Clyde Gates season over

Scott Dierking

Of all the transactions today I like Salas the best.  Had a excellent career at Hawaii.   Not real fast but very good hands.  Think he had a broken bone last year

I don't know a lot about Salas, but that's more of the kind of move I want to see this season. This is a rebuilding/transition/evaluation year, so why not bring in players who have a chance to maybe earn a roster spot next season? That's what this year is all about, anyway - next year.

More scouring of other teams' practice squads, fewer washed up vets. That's my preference.

Salas wasn't really brought in to replace anybody - maybe to replace Spadola.  They were carrying a bunch of WR because they had so many dinged.  The guy is on the practice squad, Cribbs is the replacement.  He should be dinged soon too.

No Salas is on the regular 53.  he was signed off the Eagles PS.  He must be placed on the full roster

• headshot_Manish_Mehta_normal.jpg
    Jets place WR/KR Clyde Gates & RB Mike Goodson on IR. Sign WR/KR Josh Cribbs. Sign WR Greg Salas off Eagles PS. RB M Maysonet signed to PS
    Beat Writer / Columnist

As the leading and only member of the Clyde Gates fan club I wonder how many weeks/years before Spadola reaches 12 catches?  I am interested that they signed Cribbs instead of Spadola.  That might be that they are pissed that he chose the Dolphins practice squad over theirs, or that Spadola can't return kicks.  The guy was in the offense all year and could have been signed back to the active roster, but they elected to leave him in Miami. 

I think even more telling than the Cribbs signing was the Salas signing, who they signed off the Eagles PS, the very same way they could have signed Spadola off of the Dolphins PS if they had wanted to.  The fact that they went that route seems to be a big ole GFY to Spadola.

I think even more telling than the Cribbs signing was the Salas signing, who they signed off the Eagles PS, the very same way they could have signed Spadola off of the Dolphins PS if they had wanted to.  The fact that they went that route seems to be a big ole GFY to Spadola.

I had initially (mis?)read that Salas was signed to the practice squad. 

Bingo!

IMO it also was very immature of them.

Spadola got his ass in the air because they released him, and left the likes of Gates on the team, so he signed with the Fish.  I have to assume the Jets wanted Spadola because they tried to resign him, and originally wanted him more then Salas because he was on the regular roster.

This smells like they signed a player they didn't like as much because the other guy (Spadola) jilted them.  Expect that from posters, but hope the GM is a bit more mature.

Bingo!

Spadola got his ass in the air because they released him, and left the likes of Gates on the team, so he signed with the Fish.  I have to assume the Jets wanted Spadola because they tried to resign him, and originally wanted him more then Salas because he was on the regular roster.

This smells like they signed a player they didn't like as much because the other guy (Spadola) jilted them.  Expect that from posters, but hope the GM is a bit more mature.

Eh. When you are dealing with this level of sh*tty player there is a layer of "wants to be here" that can differentiate.  There is also the fact that Spadola obviously wasn't ready.  They may have wanted him on the practice squad, but not the active roster.  You could be right, but it is all sheer conjecture at this point. 

Bingo!

You'd hope so.  Only other possibilities which would be a little more understandable were that they went to Spadola first and he shot them down (seems unlikely, but you never know) or that, as someone else suggested, Salas' familiarity with Mornhinweg was a factor in the decision.  We'll see, but the unfortunate reality is that in all likelihood neither one of them will amount to anything in the NFL.

You'd hope so.  Only other possibilities which would be a little more understandable were that they went to Spadola first and he shot them down (seems unlikely, but you never know) or that, as someone else suggested, Salas' familiarity with Mornhinweg was a factor in the decision.  We'll see, but the unfortunate reality is that in all likelihood neither one of them will amount to anything in the NFL.

LOL

After bashing the signing of Salas, I have to say, I don't have a problem with the signing.  Kid isn't real fast (4.56), but was very productive at Hawaii, and has good hands

LOL

After bashing the signing of Salas, I have to say, I don't have a problem with the signing.  Kid isn't real fast (4.56), but was very productive at Hawaii, and has good hands

I really don't have a problem with the signing, and it would be nice if he turned out to be something for the Jets, but I doubt he'll see the field before any of Nelson, Campbell or probably even Cribbs.  Campbell is the one I probably find most intriguing given that there's obviously someone with this team who is a fan of his, considering he's been kept around for a few years now (and was even awarded the roster spot of the immortal Ryan Spadola).

I really don't have a problem with the signing, and it would be nice if he turned out to be something for the Jets, but I doubt he'll see the field before any of Nelson, Campbell or probably even Cribbs.  Campbell is the one I probably find most intriguing given that there's obviously someone with this team who is a fan of his, considering he's been kept around for a few years now (and was even awarded the roster spot of the immortal Ryan Spadola).

Campbell plays specials which might have contributed. 

It's amazing how bad our WR situation is.  I understand Idzik couldn't address all of our needs this past offseason, especially with the cap constraints.  But holy crap are we in bad shape at this position.

So long as Geno progresses, with the cap space we're going to have, WR really needs to be a priority next year.

That could be it, but I can't imagine you keep a guy around on the PS for 2 years with the goal for him to one day play special teams.  Who the hell knows though.

He is big and fast and had a very good camp last year.  Small school guy, so no shock it would take him some time to catch on.  He did have at least one blatant drop last preseason.  I don't think they kept him so he could play specials, but it certainly might be why he was elevated above some others.  

Archived