Jets' Players Want Rex Extended

flgreen

Arent you the guy who started a thread saying the Jets should 2-6 largely because the roster sucks and you blame Rex Ryan for the current make up of the team?

Pretty sure that happened...too lazy to find the thread. 

I did in fact start a thread stating that we were very fortunate NOT to be 2-6, but I was not blaming the roster at all. I am not blaming Rex for the current makeup of the team, but I have said, and will continue to say that Rex had a very big say in the way this team was built PRIOR to this year. I think most rational people with a brain can see that was the case.

I like Rex a lot, and want to see him extended. But you and JF80 have a creepy love affair with him akin to a 13 year old girl and Justin Beaver or whatever the hell his name is. You both want to give him all the credit for anything good, and absolve him of anything wrong with the team ever.

You were one of the biggest chirpers in my Players vs. Coaching post earlier in the year when you thought the Jets would have a bad team this year, said it was all players and very little coaching. Yet now you want to say the roster is terrible and the only reason we are 5-4 is because we have a great coach.

I said before the year and stick with it, this was a 9-7 to 10-6 team, I will dig up the posts if you need me to.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did in fact start a thread stating that we were very fortunate NOT to be 2-6, but I was not blaming the roster at all. I am not blaming Rex for the current makeup of the team, but I have said, and will continue to say that Rex had a very big say in the way this team was built PRIOR to this year. I think most rational people with a brain can see that was the case.

I like Rex a lot, and want to see him extended. But you and JF80 have a creepy love affair with him akin to a 13 year old girl and Justin Beaver or whatever the hell his name is. You both want to give him all the credit for anything good, and absolve him of anything wrong with the team ever.

You were one of the biggest chirpers in my Players vs. Coaching post earlier in the year when you thought the Jets would have a bad team this year, said it was all players and very little coaching. Yet now you want to say the roster is terrible and the only reason we are 5-4 is because we have a great coach.

I said before the year and stick with it, this was a 9-7 to 10-6 team, I will dig up the posts if you need me to.

You were saying...

I thought going into the season that this was a 9-7 or 10-6 team. This team is on par talent wise with the 2009 team. I am/was a huge Rex fan, but I am starting to lose my affection for him.

If not for two completely gifts if penalties against the winless Bucs and the Patriots, we would be sitting at 2-6 right now.

The second half of the schedule is a cake walk, so we will still get to 9-7 most likely, and could squeeze into the playoffs, but luck is not a strategy.

Unfortunately the team we are watching is several years in the making. We have bolstered up out Dline and drafted/signed high pick CBs at the expense if out WRs and TE position.

At some point this organization is going to have to move on past 1985, it's a different league, we need to build our team to today's league. I love what Rex brought to the Jets, but I blame him more than anyone for the way this team is made up, dline and CBs are the mark of Rex.

2-6 is where we should be.

Oh, so who's making things up now? 

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

According to FO, we have the 21st ranked run-blocking line and 28th-best pass-protecting O-line.  We've allowed 31 sacks.  True, a lot of that is due to Geno holding onto the ball too long.  But that doesn't help your argument.  It's hard to argue that a team with a QB going through growing pains has a top 16 roster, given how important the QB is.

Thanks for bringing some solid facts/stats to the table in this discussion.

Yep.  She's a chick by the way:

Yep, I also really live in a land far, far away, thanks for noticing.

I stand by that post. Rex did a great job against NO, and overall has done a good job with this team this year, but the team was very, very fortunate not to be 2-6 at that point in time, and are very fortunate not to be 3-6 right now. That does not mean we don't have the talent to be better, we do, and should be.

We are going to finish 10-6 or 11-5, which is probably a game or two better than I thought we would, and I would attribute at least one of those to be based on the two gift penalties that saved/won games for us.

OK, can you give me all the teams with better LB'ers than we have?

I don't have time to look up every team right now, but can say right off the bat that SF, Denver, Carolina, NE, and probably 2/3 of the teams in the NFL have better LB units than we do.  Davis is a good young players, but still learning the game.  Harris is good, but limited and way overpaid.  Pace is pretty good against the run and pretty awful as a pass rusher.  Barnes is still pretty good but he's on IR.  After that we have the likes of Nick Bellore, Troy Davis, Ricky Sapp and McIntyre.  You really want to say that that unit is better than most?

You were saying...

Umm, yeah, I stand by all of that. PRIOR to this year, Rex had a very big hand in the way the roster was constructed, it's pretty well documented. If this team is 3-6 right now, I would be disappointed with Rex's overall body of work this year because I think this is a better team than a 3-6 team. Im not blaming Rex for the team he built, I like him, but I do expect him to win with the team he has helped build. I don't think that is too much to ask at all. Are you suggesting he had little to nothing to do with the way the team was constructed prior to this year? That basically Tanny just went CB and DL crazy on his own with no input from Rex?

I don't have time to look up every team right now, but can say right off the bat that SF, Denver, Carolina, NE, and probably 2/3 of the teams in the NFL have better LB units than we do.  Davis is a good young players, but still learning the game.  Harris is good, but limited and way overpaid.  Pace is pretty good against the run and pretty awful as a pass rusher.  Barnes is still pretty good but he's on IR.  After that we have the likes of Nick Bellore, Troy Davis, Ricky Sapp and McIntyre.  You really want to say that that unit is better than most?

I think our core of LB'ers is behind those that you mention, but there are not too many teams other than those you mention that are better, just the way the NFL is today. 

I dont get involved in the, "lets point the finger at who was the decision maker from a player perspective" argument because its stupid and nobody really knows.  Because I like Rex and have heard many times he has very little to do with it, I side on blaming the GM who had a passion for stupid trades and terrible contracts.  Its just dumb, depending on your agenda all the bad picks were Rex and the good picks/players were Mangini or some combo of something else...but not Rex.  Pointless banter.

I'm the most rational poster on this site.  Just look at my work.  I get it.  Many dont.  That's why my retorts are always calculated and I never let my emotions get in the way.  That said, Rex has many shortcomings but I think the positives outweigh the negatives and I really dont think we'll find a better suited Head Coach for this team.  I dont think Rex deserves and extension right now, thats absurd.  I do believe he's one the very best in the biz and hands down the primary reason for the success of the team, thus far.  The dude can coach.  He's the strength of this team.

I'm not sure what the rest of your post is about.  It is about the players...but when you dont have players, like the Jets, its probably got something to do with coaching, no? 

Umm, yeah, I stand by all of that. PRIOR to this year, Rex had a very big hand in the way the roster was constructed, it's pretty well documented. If this team is 3-6 right now, I would be disappointed with Rex's overall body of work this year because I think this is a better team than a 3-6 team. Im not blaming Rex for the team he built, I like him, but I do expect him to win with the team he has helped build. I don't think that is too much to ask at all. Are you suggesting he had little to nothing to do with the way the team was constructed prior to this year? That basically Tanny just went CB and DL crazy on his own with no input from Rex?

Stand by what?  You've completely contradicted yourself.  lol

I think our core of LB'ers is behind those that you mention, but there are not too many teams other than those you mention that are better, just the way the NFL is today. 

No, it's just that there haven't been that many great LBers in each of the last 5 drafts (or more).  There's usually been 5 or fewer good OLB prospects in a 3-4 and a couple of good 4-3 OLB prospects and maybe 1 really good MLB/ILB prospect, but then a bunch of middling prospects.  If the NFL is that way, it's not by design or choice.  That's one reason why TEs have become so dominant.  Most DBs can't cover TEs.  The TEs are too big and strong.  There just aren't that many LBs who are good in coverage with more teams passing, especially to TEs.  It may take a few years, but the LBers will catch up, and offenses will have to find some other way other than TEs to beat teams.

Yep, I also really live in a land far, far away, thanks for noticing.

I stand by that post. Rex did a great job against NO, and overall has done a good job with this team this year, but the team was very, very fortunate not to be 2-6 at that point in time, and are very fortunate not to be 3-6 right now. That does not mean we don't have the talent to be better, we do, and should be.

We are going to finish 10-6 or 11-5, which is probably a game or two better than I thought we would, and I would attribute at least one of those to be based on the two gift penalties that saved/won games for us.

Well here's the bottom line, in my mind:

1.  We have a raw, rookie QB

2.  We have a young roster that has pockets of talent, particularly at DL.

3.  In some instances, we've been completely out-manned.  The Titans and Bengals games stand out in that respect.  We were destroyed at the point of attack and everything collapsed from there.

4.  By the same token, we've come out on top in 5 of our 6 "50/50 games" that could have gone either way.  When it happens that often, that's not luck.

5.  We've also had at least 2-3 wins we had no business getting (Saints, Pats, Falcons - Julio hadn't gone down yet)

It's hard to make the argument that Rex hasn't had a huge part in our success.  And it's equally hard to argue we should be BETTER than 5-4 given our talent level, schedule, youth at QB and the roster as a whole.  You CAN easily argue we should have a much worse record than we do.  But we don't.  And Rex deserves a lot of credit.  It comes down to the coach to find ways to WIN GAMES in the close ones, and he has.

If we collapse down the stretch, the Rex haters can and should come out in full force.  But nothing I've seen from this team suggests that will happen.  We MAY get blown out by the Panthers and Ravens if we catch them on their good days.  But the rest of our games are very winnable. 

I dont get involved in the, "lets point the finger at who was the decision maker from a player perspective" argument because its stupid and nobody really knows.  Because I like Rex and have heard many times he has very little to do with it, I side on blaming the GM who had a passion for stupid trades and terrible contracts.  Its just dumb, depending on your agenda all the bad picks were Rex and the good picks/players were Mangini or some combo of something else...but not Rex.  Pointless banter.

I'm the most rational poster on this site.  Just look at my work.  I get it.  Many dont.  That's why my retorts are always calculated and I never let my emotions get in the way.  That said, Rex has many shortcomings but I think the positives outweigh the negatives and I really dont think we'll find a better suited Head Coach for this team.  I dont think Rex deserves and extension right now, thats absurd.  I do believe he's one the very best in the biz and hands down the primary reason for the success of the team, thus far.  The dude can coach.  He's the strength of this team.

I'm not sure what the rest of your post is about.  It is about the players...but when you dont have players, like the Jets, its probably got something to do with coaching, no? 

I like Rex too, and I think the good outways the bad as well, however I have no problem calling out Rex when I think he is at fault.

My sole premise in this thread is that our roster is not as bad as people are making it out to be. I think Rex has done a good job, but I also think he has an average roster, not a great one, not a terrible one, somewhere in the middle of the pack.

I think to sit here and say how horrible our roster is, and the sole reason we are 5-4 is because of Rex is very short sighted. He has a very big hand in it, just like he did with last years team and the one before that.

Stand by what?  You've completely contradicted yourself.  lol

Im not sure how I contradicted myself at all, I have been pretty consistent. I think  this is a middle tier team that is constructed largely how Rex wanted it constructed, DL and CB and a solid running game. I also think if this team was 3-6 right now, we would be underperforming, but we are not, we are 5-4 which is where I feel we should be. And a reason I feel we should be is we have a good HC who is one of the best defensive minds in the game. I have been pretty consistent with everything I have said time and time again. I do post out of emotion at times, I love this team and get really pissed when they lose, and really happy when they win, but I have been pretty consistent.

I like Rex too, and I think the good outways the bad as well, however I have no problem calling out Rex when I think he is at fault.

My sole premise in this thread is that our roster is not as bad as people are making it out to be. I think Rex has done a good job, but I also think he has an average roster, not a great one, not a terrible one, somewhere in the middle of the pack.

I think to sit here and say how horrible our roster is, and the sole reason we are 5-4 is because of Rex is very short sighted. He has a very big hand in it, just like he did with last years team and the one before that.

I dont think anyone on this site is saying the Rex is the "sole" reason.  I've stated I believe he's the primary reason. 

The 5-4 start is a combo of multiple things.  Idzik's professionalism + Rex's ability to lead and coach + Marty's ability to put Geno is a position to succeed + QB who isnt a complete liability = mild success - the fact our roster largely sucks.

Typically, when your best player and only pro-bowl caliber player on the roster is a DE, your roster sucks.

Yes, invested heavily in the past, but the past doesn't matter one whit right now.  Vilma doesn't count because that was even pre-Tanny and he has been on the Saints longer than I think he was the Jets, and until Davis was never replaced with a quality young drafted LB.  With the exception of Davis, Harris and Gholston, all the other players you mentioned were either older FAs (Scott & Pace) or, like Thomas, have aged off the team.  Pace shouldn't be here this year, but is for vet minimum.  Hardly what I'd call a big investment.  I was speaking in terms of the present team.  Aside from Harris, there is NO heavy investment at the LB position on this team.  Demario Davis is still playing on a pretty cheap rookie contract.  Barnes was a fairly cheap FA.  Bellore a UDFA.  McIntyre a cheap FA from the CFL.  Sapp a cast-off, cheap FA.  Josh Mauga a UDFA if I'm not mistaken.  Troy Davis a UDFA.  Danny Lansanah a UDFA. Harris is grossly overpaid, but he hardly makes up for the rest of the unit so that one could claim that the team is heavily invested at the LB position.  How is that heavily invested?  

To be fair, we've traded away a lot of draft picks and had a lot of holes to fill because of it.  Only so much one can do in 1 season.

Also there weren't a lot of LBers to "invest" in this past off-season with the resources available, and I suspect if we did so the fans would have been up in arms for investing there instead of offense offense offense.  Look at the uproar after our first 2 picks.  If our only big splash was at LB it would have only added to it.

Also the plan, as it seems to me, was to see who was available at the draft so we could draft BPA without the pressure of "we just added a LBer last month" influencing the pick.  As it turned out, we didn't draft one.  However they didn't know then who would have been available, including at #9.  Wasn't Mingo supposed to be high on their list (and that of many others)? If Milliner was taken in his slot (entirely possible) we may have taken him instead.  Except if he was truly their BPA they wouldn't want to be in a position where they really should pass up on the top guy on their entire board because they just spent $4M-8M/year on a free agent the prior month.

Build through the draft, fill in the blanks in free agency.  I sense we're going to be doing some building in the draft anyway, next year, since the fan base isn't going to tolerate waiting for year 3 of Idzik before they tap into their massive cap space (nor should they tolerate it). But 1 year? Hey there was a lot of trash to take out and it was mid-late April before they knew what was going to be with Revis (and by extension, their draft board).

Im not sure how I contradicted myself at all, I have been pretty consistent. I think  this is a middle tier team that is constructed largely how Rex wanted it constructed, DL and CB and a solid running game. I also think if this team was 3-6 right now, we would be underperforming, but we are not, we are 5-4 which is where I feel we should be. And a reason I feel we should be is we have a good HC who is one of the best defensive minds in the game. I have been pretty consistent with everything I have said time and time again. I do post out of emotion at times, I love this team and get really pissed when they lose, and really happy when they win, but I have been pretty consistent.

"I'm not blaming Rex for the current make up of the team" vs. "I blame Rex for the current make up of the team" is a contradiction, no?  

I dont think anyone on this site is saying the Rex is the "sole" reason.  I've stated I believe he's the primary reason. 

The 5-4 start is a combo of multiple things.  Idzik's professionalism + Rex's ability to lead and coach + Marty's ability to put Geno is a position to succeed + QB who isnt a complete liability = mild success - the fact our roster largely sucks.

Typically, when your best player and only pro-bowl caliber player on the roster is a DE, your roster sucks.

I agree with a lot you say, but I watch a lot of football games, and I still say that while our skill position players are sub-par, our lines are not sub-par and as a while our roster is middle tier, not top tier, not bottom tier. Rex has done a very good job, one of the best things he did was hire a competent OC, he gets credit for that, just like I blame him for hiring Sprano and supporting Sanchez as long as he did. Rex  is absolutely a reason for our record, but as you and others have said, the players gotta play, and if this is such a horrible roster, no amount of great HC'ing is going to make this a good team.

"I'm not blaming Rex for the current make up of the team" vs. "I blame Rex for the current make up of the team" is a contradiction, no?  

You are coming at it from the stance that the roster sucks, I am not. I think the roster is decent. I don't think you blame a HC for a decent roster, you blame him if you have a bad roster that he had a part in building. I am saying that the way the roster is made up is the way in which Rex wanted it built up. I am not blaming him for it at all, but I do expect him to win games with the type of roster he wanted, and he is so there is not much of a problem. Some of you guys are saying Rex was saddled with the worst roster of all time, and becuase he is the greatest coach in the history of all professinal and college sports, he has taken this horrible roster and miraculously got 5-4 out of it.

Its all based on your perspective, of which we have different perspective. I am fine with that, that is what makes the forums interesting.

To be fair, we've traded away a lot of draft picks and had a lot of holes to fill because of it.  Only so much one can do in 1 season.

Also there weren't a lot of LBers to "invest" in this past off-season with the resources available, and I suspect if we did so the fans would have been up in arms for investing there instead of offense offense offense.  Look at the uproar after our first 2 picks.  If our only big splash was at LB it would have only added to it.

Also the plan, as it seems to me, was to see who was available at the draft so we could draft BPA without the pressure of "we just added a LBer last month" influencing the pick.  As it turned out, we didn't draft one.  However they didn't know then who would have been available, including at #9.  Wasn't Mingo supposed to be high on their list (and that of many others)? If Milliner was taken in his slot (entirely possible) we may have taken him instead.  Except if he was truly their BPA they wouldn't want to be in a position where they really should pass up on the top guy on their entire board because they just spent $4M-8M/year on a free agent the prior month.

Build through the draft, fill in the blanks in free agency.  I sense we're going to be doing some building in the draft anyway, next year, since the fan base isn't going to tolerate waiting for year 3 of Idzik before they tap into their massive cap space (nor should they tolerate it). But 1 year? Hey there was a lot of trash to take out and it was mid-late April before they knew what was going to be with Revis (and by extension, their draft board).

Hey, I totally agree with every point you've made in this post.  I understand why Idzik didn't/couldn't make a heavy investment in the LB position this year and agree with his not doing so.  My main points were just that 1) Our LB corps (particularly the OLB unit) is way below average talent and speed-wise and 2) that the moves Tanny made were either bad or non-existent, so there is no "heavy investment" in the LB corps on this team.  I trust that Idzik will address this in either FA and/or the draft this year or next at the latest.  Harris will probably be replaced by 2015 or 2016 at the latest.  Assuming they do a good job with that pick, the Jets will be in excellent shape at ILB.  Let's just hope they do the same at OLB.

I agree with a lot you say, but I watch a lot of football games, and I still say that while our skill position players are sub-par, our lines are not sub-par and as a while our roster is middle tier, not top tier, not bottom tier. Rex has done a very good job, one of the best things he did was hire a competent OC, he gets credit for that, just like I blame him for hiring Sprano and supporting Sanchez as long as he did. Rex  is absolutely a reason for our record, but as you and others have said, the players gotta play, and if this is such a horrible roster, no amount of great HC'ing is going to make this a good team.

There's a reason people were picking the Jets to battle the Jags for the first overall pick.  I tend to side with you, I like the young talent on this roster and I think there is some promise for the future but when you look at the Jets in the offseason and see 11 news starters, 5 rookies, you're not typically viewing a very solid roster.  Maybe they are down the road but not immediately. 

You are coming at it from the stance that the roster sucks, I am not. I think the roster is decent. I don't think you blame a HC for a decent roster, you blame him if you have a bad roster that he had a part in building. I am saying that the way the roster is made up is the way in which Rex wanted it built up. I am not blaming him for it at all, but I do expect him to win games with the type of roster he wanted, and he is so there is not much of a problem. Some of you guys are saying Rex was saddled with the worst roster of all time, and becuase he is the greatest coach in the history of all professinal and college sports, he has taken this horrible roster and miraculously got 5-4 out of it.

Its all based on your perspective, of which we have different perspective. I am fine with that, that is what makes the forums interesting.

I'm 100% positive that nobody on this board has said the Jets have the "worst roster of all time" or "Rex is the greatest coach in the history of sports".  Soo, I'm not really following you here...you clearly contradicted yourself and I highlighted it...but its not a big deal.  We can move on.  

There's a reason people were picking the Jets to battle the Jags for the first overall pick.  I tend to side with you, I like the young talent on this roster and I think there is some promise for the future but when you look at the Jets in the offseason and see 11 news starters, 5 rookies, you're not typically viewing a very solid roster.  Maybe they are down the road but not immediately. 

I'm 100% positive that nobody on this board has said the Jets have the "worst roster of all time" or "Rex is the greatest coach in the history of sports".  Soo, I'm not really following you here...you clearly contradicted yourself and I highlighted it...but its not a big deal.  We can move on.  

The reason most people were picking the Jets to be so bad is they were a 6 win team last year, and many assumed Rex was a dead man walking. I thought it was stupid all along, and said it before the season. I thought the defense led by Rex would be very good, and the replacement of Sparano with Marty, and Sanchez with anyone would be worth a few wins. I also thought Bart Scott was terrible last year, and that the defense with Sheldon in and Davis instead of Scott would be an improvement. The fact that Geno has been better than expected is only a benefit. I don't think this is a very solid roster either, but I think there are more levels than just very solid and horrible. I think this is a middle tier roster, and with a good coach and a soft schedule, they are were they should be.

I was obviously exaggerating, but I have read countless posts about how horrible of a roster this is, and how great of a job Rex is doing with this horrible roster to have a winning record. I don't think I have contradicted myself at all. I think Rex is doing a good job, and the roster is better than people make it out to be, Im not sure why both cannot be happening, I don't see it as a contradiction at all.

JF80 getting open-hand bitch-smacked all day long>>>>>>>

In what universe is this happening?  Because you say it is?

You unilaterally despise Rex Ryan.  We get it.  You've been calling for his head after wins.  You're not enjoying this season.  You keep saying "Just wait till he's 6-10 in 3 years" like that means anything. 

You're a mess, Shane.

I think this is a middle tier roster, and with a good coach and a soft schedule, they are were they should be.

Don't see how you can argue that the schedule has been soft.  At worst it's been an average schedule (opponents are 37-39 overall).  4 of our 9 games were against division leaders, and we won 2 of those games.  We were picked by everyone to lose to the Falcons on the road, who at the time had a healthy Julio Jones.  Obviously the Bucs are terrible but they had a healthy Doug Martin when we faced them and were also favored. 

Our final 7, now THAT's a pretty easy schedule.  Our opponents in our final 7 contests are a combined 26-32.

Don't see how you can argue that the schedule has been soft. At worst it's been an average schedule (opponents are 37-39 overall). 4 of our 9 games were against division leaders, and we won 2 of those games. We were picked by everyone to lose to the Falcons on the road, who at the time had a healthy Julio Jones. Obviously the Bucs are terrible but they had a healthy Doug Martin when we faced them and were also favored.

Our final 7, now THAT's a pretty easy schedule. Our opponents in our final 7 contests are a combined 26-32.

You are right , it has not been soft. Overall the schedule is soft when u count in the last 7 are really soft, but to date it's been decent.

In what universe is this happening? Because you say it is?

You unilaterally despise Rex Ryan. We get it. You've been calling for his head after wins. You're not enjoying this season. You keep saying "Just wait till he's 6-10 in 3 years" like that means anything.

You're a mess, Shane.

I'm enjoying watching Geno develop. I'm enjoying watching Idzik clean house. I'm even enjoying Humble Rex.

I'm saddened by some beaten down Jets fans rocking hard-ons because their head coach, in the fifth year of his regime, might get the team to .500.

Archived