Mayo Likely Out For Season

BroadwayJoe12

Yahoo Sports reports Patriots WLB Jerod Mayo underwent surgery for a torn pectoral Tuesday, and could miss the rest of the season. If true, it's highly unlikely Mayo plays another down this season. The Patriots have already used their short-term I.R. slot on RB Shane Vereen (wrist surgery). Mayo suffered the injury in Sunday's win over the Saints, but the Pats haven't updated his status since. It would be a big loss for a defense that's already down NT Vince Wilfork. It's worth nothing, however, that Mayo has graded out spectacularly poorly in Pro Football Focus' ratings.
Source: Yahoo Sports

With Wilfork already out for the season with an achilles and Tommy Kelly missing the last game with a knee injury, this would be a huge blow to the patriots defense: Mayo is the captain of that unit, plays every snap and is the only person besides Hightower who has experience in their nickel packages. Even though Hightower is a heck of a player and can fill in admirably for Mayo, there will be a dropoff somewhere on that line: if that defense is without all three of those players, Powell and Ivory should be able to do some damage between the tackles.  

From everything I've ready, it looks like Talib's injury isn't bad, but since it is an injury to the same hip that he hurt badly in 2010, they could be cautious, although they can ill-afford to lose him, so I would put money on him suiting up.  

Edit: Other key injures for that patriots that will probably not be resolved until game-time, even though we'll get a vague update tomorrow.

Danny Amendola: body went dead-limp immediately upon contact and upon getting to his feet, had absolutely no idea where he was and couldn't walk straight.  That was one of the worse concussions I've seen this year and although I'm not a betting man, I'd put money on him not passing tests by Sunday.
Dan Connolly: another concussion, didn't seem as bad as Amendola's, I'd suspect he has a better chance of playing. 
Gronk: The word coming out of Foxboro is that Gronk and his party is extremely disappointed with not only the surgery to his forearm, but the decision to have surgery and ultimately not wait it out. My guess is he is not going to play until Dr. James Andrews gives him the okay, which once again plays into the rift between Gronk and others. There seems to be a growing level of resentment in that locker room. Just because it's our luck, I think he'll suit up, but hopefully we catch a break and he sits one out again.

No way Amendola plays next week after getting KO'd.  Pec surgery for Mayo pretty much guarantees he is done for the year.

The way Amendola was knocked out reminded me a lot of the Ridley hit last year, it's hard to imagine he'll be playing this week, but who knows.  The bad news for the pats is that I don't believe they have any more room on the short term IR, so even if he is physically able to come back for the playoffs, I'm not sure he'd be eligible.  ***Don't know the exact rules of the short-term IR, so I could be wrong about this. 

Somehow, injuries have close to zero impact in Belichik's teams.  The fekkin' guy won double-digit games with a QB who hadn't started since HS, and the Jets can't pull that off with first round picks playing the position.  They lose their top D-lineman and they come out and find a way to beat at top-5 QB.  All they do is win.

Somehow, injuries have close to zero impact in Belichik's teams. The fekkin' guy won double-digit games with a QB who hadn't started since HS, and the Jets can't pull that off with first round picks playing the position. They lose their top D-lineman and they come out and find a way to beat at top-5 QB. All they do is win.

This is so true. And how sad that we have to look forward to scavaging for wins...possibly...against injury depleted teams. I hate to say it and I hope im wrong but the patsies will probably beat the Jets handily on Sunday.

Archived