It has been suggested many times on here, and in the media, for what ever that's worth, that Idizk was pushing heavily for Smith, and that's why Smith was given preferential treatment leading up to the Giants game.   Getting 3 practices, and a start out of rotation.  Don't know that was going on, and you certainly have no idea it wasn't.  But that is what the evidence indicates.

Not playing a mindless game (Speaking of mindless, it doesn't become a mod to start personal attacks because you disagree with an opinion)

In the 2nd round there were 2 QB needy teams in front of the Jets.  Both passed.   This discussion has nothing to do with Russell Wilson, the being passed over is just evidence that he wasn't highly thought of by NFL GM's during camp.  His play since has reinforced that fact.

As I stated earlier, don't know if Smith is going to be a bust or not.  Just don't see anything that puts him above Simms.  He sure didn't out play him in camp

It is mindless, in that you are not using your mind, to suggest that failing to be drafted in round 1 (or by 2 other teams that have been unsuccessful of late in identifying or securing QB talent for themselves) means a guy sucks or is a bad prospect. Particularly while touting one who wasn't drafted at all (and who was cut at the NFL level, after the draft and after getting up close looks for days/weeks). Saying it's relevant that every team passed on Smith, but not with Wilson, shows either bias or that you aren't using your mind (i.e. "mindless") despite being the same thing. In the end Smith, like Wilson, be good or bad because of what he is, not because of his draft slot.

Again, I don't have a dog in this race. If Simms is better (or to put it more aptly, if he is or can be a really good QB) then he'll get his shot and we all benefit as fans. I couldn't possibly care less if an UDFA we already passed on once wins the job a year later over a guy we took with a top-40 pick. I'll instead be happy the Jets finally have a good, young QB.

But I disagree with the inferred premise that every other NFL team knows better than we do, or that no other team had him rated as a first round talent. All it means is that they either liked another player better (as we did, twice) or that they didn't need a QB enough to warrant pulling the trigger on one in the first round, or what I noted in my last post that there is a different stigma and perceived obligation to dozens of games of chances when a team takes a round 1 QB. There were other reasons teams shied away from Smith earlier in the draft, that we discussed plenty.

Also I place as much credence in the opposite of what Manish Mehta writes as I do in what he writes. He has a clear and biased personal agenda. I'm quite sure Idzik would prefer Smith to Sanchez. I think any GM would be pulling for the cheap guy he drafted more than the expensive failure he inherited. I don't think he'll lose a wink of sleep if Simms beat out Smith (or had Garrard) since Idzik did invite Simms to camp.

But you and others are making it sound as though Smith is being force-fed by the GM contrary to the best interests of the team even though that is counter-productive to his own interests. That the good things Smith has shown the team against our defensive starters are somehow all fabricated in a kiss-up-to-Idzik attempt, and couldn't possibly compare to Simms' play against non-NFL level defenders running vanilla defenses. That the likelihood of some scheming conspiracy is more believable than the coaches thinking they have something more in their highly-touted rookie than in Simms (who was watching football on his sofa just last year, while healthy, because no NFL team was interested). I need proof for that, not the musings of a spiteful, opportunistic, 3rd-rate hack who now writes for a tabloid that is popular among the moderately-literate.

And with all that, if Simms later takes the job from Smith and is any good, I'm thrilled. I'm a Jets fan, not a Geno Smith fan.

Archived